Avoiding speed up lag

JFK147
443 posts An Exciting Prospect
Anyone got any ideas how to avoid speed up lag. It’s ok most of the time but if anyone in the house starts watching Netflix or the like then it affects my gameplay. I am sure it’s the same for everyone. Do I need a separate router just for my PS4? Cheers.

Comments

• Blytz
    249 posts Sunday League Hero
    I mostly have a good connection, and only very rarely (1 in 20 games) get the yellow/red symbols followed by a short bit of lag.

My PS or XBOX are hardwired to the router, never use wifi, and I am on BT Broadband. Previously had Zen and others with similar result.

I also have Virgin Broadband, but that is horrendous for speed up lag so never use it for gaming.
  • broxigaz
    2730 posts Fans' Favourite
    I don't get speed up lag well I haven't since last year doesn't matter what others are doing with router, but I'm wired to the router I do get the yellow and red symbols though usually at the same time as others on the forum.
  • lad33
    570 posts An Exciting Prospect
    JFK147 wrote: »
    Anyone got any ideas how to avoid speed up lag. It’s ok most of the time but if anyone in the house starts watching Netflix or the like then it affects my gameplay. I am sure it’s the same for everyone. Do I need a separate router just for my PS4? Cheers.

Make sure your PS4 is wired to your router.

And if possible, if people are watching TV apps whilst your playing, it's best if those are wired too, especially if you can only connect the ps4 wireless.

If your router has QoS settings, that can help provide a consistent bandwidth throughput to your PS4.

You probably need to provide more info for people to help further.

• JFK147
    443 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Thanks for your help. What more information do I need to provide. Sorry I am not very techy at all. I just know it’s fine when no one else is in the house but when others are watching online or are on FaceTime for instance then my connection suffers.
  • lad33
    570 posts An Exciting Prospect
    How is your PS4 connected - wired or wireless?

How are the other devices connected?

What's your router model, is it provided by your internet provider?

What's your internet connection speed - download/upload?

Because you're saying speed up lag, and it's tending to happen when others are online, I'm guessing at everything being wireless at present?

If so, best action to start with is to connect your PS4 to your router with an ethernet cable.