Best formation for passing and possession play?

?
just formations with 4 defenders

Comments

• 4231(2).. 442.. 4141.. They (for me) are good
  • Jack Hells wrote: »
    4231(2).. 442.. 4141.. They (for me) are good
    I thought about 4141 and now I think I go for it.

more suggestions?

• Teh Zombz
    3914 posts National Call-Up
    False 9
  • FC Intl
    4394 posts National Call-Up
    IMO "passing" and "possession" are quite different in terms of which formation.

4141 and 4231(2) will give you 65%+ possession fairly easily if you want, but you will not have an easy time breaking teams down if they are a good defender, and your players will not be positioned to do short one-two passes often.

41212(2) and 433(5) aren't as great for possession of the two above, but you can make some great short passes and play an excellent passing game if you are light on controls and good in tighter spaces. I use 41212(2) and play a short passing slow game, but having the CAM and two ST's gives you plenty of scoring chances on any opponent. But you will lose the ball more than 4141 and 4231(2).

• Teh Zombz wrote: »
    False 9
    thx

more?
  • FC Intl wrote: »

4141 and 4231(2) will give you 65%+ possession fairly easily if you want, but you will not have an easy time breaking teams down if they are a good defender, and your players will not be positioned to do short one-two passes often.

41212(2) and 433(5) aren't as great for possession of the two above, but you can make some great short passes and play an excellent passing game if you are light on controls and good in tighter spaces. I use 41212(2) and play a short passing slow game, but having the CAM and two ST's gives you plenty of scoring chances on any opponent. But you will lose the ball more than 4141 and 4231(2).
    thx a lot!!
    I want to play short passing and fast like Tiki Taka haha :p so what do u think is preferred for me?

• yonatanh11 wrote: »
    FC Intl wrote: »

thx a lot!!
    I want to play short passing and fast like Tiki Taka haha :p so what do u think is preferred for me?

41212-2 does the trick for me.
  • FC Intl
    yonatanh11 wrote: »

thx a lot!!

I used to think 4231(2), but the players are too far apart in my opinion, so now I use 41212(2), the one with the CM's instead of LM/RM. 433(5) is similar and also good, but now I find I make more chances with 41212(2).

Beware though, because your players are closer together (which is good for short passing/tiki taka), sometimes it can be difficult if your opponent is using high pressure/agression tactic, as it can become crowded and you might lose the ball. But if you are patient and good at walking/turing/passing in tight spaces then 41212(2) can be amazing, same with 433(5).

I find I score more and defend better with 41212(2) than 433(5), but both are great, just slightly different.

Try both and see what you think.
  • yonatanh11
    71 posts
    edited April 2015

thx a lot!!

I used to think 4231(2), but the players are too far apart in my opinion, so now I use 41212(2), the one with the CM's instead of LM/RM. 433(5) is similar and also good, but now I find I make more chances with 41212(2).

Beware though, because your players are closer together (which is good for short passing/tiki taka), sometimes it can be difficult if your opponent is using high pressure/agression tactic, as it can become crowded and you might lose the ball. But if you are patient and good at walking/turing/passing in tight spaces then 41212(2) can be amazing, same with 433(5).

I find I score more and defend better with 41212(2) than 433(5), but both are great, just slightly different.

I usually used to play with one striker so I think it could be easily for me with one striker, but I dont understand what is the difference between 4-3-3 (4) and 4-3-3 (5)? it not seems that has a big difference and I hate 4-3-3 (4) because of the short passing/tiki taka (the players arent close to them) so I might hate also 4-3-3 (5)..
  • FC Intl
    Here are my two squads that I use and play a short passing one-two type style, with minimal or no long balls:

http://www.futhead.com/15/squads/28843286/

http://www.futhead.com/15/squads/27956708/
    Here are my two squads that I use and play a short passing one-two type style, with minimal or no long balls:

http://www.futhead.com/15/squads/28843286/

http://www.futhead.com/15/squads/27956708/
    thx, can you answer about what I wrote? ^^

• FC Intl

thx a lot!!

I usually used to play with one striker so I think it could be easily for me with one striker, but I dont understand what is the difference between 4-3-3 (4) and 4-3-3 (5)? it not seems that has a big difference and I hate 4-3-3 (4) because of the short passing/tiki taka (the players arent close to them) so I might hate also 4-3-3 (5)..

433(4) has a CAM and a Striker, 433(5) has a CF where the CAM normally is and has a CDM.

I used to only one-striker formations, but since I changed to 41212(2) its so much better IMO. Not because of two strikers, but its because the players are positioned closer together, it makes it easier to make nice quick passes.

Yes Barca plays 433, but in my opinion in FIFA the 433's are more for counter-attacking.

I like it better now I don't have to always go out wide and then try to cut back inside.. I can have my strikers are making the their CB's busy and I can play short passes with my midfielders and send a pass through to a striker.
  • aldovelco
    156 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    As some people have said:
    433 5
    41212 2

And believe it or not I've had success playing possession with 4321 in the higher divisions.
  • FC Intl
    aldovelco wrote: »
    433 5
    41212 2

And believe it or not I've had success playing possession with 4321 in the higher divisions.

I believe it, its compact and good for short passes. I just don't feel safe defensively with it, so thats why I like 41212(2). But some people, like you, can do great with 4321.
  • TKBC
    3035 posts National Call-Up
    For me it's 4-4-1-1. Your wide midfielders don't push too high. So they are always in a position to receive a pass to feet from any other player. The only issues I find with this is your ST gets isolated, and the wide mids don't run forward much unless you put on counter attack, but don't fret. Can still play a high rate of possession on counter attack setting. I regularly get 60% possession using the counter attack setting. What happens is the wide mids and one centre mid can overlap. Gives me a lot of different options. Try it. You'll love all the options it gives you.
  • aldovelco
    156 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited April 2015
    433 5
    41212 2

I believe it, its compact and good for short passes. I just don't feel safe defensively with it, so thats why I like 41212(2). But some people, like you, can do great with 4321.

People tend to believe that everyone using 4321 only spams LB+Ys which is not the case.
    The picture is from a game I played around Christmas in Div1. I have a slightly different team now.
    14ie8om.jpg

Also, if you don't feel confident while defending you can use instructions so your midfielders and/or fullbacks stay back while attacking.
    41212 2 is really good too. I have 2 teams using those two formations at the moment.
  • Arkadiusz Milik
    10840 posts Has That Special Something
    you should use 4-2-3-1 all the MID players re playing close to each other and thats what you need if you want to play a passing game
  • Thanks a lot guys!!!
  • rassejj
    37 posts Last Pick at the Park
    false 9 and 4231(1) best for me, dont cross at all and just play short passing game and like to keep posession to myself
  • guys I noticed in 451 (2), what do you think about that? seems very nice IMO
  • FC Intl
    433 5
    41212 2

People tend to believe that everyone using 4321 only spams LB+Ys which is not the case.
    The picture is from a game I played around Christmas in Div1. I have a slightly different team now.
    14ie8om.jpg

Also, if you don't feel confident while defending you can use instructions so your midfielders and/or fullbacks stay back while attacking.
    41212 2 is really good too. I have 2 teams using those two formations at the moment.

I definitely believe that some people play good football with 4321. Those passing stats are great, similar to what I get on 41212(2). Thats true, I could probably make it work with instructions. I feel its a slightly more attacking formation than I'm comfortable with. I remember it having good short passing though, like you've shown.
  • FC Intl
    guys I noticed in 451 (2), what do you think about that? seems very nice IMO

I didn't care for that formation. If you want something like that I'd say try 4141 instead, its better than 451(2) IMO.
    guys I noticed in 451 (2), what do you think about that? seems very nice IMO

I didn't care for that formation. If you want something like that I'd say try 4141 instead, its better than 451(2) IMO.
    yea but it seems that the RM/LM are more attacking in 451 2, is it just me? :O

• Kove
    4113 posts National Call-Up
    433(5), 451. Really anything that you can stack with midfielders
  • Dropkiik Murphy
    1086 posts Professional
    Being someone who has moved from formation to formation a lot. I have found that for complete possession domination the 4141 is up there.
    41212 variations also good if you want a 2 man striker option.
    I'm currently using 433-3 and 433-2 as defending isn't always one of my strong points but I always tend to average around the 60% possession mark simply by passing it around forwards and back if I need to and even switching wings.

If you are looking at the 41212-2 maybe look at the 4312 which i feel is more compact and allows you to make the more shorter quick passes
  • Being someone who has moved from formation to formation a lot. I have found that for complete possession domination the 4141 is up there.
    I'm currently using 433-3 and 433-2 as defending isn't always one of my strong points but I always tend to average around the 60% possession mark simply by passing it around forwards and back if I need to and even switching wings.

If you are looking at the 41212-2 maybe look at the 4312 which i feel is more compact and allows you to make the more shorter quick passes
    so counfusing.. everyone say other things xD
    I prefer formation with one striker, so you recommend about 4141?

• FC Intl
    Being someone who has moved from formation to formation a lot. I have found that for complete possession domination the 4141 is up there.

so counfusing.. everyone say other things xD
    I prefer formation with one striker, so you recommend about 4141?

I think the confusion is caused because people are confusing possession and passing, which are different things and different formations are good for one or the other.

Want short passing, one-two's? 41212(2) and 433(5) in my opinion.

Want to dominate possession (but not have quite the quick short passing of formations above)? then use 4141 and 4231(2)
  • Hurleybird10
    518 posts An Exciting Prospect
    i played 4-1-4-1 for a long time, amazing for possession and generally keeping the ball, however the striker gets isolated in the higher div's and can often struggle to make a number of goal scoring chances
  • FC Intl
    i played 4-1-4-1 for a long time, amazing for possession and generally keeping the ball, however the striker gets isolated in the higher div's and can often struggle to make a number of goal scoring chances

Agreed

Agreed
    Once and for all: which formation should I take for passing/tiki taka from these formation:
    4231 2
    451 2
    ?