Need help defending

Lamelasaurus
840 posts An Exciting Prospect
edited August 2015
Ok so I've really been leaking goals in recent matches, no matter who I have in defence or who I face in attack I will concede 2 or more goals each game. So the game that has pushed me to writing this discussion was a match in Div. 3 where I lost 3-0. I came up against a 433 Prem team who had IF Walcott up-front and IF Terry at the back, his midfield consisted of Di Maria, Rooney and Fabregas. I thought this would allow me to get behind his midfield quite easily due to him having no defensive minded midfield players however his midfielders made 6/8 successful tackles, stayed in front of the back four and still manage to attack which is a little annoying seeing as none of them have over 65 defending. But what was most annoying is that every LB+Y he played my Boateng and Pique would be out of position despite their high defensive stats and if they weren't they'd be easily out muscled by Walcott, Hazard or Sanchez. However when I found even a little space for Aguero to run into his John Terry Would be in position, catch Aguero up and easily out muscle him, it prompted me to post a discussion because I'm not a bad FIFA player but the last 10 games or so I've conceded a ridiculous amount of goals and not just in season but in bronze tournaments slow Strikers I come up against will always out pace my defenders and easily get past them.

I just want to know if anyone has any tips to help me score more against defending styles of play and concede less, thank you.

Also If you're going to criticise me on being a 'bad' don't bother I'm just looking for advice not to start an argument ;)

"TL;DR?" Basically I Concede a **** ton of goals when I have good defenders, I need some help

Comments

• Yung
    11624 posts Has That Special Something
    When I play sweaty teams I control one cb and use the analog to move them back slowly whilst the opponent is about to run at him, then I press RB for double pressure and if the first bc can't tackle him then I use the second who is already in position. But that's just me.
  • Lamelasaurus
    YungShadow wrote: »
    When I play sweaty teams I control one cb and use the analog to move them back slowly whilst the opponent is about to run at him, then I press RB for double pressure and if the first bc can't tackle him then I use the second who is already in position. But that's just me.
    Not just pace teams I have the problem with though, starter bronze teams score tons against me as well, but I'll try that moving one CB slowly back, sounds like he'll be in position to stop any LB+Y's, thanks

• Jack744
    411 posts Sunday League Hero
    It sounds to me like this is all about work rates. You should look into this if it's not something you've considered before - it has a far higher impact than player instructions and completely changes the way your team plays.

His Rooney and Di Maria get back and also get forwards as they have High/High work rates, meaning they put a high amount of effort both into attacking and defending. Other examples are Ramires, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Vidal, Marchisio, Naingolan - you'll notice a difference if you use any of them.

Conversely, your Pique has High/Medium, meaning he's actually more focused on attacking than defending and as such will be caught out of position quite a lot. I think Boateng is Medium/Medium so will put in equal effort but may not break his neck to get back and defend.

Ideally you want CBs to have higher defensive work rate than attacking - again, his Terry has Medium/High work rates hence why he's usually in the right place when you need him.

Attackers should have higher attack than defence, midfielders should be a mix and defenders should be the opposite, unless you want your fullbacks to bomb on and support the attack of course.

As an example, in a 433 I try to go for:

High/Low - High/Low - High/Low
    High/High - High/Medium - High/High
    High/Medium - Medium/High - Medium/High - High/Medium

This means my wide central midfielders are everywhere, while the central one supports the attack. The attackers stay up the pitch and are good for counter attacks, while the central defence is solid and the fullbacks support the attack.

Hope that helps!
  • Lamelasaurus
    Yeah I may look into WR's a bit more when buying a team, but Pique seems to be in a better defensive position then Boateng, despite Boateng's better WR's and most Bronze defenders have M/M or M/H due to EA's lack of knowledge and they're out of position loads for me, I come up against NR bronze CB's who have 50 odd pace but I struggle to out-pace them with my TOTS Dennehy (94 pace) yet my CB's have over 70 pace each and they get out paced easily, I hate to admit defeat but really could be me playing badly, my record has plummeted from 37-2-0 to 78-4-19

41 wins to 19 losses since my first loss is a dreadful record especially when you consider I won the bronze tournament twice in a row

• Jack744
    Sometimes you just go through a bad patch mate, we've all been there. Whether it's EAids/lag/your team/your style is up for debate but I had a stage this year where, after going straight to Div 1 with consecutive promotions and then winning it a few times, I suddenly couldn't buy a win. I think I lost 15 in a row, and a lot of these I got totally destroyed too (I count myself as a good defender and base my game on this). But then things picked up again and I have no idea why!

Keep plugging away. Or just snap the disc in half and forget about it until 16 comes out!!
  • Lamelasaurus
    Jack744 wrote: »
    Sometimes you just go through a bad patch mate, we've all been there. Whether it's EAids/lag/your team/your style is up for debate but I had a stage this year where, after going straight to Div 1 with consecutive promotions and then winning it a few times, I suddenly couldn't buy a win. I think I lost 15 in a row, and a lot of these I got totally destroyed too (I count myself as a good defender and base my game on this). But then things picked up again and I have no idea why!

Keep plugging away. Or just snap the disc in half and forget about it until 16 comes out!!

Maybe, I did play 20+ games with my bronze team without a loss then I lost 3 in a row to starter bronze teams, rage sold it, lots of them were rare/extinct pretty gutted :(

Think I'll buy a cheap team, so I don't lose a load of coins if I rage sell them

• WFCBagnall
    72211 posts Moderator
    What is your team?
  • Jack744

Maybe, I did play 20+ games with my bronze team without a loss then I lost 3 in a row to starter bronze teams, rage sold it, lots of them were rare/extinct pretty gutted :(

Think I'll buy a cheap team, so I don't lose a load of coins if I rage sell them

Maybe your problem is you're trying to play the game and use interesting teams!

I got to Div 1 using an all-silver team but then hit that bad run and like you I sold up and decided to go gold instead. I was always playing gold teams though, never silvers. How did you manage to keep playing bronze teams? Was it Singles?

I miss my silver team actually, might have to make it again...
  • Lamelasaurus
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    What is your team?
    It was a pretty basic, passing style team, I switched between 433(2), 433(4) and 41212, It was

Aguero. Di Maria
    Ozil
    D.Silva. Muller
    Lahm
    Alba. Pique. Boateng. Piszcech*
    Casillas

Can't really afford IF's, TOTS versions of these players so they were all NIF, for such a nice passing stat team I couldn't manage above 80% Pass Accuracy, it makes me look like I'm a terrible FIFA Player, but I can assure you that's not the case

• Lamelasaurus

Maybe your problem is you're trying to play the game and use interesting teams!

I got to Div 1 using an all-silver team but then hit that bad run and like you I sold up and decided to go gold instead. I was always playing gold teams though, never silvers. How did you manage to keep playing bronze teams? Was it Singles?

I miss my silver team actually, might have to make it again...

Yeah I played Tourneys and Online Single matches with my bronzes, played 1 match in seasons by accident and won 4-3 that was my last win in Divisions