e13ayh40a1jh.png

spa5zx99o7qw.png

adctea2mq9lm.png

vmf2ac52dakr.png

hdyxkn99njfp.png

d2jyrl4b8110.png
  • Thurlow9984
    418 posts Sunday League Hero
    Now that's a name to remember, Van den Vaart. Irl and on Fifa, infact lining him up with Thomas Kahlenberg in Fifa way back when was my ultimate combination in Midfield. They were deadly
  • Steffolovitch
    2038 posts Fans' Favourite
    Now that's a name to remember, Van den Vaart. Irl and on Fifa, infact lining him up with Thomas Kahlenberg in Fifa way back when was my ultimate combination in Midfield. They were deadly

Speaking to the heart of a Brøndby fan; Thomas Kahlenberg is one of my favourites. Surprised to see an Englishman like yourself pull him out of the hat :lol:

Of course Van der Vaart was quite the player, sadly he ended his career rather poorly in two Danish clubs, FC Midtjylland and Esbjerg. The latter mostly due to his wife playing professional handball in the city. But the fuzz of a former world cup finalist and Real Madrid player joining the Danish league was quickly over, when everyone saw how limited he had become in his approach to the game.
  • Thurlow9984
    418 posts Sunday League Hero

Speaking to the heart of a Brøndby fan; Thomas Kahlenberg is one of my favourites. Surprised to see an Englishman like yourself pull him out of the hat :lol:

Of course Van der Vaart was quite the player, sadly he ended his career rather poorly in two Danish clubs, FC Midtjylland and Esbjerg. The latter mostly due to his wife playing professional handball in the city. But the fuzz of a former world cup finalist and Real Madrid player joining the Danish league was quickly over, when everyone saw how limited he had become in his approach to the game.

Was probably around 06-10 time, was one of my Fifa go to players along with Van der Vaart. Couldn't tell you where I signed him from. Not a name I remember hearing a lot outside my Fifa careers, but I used to pick many more random teams to move to back then so that's probably how I came across Kahlenberg
  • Steffolovitch
    Was probably around 06-10 time, was one of my Fifa go to players along with Van der Vaart. Couldn't tell you where I signed him from. Not a name I remember hearing a lot outside my Fifa careers, but I used to pick many more random teams to move to back then so that's probably how I came across Kahlenberg

That must have been from Auxerre in France, where he was quite profilic and also grew to be their captain at some point. Then he moved to Wolfsburg, but didn't have quite the same impact, as I recall. Later he returned to Brøndby, where it all began, but he was now a rather slow, but clever and calm central midfielder and no longer the adventurous winger he was, when he left. He played a half century of games for Denmark too, but rarely as a regular starter.

I remember signing him as well back then, in FIFA. With a custom face, if I remember correctly.
  • Chris
    5724 posts Big Money Move
    Looking forward to this, HSV have always had a good group of players back a few years ago, likes of Holtby, Adler, van der Vaart and Calhanhoglu
  • Wyojasond
    18936 posts World Class
    HSV are always one of those teams I get drawn to and I really have no reason too 😂🤷‍♂️ Can’t wait to see how the story plays out
  • Great start to this story. I've always had a soft spot for HSV, especially after doing a CM save with them. They develop good youth players and I feel like they have a potential that's just begging to be tapped into.

Also, bless you for using DIN font.
  • Steffolovitch
    Chris wrote: »
    Looking forward to this, HSV have always had a good group of players back a few years ago, likes of Holtby, Adler, van der Vaart and Calhanhoglu

Thanks, and I agree, they've had quite a few good players in their ranks, also Kompany, Van Nistelrooy and Heung-Min Son.

Calhanoglu and Son were actually my favourite HSV players back then, and I also recall wanting Man United to sign them at the time. They both joined Leverkusen though.

The irony is that Calhanoglu was the one I was desperate for Man United to sign. I held him in such high regard after watching him a number of times, scoring from the midfield line and so on. Meanwhile I thought Son was going to be decent, perhaps like Park Ji Sung, a good squad player for a top team. So I remember wanting United to sign them both, but with different roles cut out for them.

Today it seems my expectations for Calhanoglu's career were pretty spot on for the career of Son.
    And my expectations for Son's career were at the same time pretty spot on for the career of Calhanoglu.
  • Steffolovitch
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    HSV are always one of those teams I get drawn to and I really have no reason too 😂🤷‍♂️ Can’t wait to see how the story plays out

Thanks man, yeah I always get drawn to them too. I suppose it's something to do with history for my part. I seem to sympathize with almost every club that was successful in the 70's and 80's, except Liverpool of course :wink: And Bayern too, I suppose. But others; St.Etienne in France, HSV in Germany, Feyenoord, Ajax, AC Milan, Brugge, Anderlecht etc. Somehow they intrigue me more than clubs that have just recently found themselves a rich owner and made a rapid climb to the top. Most of these are also invested in youth, and that's also a big cause of attraction for me.

I can't wait either, to be honest. I haven't planned too much ahead, haven't even decided the approach regarding the manager. So this is just a bit of history and squad information, and hopefully I won't be tempted away by another idea in a weeks time :lol:
  • Steffolovitch
    Great start to this story. I've always had a soft spot for HSV, especially after doing a CM save with them. They develop good youth players and I feel like they have a potential that's just begging to be tapped into.

Also, bless you for using DIN font.

Agree, a sleeping giant, as I've also tried to describe in the opening posts. I recently saw an ALL TIME Bundesliga points table, and HSV were still 4th there, if I remember correctly, despite playing the last four seasons in the second tier.

DIN font? I'm not familiar. I chose a font named Bahnschrift, mainly because it sounded German :lol:
  • Steffolovitch
    8u7e7g4dv97r.png

7mxgfx6gpkzr.png
  • Ashy
    23192 posts Club Captain
    Good luck, Hamburg are one of the greats of the past, European Cup to their name, can you bring their former glory back? They have the strongest squad in the league so nothing but promotion will be expected. Also nice to see those stats and records for you to try break
  • Steffolovitch
    edited September 25
    Ashy wrote: »
    Good luck, Hamburg are one of the greats of the past, European Cup to their name, can you bring their former glory back? They have the strongest squad in the league so nothing but promotion will be expected. Also nice to see those stats and records for you to try break

Thanks, yeah it's going to be a story in the story, whether or not some of these records will be broken. Especially the all time 2.Bundesliga assists for Sonny Kittel will be a main target for the first season, since he will most likely only have that one season to do it. Cause HSV will either be promoted, and if not, then he will probably leave, when his contract runs out next summer.
    Post edited by Steffolovitch on
  • > @Steffolovitch said:
    > DIN font? I'm not familiar. I chose a font named Bahnschrift, mainly because it sounded German :lol:
    Oh, lol. It looks so similar to the native font in FIFA.
  • Steffolovitch
    s29cmhecvd7l.png

513vo9v7xc4f.png
  • Chris
    Would be good to have a core of good young players from the nations like Germany, Holland and Denmark, good place to build from.
  • Steffolovitch
    Would be good to have a core of good young players from the nations like Germany, Holland and Denmark, good place to build from.

Yes, I will absolute use this list of "preferred" or "most used" nationalities as an inspiration, when it comes to new signings. Perhaps finding a Croatian forward to emulate Ivica Olic or Mladen Petric... Or a Danish no nonsense midfielder, like Stig Tøfting and Thomas Gravesen. If someone like that still exists...
  • Royals222
    59 posts Park Captain
    Hamburger is an excellent club choice because they have a large scouting network that spans many countries and is made up of many smaller networks. I believe you will have a lot of success using the scouting network.
  • Steffolovitch
    Royals222 wrote: »
    Hamburger is an excellent club choice because they have a large scouting network that spans many countries and is made up of many smaller networks. I believe you will have a lot of success using the scouting network.

Thanks, I wasn't aware. I'll check what the scouts find and search myself for a few possible targets too. We'll see what happens.
  • Steffolovitch
    cmvmyyca1an8.png

um59ra8ouenr.png

fwib3qylvadk.png

pxyszq45augl.png
  • StevieCoys
    175 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    That is a lot of transfers for one window. Almost a whole new team brought in! I like the age of the squad, some experienced players spread out at every position with a lot of youth around them.

27 goals in 41 games for Glatzel is impressive. Hopefully he can carry on and be a key center to the attack this season.
  • Chris
    Squad seems more than good enough to get promoted, should be a good campaign
  • Steffolovitch
    StevieCoys wrote: »
    That is a lot of transfers for one window. Almost a whole new team brought in! I like the age of the squad, some experienced players spread out at every position with a lot of youth around them.

27 goals in 41 games for Glatzel is impressive. Hopefully he can carry on and be a key center to the attack this season.

Yes it looks rather massive with all those names coming an going. Loans are included though, both in and out, and promotions from the youth team are the same, so I suppose it looks worse than it is... But yeah, 8 players brought in and 6 having left permanently during the summer. Big changes.

Glatzel, yeah he's supposed to be in the run for the Golden Boot, that's for sure. Had HSV been able to keep Terodde a year ago, they might have been in the Bundesliga by now. But I suppose Glatzel is the second best option, and he's got a decent goalscoring record so far. Him scoring and Kittel assisting, that will probably be the main weapon of HSV this term. That's what I predict anyway.
  • Steffolovitch
    Squad seems more than good enough to get promoted, should be a good campaign

Yes, I've tried to identify the biggest rival for promotion, and it's pretty hard actually. Seems this squad is above and beyond everyone else, with Düsseldorf and Bielefeld perhaps being the closest. Darmstadt and Hannover perhaps? It's arguably far from last season's run with Werder Bremen and Schalke, and I can't deny that HSV are the favourites and have to get promoted from this.
  • Steffolovitch
    m4wht9b0k67a.png

yltvpbxkno7m.png
  • Royals222
    59 posts Park Captain
    The fact that the manager left so soon before the start of the season is definitely not a good sign. As a result, putting your attention on recruitment will be very important. It won't be an easy task because it will take the players some time to adjust to the team's new manager, and chemistry is essential.
  • Steffolovitch
    Royals222 wrote: »
    The fact that the manager left so soon before the start of the season is definitely not a good sign. As a result, putting your attention on recruitment will be very important. It won't be an easy task because it will take the players some time to adjust to the team's new manager, and chemistry is essential.

True. I guess it was the only way I could think of in regards to how to handle that they already had a popular and successful manager, who had already brought quite a few players in. So I didn't want to start with an open window, but also didn't want this manager as the avatar. I agree that recruitment is essential, but that will have to wait until January, I suppose.
  • Steffolovitch
    Somehow received my copy of the game one day early and got off to an epic start yesterday. Last minute defeats, sending offs, 5+ goals in most games and a pretty spectacular bicycle goal from Ludovit Reis. It was a tough start though, with only 4 points from the first 4 games.

Unfortunately I then realized that I had started the game with a squad update, where Reus, Tah and more had their real faces removed. And I just know that I would be very bothered by this, when I get promoted to the Bundesliga.

So now I have decided to start over and have got a more boring start to the season, though arguably with better results, starting with two wins in July, compared to two defeats in the other. I would have enjoyed keeping the other chaotic start though. I'll post an update, when I get around to it.