The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on Console & on PC and includes the changes listed here.

how to defend like the best Fifa players

RichieDaSavage
1747 posts Play-Off Hero
Set high pressure/aggression on 100
Set width to around 30/40
Select high pressure on the D pad once kick off and go ultra attacking
Also, play with a man midfield to take pressure of the defence or use a 5 at the back formation to for extra cover at the back.

If you use do exactly as told, your team will start to win balls automatically all over the pitch and hold down Press/2nd man press when to automatically win the ball as soon as your opponents come near you when around your box.

I don't play like that but I've figured out that's how these so called Fifa gods play and I did it myself for the last couple weeks and I've won 3 titles in a row now in D1 which has never happened to me. I've been a D1 player for a long time but I never use to win it 3 in a row times until I learnt how to abuse defending. :)

Comments

• RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    I will never understand how players like jukez call this game competitive when defending doesn't even require you to use the tackling buttons. :D

• Korthan
    2412 posts Fans' Favourite
    Also keep backing off and don't dive into tackles with your back line (how do they always manage to keep a perfect line at the back, never get countered yet still manage to dominate possession further up the pitch without being caught out on the break?)....in FUT 15 ground through balls and short LBYs are nerfed, strikers make their runs too early (offside, offside, offside) and take too long to shoot/control the ball anyway (in the unlikely event you do 'break through' their line of defence) and there's also the speedy CB recovery times (catch you up instantly before you can get a shot away or block the shot) and the sprinter keepers off their lines. Oh and it's harder to chip the keeper this year too.

Too much weighted in favour of defences this year? Never! :D
  • celinhohyoga
    191 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I will never understand how players like jukez call this game competitive when defending doesn't even require you to use the tackling buttons. :D

Become the best player then, if it's so easy.
  • MyAccount
    1383 posts Professional
    Don't think Fifa will ever be a competitive game tbh. The CPU basically plays half the game for you, it requires very little actual skill, and it's too random.
  • Korthan

I'd put more emphasis on tackling skill and less on fouling/barging/obstruction oops I mean 'jockeying'.

You know, like proper football.

• Abreu12
    259 posts Sunday League Hero
    MyAccount wrote: »
    Don't think Fifa will ever be a competitive game tbh. The CPU basically plays half the game for you, it requires very little actual skill, and it's too random.

• Fieldtrip
    260 posts Sunday League Hero
    to be great at fifa, first you must have a great connection!...
  • Korthan
    Fieldtrip wrote: »
    to be great at fifa, first you must have a great connection!...

• RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero

Become the best player then, if it's so easy.

I don't have to be the best player to know its easy to exploit the features in this game. :D I think I've always been a pretty good defending this year but ever since I was set on using high pressure, it has made defending less of a worry for me since I can just place players in the right position and they'll eat everything that comes their way without me doing much.
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    Korthan wrote: »
    Also keep backing off and don't dive into tackles with your back line (how do they always manage to keep a perfect line at the back, never get countered yet still manage to dominate possession further up the pitch without being caught out on the break?)....in FUT 15 ground through balls and short LBYs are nerfed, strikers make their runs too early (offside, offside, offside) and take too long to shoot/control the ball anyway (in the unlikely event you do 'break through' their line of defence) and there's also the speedy CB recovery times (catch you up instantly before you can get a shot away or block the shot) and the sprinter keepers off their lines. Oh and it's harder to chip the keeper this year too.

Lol pretty much and there's a lot more
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    MyAccount wrote: »
    True say, although the potential for the game to be competitive and realistic is there.
  • Korthan

Lol pretty much and there's a lot more

I even forgot to mention they totally nerfed the shooting this year although they did fix it to an extent with the patches. And keepers save more of the shots that usually were goals in previous years.

Yet it's still possible for rubbish or sweaty players to score cheap exploit abuse goals fairly easily, how does that work? :D

• RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero

I'd put more emphasis on tackling skill and less on fouling/barging/obstruction oops I mean 'jockeying'.

You know, like proper football.

Yeah I agree but Ea need to find a balance but there too lazy for that so they look for the quick fix.
  • Runefang
    6045 posts Big Money Move
    Also, play with a man midfield to take pressure of the defence or use a 5 at the back formation to for extra cover at the back.

If you use do exactly as told, your team will start to win balls automatically all over the pitch and hold down Press/2nd man press when to automatically win the ball as soon as your opponents come near you when around your box.

I don't play like that but I've figured out that's how these so called Fifa gods play and I did it myself for the last couple weeks and I've won 3 titles in a row now in D1 which has never happened to me. I've been a D1 player for a long time but I never use to win it 3 in a row times until I learnt how to abuse defending. :)

Doesn't changing to high pressure via D pad immediately negate the first two lines given that high pressure is a tactic which changes aggression and width??
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    Runefang wrote: »

Doesn't changing to high pressure via D pad immediately negate the first two lines given that high pressure is a tactic which changes aggression and width??
    That's what I've been thinking since I tried it but a few people on the forums told me that's hoe its done about a month ago

• Hoosierdaddy76
    1620 posts Play-Off Hero
    I simply realized at some point that I'm not willing to adapt my play style to what is required to consistently win in D1. Last year I gave up when it became clear that every opponent was going to run down the wings and cross until they inevitably scored. By doing so, they cast the widest net and will win more games than me who enjoys buildup play.

This year I gave up when I realized that the vast majority of my opponents were going to LB+Y every time they got the ball until they inevitably scored. EA have just catered to the lowest denominator as far as player skill. Cheap tactics like crossing and lob balls allow beginners and intermediate players to have a chance against people who have actually taken the time to learn the game.
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    I simply realized at some point that I'm not willing to adapt my play style to what is required to consistently win in D1. Last year I gave up when it became clear that every opponent was going to run down the wings and cross until they inevitably scored. By doing so, they cast the widest net and will win more games than me who enjoys buildup play.

This year I gave up when I realized that the vast majority of my opponents were going to LB+Y every time they got the ball until they inevitably scored. EA have just catered to the lowest denominator as far as player skill. Cheap tactics like crossing and lob balls allow beginners and intermediate players to have a chance against people who have actually taken the time to learn the game.
    Yeah, exactly this. I dominate a lot of games but due to auto tackles and other bs, it increases the chance of my opponents getting a good result even though the playstyle they use should be less effective.
  • RealBmo7
    498 posts Sunday League Hero
    Actually no this is not how the best fifa players defend. They sit back and contain and wait for the opponent to make a mistake or position a player and when close enough make the tackle. You don't see them running around like headless chickens trying to win the ball back.
  • Korthan

Great post. I'm too lazy and stubborn to forcibly change the way I play. I admit I could do better with a couple of the controls I sometimes overlook.

Bold - you would not believe some of the dross I have 'lost' to this year and in previous years. When you bombard the other goal with shots and headers and they all hit the post/get saved and the other guy scores with one or two shots (and somehow finds himself clean through on goal with one pass despite being no threat for the whole of the previous match time) then you KNOW how it's going to end.

• Xtc
    5186 posts Big Money Move
    Any game in which you do not directly control over 90 pct of the players will rely heavily on how the cpu performs. Seriously, gk performance is a clear example. Playing well really equates to creating situations in which the cpu performs badly as opposed to the human player. This is the definition of winning UT.

Once you accept this, it is up to you how often you choose to exploit it.

Getting better at UT is not so much about honing your skills as it is finding the cpu flaws. The fact that there are many and they are glaring is something that can be debated. Is it bad coding or a commercial decision
  • Antiversum
    5814 posts Big Money Move
    But...but...Jukez said, you have to take the game as a serious one. :'(
  • COACH
    20494 posts Club Captain
    edited August 2015
    Misery sure loves company.
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    RealBmo7 wrote: »
    Actually no this is not how the best fifa players defend. They sit back and contain and wait for the opponent to make a mistake or position a player and when close enough make the tackle. You don't see them running around like headless chickens trying to win the ball back.

You can do those things with custom tactics and auto tackling. All you have to do is wait for your opponent to get close and the ball will automatically be won back for you, that's exactly what top Fifa players do. In real life you wouldn't simply win the ball by being close to a player.

All these top Fifa players are just abusing everything and cany win with actual skill.
  • Oktagon
    287 posts Sunday League Hero
    'Top players', are we talking professional FIFA players or the standard Div 1 headless chickens? Because they are miles apart. If you want to be above average, go for the insane high pressure. If you actually care about stepping up your game, you will have to do more than just contain.
  • Ch1chaa
    231 posts
    edited August 2015
    That's not how I defend. I defend alot with contain, I pressure manually and never let the CPU to do the 'real' defending. I use contain to force a choice for my opponent and then anticipate to his actions with my controlled defender. That's the best way to defend, 100 pressure/aggression is silly, no one does that. And you'll get torn apart against anyone good anyway and by good I do not mean division 1.

It takes alot of skill to achieve the consistency that top top top top players have. I'd say it takes more skill than a game like Call of Duty where you can just kill people off guard or surround yourself with highly skilled players. With Fifa, you are on your own
  • thuggie
    98 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I agree with a lot of whats been posted.

I like to pass a lot and build up play, but a majority of games I find i have 60+ possession more shots and more on target only to cocede to a cheesy lob/Yball {usually in the 45th or 90th}.

But what really grates is when the other player watches the whole replay of thier WONDERBALL which they have used all match and the down the side of the keeper at his near post, while my defence who have mopped up everything previously have decided to go in sloww motion or trough no prompting of my own do the sideways crab move, and the player thinks he is some fifa god.

I so hope 16 is all about losing or winning based on the better player and not random cheese so that the 12yr old kid or whatever feels good.
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    Oktagon wrote: »
    'Top players', are we talking professional FIFA players or the standard Div 1 headless chickens? Because they are miles apart. If you want to be above average, go for the insane high pressure. If you actually care about stepping up your game, you will have to do more than just contain.
    A lot of these players who do step up their game, also abuse the game mechanics to the max and even top players have mentioned they do that.
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ch1chaa wrote: »
    That's not how I defend. I defend alot with contain, I pressure manually and never let the CPU to do the 'real' defending. I use contain to force a choice for my opponent and then anticipate to his actions with my controlled defender. That's the best way to defend, 100 pressure/aggression is silly, no one does that. And you'll get torn apart against anyone good anyway and by good I do not mean division 1.

It takes alot of skill to achieve the consistency that top top top top players have. I'd say it takes more skill than a game like Call of Duty where you can just kill people off guard or surround yourself with highly skilled players. With Fifa, you are on your own
    Well ever since I've set high pressure/aggression to 100 I have kept more clean sheets and I have less trouble defensively, also I have to hold down contain and 2nd man press which increases my chances massively of winning the ball back in my own half. And I win the ball back, so often without ever going in for a tackle and I've seen Jukez and many others do that same.

• Ch1chaa wrote: »

Well ever since I've set high pressure/aggression to 100 I have kept more clean sheets and I have less trouble defensively, also I have to hold down contain and 2nd man press which increases my chances massively of winning the ball back in my own half. And I win the ball back, so often without ever going in for a tackle and I've seen Jukez and many others do that same.

That might be, but that doesn't mean everyone does it. I never noticed anything when it comes to the custom settings anyway. I'd say it's a waste of time/effort anyway
  • Smokey
    756 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Ch1chaa wrote: »

lol lol lol loooool lol
    lol lol lol loool