WL for beginners - JUST FINISHED - FINAL BALANCE

Saiber_Summia
3206 posts National Call-Up
edited April 24
If you want, feel free to spit on me 🤣

Never played WL, too much stress and anyway I’m very very mediocre player (div 4 rivals at my best)

Now, this weekend I tried qualifying, more for a sort of curiosity, and luckily I managed to qualify.

Obviously I expect to be smashed from all the better players snd even from the try-hard-constant-pressure-all-match

Just to collect a bit more decent reward, which are the days a bad player has more chances to win couple of games without having to sweat too much? As it should be logical on Sun afternoon, or any specific time/day when the best are not all there?

Thanks
Post edited by Saiber_Summia on

Comments

• abhreebhu_45
    15142 posts World Class
    For me fridays are surprisingly easy(1st 5 games)

Saturdays are worst

Sundays are ok,but connection is bad usually

Don't stretch to monday as opponents won't be found easily

All d best,,u will get to 9 wins
  • Burchy
    1828 posts Play-Off Hero
    Just play your own style of football and try to enjoy it.

You will win a few games and you will come up against better players who will tear you apart.

Try aim for 5 wins out of the 20. I find on Sunday you get a few people that will score an own goal and quit giving you the win which can be a massive help.

For added quickness of getting the games done, you can always quit after going a couple of goals down. Still give you a point.
  • Mooncloud
    92 posts Park Captain
    I remember other years guys saying you had to play your games in full instead of just quitting when your opponent is winning big because your ELO wouldn't reduce from a rage quit, is that still the same?
  • Bob_Bobson
    3410 posts National Call-Up
    I've found more people quit when they go a goal down on Sundays. That said, I usually batter through my games on the Friday. Saturdays suffer from too many people on and more lag.

Aim for 5 wins and don't worry if you get a few pastings. ELO will sort you out.
  • broxigaz
    1929 posts Fans' Favourite
    Sundays m8 and all the best.
  • Luminias
    63 posts Park Captain
    Never quit a game. If you lose you will find easier opponents.
  • Saiber_Summia
    Thanks all guys!
    Ok, so few games (let’s say 5 max) on friday and all the rest on Sun afternoon

I just aim to get a couple of packs and be able to say I played 1WL through the entire year

And yes, I know, I’m a bit a 🤡, but honestly I do not like to be smashed and then even messaged like “uhhh so bad with such a team”, etc like it happened during the qualifiers
    🤣🤣🤣
  • freddfranca
    2628 posts Fans' Favourite
    Be ready to play 20 games against the same kind of opponent. It’s the hardest thing to play a good game on WL, all you face is people abusing game mechanics and making the same play the entire game.
  • JohnShelby
    1556 posts Play-Off Hero
    Mooncloud wrote: »
    I remember other years guys saying you had to play your games in full instead of just quitting when your opponent is winning big because your ELO wouldn't reduce from a rage quit, is that still the same?

This is BS
    I quit 5-10 matches every WL and always gets a lot easier opp after 2,3 quits in a row
  • BadSeedsFC
    3169 posts National Call-Up
    Friday and Sundays, brother. And turn off the messages. It will help you a lot.
  • DannySTFC
    9792 posts Has That Special Something
    Do what I do and gift your first five games so the following five will be straight forward 😆
  • Saiber_Summia
    Thanks everybody for the tips!
  • Saiber_Summia
    DannySTFC wrote: »
    Do what I do and gift your first five games so the following five will be straight forward 😆

I do not need to give away wins: I will be anyway smashed by whoever I will be matched 🤣
    It will happen naturally, I guess 🤣
  • DannySTFC
    9792 posts Has That Special Something

I do not need to give away wins: I will be anyway smashed by whoever I will be matched 🤣

It probably won’t be as hard as you expect. If you lose a few games at first the matchmaking will even out and you should start playing people on a similar level. Since they changed WL qualification from 5 wins out of 9 to 4 wins out of 10 you’ll find some pretty average players qualifying.
  • Diem
    1043 posts Professional

A lot of it is mental.

If you do get smashed, or even just lose due to supporting unfortunate, try to keep your calm and reset for the next one.

Take regular breaks, every few games, just a couple of minutes to stretch your legs, grab a drink etc. Don't blitz game after game after game.
  • Smashed_It_Bro
    212 posts Sunday League Hero
    Saturday morning between 1-3am and Sunday Morning between 1-3am in the UK seems to be the time most people gift wins. I know myself this is the time I've normally finished the games I need and start givings W's.

Never play before 10pm on a Friday as its Pro's Youtubers and Sweats playground.
  • nufcMarcus1984
    508 posts An Exciting Prospect
    If connection feels good just play. Ignore all the dont play at this time or this day crap. Just play when your connection is at its best. I get 55points normally and I play all games on Friday from 9am to evening if its smooth. the minute it feels bad I will leave it an hour an go back to see if its smooth again
  • Gazz10
    675 posts Semi-Pro
    Keep us posted OP!
    GL and don’t let the game get to you. You’ll defo get 5/9 wins
  • AULERT
    1738 posts Play-Off Hero
    I’m the same, haven’t touched a weekend league game all year. Imagine I’d be a div 2 player maybe, but currently in div 9 don’t play rivals.

Last year I’d get approximately 18-19 wins with a few games spare, anyone know where that would leave me this year? In terms of division a WL finish I guess?

Good luck OP!
  • what3v3r
    1157 posts Professional
    AULERT wrote: »
    I’m the same, haven’t touched a weekend league game all year. Imagine I’d be a div 2 player maybe, but currently in div 9 don’t play rivals.

Last year I’d get approximately 18-19 wins with a few games spare, anyone know where that would leave me this year? In terms of division a WL finish I guess?

Good luck OP!

At least rank 5 I would say
  • Saiber_Summia

Good luck OP!

Thanks. Rivals I still play as an half-decent fun mode.
    At least, with the new mechanism people do not care too much to lose a match (no relegations etc) so it is not rare to play nice games with good fair play attitude on both sides
    Friendlies, due to the fact are linked to obj, are just stressful as WL seems to be.
  • Orison
    74375 posts Icon

Good luck OP!

What are you playing if you don't play WL or rivals?
  • AULERT
    1738 posts Play-Off Hero
    Orison wrote: »

Good luck OP!

What are you playing if you don't play WL or rivals?

I pretty much just grind for any half decent objective players. For example I have a few players from Icon Swaps, Abraham, Sarr, Zakaria, Shaw, Yarmolenko, Stindl, Simon, Anderson, Trippier, Lo Celso, Osimen, Defrel, Bergiwijn, Tagliafico, the Dutch squad foundation players & at least 10-15 more… In fact most of these need to be put into an SBC, but I like grinding for them in friendlies. Was doing most silver stars but have stopped that now since they bought out all the juiced up players.

I don’t really get time for WL so haven’t bothered with that, but played some rivals last night and half enjoyed it, but probably because I’m sitting in div 9 due to not playing!

I think it’s an unpopular opinion but I actually enjoy friendlies. Enjoyed the 1 team friendly mode with 1 max player 85 recently.

I would say my ‘main team’ is made up of half promo players.
  • Legendace
    25 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I did play for 1st time last weekend. As you said i expected to get smashed... But i did well enough. Decent games (most of them won some, lost some, gifted as said before some. I got 44 points i think, 1 less for rank 6. Not bad i think for 1st time!
  • fussydutchman
    2206 posts Fans' Favourite
    Go into it knowing you'll lose a lot and I bet you end up winning more games than you think you will.
  • Saiber_Summia
    Thanks all for the solidarity
    Will let you know the results (well, you can already guess by yourselves 🤣🤣🤣)
  • GitGood
    726 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Out of curiosity I played my first WL last weekend, ended up with 13 wins with 3 or 4 games left which I gave away…reward’s were awful including TOTW pack.
  • Saiber_Summia
    Again thanks everybody.
    First 5 matches: 2 won, 3 lost (2 after extra time)

The level is not terrible, I feel I can somehow compete without being hopelessly smashed…
    most of the matches were head to head…

BUT

the level of stress is much more than I can withstand. I mean, it is a competitive mode, I understand, but constant pressure from min 1, exploit of all game mechanics every match, etc etc is something going beyond the limit I set to consider the game enjoyable (already under pressure the entire working week, I’m in the semicon segment, that is experiencing the most dramatic supply shortage of the last 40-50 years)

Not sure why, but instead of entering in the match playing with my style, relaxed, like somebody said few posts above, I just adopt the same win-win-win-at-all-costs-win mode

Prob I need a psychiatric support 🤣🤣🤣
    or eventually drink a couple of good scotches before every match 🤣🤣🤣
  • SpiderMonkeybpg
    3531 posts National Call-Up
    If you made it through qualifiers I expect at least 8-9 wins from you in WL. Go for 11 though. Good luck
  • Saiber_Summia
    If you made it through qualifiers I expect at least 8-9 wins from you in WL. Go for 11 though. Good luck
    Let’s see
    Next round, like everybody advised me, Sun afternoon. Maybe a couple of gifted wins could make the difference and my day

I know, I’m a 🤡