The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on Console & PC and includes the changes listed here.

Best formation for passing and possession play?

13

Comments

  • FC Intl
    4394 posts National Call-Up
    Kayser00 wrote: »
    Possession and quick passing is different. I hate possession and am forced to do so with these ultra pressure teams. I'll hold possession and just pass till they break down (very boring). I usually play a tiki take style when people aren't sending 3 guys at me and I push the ball forward quick! For these reasons 41212-2 has been great because it gives me options. I can posses and slow build up or tiki taka

    Good to see some more love for my favored formation, I play similar. Its great for short passes, I like walking turning and making the short passes in tight spaces. Then if they are using high pressure there is 2 strikers to send through on goal.
  • FC Intl
    4394 posts National Call-Up
    SaifR wrote: »
    FC Intl wrote: »
    IMO "passing" and "possession" are quite different in terms of which formation.

    4141 and 4231(2) will give you 65%+ possession fairly easily if you want, but you will not have an easy time breaking teams down if they are a good defender, and your players will not be positioned to do short one-two passes often.

    41212(2) and 433(5) aren't as great for possession of the two above, but you can make some great short passes and play an excellent passing game if you are light on controls and good in tighter spaces. I use 41212(2) and play a short passing slow game, but having the CAM and two ST's gives you plenty of scoring chances on any opponent. But you will lose the ball more than 4141 and 4231(2).

    This is so true. People claim to be 'possession' players, but they're not, they use quick short passes. That's different. Possession based football is rotating the ball through the team trying to find a gap to exploit. Very different.

    quick short passes still give you 55-60% possession most of the time :/
    it's not like you have to counter attack all the time with the 41212(2) ^^

    This is true. I don't think he was suggesting otherwise though. I too get 60%+ with 41212(2)
    Great passing formation.
  • Strange Entity
    272 posts Sunday League Hero
    I really like the 4-4-2 this year.
    It's great for possession style of play imo.
  • A lot of notifications!
  • Homestar_Runner
    213 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    4141
  • FC Intl
    4394 posts National Call-Up
    yonatanh11 wrote: »
    A lot of notifications!

    You should have a good idea of what to use now. Do you really want to play "possession", or do you want short quick passes (with decent possession too)?

    Possession: 4231(2), 4141, 451(2) etc
    Short Passing, slow or fast: 41212(2), 433(5), 4321, 4312 etc.
  • yonatanh11
    71 posts
    edited April 2015
    FC Intl wrote: »
    yonatanh11 wrote: »
    A lot of notifications!

    You should have a good idea of what to use now. Do you really want to play "possession", or do you want short quick passes (with decent possession too)?

    Possession: 4231(2), 4141, 451(2) etc
    Short Passing, slow or fast: 41212(2), 433(5), 4321, 4312 etc.
    mate I cant play with 2 strikers, I have already bought diego costa sif and was planning a team with 1 striker so I have no really big choice..

  • FC Intl
    4394 posts National Call-Up
    played 41212(2) the whole year and had much success with it <3

    4312 was fine, 4231(2) is also alright, but nothing comes close to 41212(2) for me ^^
    it's just not easy to find good CMs... M/M doesn't fit at all

    Gündogan, Pogba, Vidal, Marchisio, Guarin, Hamsik, Rakitic, Iniesta, Fabregas were the only ones that worked for me

    Agreed on the CM's, such a lack of proper CM's for the role they play in 41212(2). I can only really have 2 squads because of it.
  • ScorcherPrime
    3709 posts National Call-Up
    4-3-3(3) or the false 9
  • FC Intl
    4394 posts National Call-Up
    yonatanh11 wrote: »
    FC Intl wrote: »
    yonatanh11 wrote: »
    A lot of notifications!

    You should have a good idea of what to use now. Do you really want to play "possession", or do you want short quick passes (with decent possession too)?

    Possession: 4231(2), 4141, 451(2) etc
    Short Passing, slow or fast: 41212(2), 433(5), 4321, 4312 etc.
    mate I cant play with 2 strikers, I have already bought diego costa sif and was planning a team with 1 striker so I have no really big choice..

    Then for possession I would try 4231(2) in that case if you don't want to sell/change players. Or if you want shorter passing go with 433(5), even thought Costa isn't the best for that positon.
  • FC Intl wrote: »
    yonatanh11 wrote: »
    FC Intl wrote: »
    yonatanh11 wrote: »
    A lot of notifications!

    You should have a good idea of what to use now. Do you really want to play "possession", or do you want short quick passes (with decent possession too)?

    Possession: 4231(2), 4141, 451(2) etc
    Short Passing, slow or fast: 41212(2), 433(5), 4321, 4312 etc.
    mate I cant play with 2 strikers, I have already bought diego costa sif and was planning a team with 1 striker so I have no really big choice..

    Then for possession I would try 4231(2) in that case if you don't want to sell/change players. Or if you want shorter passing go with 433(5), even thought Costa isn't the best for that positon.
    thx bro
Sign In or Register to comment.