OT: Been off FIFA and trading real cards, I just Pulled the Grail!

Comments

• LuckyStrikE
    3524 posts National Call-Up
    iSptmnky wrote: »
    Well you know, I wish you all the luck with that "Investment". I just think it is highly speculative.

You invest in a companies stock based on what? No speculation there.

Well behind most companies, there is at least some value, such as assets, technology, intellectual property etc. You can't tell me it's the same for some piece of paper.

U have human error that can occur, scandals that can make a stock go bankrupt. Jordan won his title as the greatest ever and only see his value rising. The vintage cards like his are actually lagging behind because of print runs imo but still could rise. The new Era took care of that by releasing limited parallels. Even artists like Ermsi are making cards and have parallels that they sign or artist print runs out of 20. Check out what Topps Project 2020 is doing with artists from the New Era, some are Jewelry designers like Ben Baller. This market is going big now.
  • Tesco
    8315 posts League Winner
    Find it very interesting tbh.

Card collecting for sports is huge in America, but the football market is bigger in Europe.

Will be interesting to see if they can garner long term growth in Europe with these newer cards with limited runs and signatures.
  • LuckyStrikE
    Tesco wrote: »

Card collecting for sports is huge in America, but the football market is bigger in Europe.

Will be interesting to see if they can garner long term growth in Europe with these newer cards with limited runs and signatures.

Boom you hit it. This is why im going hard on soccer, because it is lagging immensely against the other main sports in the US and soccer is world wide and my favorite sport. But it is catching up. Messi rc psa 10 just went for 125k, thats more than jordan RC.

I just bought 3 lewandowski Topps chrome 2013/14 for 10 dollars a piece. I think that is solid if he can get a golden boot and win more champions league.

Panini stickers are even selling graded. The first haaland sticker is up already.
  • Vinny1979
    6105 posts Big Money Move
    @LuckyStrikE

I have a full set of space jam trading cards from the 90s

You know the bugs bunny Michael Jordan film

You wanna buy them

Autographed by Jordan and bugs bunny

:trollface:

I’d grade them a 9/10

Been sat in a Man Utd pint glass since I was 16 😂

Seen them hit £2 on ebay
  • NornIron
    15480 posts World Class
    edited November 2020
    Tesco wrote: »

Americans have started buying the old panini stickers that have been worth nearly nothing in Europe for the last 40/50 years.
    Hopefully it keeps going up.
  • Richard
    11766 posts Has That Special Something
    Cant some chinese company easily copy these cards?
  • ccooaattssyy
    18289 posts World Class
    What is the current value of the card?
  • iSptmnky
    14411 posts Has That Special Something

250k :trollface:
  • LuckyStrikE

I would say 10k-20k raw. The way I list stuff. Would be at 75k and taking offers and just let it simmer there for advertisement to my other listings lol
  • LuckyStrikE
    Vinny1979 wrote: »
    @LuckyStrikE

I have a full set of space jam trading cards from the 90s

You know the bugs bunny Michael Jordan film

You wanna buy them

Autographed by Jordan and bugs bunny

:trollface:

I’d grade them a 9/10

Been sat in a Man Utd pint glass since I was 16 😂

Seen them hit £2 on ebay

😆
  • LuckyStrikE

250k :trollface:

I would ask for more than that if it gets graded a black label 10.
  • LuckyStrikE
    I found all this out because I got into my first break just to get some soccer cards and picked Man U. On the live opening, a white obsidian contra /7 Rookie of Chong came out. I had people messaging me from Asia trying to buy it for 200 right away lol. I was like wth is this. Then from there saw demand in Asia is already high on soccer, nba and baseball. Collectors needing to complete sets of colors including the 1/1. These collectors were missing the contra. I have already been contacted by people from Columbia to Austria to Asia for trying to make a deal on the ronaldo. Told them all not for sale. My friend in investments for Chase said hold and be patient and grade.
  • LuckyStrikE
    RebelRob wrote: »
    Richard wrote: »
    Benn wrote: »
    Nuts how trading cards are blowing up

Wish I’d of kept my old match Attax cards

If I had kept all of my old pokemon cards I could have probably had £5-10k easily from them when they blew up initially a few years ago 😭

They aint worth that much last time I checked. Only very specific first gen first print ones.
    CeeQue wrote: »
    If I had kept all of my old YuGiOh cards I could have probably had £5-10k easily from them when they blew up initially a few years ago 😭

I had a scrape book of nothing but 1st edition cards too.

I had every first gen, and definitely had multiple of the charizards 1st gen that seemed to go for a few k during the mental period at the start. Kicked myself almost literally for not keeping them.

Also, grats @LuckyStrikE ! Guess that’s the holy grail then. Will you be keeping it?

Thanks man will be holding on for now until I can get it reviewed for condition incase it can grade higher than a 9 mint. 9 mint is the baseline and raw cards sell a little under this amount I guess because it is graded encased and the condition is verified no to be under that.
  • OoSUPERDANoO
    15014 posts Moderator
    For some reason this is really interesting to me!

Where can I learn abit more? There seems to be 100s of cards :D

I just want the basic info start to finish, then I can get excited about watching people opening the packs!
  • LuckyStrikE
    Benn wrote: »
    Scutch wrote: »

Okay where do I buy these packs lol

Topps or panini site when released, but Topps go fast, unwed a bot. I missed boxes of the new museum collection at 125 a piece. Sold out in 30 sec. After its 388 and fluctuate from there. You can flip the box itself immediately for profit. But the caveat is you won't get a box that cheap to take a chance at hitting a big card.

Try ebay just be careful its a known seller
  • LuckyStrikE

I just want the basic info start to finish, then I can get excited about watching people opening the packs!

Pm me.
  • LuckyStrikE

I have a cazorla for you I think in my stacks. Some cards have amazing patches from game worn material and sometimes auto too. Just beautiful pieces to keep for personal collection. Like santi is not that high value and you could acquire nice pieces from him at good prices.
  • EddieFicio
    22914 posts Club Captain

Pm me.

Do forward the info to me if possible.
  • LuckyStrikE
    EddieFicio wrote: »

Pm me.

Do forward the info to me if possible.

Pm me and I will copy paste what I wrote dan
  • ccooaattssyy
    18289 posts World Class
    I suppose they are ultimately football memorabilia, but there are much cooler pieces of that to own!
  • LuckyStrikE
    I suppose they are ultimately football memorabilia, but there are much cooler pieces of that to own!

Funny but that is a part of this too. I also got the hit parade boxes of memorabilia for soccer, but I hit Sturridge England jersey autographed with certificates and from a different location I got one and it was the ball signed by him too. I won one more and hit a Montreal impact MLS game used ball signed by 21 of the players.
  • ccooaattssyy
    18289 posts World Class
    Also did you win this on a “break”? Have you now received the card?
  • LuckyStrikE
    Here is some of my personal collection pieces. Not as good as some I have seen from seasoned collectors in soccer, but not bad imo.
    4d2cb3d25d871e9e87f8e28f45b0ed9a.jpg
  • LuckyStrikE

I have received almost all thes from breaks but that ronaldo came out of a case of boxes I ordered from blowout cards site. I had 2 boxes left and felt an itch to crack them. I had 4 before that and split 2 with a friend and he picked the 2 boxes. He was probably like omg I picked the wrong 2 boxes when he saw the ronaldo come out of my last 2 boxes left. But we hit a haaland base and haaland blue /150 which was more than the 2 boxes alone.
  • Keano
    20372 posts Club Captain
    I’m actually intrigued by it all tbh. I like collections of things like this, just worry they get outdated or less cared for. Plus this seems really expensive and cant be putting hundreds into this, gotta be saving for that family life 😂
  • ccooaattssyy
    18289 posts World Class
    edited November 2020

I have received almost all thes from breaks but that ronaldo came out of a case of boxes I ordered from blowout cards site. I had 2 boxes left and felt an itch to crack them. I had 4 before that and split 2 with a friend and he picked the 2 boxes. He was probably like omg I picked the wrong 2 boxes when he saw the ronaldo come out of my last 2 boxes left. But we hit a haaland base and haaland blue /150 which was more than the 2 boxes alone.

Interesting. Is panini the go to in football cards?

Why are the boxes so expensive? Are they like this by design? If I think of stickers, they were dirt cheap.
  • LuckyStrikE

Why are the boxes so expensive? Are they like this by design? If I think of stickers, they were dirt cheap.

Yeah the prices went up about 3 months ago when chronicles released. The whole market rose for every sport. Topps.com. is your best chance at first release to get cheap boxes. But you got 30 sec to get one or more lol. After that you paying 3x that first release price. It is expensive now and thats why I get in breaks that are worth it. If I can't find a break I like, I save for a personal box. The case I bought was investment. But price dropped 100 and I wanted to get them all sold so I could get another case. But I caved and opened 4 myself lol. Broke 4 with others.
  • LuckyStrikE
    Some of those rising actually in value.
  • LuckyStrikE

Topps seems to be good too. Prizm by panini is the hottest product in every sport. Premiere league prizm i had bought a Jumbo box for 275 before they rocketed up to 700.
  • Keano
    20372 posts Club Captain
    My issue is just if you're getting into it you have to go price heavy straight away, there isnt really a small way to get into it & slowly build from what i'm seeing.