Best formation for passing and possession play?

Comments

• FC Intl
    4394 posts National Call-Up
    yonatanh11 wrote: »
    FC Intl wrote: »
    i played 4-1-4-1 for a long time, amazing for possession and generally keeping the ball, however the striker gets isolated in the higher div's and can often struggle to make a number of goal scoring chances

Agreed
    Once and for all: which formation should I take for passing/tiki taka from these formation:
    4231 2
    451 2
    ?

Your answer is there if you will read what everyone says.

Again:

A lot of possession: 4141, 4231 (2)

Short, quick one-two passes: 41212(2), 433(5)

You should have tried one or two of them out by now for yourself to see. Until you do that
    you will not know, as everyone plays a little different and likes something different.
  • FC Intl wrote: »
    i played 4-1-4-1 for a long time, amazing for possession and generally keeping the ball, however the striker gets isolated in the higher div's and can often struggle to make a number of goal scoring chances

Agreed
    Once and for all: which formation should I take for passing/tiki taka from these formation:
    4231 2
    451 2
    ?

Again:

You should have tried one or two of them out by now for yourself to see. Until you do that
    you will not know, as everyone plays a little different and likes something different.
    I read, but I should play with one striker (its diego costa sif) no two.. If so I will take 433-5
  • FC Intl

Agreed
    4231 2
    451 2
    ?

Again:

I read, but I should play with one striker (its diego costa sif) no two.. If so I will take 433-5

Thats up to you, but in my opinion you should try both, you might be surprised with the 41212(2)

But yes 433(5) is nice as well.
  • FC Intl wrote: »

Agreed
    4231 2
    451 2
    ?

Again:

Thats up to you, but in my opinion you should try both, you might be surprised with the 41212(2)

do you think CF is good for costa?
    that was my last question, sorry for make you busy :/

• FC Intl

Agreed
    4231 2
    451 2
    ?

Again:

do you think CF is good for costa?
    that was my last question, sorry for make you busy :/

I think the CF should have good agility and most importantly passing, Costa doesn't have agility or passing. You want a more CAM type player, or a striker like Tevez, Suarez because they can pass well. The CF is more a creator than finisher. Your LW and RW are like the strikers, they will score most goals usually.
  • FC Intl
    Good luck mate, I'm going to play Fifa and then go to sleep, its late at night here.
  • Humma78
    2573 posts Fans' Favourite
    Try 4312 its been amazing for me.
  • FC Intl
    Humma78 wrote: »
    Try 4312 its been amazing for me.

Yep that one is good for short passing as well.
  • Wiwee
    976 posts Semi-Pro
    guys I noticed in 451 (2), what do you think about that? seems very nice IMO

Was just gonna commwnt this formatio, been playing this since start of 15 and works amazingly if you like passing.
  • angelfoxrage
    570 posts Sunday League Hero
    False 9
  • xciljw
    5084 posts Big Money Move
    I usually have 65%+ ball possession and 90%+ passing with the false 9.
  • FC Intl
    xciljw wrote: »

You have a great guide man :) I read it and put it to use.

I played false 9 for a long time and had great results, I like it. I switched to 41212(2) recently to have a change and I'm able to play a similar type of football with it.
  • AdamLallana
    905 posts An Exciting Prospect
    4231, in the right hands its the best formation in the game.
  • murazor
    7860 posts League Winner
    4321, 433(4), 41212 all work great for me. >55%posesion >85%accuracy
  • BenzP7
    8316 posts League Winner
    4312 and 4231(2)
  • xciljw
    5084 posts Big Money Move
    xciljw wrote: »

You have a great guide man :) I read it and put it to use.

I played false 9 for a long time and had great results, I like it. I switched to 41212(2) recently to have a change and I'm able to play a similar type of football with it.

Good to hear. There are not too many differences between false 9 and 41212(2). Just think of the CAM as the CF, the ST as the LW/RW options etc. Just a little more narrow, but still quite similar.
  • DarkInvader
    547 posts An Exciting Prospect
    played 41212(2) the whole year and had much success with it <3

4312 was fine, 4231(2) is also alright, but nothing comes close to 41212(2) for me ^^
    it's just not easy to find good CMs... M/M doesn't fit at all

Gündogan, Pogba, Vidal, Marchisio, Guarin, Hamsik, Rakitic, Iniesta, Fabregas were the only ones that worked for me
  • FC Intl
    edited April 2015

Yeah I think thats why I'm doing well with it, the midfield is similar and it just the final pass is more central instead of out wide. Its slightly more difficult to keep possession under pressure than 433(5) due to players a little closer up top, but otherwise its great.
  • SaifR
    12862 posts Has That Special Something
    IMO "passing" and "possession" are quite different in terms of which formation.

4141 and 4231(2) will give you 65%+ possession fairly easily if you want, but you will not have an easy time breaking teams down if they are a good defender, and your players will not be positioned to do short one-two passes often.

41212(2) and 433(5) aren't as great for possession of the two above, but you can make some great short passes and play an excellent passing game if you are light on controls and good in tighter spaces. I use 41212(2) and play a short passing slow game, but having the CAM and two ST's gives you plenty of scoring chances on any opponent. But you will lose the ball more than 4141 and 4231(2).

This is so true. People claim to be 'possession' players, but they're not, they use quick short passes. That's different. Possession based football is rotating the ball through the team trying to find a gap to exploit. Very different.
  • DarkInvader
    547 posts An Exciting Prospect
    SaifR wrote: »

4141 and 4231(2) will give you 65%+ possession fairly easily if you want, but you will not have an easy time breaking teams down if they are a good defender, and your players will not be positioned to do short one-two passes often.

41212(2) and 433(5) aren't as great for possession of the two above, but you can make some great short passes and play an excellent passing game if you are light on controls and good in tighter spaces. I use 41212(2) and play a short passing slow game, but having the CAM and two ST's gives you plenty of scoring chances on any opponent. But you will lose the ball more than 4141 and 4231(2).

This is so true. People claim to be 'possession' players, but they're not, they use quick short passes. That's different. Possession based football is rotating the ball through the team trying to find a gap to exploit. Very different.

quick short passes still give you 55-60% possession most of the time :/
    it's not like you have to counter attack all the time with the 41212(2) ^^
  • AdamLallana
    905 posts An Exciting Prospect

You're both spot on. I use a 4231(2) with the LM/RM pushed deeper and slightly narrower and i find that even though its still a heavy possession based formation you're able to incorporate some quick 1-2 passes at the same time to stop yourself being to predictable and give yourself more of a cutting edge.
  • Chow
    2525 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited April 2015
    Gonna steal your thread and shamelessly self advertise my possession guide. It's finally out! (check the Guides section of the forum). No real talk of formation in the guide, but other useful things (I hope). It's 6000+ words so I wouldn't expect you to read all of it in one sitting. :pensive:

My stance: I honestly don't think that there's one "best" formation for possession play - I think with the correct mindset and practice, you can make it work for any formation. That said, I probably wouldn't recommend narrow formations like 4-3-2-1, as having no width forces you to pass faster in the middle of the pitch, since you'll have less time on the ball.
  • FC Intl

Yeah I find that theres a lot of variation in suggestions because people are thinking possession and passing style as the same thing, but as you say they are not. A Possession style results in a lot of passes... a short passing game has a lot of passes but possession is secondary and you lose the ball more (saying that, if you're good in tight spaces you can have a lot of possession as well when using the compact short passing formations)
  • Domination
    1463 posts Professional
    i play 5212 & have alot of the ball without passing it around the back, & score alot of goals
  • Any variation of 433 or 442 will work well for nearly anyone. 433(4) is my favorite right now, as it makes for easy one two's and possession play in the midfield, while your wingers look for open space to break down the sideline, I find it to be a very balanced formation. 41212(2) or any 442 makes for quicker buildup play with less passing IMO. 433 will be sure to bag you more possession just outside of your opponents 18 box if your style of play is a probing one like mine.
  • FC Intl
    Domination wrote: »
    i play 5212 & have alot of the ball without passing it around the back, & score alot of goals

Funny
  • FC Intl
    Chow wrote: »
    Gonna steal your thread and shamelessly self advertise my possession guide. It's finally out! (check the Guides section of the forum). No real talk of formation in the guide, but other useful things (I hope). It's 6000+ words so I wouldn't expect you to read all of it in one sitting. :pensive:

My stance: I honestly don't think that there's one "best" formation for possession play - I think with the correct mindset and practice, you can make it work for any formation. That said, I probably wouldn't recommend narrow formations like 4-3-2-1, as having no width forces you to pass faster in the middle of the pitch, since you'll have less time on the ball.

True, its more mindset and style of play than formation. And also true that narrow formation give you less time on the ball, but I feel if you want that short one-two passing then they are great, as long as you can work in tight spaces. Wider formations are better for possession.

I'm working on a guide called "Passing With A Purpose" focused on 41212(2) and a slow (or fast), short one-two passing game with a punch. (not suggesting other passing is without purpose, just a good title)
  • Possession and quick passing is different. I hate possession and am forced to do so with these ultra pressure teams. I'll hold possession and just pass till they break down (very boring). I usually play a tiki take style when people aren't sending 3 guys at me and I push the ball forward quick! For these reasons 41212-2 has been great because it gives me options. I can posses and slow build up or tiki taka
  • Cook my sock
    75 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I quite like 433(4 + 433(5