The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

The Ultimate Targetman Guide

Comments

• BlitzersNL
    24951 posts Player of the Year
    Slimani IF incoming after his hattrick this weekend? Definitely one I will want to try and can't see it being too expensive.

Also if anyone is considering Dzyuba as a target man don't bother. He's useless, Morata is my current favourite card overall but not sure how he'd be as a conventional target man.

Try Pelle. He's quite fun to use. Always in the right spot somehow
  • BlitzersNL
    Looking to give tmr a overhaul. Pelle has been much better than Aduriz for me. Height and strenght are more important than jumping.
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    IF Agirretxe looks like a decent targetman.

UModt69.png
    • 6'2"
    • 89 Heading Accuracy
    • 77 Jumping
    • 86 Finishing
    • 91 Positioning
    • 87 Ball Control

Anyone tried this guy?
  • BlitzersNL
    Rumplefish wrote: »

UModt69.png
    • 6'2"
    • 89 Heading Accuracy
    • 77 Jumping
    • 86 Finishing
    • 91 Positioning
    • 87 Ball Control

Anyone tried this guy?

@Rumplefish had him. He's quite a versatile player. Not the fastest but he can dribble quite well. Plays like his stats suggest really
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    BlitzersNL wrote: »
    Rumplefish wrote: »

UModt69.png
    • 6'2"
    • 89 Heading Accuracy
    • 77 Jumping
    • 86 Finishing
    • 91 Positioning
    • 87 Ball Control

Anyone tried this guy?

@Rumplefish had him. He's quite a versatile player. Not the fastest but he can dribble quite well. Plays like his stats suggest really

Hmm...I'll give a try, I hope he'll play better than Paco Alcacer. That perfect link with Canales may come in handy.
  • Frankenberry
    10214 posts Has That Special Something
    Looking to give tmr a overhaul. Pelle has been much better than Aduriz for me. Height and strenght are more important than jumping.

Height is definitely by far the most important stat for winning headers. Honestly, I think a 6'5" ST with 20 Jumping will win more headers than a 6'0" ST with 99 Jumping.
  • Kove
    4119 posts National Call-Up

Height is definitely by far the most important stat for winning headers. Honestly, I think a 6'5" ST with 20 Jumping will win more headers than a 6'0" ST with 99 Jumping.

#DaretoCrouch?
  • BlitzersNL
    Kove wrote: »

#DaretoCrouch?

Might be a nice experiment to prove it though.
  • Kove
    Kove wrote: »

#DaretoCrouch?

Might be a nice experiment to prove it though.

Vs Beauvue or similar IMO
  • da-bever
    679 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Also if anyone is considering Dzyuba as a target man don't bother. He's useless, Morata is my current favourite card overall but not sure how he'd be as a conventional target man.

In my opinion Dzyuba is really useful. I use him in a 41212(2) with Danny besides him and Dzyuba holds up the play really well and finishes nearly everything. He is also good in the air but like most target man he got a turn speed of an oil tanker.
  • Shaanxz
    20934 posts Club Captain
    I struggle to score any headers this year, just wish Kevin Volland was a couple of inches taller, he would be insane as a target man
  • CFC-shazaam
    6327 posts Big Money Move
    We just need an Andy Carrol IF imo
  • BlitzersNL

@CFC-shazaam IF Slimani though
  • CFC-shazaam

None beats Carrol.
  • BlitzersNL

None beats Carrol.

Have you seen his stats?
  • CFC-shazaam
    Dare to slimani amirite @BlitzersNL
  • hasan09876
    15330 posts World Class
    Surely IF Ronaldo is the best target man in the game
  • CFC-shazaam
    hasan09876 wrote: »
    Surely IF Ronaldo is the best target man in the game

how dare you blaspheme Hasan.
  • Ridikuluz
    7696 posts League Winner
    I mainly use 433(5) so I'm good with playing with forwards with their back to goal to link midfield play, but how do you guys succeed with crossing? I'm going to try IF Slimani who looks incredible but my crossing game is so ineffectual this year. Almost all land at the keeper.
  • CFC-shazaam
    edited October 2015
    I keep getting glued to using 4-3-1-2 because it's so op but the consequence is that i can't really use a target man since I'm practically not crossing the ball at all.
  • ukler8
    4749 posts National Call-Up
    @BlitzersNL Best formation for team around Aduriz? Making a team rn...
  • TheSuperDerek
    2900 posts Fans' Favourite
    So somebody get Slimani and review pls
  • BlitzersNL
    ukler8 wrote: »

@Ukler8 433(4) with someone like Isco/James at CAM I think is the best
  • ukler8
    4749 posts National Call-Up
    ukler8 wrote: »

@Ukler8 433(4) with someone like Isco/James at CAM I think is the best

Alright thanks. Will try Isco for now.
  • nineteeeen
    4351 posts National Call-Up
    Slimani looks amazing!!
  • BlitzersNL
    edited October 2015

@TheSuperDerek Bought him, will probably have a review tomorrowevening
  • Kove
    I keep getting glued to using 4-3-1-2 because it's so op but the consequence is that i can't really use a target man since I'm practically not crossing the ball at all.
    100% this, I have tried every single striker formation and just can't make it work with a target man. I think the solution could be a 4321 but I an honestly running out of ideas.
  • TheRev
    293 posts Sunday League Hero

Just picked him up for 17K. Will give him a go and report back.
  • Dowls
    417 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited October 2015
    I've used target men in 433 + the variants. I found the cam on the best, however I don't like having wingers as I always find myself playing worse and just dribbling.

I tried Aduriz and Rodrigo up top, it works ok. You've got a huge guy to get on the end of GK's and the small pacey skill man to run off of him. Sometimes get crosses in with Benat and Gabi however Aduriz only tends to see the ball from GK's FK's or corners.

I'm trying out Morata instead of Aduriz because he's only '2 smaller, faster, better shooting and I believe better passing as well as 4* weak foot. On paper he should be able to do the same job Aduriz does but better.

All my teams right now are 4312.
  • TheRev
    293 posts Sunday League Hero
    So I've played a couple of matches with IF Slimani. For comparison's sake, I have also played a few matches with his NIF (which I had already purchased some time ago for discard). As promised, here's my review:

There's a big difference between his NIF and his IF in a couple of areas. The 92 positioning is huge--his H/H work rates meant that I found his NIF drifting and being pulled out of position more than I'd like, as he'd run like a muppet after the ball, but that wasn't at all a problem with his IF. The IF was often very well placed for either a pass into the box or to clean up a potential rebound if a keeper spilled a shot from one of my midfielders or wingers.

That was the most noticeable off-the-ball improvement, but on the ball, the IF does feel a bit smoother with all of the small upgrades he got to dribbling, balance, agility, etc., which by themselves are meaningless but on aggregate produced a player who felt better on the ball than his NIF, which honestly felt as sluggish and unwieldly as Llorente on benadryl. But the IF is a bit crisper and more precise, the exception being that his ball control was still iron-like and I found his IF still turning the ball over in close quarters if he didn't get a perfect first touch on the ball...this was especially problematic trying to use the driven pass at times.

He is predictably excellent at heading crosses, and his league affiliation helps in that regard as Gaitan and Jefferson are two of the best crossers in the game. The improved finishing is also noticeable, though really only inside the 18 yard box. He also drew quite a few fouls, more than any other striker I've used so far, including one for a penalty and another for a free kick that I converted with Jefferson.

When just about every other Primeira Liga team seems to field Aboubakar and/or Jonas up top, it's good to have another option, and I think I'll be holding on to IF Slimani instead of re-selling him, not just for my Primeira Liga team but for potential hybrids built around him and a green link like Brahimi or Carrillo, because with some of my old target men standbys like Llorente and Michu getting downgraded, I'm going to have to try out some new blood, and IF Slimani is now at the front of the pack.

Here's the team I used him in: http://www.futhead.com/16/squads/2439430/