The Chickens Come Home To Roost at Old Trafford - 2024-25

Cobblers
567 posts An Exciting Prospect
edited January 25
Okay. I'm going to give this a go. I should be getting '23 this weekend, so this at the moment is just the premise.

The story goes a bit like this.

In the current global economic chaos, the Glazers are struggling to meet the financial commitments on their heavily-leveraged assets, like Manchester United, their commercial property portfolio and their American Football team. Things have got to the stage where they have broken their borrowing covenants, the lenders want their money back, and the Glazers have to 'do something' to meet those demands.

That 'something' is to asset-strip Manchester United - the repository of their most liquid assets, in the form of players. At the same time, with their agents knowing the way the wind is blowing, they simply cannot attract an elite manager to the club at a time where the seemingly only way is down. What is the club going to do? Below is my first attempt at something a bit more graphical.

Watch this space.

kzuf14z0cakk.png

Post edited by Cobblers on

Comments

• Steffolovitch
    2392 posts Fans' Favourite
    Sounds good man! Can't wait to see how you'll approach this with my favourite club at the center of it. Sounds quite similar to my own approach in the FIFA22, with a number of star players leaving and then trying to pick up the pieces. Beware that you'll start with quite difficult board objectives, if you enter the game with the current squad and start to sell players INSIDE the game. But if you edit the squads in the customize menu and remove the players BEFORE you start the game up, the board objectives might be easier to meet, if you are in for a slow build.

Another thing; you might want to remove the spelling check in your post, creating red and blue lines under some words/names. But apart from that it looks really good.
  • Cobblers
    edited October 2022
    Sounds good man! Can't wait to see how you'll approach this with my favourite club at the center of it. Sounds quite similar to my own approach in the FIFA22, with a number of star players leaving and then trying to pick up the pieces. Beware that you'll start with quite difficult board objectives, if you enter the game with the current squad and start to sell players INSIDE the game. But if you edit the squads in the customize menu and remove the players BEFORE you start the game up, the board objectives might be easier to meet, if you are in for a slow build.

Another thing; you might want to remove the spelling check in your post, creating red and blue lines under some words/names. But apart from that it looks really good.

I'm certainly going to reverse out the signings from this last transfer market. I'll also consider removing some others, too, but selling the family silver is integral to the story.

I've been a Red since 1966, so I always do a United career at some point.

I forgot about the spell check. Oops.
    Post edited by Cobblers on
  • Cobblers
    cip1t141zlwg.png
  • StevieCoys
    175 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Looking forward to following this. I always like big club rebuilds and Manchester United is a perfect club for it. I like the graphics, easy to read and a nice, clean look.
  • Cobblers
    StevieCoys wrote: »
    Looking forward to following this. I always like big club rebuilds and Manchester United is a perfect club for it. I like the graphics, easy to read and a nice, clean look.

Thanks. I'm enjoying writing up the backstory, at the moment.
  • Cobblers
    bj8rwz5c9qv9.png
  • Cobblers
    f11dxq62bg72.png

• Steffolovitch
    Oooh that's some key departures already. Two young English forwards leaving, one even from United's own academy. Always a sad departure, when that is the case.... Both are rather inconsistent though, so if United are to move forward, this could prove to be a blessing in disguise, as they are now able to bring in replacements, who have a higher bottom level of performance.

At least United got paid, having otherwise had a pretty poor record of cashing in on their departures. Them moving to Newcastle also makes perfect sense with Howe trying to build something on the back of the Arab money that dropped in their hands. Well played this. Very interesting start!
  • Cobblers
    Oooh that's some key departures already. Two young English forwards leaving, one even from United's own academy. Always a sad departure, when that is the case.... Both are rather inconsistent though, so if United are to move forward, this could prove to be a blessing in disguise, as they are now able to bring in replacements, who have a higher bottom level of performance.

At least United got paid, having otherwise had a pretty poor record of cashing in on their departures. Them moving to Newcastle also makes perfect sense with Howe trying to build something on the back of the Arab money that dropped in their hands. Well played this. Very interesting start!

It's interesting, though, to sell to what will undoubtedly become key rivals, with Newcastle's petrol-fueled ambition almost certain to change the 'Big Six' to a Big Seven', making the Premier League the most competitive in Europe - 7 into 4 (for the Champions League) simply doesn't go. It's going to be interesting to see how they fare in the Newcastle team, in terms of goals, etc. I expect the 'AI' to put them in the starting 11. When I get to play them, I'm expecting to see them there.
  • Steffolovitch
    edited October 2022
    Cobblers wrote: »
    It's interesting, though, to sell to what will undoubtedly become key rivals, with Newcastle's petrol-fueled ambition almost certain to change the 'Big Six' to a Big Seven', making the Premier League the most competitive in Europe - 7 into 4 (for the Champions League) simply doesn't go. It's going to be interesting to see how they fare in the Newcastle team, in terms of goals, etc. I expect the 'AI' to put them in the starting 11. When I get to play them, I'm expecting to see them there.

I did something similar in FIFA22 actually. I kept Sancho though, who eventually became some club legend at United, as I went 8 or 9 seasons in (don't remember exactly) and won tons of trophies.

But I sent Rashford to Arsenal in the beginning of the save, and he actually had quite the career in North London! And it will be interesting to see if he does the same in your save, albeit in North England in stead.

When I stopped playing the save (due to FIFA23 coming out), he was only two Premier League goals shy of Thierry Henry's all time goals, possibly with more games played, but still... Watching him the other day vs Tottenham didn't exactly make one see him as a potential top 10 all time Premier League goal scorer... :neutral:
  • Cobblers

I did something similar in FIFA22 actually. I kept Sancho though, who eventually became some club legend at United, as I went 8 or 9 seasons in (don't remember exactly) and won tons of trophies.

But I sent Rashford to Arsenal in the beginning of the save, and he actually had quite the career in North London! And it will be interesting to see if he does the same in your save, albeit in North England in stead.

When I stopped playing the save (due to FIFA23 coming out), he was only two Premier League goals shy of Thierry Henry's all time goals, possibly with more games played, but still... Watching him the other day vs Tottenham didn't exactly make one see him as a potential top 10 all time Premier League goal scorer... :neutral:

Yes, I'm really intrigued to find out how they fare.
  • Cobblers
    qqt5vgiqj5tw.png

um7xvtewaftk.png
  • Steffolovitch
    Questions about the club's viability, eh? This is serious business, no wonder fans and Fletcher are voicing their concern. Still bringing in a lot of money though. Looking forward to more revelations.
  • Thurlow9984
    494 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Complete reshuffle going in, can't wait to see how this progresses
  • Cobblers
    Some more developments.

o9nl02k3f54i.png

vvxxl0haeeq1.png

• Cobblers
    7p33dq8lk8m6.png
  • Cobblers
    Here are the summary outward transfers so far:

4iybznibjc6j.png
  • Cobblers
    1wiwq004jeq6.png

• Cobblers
    Following the above reports, the new manager set to work, establishing a new scouting team, dispatched to England, Spain, Germany and Argentina, charged with seeking out value-for-money young players. He also signed 3 youth academy scouts, assigning them to Argentina, England and Spain. One further coach was assigned as a 'free floater', tasked with scouting a number of free agents that the manager had identified as possible prospects. In a short period, which might be considered by some to be rather panic-stricken, a number of 'no-name' signings were made:

d6zhscduycb2.png

and, rooted in his past as the academy coach at United, he promoted a number of youngsters to the first team squad:

8uugk08zziyp.png

How all this gets integrated before the season starts, is an interesting question...

Around £500 million was raised from the sale of the established stars, and the transfer window is not yet closed. Only £100 million of that has been spent on replacements, leaving a question as to where the other £400 million (almost $500 million, in July 2022) is...
  • Steffolovitch
    Certainly a few interesting signings there. Pedro Goncalves was the one who picked up from Bruno Fernandes, when he left for United. So it makes perfect sense that he does the same again, now that the former has left for Real Madrid. He might even be an upgrade...

A few others with great potential, especially Cherki, Moukoko and Golden Boy Gavi. With such young players and a very young and inexperienced manager, it's certainly a risky approach from the club. But if the club "survive" what could be a difficult start, then you've definitely brought in some potential to - potentially - serve the club for years.
  • Cobblers
    Certainly a few interesting signings there. Pedro Goncalves was the one who picked up from Bruno Fernandes, when he left for United. So it makes perfect sense that he does the same again, now that the former has left for Real Madrid. He might even be an upgrade...

A few others with great potential, especially Cherki, Moukoko and Golden Boy Gavi. With such young players and a very young and inexperienced manager, it's certainly a risky approach from the club. But if the club "survive" what could be a difficult start, then you've definitely brought in some potential to - potentially - serve the club for years.

That's certainly the hope. I had Pedro Goncalves in my Real Betis career in '22 and I really loved him. Farias and Moukoko, too. They both really developed into great goalscorers. Interestingly, the game didn't think Gavi was "well purchased" (I thought it was a brilliant deal), and is just a "squad player", despite his potential. I suppose that's down to his age. I wanted Pedri too, but his price has rocketed in '23 and it didn't fit this story - we simply can't afford that kind of money, what with the Glazers so strapped for cash (!). I do need to fill out midfield a bit more, and I'm waiting to see what the scouts come back with before August 31st. I'm hoping for some more cheap but potential-rich referrals. A couple of clubs have tried to buy Varane and I'm trying to decide whether to let him go. Nobody has bid for Maguire yet, though (neither are flagged as 'for sale', but they are not 'blocked' either).

I'm also dying to see what the academy scouts suggest. I wiped out all but one of the academy players defaulted into the game. They had barely any potential - not what an elite club like United would countenance. I don't understand why the game coders don't realise that and make adjustments.

I'm getting used to the gameplay (I play on World Class), and the Lazio ("Latium") game was an eye-opener, but then I didn't have most of the incomings at that point and deliberately left out the youngsters (all of whom I created before starting the career; something I did for the first time in '22). Interestingly, the game only gives them a 1-year contract initially, so I had to negotiate new ones for them all straight away, and they're now on 5-year deals.

Most of the outgoings were also done before I started the career, and I made up the transfer fees to fit the story. The happy thing about that is that, because United's squad was consequently so depleted at the time of starting the career, the league objective is only to get into the Europa places this season, and into the Champions League places next. None of this "win everything, because you're Man Utd" rubbish. I just have to win the FA Cup and the Europa League (which kind of makes a nonsense of the league objective if I do achieve that, but I suppose that's about placing, not what competition you qualify for next season). It's certainly something I'll remember when I do subsequent careers. I made a note of who went where so I can undo them later, before starting any new career.
  • Steffolovitch
    I'm glad you chose to do the outgoings beforehand, as this makes your current objectives seem more reasonable than the ones you would surely have got with a full default squad. Winning the FA Cup could be tough though, at least with the reports of manager ratings dropping excessively, if the cup thing is not achieved (experienced this myself). You should probably consider making an extra effort to achieve this one, at least in game, even if you crash out of it in the story. I hope it makes sense.
  • StevieCoys
    175 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    A lot of moves made but I like the idea of a young manager having a young squad to develop and grow. It might take a few more windows to really build the team but a strong foundation is slowly coming together.

Gavi could be a real star, exactly what you need with Bruno leaving the midfield.
  • Danimal5981
    3440 posts National Call-Up
    I Like the Moukoko transfer. I could actually see that happen in real time, soon. And he's very suitable for that quick paced play in the EPL.
  • Cobblers
    I Like the Moukoko transfer. I could actually see that happen in real time, soon. And he's very suitable for that quick paced play in the EPL.

He took a couple of seasons with Betis before he came into his own, when I played a career in Spain using Fifa 22, so I'm expecting steady progress.
  • Cobblers

It's quite interesting. Gavi plays like a skillful seasoned pro already, in the games I've played him. Should prove exciting.
  • Steffolovitch
    He took a couple of seasons with Betis before he came into his own, when I played a career in Spain using Fifa 22, so I'm expecting steady progress.

And he's been signed by Brentford in my save. I would have liked him to have stayed and built a career in Dortmund in stead though, especially since I'm playing in Germany.
  • Cobblers
    igvcqm439zsz.png

4l0iw1tab15q.png
  • Cobblers
    u78ezwxi25ue.png
    cyva82iymow0.png
  • Cobblers
    xmt5atdfeaza.png