Fix the youth player stats. (ie. 6'6 weighing 123 lbs, 5'5 having 50 balance)

NinthFall
2710 posts National Call-Up
edited January 5
Whenever I restart a CM and get the superstar youth player, most of them are super odd in many ways.

You'll either get a 6'6 at 123 lbs, which for a professional athlete is like impossible or you'll get some 5'5 dude whose balance is in the low 50s. Also since when did we ever have a 5'9 baller in the top 5 leagues that weighted only 99 lbs? (But still miraculously has 90 strength)

These stats make no sense and defy physics. Please fix them
Post edited by NinthFall on

Comments

  • Steffolovitch
    2392 posts Fans' Favourite
    NinthFall wrote: »
    Whenever I restart a CM and get the superstar youth player, most of them are super odd in many ways.

    You'll either get a 6'6 at 123 lbs, which for a professional athlete is like impossible or you'll get some 5'5 dude whose balance is in the low 50s. Also since when did we ever have a 5'9 baller in the top 5 leagues that weighted only 99 lbs? (But still miraculously has 90 strength)

    These stats make no sense and defy physics. Please fix them

    I suppose that's the beauty of the metric system. I have NO idea what 123 lbs is, so I haven't noticed these things before :lol: I'm beginning to learn that 5'5 is pretty short and 6'6 is a giant, but apart from that I'm just more familiar with meters, centimeters, kilograms etc.

    I agree with your point though. These things should be connected and make sense to each other. And if that's too hard, maybe we should just have more editing options, when it comes to our randomly generated youth players. It IS a single player mode anyway, so why not allowing us to edit the players' height, body built, name, hairstyle, skin colour, size and shape of his nose, winter gear, A-NY-THING we wanted? Stats, Rating and Potential could still be fixed, even if we could edit these other things. Sometimes you find THAT talent, and he has the same name as one of your other youth players. Or he looks like a 40 year old full-bearded, but is only 15. Editing the names and appearances of these youngsters should be possible.
  • NinthFall
    2710 posts National Call-Up
    NinthFall wrote: »
    Whenever I restart a CM and get the superstar youth player, most of them are super odd in many ways.

    You'll either get a 6'6 at 123 lbs, which for a professional athlete is like impossible or you'll get some 5'5 dude whose balance is in the low 50s. Also since when did we ever have a 5'9 baller in the top 5 leagues that weighted only 99 lbs? (But still miraculously has 90 strength)

    These stats make no sense and defy physics. Please fix them

    I suppose that's the beauty of the metric system. I have NO idea what 123 lbs is, so I haven't noticed these things before :lol: I'm beginning to learn that 5'5 is pretty short and 6'6 is a giant, but apart from that I'm just more familiar with meters, centimeters, kilograms etc.

    I agree with your point though. These things should be connected and make sense to each other. And if that's too hard, maybe we should just have more editing options, when it comes to our randomly generated youth players. It IS a single player mode anyway, so why not allowing us to edit the players' height, body built, name, hairstyle, skin colour, size and shape of his nose, winter gear, A-NY-THING we wanted? Stats, Rating and Potential could still be fixed, even if we could edit these other things. Sometimes you find THAT talent, and he has the same name as one of your other youth players. Or he looks like a 40 year old full-bearded, but is only 15. Editing the names and appearances of these youngsters should be possible.

    I was like that too, but when I decided to look them up I can't unsee them. For example 6'6 is 198,5 cm and 121 lbs is 54 kg 😅


  • Steffolovitch
    2392 posts Fans' Favourite
    NinthFall wrote: »
    I was like that too, but when I decided to look them up I can't unsee them. For example 6'6 is 198,5 cm and 121 lbs is 54 kg 😅

    Aargh, you're pulling me down with you mate. Now I can't unsee it either :lol:

  • Bierman
    13 posts Ball Boy
    I'd like to add that the developers should consider allowing more customization, especially in career mode. One of the great things about eFootball/PES is the level of customization that individuals could undertake. I feel with EA, everything is so rigid. For example - every time I go into a player academy, I get multiple players of the same name, next thing you know I have a team full of Ukranian youth players with the last name Kovalenko or Shevchuk. I'd love to be able to fully customize names, countries, appearances for created players that are auto-generated in CM.
  • Bierman
    13 posts Ball Boy
    To add above, I totally get not being able to edit qualities, details, or traits of individuals that are real life players, but I do feel that it would be nice to add a level of customization to players that aren't
  • Steffolovitch
    2392 posts Fans' Favourite
    Bierman wrote: »
    I'd like to add that the developers should consider allowing more customization, especially in career mode. One of the great things about eFootball/PES is the level of customization that individuals could undertake. I feel with EA, everything is so rigid. For example - every time I go into a player academy, I get multiple players of the same name, next thing you know I have a team full of Ukranian youth players with the last name Kovalenko or Shevchuk. I'd love to be able to fully customize names, countries, appearances for created players that are auto-generated in CM.

    I totally agree. Players sharing names is one thing, I also see 15 year olds with a full beard, hairstyles that look stupid in game, or faces that make him look like a 40 year old. It's a single player mode, so why not allow this form of customization? I don't get it.

    Another issue is the winter gear. Some talents have long sleeves or undershirts (which was new for FIFA22, as far as I recall), but otherwise you can't change these things... Or you can, but then, when the winter comes, they're short sleeved again. A minor issue to some, a bigger for others, but why not just allow this form of customization?
  • Bierman
    13 posts Ball Boy
    I am totally fine with recycling player names, but I've noticed that most countries only have like 2-5 names they cycle through, and next thing you know I've got a team of 11 Bak's and Wawrynczak's (Poland). It needs to be more robust. OR EA can just take away that burden and let users name their youth academy players? Just a thought.

    It's funny because I know exactly what you're talking about. I've had some 15 year olds with gray hair and I'm thinking, what the hell?

    The winter gear is a pain, yeah. I've always found this to be quite annoying. In PES/eFootball, there was an option to specify what gear was worn during what season. FIFA probably didn't care enough to include this - I have a feeling a majority of their focus is on the online components and Ultimate Team since that makes the $$.

    But yes, I cannot see how difficult it would be for the coding team to edit the line of code to say something like -
    <IF Player = created, allow edit of XYZ fields >.
  • Steffolovitch
    2392 posts Fans' Favourite
    Bierman wrote: »
    FIFA probably didn't care enough to include this - I have a feeling a majority of their focus is on the online components and Ultimate Team since that makes the $$.

    Yeah that's also my take. If EA cared for Career Mode and the community of players wanting a better Career Mode experience, they could easily improve it by adding this or some of the other good suggestions in various threads and wishlists here. I don't think any of the suggestions are far out or difficult to implement, if one set their mind to do it. They just don't really make it a priority, I'm afraid.

  • Cobblers
    567 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Bierman wrote: »
    To add above, I totally get not being able to edit qualities, details, or traits of individuals that are real life players, but I do feel that it would be nice to add a level of customization to players that aren't

    You can boost the attributes of existing players in the 'Edit Player' screens before you start a career (not during a started career). After that, all you can do is change things like what boots they wear.
  • Cobblers
    567 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Bierman wrote: »
    I am totally fine with recycling player names, but I've noticed that most countries only have like 2-5 names they cycle through, and next thing you know I've got a team of 11 Bak's and Wawrynczak's (Poland).

    This has been raised as a bug but, in typical EA fashion, they've done nothing about it.
  • Cobblers
    567 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited January 24

    Yeah that's also my take. If EA cared for Career Mode and the community of players wanting a better Career Mode experience, they could easily improve it by adding this or some of the other good suggestions in various threads and wishlists here. I don't think any of the suggestions are far out or difficult to implement, if one set their mind to do it. They just don't really make it a priority, I'm afraid.

    Completely agree. It's just not a priority. For instance, the restriction on 2 releases could either be removed with a bit of coding, or they could simply change the limit (a single small edit to the code or more likely a change to the value in an attribute field) from 2 to 99, but they won't do it. If they changed the value to 99, it would be like the more complicated removal of the code, because no gamer would ever hit that limit and therefore never even see that's how they made the change. Insane, really.
  • Steffolovitch
    2392 posts Fans' Favourite
    Cobblers wrote: »
    the restriction on 2 releases could either be removed with a bit of coding, or they could simply change the limit (a single small edit to the code or more likely a change to the value in an attribute field) from 2 to 99, but they won't do it. If they changed the value to 99, it would be like the more complicated removal of the code, because no gamer would ever hit that limit and therefore never even see that's how they made the change. Insane, really.

    There's definitely truth to this. But you could also choose to see it from another perspective. I seem to recall a time, where you'd get in trouble with the board, if you even released ONE player from his contract. To be fair, it IS also a poor business case to do this and PAY some compensational fee to the player, in stead of selling him during one of the transfer windows and RECEIVE a fee. So I think the idea that you can release 2 players without consequence is still an improvement or at least an increased form of freedom to how it was before.

    Personally I think it's okay with a limit. It's easy to find gems through your youth scouting, and if you just release them, they can be developed a season or two elsewhere, or perhaps they'll even remain in the free agents pool and grow there. And when the time is right, a season or three later, where they've delevoped well enough, you can go in and sign them back. It's a single player mode, and it's up to ourselves to define how we'll approach the game and which loopholes we want to exploit. But as one who'd also appreciate the game to provide some of the challenges, I think it's all right with a limit like the one mentioned. It's not a big deal for me anyway...
  • Bierman
    13 posts Ball Boy
    > @Cobblers said:
    > This has been raised as a bug but, in typical EA fashion, they've done nothing about it.

    How long ago was this reported?
  • Bierman
    13 posts Ball Boy
    I just went in to the EA forums and re-upped the bug post.
  • Cobblers
    567 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Bierman wrote: »
    > @Cobblers said:
    > This has been raised as a bug but, in typical EA fashion, they've done nothing about it.

    How long ago was this reported?

    As soon as the game came out.
  • Cobblers
    567 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Cobblers wrote: »
    the restriction on 2 releases could either be removed with a bit of coding, or they could simply change the limit (a single small edit to the code or more likely a change to the value in an attribute field) from 2 to 99, but they won't do it. If they changed the value to 99, it would be like the more complicated removal of the code, because no gamer would ever hit that limit and therefore never even see that's how they made the change. Insane, really.

    There's definitely truth to this. But you could also choose to see it from another perspective. I seem to recall a time, where you'd get in trouble with the board, if you even released ONE player from his contract. To be fair, it IS also a poor business case to do this and PAY some compensational fee to the player, in stead of selling him during one of the transfer windows and RECEIVE a fee. So I think the idea that you can release 2 players without consequence is still an improvement or at least an increased form of freedom to how it was before.

    Personally I think it's okay with a limit. It's easy to find gems through your youth scouting, and if you just release them, they can be developed a season or two elsewhere, or perhaps they'll even remain in the free agents pool and grow there. And when the time is right, a season or three later, where they've delevoped well enough, you can go in and sign them back. It's a single player mode, and it's up to ourselves to define how we'll approach the game and which loopholes we want to exploit. But as one who'd also appreciate the game to provide some of the challenges, I think it's all right with a limit like the one mentioned. It's not a big deal for me anyway...

    It's just that, in real life, players do get released, and there's no limit on how many. I have had problems in the past, where I lost good academy players because they want to get promoted to the first team, I have no space, and I've used up the two releases (sinlply couldn't get the players out via transfers, because no-one wanted them).
  • Steffolovitch
    2392 posts Fans' Favourite
    Cobblers wrote: »
    It's just that, in real life, players do get released, and there's no limit on how many. I have had problems in the past, where I lost good academy players because they want to get promoted to the first team, I have no space, and I've used up the two releases (sinlply couldn't get the players out via transfers, because no-one wanted them).

    But it's a rare thing, isn't it? Ronaldo was released recently, by mutual agreement, and there has to be some sort of mutual agreement, I think, for this to happen IRL. Just look at Phil Jones at Man United. He signed a lucrative and too long contract ages ago, and somehow he's still in the Man United squad. If it was that easy to part with a player, I'm sure United would have done this long time ago. It's not like he's on a youth players salary, you know.

    Personally I think this limit helps/forces Career Mode players to be a bit vary of signing players on too long contracts. And I think it's a concern that reflects a real life issue quite well, and for that reason I do think it has its place in the game. I also haven't had problems selling or loaning out players in FIFA23 (contrary to previous releases). Have you had these problems in FIFA23, or only in previous editions of the game?
  • Cobblers
    567 posts An Exciting Prospect

    But it's a rare thing, isn't it? Ronaldo was released recently, by mutual agreement, and there has to be some sort of mutual agreement, I think, for this to happen IRL. Just look at Phil Jones at Man United. He signed a lucrative and too long contract ages ago, and somehow he's still in the Man United squad. If it was that easy to part with a player, I'm sure United would have done this long time ago. It's not like he's on a youth players salary, you know.

    Personally I think this limit helps/forces Career Mode players to be a bit vary of signing players on too long contracts. And I think it's a concern that reflects a real life issue quite well, and for that reason I do think it has its place in the game. I also haven't had problems selling or loaning out players in FIFA23 (contrary to previous releases). Have you had these problems in FIFA23, or only in previous editions of the game?

    I've had it since they introduced the restriction, about 6 or 7 years ago.

    I'm not talking about releasing expensively-paid players. In my careers, I promote a lot of kids, some of whom (because of the problems with dynamic potential) stop developing (their potential gets trashed) and, because I often end up with a 'full squad' as a result of trying to develop them, I need sometimes to clear out a few to make way for others. That's when I hit problems, because a really good academy player insists on being promoted and I can't remove one of the failures to make way for him, so I lose the one I want to promote. That simply wouldn't happen in real life.

    Hasn't happened to me this year - yet - as I am restricting the number of kids' I develop a bit more (although my United squad is beginning to fill up!).

    In real life, you can see in the newspapers quite often a list of players released, etc., at the end of transfer windows, and quite often clubs like United and Chelsea release more than two (sometimes many more than two) probably for the same reason I want to - they simply haven't turned out as expected.

    You wouldn't be able to release lots of 'first team' expensively-paid players in this game either, because it would cost you too much and blow your transfer budget (especially at a lower-league club), and that's how it should be, i.e., there's a consequence of doing it that you have to balance out.

    Mind you, it coud be another interesting feature to add to the game - you negotiate with a player's agent (especially an older player) a 'mutually acceptable' release deal, so you can remove someone you no longer want and can't transfer out...and/or maybe you should also be able to label a player as being available for free, to try and attract another team to take them off your hands.
  • Steffolovitch
    2392 posts Fans' Favourite
    Cobblers wrote: »
    I'm not talking about releasing expensively-paid players. In my careers, I promote a lot of kids, some of whom (because of the problems with dynamic potential) stop developing (their potential gets trashed) and, because I often end up with a 'full squad' as a result of trying to develop them, I need sometimes to clear out a few to make way for others. That's when I hit problems, because a really good academy player insists on being promoted and I can't remove one of the failures to make way for him, so I lose the one I want to promote. That simply wouldn't happen in real life.

    Hasn't happened to me this year - yet - as I am restricting the number of kids' I develop a bit more (although my United squad is beginning to fill up!).

    In real life, you can see in the newspapers quite often a list of players released, etc., at the end of transfer windows, and quite often clubs like United and Chelsea release more than two (sometimes many more than two) probably for the same reason I want to - they simply haven't turned out as expected.

    You wouldn't be able to release lots of 'first team' expensively-paid players in this game either, because it would cost you too much and blow your transfer budget (especially at a lower-league club), and that's how it should be, i.e., there's a consequence of doing it that you have to balance out.

    Mind you, it coud be another interesting feature to add to the game - you negotiate with a player's agent (especially an older player) a 'mutually acceptable' release deal, so you can remove someone you no longer want and can't transfer out...and/or maybe you should also be able to label a player as being available for free, to try and attract another team to take them off your hands.

    I think you operate with far bigger squads than I do and promote more talents too. How many players can one have in a squad? 50? I've never been anywhere near that limit, but I also only promote 1-2 talents each season, I think. 3 maximum... And I embrace every time a 16 or 17 year old is lured away from my academy, cause then I can start scouting him and consider bringing him back later on. Mainly to avoid these bottleneck situations.

    I do get your point though. When there's no option to keep the youth players in the youth team anymore, and they'll disappear from the game, if you don't promote them to the first team, then you really don't have the option to do anything else than promoting them. And as long as that's the case, I admit that there should be an out too. But to address this, I would argue that the main issue would be to remove the part where a youngster disappears from the game, just because you don't promote him to the first team. Or you should have a youth side to manage aside from your first team, where youngsters could play, until they were good enough. And until then they would be unaffected by dynamic potential and stuff, destroying their development.

    Long talk, sorry about that :wink: I do get your reason for wanting to release players. To sum up, I might just see this as a fix to a larger issue, and I would rather argue for the main issue to be fixed, rather than setting the quick fix free of its restrictions.
Sign In or Register to comment.