Liverpool vs Manchester City | FA Community Shield 2022

Nem
9144 posts League Winner
01.-Community-Shield-1971.jpg

FUKXRNxWIAADZ2Y.jpg

The curtain raiser to the new season is nearly upon us.

Comments

• SimenHP
    5874 posts Big Money Move
    I don't care about who wins, but I am interested in Haaland vs VVD.
  • VVD4
    8302 posts League Winner
    Hoping for

Diaz - Nunez - Salah
    Thiago - Keita
    Fabinho
    Robertson - VVD - Konate - TAA
    Alisson

Although I’d be tempted to stick Jones or Elliott in there instead of Keita, who has looked a bit off it in pre-season.

We’ve got one more pre-season game against RB Salzburg on Wednesday before this match.
  • Stlducks
    10273 posts Has That Special Something
    Don't care who wins, I just want to see goals and attacking from both sides. A fun game to kick the season off.
  • Pxul_
    12830 posts Has That Special Something
    One thing to see is the lack of pre season games city have had, don’t think they’re going to be at 100% fitness yet, so I don’t think it’ll be full gung Ho from both.
  • forearms
    6271 posts Big Money Move
    Was at the City/Bayern match last night. The severe weather definitely affected the play. Will be interesting to see how Haaland plays once he gets fully acclimated.
  • Cyodine
    6447 posts Big Money Move
    forearms wrote: »
    Was at the City/Bayern match last night. The severe weather definitely affected the play. Will be interesting to see how Haaland plays once he gets fully acclimated.

You rooting for City this season?
  • forearms
    Cyodine wrote: »

You rooting for City this season?

LOL. I try to go to some bigger matches that come to the US. This one was only 2 hours away so it was an easy choice. Last one I went to was pre-pandemic, I drove almost 1200 miles to see Bayern/Real Madrid.

The amount of City supporters at Lambeau was shocking to me. I was expecting 70/30 Bayern over City fans, but it was probably 60/40 City.
  • VVD4
    8302 posts League Winner
    Man travelled 2 hours to watch his rivals :D
  • forearms
    VVD4 wrote: »

2 hours is as close as I'm ever going to get for any match.
  • Stlducks

2 hours is as close as I'm ever going to get for any match.

Lambeau is about 4 hours from me. I get it, I mean, I wouldn't travel you see Arsenal but living in the US is different. 2 hours is a very short trip and PL teams play once a year in our area.
  • Pietu
    12662 posts Has That Special Something

Alternatively, man travelled 2 hours to watch Bayern.
  • Shshj
    14304 posts Has That Special Something
    To be fair there’s nothing like live football. My best friend is a Spurs fan and I’ve been with to the new stadium with him twice on a spare ticket. Obviously I’m not rooting for Spurs but it’s still a very enjoyable experience.

Can imagine that feeling is amplified x10 with US fans who only get the pre-season matches.
  • VVD4
    8302 posts League Winner
    3 hours to go.

Really want Nunez to start but I don’t think he will, judging by pre-season line ups.
  • Stlducks
    Seems like City have barely played this preseason. Hopefully Pep doesn’t ruin a good match today by treating it like another friendly.
  • SimenHP
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Seems like City have barely played this preseason. Hopefully Pep doesn’t ruin a good match today by treating it like another friendly.

It is a friendly. It's only the fans that treat it like something more, even though the match is only to get ready for the season like all the other pre-season matches.
  • Stlducks
    SimenHP wrote: »
    Stlducks wrote: »

It is a friendly. It's only the fans that treat it like something more, even though the match is only to get ready for the season like all the other pre-season matches.

It is a friendly but normally it is a level up than other friendlies which makes it worth it to watch. Obviously the winner means nothing though. I just don’t want to see Pep play a B team completely.
  • VVD4
    8302 posts League Winner
    Judging by that, Dias has taken the captaincy from De Bruyne.
  • Bobo23
    5457 posts Big Money Move
    Cancelo has looked terrible so far, looks like he can't even run :D
  • Cyodine
    6447 posts Big Money Move
    TRENT
  • SimenHP
    Every time I watch Silva I think he is the most underrated CM in the world today. Everyone always talks about KDB, but the way Silva controls the midfield is insane, his passing and dribbling is 10/10 and his positioning and defending is also amazing for the kind of player he is.

(Btw. I was able to watch first half before going to the cinema)
  • SimenHP
    One thing that is clear is that City's midfield need more time to understand Haaland. Already he has made3 good runs and not got the ball once so far.
  • VVD4
    8302 posts League Winner
    Every time I watch Silva I think he is the most underrated CM in the world today. Everyone always talks about KDB, but the way Silva controls the midfield is insane, his passing and dribbling is 10/10 and his positioning and defending is also amazing for the kind of player he is.

I don’t think anyone underrates B.Silva?
  • VVD4
    8302 posts League Winner
    edited July 30
    Good 30 mins. City took over for the last 15 of the half.

By playing Haaland, City have one less player on the pitch that is comfortable on the ball and there is an argument to be had as to whether this will hinder their normal build up play. They’re struggling with it currently.

Edit: he’s just standing by the CBs all game and not really doing anything else to contribute. It’s interesting considering City are used to a false 9 that drops deep to boost the numbers in midfield and press, etc.
  • SimenHP

I don’t think anyone underrates B.Silva?

Maybe underrated isn't the right word, but when I talk to people here and with friends, Silva is never the guy people talk about.
  • SimenHP
    edited July 30
    Good 30 mins. City took over for the last 15 of the half.

By playing Haaland, City have one less player on the pitch that is comfortable on the ball and there is an argument to be had as to whether this will hinder their normal build up play. They’re struggling with it currently.

They just need time and I personally think Pep is the perfect coach to make Haaland a better passer which is the biggest flaw he has. His dribbling isn't usually as bad as it has been today.
  • Kellnerr
    5242 posts Big Money Move
    Nah Haaland can't make a pass to save his life. His first half really sums him up, he literally contributes nothing to the game outside of scoring. But he will score, plenty.
  • VVD4
    8302 posts League Winner
    Nunez coming on. See how he does.
  • yosef167
    6074 posts Big Money Move
    edited July 30
    Alvarez scores in his debut