Argument for Agüero to have 5* weak foot?

Orikoru
10712 posts Has That Special Something
I was just thinking about Agüero since we saw his card yesterday, and wondering whether he should have 5* weak foot? Just because I can recall him scoring plenty of great left foot finishes - he doesn't seem to be particularly weak on his left, to my mind.

So because my job is dull and my life is empty and devoid of meaning, I did some research. Comparing him to some other players over the last two seasons (league only):

6r6otu.png

As you can see, while he obviously favours his right, he frequently takes shots on his left, and the percentage chance of them going in is roughly the same. I picked De Bruyne, Neymar and Pedro as three high-profile stars with 5* weak foot by way of comparison. De Bruyne's 13/14 wasn't much to go on, but you can see last season he also had a similar success rate with either foot - so equally deserving of 5* as Agüero perhaps?

Neymar however rarely shoots with his left by comparison, and when he does it has a far lower chance of going in. So where is the logic that Neymar has a better weak foot than Agüero? Obviously we'll see later on if Neymar still has 5* on the new game, but surely he doesn't deserve it? Pedro is well known for being two-footed, but you can see here his success rate last season was much lower on his left - might be an anomaly, I don't know.

Used Messi as a 3* player and Robben as a 2* for comparison's sake. You can see that both of them actually had a much higher success rate with their weak foot - but I'm sure in Robben's case it because he only uses his right for tap-ins I should think. Messi is similar, perhaps only using his right from close in - but for both of them at least you can see that the frequency with which they use their weak foot is a lot lower.

TL;DR version - Agüero's weak foot as at least as good as KDB's and better than Neymar's, so either A) Agüero should be 5* or B) KDB should be 4* & Neymar 3*.

Comments

• MemphisDepay
    6020 posts Big Money Move
    You said it yourself once, those players DO NOT deserve 5* WF since they massivly favour their strong foot. Thats what you been telling all the time.

I dont agree with going by stats only, but not going by stats, Aguero's 4* is correct.
  • Simmo
    3465 posts National Call-Up
    He should be 4* but then again so should a lot of 5* weak foot players. 5* weak foot should be for players who are equally as comfortable on both sides, Cazorla for example.

He was 5* in FIFA 12, I still miss his TOTS from that UT.
  • Orikoru
    You said it yourself once, those players DO NOT deserve 5* WF since they massivly favour their strong foot. Thats what you been telling all the time.

I dont agree with going by stats only, but not going by stats, Aguero's 4* is correct.

The stat is weak foot accuracy though, not weak foot frequency. The two things aren't necessarily the same. You could in theory have a 5* WF player who also has the 'avoids weak foot' trait.
  • Keith
    2382 posts Moderator
    You're talking about goals and shots only. There is more to a player's weak foot than just the goals they score with said foot.
  • RadioShaq
    14889 posts Moderator
    Since weakfoot also determines the passing stats. Wouldn't you have to take into account how he passes too?
  • Orikoru
    Simmo wrote: »
    He should be 4* but then again so should a lot of 5* weak foot players. 5* weak foot should be for players who are equally as comfortable on both sides, Cazorla for example.

I think I'm inclined to agree with this. Cazorla should certainly be 5* WF, but as for the others there should be a lot less really. From my examples here I'd say Agüero 4*, KDB 4* & Neymar 3*.
  • MemphisDepay
    Orikoru wrote: »

The stat is weak foot accuracy though, not weak foot frequency. The two things aren't necessarily the same. You could in theory have a 5* WF player who also has the 'avoids weak foot' trait.
    He took 96 with his right and 40 with his left. Thats frecuency. Besides, what Keith says, its not all about stats. Aguero doesnt deserve 5*, Cazorla/Sneijder etc do.
  • Simmo
    3465 posts National Call-Up

I think I'm inclined to agree with this. Cazorla should certainly be 5* WF, but as for the others there should be a lot less really. From my examples here I'd say Agüero 4*, KDB 4* & Neymar 3*.
    I think 5* weak shoot should be one of the rarest stats/attributes on the game. Very few players deserve to have it.
  • slickus
    2763 posts Fans' Favourite
    Is the weak foot star rating purely for shooting tho?
    Does passing not come into it?
  • Orikoru
    Keith wrote: »
    You're talking about goals and shots only. There is more to a player's weak foot than just the goals they score with said foot.
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    Since weakfoot also determines the passing stats. Wouldn't you have to take into account how he passes too?

True, but WhoScored only has the right/left stats for shots. :grimace:

He took 96 with his right and 40 with his left. Thats frecuency. Besides, what Keith says, its not all about stats. Aguero doesnt deserve 5*, Cazorla/Sneijder etc do.

I think you misunderstand me - I mean the weak foot stat in Fifa is 'weak foot accuracy' not 'frequency'. So the more relevant stat from the real life stats is how accurate they are with each foot. However, if they almost never take weak foot shots (like Robben) that would imply that they don't trust their weak foot.

There are very few players who take equal shots with both feet though anyway! Even David Villa, who has had 5* WF for years, took slightly more with his right. in 13/14 with Atletico it was 38 right and 21 left (with 8 and 4 goals).
  • Vert
    15414 posts World Class
    his fifa 12 card <3
  • Orikoru

I think 5* weak shoot should be one of the rarest stats/attributes on the game. Very few players deserve to have it.

I agree. There are too many at the moment.
  • Orikoru
    slickus wrote: »

As I said just above you, WhoScored doesn't have right/left stats for passing unfortunately. Since I was talking about Agüero though I thought shooting would give us an idea.
  • MemphisDepay
    Honestly, if you saw Sneijder yesterday, you will see the real definitin of 5* WF. His passing with his WF was simply amazing. So imo, passing should be a bigger factor than shooting
  • I wouldn't mind it for the sake of the game.
  • ArchiWest
    411 posts Sunday League Hero
    I'm not sure if it plays a part in it but does dribbling have any impact on a players weakfoot at all?
    Because players like Messi will always shift the ball onto their strongest foot despite converting nearly half of his weak foot goals

• slickus
    2763 posts Fans' Favourite
    slickus wrote: »

As I said just above you, WhoScored doesn't have right/left stats for passing unfortunately. Since I was talking about Agüero though I thought shooting would give us an idea.

But if weak foot included passing and shooting mebbe he just falls short
    When i use two right footed cbs i always put higher weak foot on the left
  • Frankenberry
    10214 posts Has That Special Something
    Weak foot should be a combination of quantity (how often you use your weak foot) and quality (how effective your weak foot is compared to your dominant). If a player is equally effective with both feet, but uses one 10x more often than the other, he really shouldn't get 5* WF.

Obviously passing and dribbling are huge components (in addition to shots/goals), but shooting statistics are far easier to track. If a player strongly prefers one foot while shooting, we can project that assumption onto him also preferring one foot while passing and dribbling (though it may not always be fully accurate for some players).

There are very few truly two-footed players (i.e. players who use their left ~50% and their right ~50% of the time), so we have to make room for some of the "pretty close" guys to maybe have 5* WF too (like ~60% and ~40%). It's still a complete joke for Neymar to have 5* though.
  • pittphan
    3019 posts National Call-Up
    edited September 2015
    It is funny that the highest conversion rate for any player/foot combo above is Messi's right foot. Last year he did score more than a few nice goals with his right foot (and some tap ins) including the goal after he "Timber'd" Boateng.
    That is why Messi is being given an upgrade to 4*WF, as we will see later today, and there was a thread earlier this year were many (myself included) were calling for the upgrade.

As for Aguero, I agree with your premise... when he is taking a strike at goal, I fancy him on either foot - more than Neymar. However, I believe EA determine WF ratings based more on passing than shooting. For example, when a player turns to switch the field (on ground or in air) if they can and do frequently use their weak foot (like Kroos, Cazorla, Sneijder, De Bruyne, Totti), EA gives that more weight than a striker who can finish with their weak foot. It does seems like it is a rating based more on the subjective impression their "player raters" get from watching the games than based on statistics like those provided in the OP. I do think there should be more credit given to players that can finish with both feet as that is very difficult to do and part of the reason players like Aguero/Suarez/Messi have such impressive goal tallies.
  • Jim
    1374 posts Professional
    I'm not sure that the frequency in which a player uses his weak foot tells the full story on how strong their weak foot may be. Many players who have an excellent weak foot will use both equally in training, but will favor their dominant foot in a match on purpose. That way they can use the weak foot as a change of pace and catch a defender leaning the wrong way. It's a good way to open up that little bit of space for a shot or pass.
  • holdenwait
    55286 posts National Treasure
    Messi has more goals in less shots.. Messi for 5 star !
  • Reece Tha BEAST
    17021 posts World Class
    Aguero was 5* wf in Fifa 11 and Fifa 12.

Really dumfounded when he lost it.
  • VanBasten12
    6784 posts Big Money Move
    Totally agree the aspect around way too many cards have 5* WF. And the comments around 'passing' are correct true - it's not just about the scoring. You'd need the likes of Opta stats to see what Aguero's passing is like too, to confirm if a 5* WF is justified. Wish EA when into this type of analysis to confirm certain stats.

Youtube is a pretty good resource when it comes to watching highlights of people. Watch the likes of Diego Forlan scoring goals - at times you have no idea whether he's actually right or left footed. :)
  • Dawud
    15680 posts World Class
    5* should be for Ambidextrous people only like Cazorla and Sneijder
  • Timoner12
    5622 posts Big Money Move
    Keith wrote: »

Exactly.
  • Kove
    4013 posts National Call-Up
    Does wf not affect passing as well? If so passing stats should come into it especially for KDB and other Cams