Shot & skill cancelling worth learning?

john_d_efc
3163 posts National Call-Up
I'm not going to say comfortable to get to 14 wins each week but I know I can do it, I'm just wondering if learning these (I don't actually agree with being able to do it though) will help me improve more?

Comments

• KSYM72
    1115 posts Professional
    You've already alluded to the fact they shouldn't be in the game. So that should mean you don't want to learn these BS unrealistic mechanics. Ask yourself if scoring a goal after a skill cancel would give you any satisfaction, and if it won't then surely an extra win or 2 isn't worth it?
  • Orison
    73041 posts Icon
    Probably not.

If you can't get 14 wins then you will have general issues in your gameplay. It's much more benefitial to work on those instead of learning one small new thing.

E.g. how often do you use L1/R1, how do you defend and so on.
  • john_d_efc
    KSYM72 wrote: »
    You've already alluded to the fact they shouldn't be in the game. So that should mean you don't want to learn these BS unrealistic mechanics. Ask yourself if scoring a goal after a skill cancel would give you any satisfaction, and if it won't then surely an extra win or 2 isn't worth it?

It wouldn't really, if I'm honest but knowing EA it'll be a thing next year
  • john_d_efc
    Orison wrote: »
    Probably not.

If you can't get 14 wins then you will have general issues in your gameplay. It's much more benefitial to work on those instead of learning one small new thing.

I used L1 and R1 religiously tbh, I know defending needs work... I usually use second man press and cover the passing lane then switch to the pressing man to make a tackle

That's it in a nutshell, I do leave gaps stupidly though
  • Orison
    73041 posts Icon
    john_d_efc wrote: »
    Probably not.

I used L1 and R1 religiously tbh, I know defending needs work... I usually use second man press and cover the passing lane then switch to the pressing man to make a tackle

Those were just examples.

At the end of the day not using skillcancels is hardly costing you a single win let alone 6+ per wl.

Work on your basics, record your gameplay and let others judge it.

Personally I don't think I've cancelled a skill or shot in the last 4 months and I get rank 1 almost every week. Being able to do the basics consistently and without many mistakes sets you up for almost any fifa (unless it's a clown year like fifa 19).
  • Jordonp
    3189 posts National Call-Up
    Probably not.

If you skip to 3:04, this is one difference I notice in playing better players. That switch is difficult to both see and do without practice but it’s the most logical switch as the receiver is the only threat in that situation.

Also I think one of the main differences between 11 and 14+ wins is mentality, sharpness and composure. 14 wins isn’t easy and you need to get out of cruise control to get those extra 3 wins.

• Buzzbuzz
    2650 posts Fans' Favourite
    You don't need cheap mechanics like that to do well.

People who rely on cheap OP gimmicks have to teach themselves all the cheap OP gimmicks of the next edition when it comes out. Learn the fundamentals and just work on those.

Watch Italian Stallion on YouTube, he gets great results playing really nice football. He barely does any skills at all.
  • number7rocky
    8523 posts League Winner
    I don't shot/skill cancel cba to learn and don't have octapuss fingers 🤣 even the amount of skills I do is minimal. Still get 16 wins and 23 previous years.
  • Ruprecht
    888 posts Semi-Pro
    Is L1 R1 second man press or is it used for something else?
  • Orison
    73041 posts Icon
    Ruprecht wrote: »

Sending players on a run or calling them short.
  • john_d_efc
    Jordonp wrote: »
    Probably not.

If you skip to 3:04, this is one difference I notice in playing better players. That switch is difficult to both see and do without practice but it’s the most logical switch as the receiver is the only threat in that situation.

Also I think one of the main differences between 11 and 14+ wins is mentality, sharpness and composure. 14 wins isn’t easy and you need to get out of cruise control to get those extra 3 wins.

Mentality is definitely it, I don't throw my toys out of the pram but I tend to rush the play
  • john_d_efc

Attacking:

L1 = get in behind
    R1 = come short

Defending:

R1 = second man press
  • john_d_efc
    I'm gonna record some footage from this weekend (it be a loss as its more beneficial) if anyone fancies seeing what I can do better?
  • madlion
    2985 posts National Call-Up
    RS Player switching and having meta team without weak links is all you need for 16+

• Ruprecht
    888 posts Semi-Pro
    Ah right, nice one
  • AULERT
    1676 posts Play-Off Hero
    Do it and I will have a quick look pal.

For defending I use pressure on heavy touch & try not to overuse 2nd man press. I was explaining to someone after I played them the other day, that they need to release 2nd man press way earlier than they were. The AI’s computer aren’t good enough to defend on their own – Sure you can press with them, but they are very easy to dribble / pass around if they press you the full way.

Shot cancel is very effective inside the box still, I use it when needed.
  • Neil_14
    3083 posts National Call-Up

Attacking:

L1 = get in behind
    R1 = come short

Defending:

R1 = second man press

Wow I didn't know this. Looks like I need to learn a few things myself. I’ve never really taken the time to understand new mechanics or inputs that are introduced year by year. This is clearly something I need to work on too if I wanna improve because I haven't achieved 14 wins yet.

I achieve 11 every week without a problem. I have even gone 11-0 once and still managed to fail getting 14 wins! I can't believe I choked that WL to this day but maybe it's these little things I don't know about that's stopping me from progressing.
  • YidArmy
    2461 posts Fans' Favourite
    Neil_14 wrote: »

Attacking:

L1 = get in behind
    R1 = come short

Defending:

R1 = second man press

Wow I didn't know this. Looks like I need to learn a few things myself. I’ve never really taken the time to understand new mechanics or inputs that are introduced year by year. This is clearly something I need to work on too if I wanna improve because I haven't achieved 14 wins yet.

I achieve 11 every week without a problem. I have even gone 11-0 once and still managed to fail getting 14 wins! I can't believe I choked that WL to this day but maybe it's these little things I don't know about that's stopping me from progressing.

It definitely is mate.

Think about how much time you spend buying players, doing SBC's, playing Rivals and WL (simply for rewards).

If you used just a small part of the time you put into all that, to actually go through learning all the mechanics of the game, learning them in a kick off match against the AI / arena for skill moves, you would improve your results no end.

Improving and practicing your understanding of the game >>>> upgrading your team.

Clearing it isn't as fun as just playing the game, but it depends what you want from your Fifa experience.

@Neil_14
  • Neil_14
    3083 posts National Call-Up
    YidArmy wrote: »
    Neil_14 wrote: »

Attacking:

L1 = get in behind
    R1 = come short

Defending:

R1 = second man press

It definitely is mate.

Think about how much time you spend buying players, doing SBC's, playing Rivals and WL (simply for rewards).

If you used just a small part of the time you put into all that, to actually go through learning all the mechanics of the game, learning them in a kick off match against the AI / arena for skill moves, you would improve your results no end.

Improving and practicing your understanding of the game >>>> upgrading your team.

Clearing it isn't as fun as just playing the game, but it depends what you want from your Fifa experience.

@Neil_14

@YidArmy that makes complete sense tbf. Thank you for the wise words. I will definitely give this a try and see how I get on.
  • McFandan
    1569 posts Play-Off Hero
    It won’t make a huge difference to your overall game or results but it’s worth learning the shot cancel and turn/spin cancel just so you can do it back to people who spam skill moves at kick off.

It’ll help you learn how to better defend them too
  • Ruprecht
    888 posts Semi-Pro
    Might be a daft question but does the camera you use make any difference? I use tele broadcast, always have done but wondered if better players used coop
  • Orison
    73041 posts Icon
    Might be a daft question but does the camera you use make any difference? I use tele broadcast, always have done but wondered if better players used coop

No, most people use Tele broadcast.

Either 10-10, because it doesn't change when you play in weirdo stadiums in rivals or 20-0 for the best visibility.

A few people play coop, but most good players don't feel comfortable with it. You need magnifying glasses to dribble in tight spaces on coop.
  • Ruprecht
    888 posts Semi-Pro

Either 10-10, because it doesn't change when you play in weirdo stadiums in rivals or 20-0 for the best visibility.

A few people play coop, but most good players don't feel comfortable with it. You need magnifying glasses to dribble in tight spaces on coop.

Cheers, I’ll give 20-0 a whirl

• Orison
    73041 posts Icon

This is 20-0. I usually don't record entire games, but the one starting at 1:30 was just funny.
    https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/orison44/video/157442614

If you wanna learn something and notice your own mistakes it defo makes sense to record your own games tho. Makes you realize that it's usually not the game that makes you lose, but your own decisions.
  • Ruprecht
    888 posts Semi-Pro

This is 20-0. I usually don't record entire games, but the one starting at 1:30 was just funny.

If you wanna learn something and notice your own mistakes it defo makes sense to record your own games tho. Makes you realize that it's usually not the game that makes you lose, but your own decisions.

Yes, that looked good, I’m definitely not using that at the mo, 15-5 maybe, not sure so I’ll change it tonight. Could do with recording some as I know I make errors and know the exact point where I make them and just hope it’s not exploited but generally they are. Barely ever only use my cdm to track back like some people do, just right switch to the defenders to close space and force people into a particular direction. Works at a level but not against better players.

There’s still levels to this game tho, like that pass for the last goal, I’d have played the one two with the CM, never in a million years would I have seen that pass.

• Orison
    73041 posts Icon
    edited May 6

Yes, that looked good, I’m definitely not using that at the mo, 15-5 maybe, not sure so I’ll change it tonight. Could do with recording some as I know I make errors and know the exact point where I make them and just hope it’s not exploited but generally they are. Barely ever only use my cdm to track back like some people do, just right switch to the defenders to close space and force people into a particular direction. Works at a level but not against better players.

There’s still levels to this game tho, like that pass for the last goal, I’d have played the one two with the CM, never in a million years would I have seen that pass.

Most people don't see the inshallah through balls which is funny considering they work for the 2nd year in a row.

All you had to change was normal through balls to L1+R1/LB+RB through balls.

And yet most people even at high skillrating/high form in WL still don't manually select their CBs to defend it. Basically free goals then.

Things like that are super easy to learn and make your games considerably easier.

Ofc on pro level people defend that stuff so you might wanna learn skillcancels and what not. But on a casual WL/rivals level I would 100% rather learn those through balls. Probably getting you 10x more goals per WL than skillcancels do.
  • john_d_efc
    @Orison that was quite interesting, I actually do the same attacking and I know defending is an issue for me, how do you usually defend?
  • McFandan
    1569 posts Play-Off Hero
    Watching that video made me realise I need to ball roll way more, the space and passing lanes it opens up are a gamechanger
  • Orison
    73041 posts Icon
    @Orison that was quite interesting, I actually do the same attacking and I know defending is an issue for me, how do you usually defend?

I dunno. Just based on feeling. Usually 2nd men press while trying to cover passing lanes and then switch into a player to take the ball away if I get the chance.

Quickly played another game in the Elite div to record some gameplay. Choked it with Cancelo once, you should never do that if you like not to concede :joy: But mistakes happen and you don't need to be perfect to win games, just make less mistakes than your opponent.
    https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/orison44/video/157447257