Unskilled player = doom?

JWNYsg
6816 posts Big Money Move
Guys I have played FUT since 16

I am not the dribbler kind of guy.

I am a very basic player with no ability on skill moves. Can only do very basic controls

This year have been placed in Div 5 so far

I have watched countless videos of pros and players but I really can’t perform any of these medium-high skill moves. Like in 20. I don’t even know how to do dragback or am not usually accustomed to do a fake shot even during 1 v 1 scenarios.

Will this be likely reason I can’t excel or move to higher divisions?

Honest answers are appreciated with thanks

Comments

• Notformeclive
    2735 posts Fans' Favourite
    I'm the same as the above comment, they are probably an advantage if you are good at them but not essential.
    Getting good at left stick dribbling can compensate, you need to be able to twist and turn, practice just touching the left stick slightly in each direction when you are dribbling, not all the way, basically wiggle it and it will give you much tighter turning circles.
    This can be just as good.
  • Delboy13710
    9400 posts League Winner
    BARTM8N wrote: »
    At last a kindred spirit summing up my last 10 years of fifa, the extraordinary amount of skill controls which are used IMO make it almost impossible to play against or win if you can’t manage it. I do think it’s ironic that people moan massively every year that fifa is not realistic, but they use loads of skill moves every game, yet i’ve yet to watch 4 games on super sunday on sky where you see it done 3 times the entire day in reality? Before the haters kick in kudos to those who master it, i am just in the not possible for me to get my skill together brigade!

See i really enjoy skill moves but i only use them out wide with my wingers where there's space like in real like . Not a fan of bashing them all game like its street fighter .
    But I do unsterstand why people use them a large majority of players like to sit back and play on the counter, meaning there's hardly any space around there box passing can be so inconsistent at times .

OP I think its still good to learn some skill moves the more tools you have the better IMO deffinetly will improve your game and make you more unpredictable .

Practice a few in the training arena then try them out in Squad battles my favourites are step overs and Fake rabona .
  • rezyy
    760 posts Semi-Pro
    Fifa is all about holding the ball up for that extra split second before making the pass to allow players to be in better positions when receiving the ball. Skill moves can help with this but there are many ways to achieve it, the be all and end all for me is pace on the wings, from your full backs to wingers, and never just bomb down the wings at a constant pace, you need to kill the runs, fake inside then go down the wing again, I do this about 3 or 4 times or until I can see the support from the middle finally getting in to the right position for a perfect pass, this also holds up the ball and give my team time to get forward to support
  • BARTM8N
    74 posts Park Captain
    edited October 2020
    Truth be told I bought the Ultimate Edition and deleted the game last night. I wanted to play a football simulation but this resembles something akin to Fifa Street, as it has done the last few years. The abundance of skill moves and the ultra tight dribbling mean there's no real need for you to play nice football, you can just trick yourself into a yard of space and boom. The AI isn't intelligent enough with positioning or movement for me to enjoy it. I was sitting steady in div 2 but it was already no fun. I shouldn't need to be at maximum attention to try and stop someone twisting and turning on the edge of my box like Messi, especially when they're 79 rated.

I am glad you mention this as i have the same thing, problem is it’s a double edged sword, i get really annoyed when a very low rated team smack me with the skills ,moves etc, but then it isn’t also right that i should smack them because i have a much higher rated team? Just leaves me angry that I am inferior despite grinding to get a good team.

The amount of times i get abusive messages from players with average to poor rated teams who beat my half decent or god squad (months into the game for that) is incredible, i just want to play and enjoy and if a crao rated team beats me it’s generally because i am crap and they are skill moved up to the eye balls, they see it as a badge hunt, where as i just accept it, wondering why they feel the need to gloat aggressively?

• Jrutts
    816 posts Professional
    I’m exactly the same too but hanging around div 2 this year after learning to jockey defend properly. Also your worst enemy can be sprinting I was running everywhere trying to play the ball around quickly but slowing right down being patient for the openings makes a massive difference
  • Knowlesdinho
    14802 posts World Class
    The best thing to do is plan to learn a type of dribble, skill move etc, one at a time, then combine them.

Do this in an online environment, you will likely lose a few game, but when you see it work, and you will, you'll learn the best scenarios to use them in. You'll also intuitively learn how to defend against them... Most of the time.

It then becomes muscle memory, and you'll end up just doing stuff without even thinking about it.
  • JWNYsg
    Thank you everyone for your kind replies

Just to clarify. I’m not upset or whatever. In fact, of course I am envious about players who can manage skill moves well

Just that I have always wanted to improve whilst enjoy the game. But sometimes it hurts losing when I don’t defend well against a well skilled dribbler.

And I’m just a one trick pony with not much flair. Who can’t return the compliment

• Greezyweezy101
    1930 posts Fans' Favourite
    Nothing wrong with being very good at the fundamentals.
    You will just need to be more creative with your passing and movement
  • JWNYsg
    Nothing wrong with being very good at the fundamentals.
    You will just need to be more creative with your passing and movement

it does provide a player with an edge i guess with these skill moves (not talking about abusers, just normal play)
  • Sean123_
    781 posts Semi-Pro
    I was a gold 3 player , I learned a lot of skill moves last year and learnt the right stick switching for dehenders and now get elite 3 majority of weekends. I’d try and learn some of them they helped me massively
  • JWNYsg
    Sean123_ wrote: »
    I was a gold 3 player , I learned a lot of skill moves last year and learnt the right stick switching for dehenders and now get elite 3 majority of weekends. I’d try and learn some of them they helped me massively

can you kindly share some extremely basic ones please? thank you (i am not a big youtube person thus prefer to just ask casually)
  • JWNYsg wrote: »

can you kindly share some extremely basic ones please? thank you (i am not a big youtube person thus prefer to just ask casually)

i know none also. i never play weekend league and hang aroung duv 10-7... kerp telling myself i need to learn new things.. but never do... i feel your pain mate
  • JWNYsg
    JWNYsg wrote: »

i know none also. i never play weekend league and hang aroung duv 10-7... kerp telling myself i need to learn new things.. but never do... i feel your pain mate

i do play in all those modes but i think it's very basic and makes me being stuck in lower divisions and low WL finishes

only on SB i can get Elite 1 grinding 30 games a week
  • Psykes9080
    55 posts Park Captain
    Just sit back and counter like every other boring c**t
  • JWNYsg
    Psykes9080 wrote: »
    Just sit back and counter like every other boring c**t

prefer to outscore bro, attack is my form of defence. Counter means i have to soak up some pressure and give up possession
  • balErik
    1304 posts Professional
    I am not good with skills either. And in this fifa it seem smore important than ever.

I think you can get up in higher divisions if you are good at passing and moving around, but some drag backs, ball rolls and fake shots certainly help. It is a bit ridicilous to gain several "meters" from doing a drag back.

I read someone compare this game to how you attack in handball. And I think he is right. Skill and pass around the box before you get an opening. In certain games it is so difficult to team press too, not sure if this is something to do with my connection or not, as in some games it works fine and the team follows my "press after possession loss" instructions, but in other games they just stand around and do nothing when I move around one by one player.

• JWNYsg
    balErik wrote: »
    I am not good with skills either. And in this fifa it seem smore important than ever.

I think you can get up in higher divisions if you are good at passing and moving around, but some drag backs, ball rolls and fake shots certainly help. It is a bit ridicilous to gain several "meters" from doing a drag back.

I read someone compare this game to how you attack in handball. And I think he is right. Skill and pass around the box before you get an opening. In certain games it is so difficult to team press too, not sure if this is something to do with my connection or not, as in some games it works fine and the team follows my "press after possession loss" instructions, but in other games they just stand around and do nothing when I move around one by one player.

thanks for the tips bro. Indeed, creating that space to score the goal is critical
  • last year i played about four weekend leagues got about five wins total. i cant play that mode.. so hard.. rivals now is bad as i love to attack.. i lose ball and his ten men behind ball fire one ball up and hes in scoring.... its awful..
  • Grezzerk
    1699 posts Play-Off Hero
    Personally I think If your able to play at a high level of fifa (division 1/2) without using skills then you are a very good player. Skills this year just seem like a cheap tactic in my opinion. A bad player can seem good by exploiting skill moves. At end of day that’s all it is, just exploiting broken mechanics for cheap wins.
    Don’t get me wrong though, It’s not all skill moves. just the stupid ones that for some reason give a speed boost....
  • win123vn
    575 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I am 45 years old and only manage to get g3 and div 3 in Fifa 21 with 2 mil squad, barely use any advanced skillmoves (only few dragbacks and ballrolls here & there), maibly using LS dribbing and play passing games. So for OP, I agree that master Ls dribbing would be enough.
  • Fifapayne
    4439 posts National Call-Up
    Don’t need skill moves to be good.
    Just get good at passing
  • crackers07
    1200 posts Professional
    Maybe its my age i look at all the skill moves press about 5 buttons and i am like dam aint got quick enough fingers for all that. I am comfy in div3 but feel i could do with learning a few. Saying that the skills are so unrealistic dont remember seeing a game ever with multiple rainbow flicks
  • Arsenalman
    2630 posts National Call-Up
    Can’t do any skills and I’m div 1-2 and finish atleast gold 1, I’m too lazy to learn skills but know I could increase my weekend league performance if I did. Loads of games I lose I dominate possession and have more attempts, which shows passing your way through a defence is less effective than doing skills
  • JWNYsg
    Fifapayne wrote: »
    Don’t need skill moves to be good.
    Just get good at passing

I’m sure it does help a little when playing with the big boys
  • ThePayback_00
    93 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I’ve got a really bad habit of almost always pressing the sprint button. Really doesn’t help with passing accuracy or more careful player movement- it comes from the ancient Fifa days when sprinting was king- a bit like what skill moves are now. It’s going to take a while to break the habit.
  • ChappellRovers
    3391 posts National Call-Up
    edited October 2020
    Im in the same boat havent played the new frostbite engine before. Div 5 and do not use any skill moves at all. I havent the same interest in learning them as you have - passing seems a better way to create space. Something i have learnt that I can share is do not play rivals hours before the rewards, do not play weekend league on the first day. Unfortunately those are not casual player times to play, I either lose massively or receive the most disgusting toxic behaviour such as sliding from behind everytime im through on goal. As for skill moves i dont really see the appeal, a nice timed slide tackle puts an end to that - at least in div 5 lol.