www.youtube.com/user/AWorldOfPaperr
www.youtube.com/user/ThePaperAirplaneGuy

Websites:

http://www.paperairplanes.co.uk/
http://www.foldnfly.com/

Quotes:

Farlz: Paper airplanes can bring warmth and joy to even the coldest heart

Paper Airplane Fun Facts scrapbook

The record wingspan of a paper airplane is 40 feet and 10 inches. The craft flew over 114 feet before crashing into a wall.

The humidity outside can affect the performance of a paper airplane thrown inside.

The longest recorded distance flown by a paper airplane thrown from the ground indoors is 193 fest (more than twice the length of a basketball court). It was thrown by Tony filch in la crease, Wisconsin, on may 21, 1965.

GIFs:

Paper_plane_3.gif

Exotic Paper Airplanes images:

advanced-paper-airplanes.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

Hall of Plane

Post edited by Sloosh on

Comments

• Farlz
    7745 posts League Winner
    wow luv
  • Drewinho
    534 posts Sunday League Hero
    What's the best design for getting my plane to loop the loop? thanks.
  • Farlz
    7745 posts League Winner
    once made a paper airplane that flew 2 miles
  • Sloosh
    6751 posts Big Money Move
    Drewinho wrote: »

http://m.wikihow.com/Make-a-Loop-De-Loop-Paper-Airplane
  • Drewinho
    Farlz wrote: »

Height you threw from and wind direction? Been struggling to break 300 yards myself.

• Drewinho
    Sloosh wrote: »

thank you, how do I rate reply 5.
  • murphy
    945 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I make paper airplanes like Minkus.
  • Sloosh

thank you, how do I rate reply 5.

I don't understand

• Farlz
    7745 posts League Winner

Height you threw from and wind direction? Been struggling to break 300 yards myself.
    For maximum height and for a good transition to gliding flight, the throw must be within 10 degrees of vertical. Also for maximum height, the throw must be as fast as possible.
  • Tamerlane
    5281 posts Big Money Move
    What is the one that just looks like a ring but flies like a bird?
  • Farlz
    7745 posts League Winner
    giphy.gif

One of my faves for sure
  • Drewinho

For maximum height and for a good transition to gliding flight, the throw must be within 10 degrees of vertical. Also for maximum height, the throw must be as fast as possible.
    hmm, straight arm or bent. also very nice ava, i love benteke
  • Sloosh
    Tamerlane wrote: »
    What is the one that just looks like a ring but flies like a bird?

http://www.10paperairplanes.com/how-to-make-paper-airplanes/07-the-ring.html

?
  • Farlz
    7745 posts League Winner

hmm, straight arm or bent. also very nice ava, i love benteke
    Bent to let the wind truly glide with the plane

thanks pal me too

• Farlz
    7745 posts League Winner
    tumblr_mie61qvN1I1rk0k2jo1_r1_500.gif

love it
  • Drewinho
    Forgot to say I'm relatively new to the art of paper planes.

This is the moment where I realised paper airplanes are for me, the way it could get fans of such a dross national team to be happy, even if it was for only a moment, made me realise how many hearts I could touch with my planes.
  • Farlz
    7745 posts League Winner
    Forgot to say I'm relatively new to the art of paper planes.
    This is the moment where I realised paper airplanes are for me, the way it could get fans of such a dross national team to be happy, even if it was for only a moment, made me realise how many hearts I could touch with my planes.
    I fully agree, paper airplanes can bring warmth and joy to even the coldest heart <3

• Sloosh

The record wingspan of a paper airplane is 40 feet and 10 inches. The craft flew over 114 feet before crashing into a wall.

The humidity outside can affect the performance of a paper airplane thrown inside.

The longest recorded distance flown by a paper airplane thrown from the ground indoors is 193 fest (more than twice the length of a basketball court). It was thrown by Tony filch in la crease, Wisconsin, on may 21, 1965.
  • Farlz
    7745 posts League Winner
    Paper_plane_3.gif
  • Kaede
    4907 posts National Call-Up
    Pal, can you link me all the different designs you guys like/use. I think it will be beneficial to users, such as myself, who are interested in paper planes. tytyty x
  • Drewinho

hmm, I'm wondering what the optimal humidity for plane throwing is.

• Farlz
    7745 posts League Winner

I threw mine for 2 miles, that is wrong my friend
  • Farlz
    7745 posts League Winner
    edited April 2015

Yes the weather can affect flight. In March of 1996 I participated in a BBC paper airplane contest in London, England. The building was huge, but was unheated, with cool rainy conditions outside. Paper airplanes hate humidity. I'm not sure if its due to the relative humidity, or absolute humidity, but generally if its rainy outside, the paper is going to have even worse than normal structural properties. Normally I rely on the resilience of the paper to hold the wings at the proper dihedral angle during gliding flight. Even on dry days, the paper eventually "fatigues" and is unable to support the root bending moment of the wing, resulting in "floppy" wings with increasing dihedral angles. On humid days I may get only two or three good world record throws from a plane. The problem is that it takes at least 2 or 3 flights to make the proper adjustments to the rudder and elevator for optimum flight times. Back to the contest, I was having a horrible time trying to get my planes adjusted before the wings fatigued. Going into the last round of the competition I was in third place (15 seconds, the best flight of the day being about 16 seconds). I was extremely lucky to get a 17.3 second flight on my last throw to win the contest. My plane design uses the maximum wing span for dry conditions, with many of the competing designs having shorter spans which were less affected by the conditions, allowing them valuable adjustment throws. The skill of the other contestants was outstanding. Some of the other participants have even subsequently submitted record flight claims to Guinness - so far they have not had their record flights authenticated, but it may only be a matter of time. But I'm not going down without a fight! I'm still working on my planes.
  • Drewinho
    Kaede wrote: »
    Pal, can you link me all the different designs you guys like/use. I think it will be beneficial to users, such as myself, who are interested in paper planes. tytyty x
    Are you new? When I was starting out I found it's best to perfect your traditional plane, get comfortable with the mechanics.

• Sloosh
    Will tidy up the OP with all the required resources, bear with me guys.
  • Farlz
    7745 posts League Winner
    paper-plane-gliding-o.gif

This right here is a fine example of a poor throw. Disappointing.
  • Drewinho

Yes the weather can affect flight. In March of 1996 I participated in a BBC paper airplane contest in London, England. The building was huge, but was unheated, with cool rainy conditions outside. Paper airplanes hate humidity. I'm not sure if its due to the relative humidity, or absolute humidity, but generally if its rainy outside, the paper is going to have even worse than normal structural properties. Normally I rely on the resilience of the paper to hold the wings at the proper dihedral angle during gliding flight. Even on dry days, the paper eventually "fatigues" and is unable to support the root bending moment of the wing, resulting in "floppy" wings with increasing dihedral angles. On humid days I may get only two or three good world record throws from a plane. The problem is that it takes at least 2 or 3 flights to make the proper adjustments to the rudder and elevator for optimum flight times. Back to the contest, I was having a horrible time trying to get my planes adjusted before the wings fatigued. Going into the last round of the competition I was in third place (15 seconds, the best flight of the day being about 16 seconds). I was extremely lucky to get a 17.3 second flight on my last throw to win the contest. My plane design uses the maximum wing span for dry conditions, with many of the competing designs having shorter spans which were less affected by the conditions, allowing them valuable adjustment throws. The skill of the other contestants was outstanding. Some of the other participants have even subsequently submitted record flight claims to Guinness - so far they have not had their record flights authenticated, but it may only be a matter of time. But I'm not going down without a fight! I'm still working on my planes.

Wow didnt expect something so in depth, great stuff. Congrats on the win btw!

• Kaede
    Will tidy up the OP with all the required resources, bear with me guys.
    Cheers Sloosh.
  • Kaede
    Kaede wrote: »
    Are you new? When I was starting out I found it's best to perfect your traditional plane, get comfortable with the mechanics.
    Do you recommend any specific kind of folding paper or is regular printing paper good?
  • Farlz
    7745 posts League Winner

Wow didnt expect something so in depth, great stuff. Congrats on the win btw!
    Thanks buddy, it was a tough battle!