OK, now while I'm aware it's not everyone's cup of tea...
However I need to call out my findings on the level of BS in this mode.
I'm grinding games for the milestones. Have been for a few days now (I mainly wanna listen to podcasts while I do it, so no judgement please)
Things I've noticed in this mode that EA need to get a grip and actually rectify
- Not every tackle you make has to result in going out of play EA, nor does it need to land straight back to the AI
- injuries, I get at least 1 a game due to the AI just bulldozing my players with no freekick given
- why when I'm trying to steal the ball of the AI. Does my player have to literally walk full circle round the AI controlled player without making a challenge
- why does my preset formation get mucked up when changing IG? I have to pause to manually place players where they should be.
- what on earth have you done to corners!? Just over 3 bars still looks like 1 bar of power now, it's ridiculous, your barely beating the first man now when swinging it in. (yes I'm not a rat, and take it short every damn time)
- why are the AI amazing at shielding the ball. Yet my players just look like a bunch of wimps?
- power shots also seem nerfed in this mode, you can even be well clear of the last man before assuming its safe to try one, only for the defender to miraculously catch up and tackle you.
- why when tackling a player, does my player then somehow constantly fall over the player he's tackled? And subsequently lose the ball straight away
These are just some of the dumbest things I've noticed the past few nights, what gives EA? It's bad enough having to put up with the level of BS you allow in online, to have to put up with this garbage in offline mode ffs.
If you ever want to see everything that's wrong about the code of this game, Squad battles offers insight into pretty much most of it, if not all of it..
Don't waste your time.
The ones that really irritate me are the amazing blocking slides opp AI players do to intercept whereas the ball seems to go completely through my AI controlled players, or they stand there looking at it just roll past. The stark contrast between the way AI players behave is staggering.
Other one is playing bronze teams on legendary, low to zero chem who always manage to get at least one goal. And you can feel it coming...
Anyway on to BS. I agree with the OP on almost everything but my new one involves that objective to Score with a Japanese player while conceding no more than one goal. Playing on world class the AI would play like absolute demons until they scored two then drop a few levels so you could win easily, this happened more than a few times. Luckily it only needed 3 wins and the I knew I'd get it done.
Why not play it on semi pro or pro just the 3 matches ?
I knew I'd get it done before I finished scoring goals in 15 games with a French player so it wasn't a mega issue, just really noticeable when the level dropped.
When I do have to play it, I start the game and let it play until half time on semi pro whilst I do something else.
Start 2nd half, complete required objectives scoring 5/6 goals then do something else until FT.
Rinse and repeat.
I preffered it when they had the mini leagues for offline players with a pack or 2 at the end, fully repeatable.
Squad Battles is the real eye opener on EA's ability to develop a football game, this is the mode that proves that EA cannot make a balanced AI/game of football.
Instead of searching and finding the sweet spot of a football game, EA went the easy route and chose not to make defending AI smarter or attacking AI flowing and cohesive they decided that cheating and stat boosting was the best option...
Silvers and bronzes who can rocket a shot from any angle, 30 pace defenders who can out sprint you, ❤️❤️❤️❤️ who can out muscle you, refs that turn a blind eye to fouls against you.. sh!!!!t when they fancy it they pretty much ignore your controller input as well to defeat you.
Squad Battles is a joke of a mode, the gameplay is a joke but represents exactly what EA are.
They think the user base are mugs.
I only play SB if I have to, the fun has been stripped right out of this mode.
Ultimate AI will have you spinning on ice, doing the splits like Di Maria to puyol or dropping you like Messi to to Boateng.
Either way it's BS, salute to anyone who has the mental capacity to play the AI on Ultimate but it's just broken.
Bronze players dribbling like Messi & I can't even get Messi to dribble like Messi
there is no way a human player can dribble like that or react to tackling that fast.
I still beat the teams, but the AI is cheating because it is not reacting to what I do, it is reading my controller input , there should be a delay to mimic human players.
the other "problem" is high OVR teams in legendary mode parking the bus most of the time.
there is a saying in la liga: "hasta que marque el Real Madrid" (Until Real Madrid scores)
that's what I say when the AI ties the match at +4, but the extra time was +1.
it doesn't matter how much extra time there is the whistle will not blow until Real Madrid scores or the AI scores.
It's lazy coding of epic proportions. I do watch the odd replay and when you really slow it down it's clearly obvious that the AI defender is programmed to get the ball off you no matter what, It's actually comical some of the animations that occur.