4231 (2) Help

Andytangerine
89 posts Has Potential To Be Special
Hey guys,

Everyone seems to be raving about this formation but I seem to be struggling with it (attacking wise) and wondered if I am doing something wrong.

Defensively it does seem good but I never seem to be able to create many chances and struggle even more to score goals. I was playing 41212 (wide) which was working fine for scoring/creating goals but not brilliant defensively.

This is my team... do i need to customise settings or is there something else I am missing.

I know it might just not be right for me but as it is just one aspect that I am struggling with I may just be missing something.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Andytangerine
    Sorry I did try to post a pic of my squad but it would not work. team is
    Begovic
    Baines - Zouma (IF) - Mbemba - Nyom
    Inler - Tiote
    Tadic - Coutinho - Lamela
    Kane
  • ahm1388
    1183 posts Professional
    Try using Remy upfront
  • Andytangerine
    I found Kane to be brilliant with 2 upfront, however I am struggling to even get the chances... why do you think remy would make the difference?
  • Vivvid
    568 posts Sunday League Hero
    I find this formation difficult for transitioning from non possession to possession. It's a counter attacking formation in my eyes
  • DeOuweDibbes
    560 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I found Kane to be brilliant with 2 upfront, however I am struggling to even get the chances... why do you think remy would make the difference?

Pace. B)
  • Andytangerine
    Thanks, not sure if this is for me then.... with the new passing system i like to be a bit more creative. any suggestions on what formations i should try or should i just go back to 41212?
  • PezMan123
    859 posts An Exciting Prospect
    its a good formation, you just have bad players. sell if zouma and coutinho and use the coins to strengthen the whole team.

you need better work rates and pace on the wide players
  • BlitzersNL
    24168 posts Club Captain
    Use a big guy upfront. I got 3 squads, one with Pelle, one with IF De Jong and a unused one with IF Slimani. The one with Pelle is my favourite. A nimble player at CAM is great. Insigne and Pelle are like clockwork together.
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    Thanks, not sure if this is for me then.... with the new passing system i like to be a bit more creative. any suggestions on what formations i should try or should i just go back to 41212?

41212 wide is one of the worst formations this year, don't use it.

I'd think of using a better RB and RCB and better CDMs (one strong and defensive, one more all-rounded, preferably high/high). Set your LM/RM to "get in behind"
  • Johnny Bravo
    1302 posts Professional
    Begovic
    Inler - Tiote
    Kane

I'd use someone a bit more target man up front like Rondon especially with such a weak player like Coutinho in behind.

Both your wide men have medium attacking work rates too and I'd suggest trying out players with high attacking work rates so they get forward to support more and give you more options when attacking. This will pull their defence wider too giving you more space in the middle.
  • Andytangerine
    Interesting suggestions.

I only have coutinho there as i did have Ozil but sold him yesterday to make profit and I will re buy once down. I am more than happy to sell Coutinho and invest.

Currently I have 100k and could sell coutinho giving me min 150k to spend.

Who shall i go for?
  • Andytangerine
    Rumplefish wrote: »

I'd think of using a better RB and RCB and better CDMs (one strong and defensive, one more all-rounded, preferably high/high). Set your LM/RM to "get in behind"

thank you.. how do you change the setting to "get in behind" as I can imagine that would make a huge difference
  • Andytangerine
    Begovic
    Inler - Tiote
    Kane

I'd use someone a bit more target man up front like Rondon especially with such a weak player like Coutinho in behind.

Both your wide men have medium attacking work rates too and I'd suggest trying out players with high attacking work rates so they get forward to support more and give you more options when attacking. This will pull their defence wider too giving you more space in the middle.

Again, thanks... as per my first comment i found it very defensive! that will help. any suggestions?
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class

thank you.. how do you change the setting to "get in behind" as I can imagine that would make a huge difference

In the squad menu you have squad options or something, I think you press triangle on PS4, and then choose player instructions.
  • Andytangerine

In the squad menu you have squad options or something, I think you press triangle on PS4, and then choose player instructions.

Perfect. I will give it a try... just need to find the players to put there. Lamela seemed ok and was tempted by his IF.. although by the comments above his work rate is wrong
  • Firstly, you have said this is a counter-attacking formation, yet your fastest player is at centre back?! If you plan to use this to counter then make your wide midfielders of a better speed with better work rates.

Instructions are very important with this formation. I have one defensive midfielder as a destroyer, one as a box to box. The wide men - I tell my faster one (Bolasie) to stay forward and get in behind - if I do need to counter he's always an option.

I do try and play a possession based game though, so on the other side, I have a ball playing, high dribbling player (Arda Turan) who I essentially ask to come short for the ball and interact more with the box to box midfielder (who is on his side) and they both interact with my CAM, James. Of course with these three interchanging positions over the right hand side of the pitch, I always can find my defensive midfielder if the attack needs resetting, plus Bolasie is always an option out wide. The full backs in this formation are always very useful for retaining possession and an out ball when I need to buy myself some time. Get a good, strong striker up front (pace isn't necessary here, but can help) and Bob's your uncle.

Most games I win 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1(as I give away a penalty almost every game) though, which isn't terribly exciting, but I find it an effective formation for getting results while scoring some nice passing goals (which is all I seem to care about in this Fifa for some reason)
  • Andytangerine
    lemoner wrote: »
    Firstly, you have said this is a counter-attacking formation, yet your fastest player is at centre back?! If you plan to use this to counter then make your wide midfielders of a better speed with better work rates.

Instructions are very important with this formation. I have one defensive midfielder as a destroyer, one as a box to box. The wide men - I tell my faster one (Bolasie) to stay forward and get in behind - if I do need to counter he's always an option.

I do try and play a possession based game though, so on the other side, I have a ball playing, high dribbling player (Arda Turan) who I essentially ask to come short for the ball and interact more with the box to box midfielder (who is on his side) and they both interact with my CAM, James. Of course with these three interchanging positions over the right hand side of the pitch, I always can find my defensive midfielder if the attack needs resetting, plus Bolasie is always an option out wide. The full backs in this formation are always very useful for retaining possession and an out ball when I need to buy myself some time. Get a good, strong striker up front (pace isn't necessary here, but can help) and Bob's your uncle.

Most games I win 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1(as I give away a penalty almost every game) though, which isn't terribly exciting, but I find it an effective formation for getting results while scoring some nice passing goals (which is all I seem to care about in this Fifa for some reason)

That really makes sense. You sound like u play how i normally play, but have struggled with this formation. I have traded a bit and have 150k to improve. again any prem recommendations from anyone would help.

From the comments i reckon priority is
    2 x CDMs (1 defensive and 1 box2box/passer)
    RM
    ST - strong with pace if possible.
    LM - I have bolasie on loan for 12 games so will try him first

looking forward to some suggestions
  • Johnny Bravo
    1302 posts Professional
    Begovic
    Inler - Tiote
    Kane

Again, thanks... as per my first comment i found it very defensive! that will help. any suggestions?

My comments were already to help with that. A strong target man can hold the ball up whilst your players with attacking work rates come up to join him. They'll stretch the play too which should hopefully result in more chances being created for you through this space.

I'd also suggest a stronger, taller CAM rather than Coutinho but that is just a matter of preference.
  • Andytangerine
    Begovic
    Inler - Tiote
    Kane

My comments were already to help with that. A strong target man can hold the ball up whilst your players with attacking work rates come up to join him. They'll stretch the play too which should hopefully result in more chances being created for you through this space.

I'd also suggest a stronger, taller CAM rather than Coutinho but that is just a matter of preference.

Yeah I understand that now! I have listed Coutinho and therefore also need a new CAM.

Any recommended players in those positions would help.

thinking maybe Shaquri or Walcott as RM
    fellaini/ramsey as box2box cdm
    defensive cdm = matic/ramires
    CAM - i have no idea
    ST - maybe ROndon or remy?

• BlitzersNL
    24168 posts Club Captain
    Give me a budget and I make you a sweet team
  • Andytangerine
    BlitzersNL wrote: »

OK i have
    Begovic
    Inler - Tiote
    Kane
    and bolasie

150k - 200k budget, PS4
  • Andytangerine

OK i have
    Begovic
    Inler - Tiote
    Kane
    and bolasie

150k - 200k budget, PS4

Coutinho should sell for 50k so that can potentially go to 250k
  • Andytangerine

Looks good, although i will probably keep baines as he scores nearly every free kick i take.

How much does that cost?
  • BlitzersNL
    24168 posts Club Captain

Looks good, although i will probably keep baines as he scores nearly every free kick i take.

How much does that cost?

No clue. Guess about 140k
  • paul24878306
    4717 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2015
    I was trying this formation - along with 4-1-4-1. Both are quite similar - 4-1-4-1 has more men in the middle of the park at the sacrifice of the slightly more forward CAM and the two deeper CDMs. I find it better for a smooth transition from defense to attack through the middle - where as 4231(2) is more about a fast counter attack from a strong defence to a strong attack - almost bypassing the middle of the park.

Ultimately though, Ive settled on 4-3-3(4). Why?

Well the RM and LM in either of the other functions seem to be left out of the game a lot. When they do come into play they start too far back, and dont support the striker too much.

4-3-3 still gives a solid middle of the park (either with a CDM or CAM depending if you prefer a more solid defense or a slightly better attack). If you choose wingers/RM/LM (can use either with no chem loss) with high work rate, and set them to track back in defense, but get behind and cut inside on attack - it seems to give the solidity of 5231/4141 BUT with more support for the striker when attacking. If your wide men dont have the work rate though, they suffer in the latter stages. No problem - just load a backup LW/LW in your subs bench and swop them at around 65 mins.

Actually, with the team/squad I have - I can move between all 3 formations in one match no problem - depending what I need.

This is my full squad. My first choice, and the top players for each position - and my bench is one CB, the 3 mids, 2 wide players and a striker. The others get to rest. If I need to rest some starting 11 from a fitness POV, the replacements just move from the bench - and the bench is filled from the rest (so Falcao moves out, Bony comes into starting 11 and Lukaku goes to the subs bench etc):

......................................................Falcao/Bony/Lukaku

................Young/Mirralas ......................................................Shaqiri/OIxlade Chamberlin

....................................................... Payet/Barkley

.......................... Inlar/Fellaini...........................................Willshire/Milner

Azpilaqueta/Moreno...........Cahill/Williams.........Jagielka/Shawcross...... Zabaleta/Ivanovic

....................................................... Begovic/Vorm

For 4-1-4-1, Inlar/Fallaini become the CDM rather than a CM as shown and Payet/Barclay drop from CAM to CM, the rest being obvious. For 4231, Its the same as above but Willshire and Milner become CDMs rather than CMs
  • Johnny Bravo
    1302 posts Professional
    Begovic
    Inler - Tiote
    Kane

Yeah I understand that now! I have listed Coutinho and therefore also need a new CAM.

Any recommended players in those positions would help.

thinking maybe Shaquri or Walcott as RM
    fellaini/ramsey as box2box cdm
    defensive cdm = matic/ramires
    CAM - i have no idea
    ST - maybe ROndon or remy?

Walcott is a very good RM choice, gets forward a lot, pace is good, can finish if you cut inside, crossing is good enough.

Rondon will always be my first choice lone striker in BPL but I haven't tried Diego Costa yet who I think will be excellent there if you have the budget. Ayew is a good LM and is left footed making crossing easier, Rodriguez has H/L work rate too which means he should be up in support a lot.

Payet worked well for me at CAM before, De Bruyne is an elite option but worth the coins if you can afford him. Sigurdsson is a great budget player for CAM as his height works well for him. Sissoko is also one to look at due to his strength, pace and shot power.
  • Marion024
    366 posts Sunday League Hero
    Hey guys,

Everyone seems to be raving about this formation but I seem to be struggling with it (attacking wise) and wondered if I am doing something wrong.

Defensively it does seem good but I never seem to be able to create many chances and struggle even more to score goals. I was playing 41212 (wide) which was working fine for scoring/creating goals but not brilliant defensively.

This is my team... do i need to customise settings or is there something else I am missing.

I know it might just not be right for me but as it is just one aspect that I am struggling with I may just be missing something.

Any advice appreciated

Just a few tips.

1. You have to play wide.

2. When you play wide you have to play 1-2s with your Fullbacks and CDM

3. Then you sprint down the wing and either sprint inside, get to the back line and dribble, or pass it in to a midfielder, Cam, or striker.

4. If you pass to a CDM look for a RB A pass to a CAM or Striker.
  • Johnny Bravo
    1302 posts Professional
    Marion024 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Any advice appreciated

Just a few tips.

1. You have to play wide.

2. When you play wide you have to play 1-2s with your Fullbacks and CDM

3. Then you sprint down the wing and either sprint inside, get to the back line and dribble, or pass it in to a midfielder, Cam, or striker.

4. If you pass to a CDM look for a RB A pass to a CAM or Striker.

You know what, I think you're spot on. That's my natural game anyway so I hadn't thought to point it out as I do it without thinking.
  • Andytangerine
    Well i have loaned Bolasie, cazorla and rondon to test. I have bought Ramsey to try as box2box therefore need on the hunt for defensive cdm and also need a RM

thinking shaq or walcott. at least i can try for a few games, and invest from that.

Looking at the comments it seems the right form to me as the play sounds like how i play... just need to find the right combo.

I will play a few games tonight and report back