My Benjamin Pavard Review

john_d_efc
3163 posts National Call-Up
Another one for you all, apologies for the short amount of games but I thought some games are better than none, especially with this SBC expiring tomorrow as well. For some context, I've just went from a defence with Smalling, Cordoba and Theate to the bundesliga one below and I'm still not sure on the entire defence but I'll try and focus on Pavard best I can.

The team:

Screenshot-2022-04-05-at-10-57-23.png

The tactics:

Here's the stats:

Games: 10 (Rivals Elite)
Goals: 0
Assists: 0

Futbin: https://www.futbin.com/22/player/25035/benjamin-pavard
3* WF
3* Skills
Body Type: High & Average
Height: 6'1"
Workrates: L/H

Positions:

RCB: 10 games in a 352

Chem Styles:

Anchor: 10 games

Shooting:

Didn't ever get the chance to shoot with him and I'd be very worried if he was up there :joy:

Passing:

I think this is where the card shines for me, he's pretty reliable on the ball especially to play out of defence. With me playing a 352 lately I've really been valuing having good passing of late. Also, I have whipped a few naughty crosses and cross field balls with a lot of ease.

Pace:

He's quick, I think personally on a Varane level if I had to compare. His recovery speed has been great and his transitioning in the jockey has helped keep them pesky opponents who spin and spin, this can also be part of the dribbling (although I read defensive awareness contributes to that)

Dribbling:

As usual, he's not Messi HOWEVER he is really agile considering he's a defender. I wouldn't play him at fullback I don't think he's that agile but he could hold his own as a lone CDM and CB. I don't focus too much or do anything too fancy with CBs, but it's helpful to play out of the press.

Defending:

EA apparently nerfed this FB at CB business but I haven't noticed any difference compared to a normal CB. He does get caught out on the odd occasion, he's not the best CB I've ever used, if I was being overly critical I'd say Theate is a better out and out defender.

I do kinda notice the aggression in tackles as well but it's manageable, it's hard to tell if it's this game or not sometimes though.

The Showdown:

I'll keep this section for this just for some added information but Bayern are playing Villareal away from home.

Villareal - 7th BBVA - 2 wins 3 losses in 5 however they did beat Juventus in the previous round

Bayern - 1st Bundeslifa - 3 wins 2 draws in 5

Maybe some Bayern/Villareal fans can shed more light on this.

Systems & Formations:

I think this guy is definitely, 100%, a CB and a CB in a 3 man defence. He's not offensive enough to play FB in my opinion. He's a good ball playing defender, he's not a brute and won't bully attackers which I think you need in the CB position in a 4 man defence.

I do think though you could play him at CDM if you really needed to, but only as a CDM that drops between defenders or a lone CDM. He offers very little going forward to warrant being in a 2 CDM formation like a 4231

Conclusion:

So, everything sounded good with Pavard no? Well not really. The way I see it is that he's just the same as any other CB you could get in the Bundesliga or French (there's a million of them) here's just a few that you could get tradeable (and mostly cheaper):

- https://www.futbin.com/22/player/22967/evan-ndicka
- https://www.futbin.com/22/player/24981/piero-hincapie (can upgrade for a +3)
- https://www.futbin.com/22/player/22379/moussa-niakhate
- https://www.futbin.com/22/player/21863/nordi-mukiele

We all do this SBC for the upgrade but look at Hincapie? He can go up +3 (he already is pegged in for a +1) and is 60kish.

Even with the upgrade would it make that much of a difference so close to TOTS?

I'd only do this if you need a RB to play in CB with good workrates (You could again just get Mukiele) or you have Hernandez/Sule untradeable and need the links.

Sorry for the doom and gloom at the end, I'm just giving my honest opinion from what I've seen so far in 10 games :sweat_smile:

No gameplay for this man as I usually just clip the goals I score (plus you'll only see my shocking defending anyway).

Comments

• abhreebhu_45
    13646 posts Has That Special Something
    Will do him for the hall of sbc/objectives n I got tolisso to link him n I play 3ATB
  • RuddyElmate2022
    2144 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yeah I wish I didn’t bother with him tbh can’t move him to CB in game with my team at the moment. After the upgrade maybe but agree with this review 100 percent.
  • john_d_efc
    Yeah I wish I didn’t bother with him tbh can’t move him to CB in game with my team at the moment. After the upgrade maybe but agree with this review 100 percent.

Yeah mate, he just isn't anything special at all is he? Expecially when you can get players for less 😅
  • Metalfly
    1748 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 5
    Thank you for the review, and I think it's really important you lay out the pros and cons of this card, especially with the market conditions.

It'd be one thing if this card was super cheap, but it's just expensive enough to maybe look for existing alternatives, Bundesliga cards already offer great value for coins and this one just doesn't seem that tempting.
  • john_d_efc
    Metalfly wrote: »
    Thank you for the review, and I think it's really important you lay out the pros and cons of this card, especially with the market conditions.

It'd be one thing if this card was super cheap, but it's just expensive enough to maybe look for existing alternatives, Bundesliga cards already offer great value for coins and this one just doesn't seem that tempting.

Yeah you just can't justify it, especially when you've got Ndicka and Niakate there who are near the same
  • greif44x2
    1673 posts Play-Off Hero
    He looks like a solid CB if you switch to 3 atb. Can't see this guy taking RB spot unless they're on stay back 100% of the time
  • john_d_efc
    I won't lie, I'm regretting doing this card :joy:
  • RuddyElmate2022
    Same here. After doing Weg I’m annoyed by doing Kent too.
  • RuddyElmate2022
    Hopefully the plus 2 does the card wonders.
  • Jdizzle
    3020 posts National Call-Up
    Is he that bad? i'm hoping to play him cb but might just stick with cozza.
  • fifa_meh
    103 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I did him as I used 84 Mukiele at the start and found him a fantastic defensive fullback so figured Pavard maybe slightly similar, I tried him at CB also and can't get on with him at all. The biggest plus for me is he's decent at auto blocking and good in the air, very good actually which I enjoy.

Otherwise I find him incredibly clunky in both positions - I didn't expect him to be agile but he's very rigid and as I like to say a 'straight line player' forget about trying to recover with him and the 3 star WF a real pain in the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ which doesn't usually bother me at all with defenders, his however feels more like a 1 or 2.

I regret doing it but he should almost certainly get a +2 and will get used as fodder. A +2 won't help this card enough for my liking.

I noticed when chasing games and going all out dare I say he's actually bizarrely effective going forward? Something tells me he *might* for whatever reason work okay at cdm?
  • john_d_efc
    I've played a bit more with Pavard (23 games in total now) and he's still pretty solid but nothing special
  • Ruprecht
    883 posts Semi-Pro
    Used him in WL qualifiers last night. First time trying a 532 with a bundes/prem mix with no 5 * skillers to just play football. He seemed decent enough, no glaring errors, good enough. Tackled well and passed well. Positionally sound, just what I wanted really. Hincapié on the other hand was exceptional. Had top attacking icons and Mbappe et al in his pocket. Shocked how good he was.

On a separate note, used Son 91 red for the first time and played him striker. 12 goals in 7 games, the finisher that I’ve been missing playing Puskas and Mbappe. Going to get him into a better team next time I play.
  • abhreebhu_45
    john_d_efc wrote: »
    I've played a bit more with Pavard (23 games in total now) and he's still pretty solid but nothing special

He's PATHETIC
    played with him in one league n wow,what a howler of a card,absolutely can't do a thing right,,n m not convinced that a +2 will improve him either
  • john_d_efc
    Ruprecht wrote: »
    Used him in WL qualifiers last night. First time trying a 532 with a bundes/prem mix with no 5 * skillers to just play football. He seemed decent enough, no glaring errors, good enough. Tackled well and passed well. Positionally sound, just what I wanted really. Hincapié on the other hand was exceptional. Had top attacking icons and Mbappe et al in his pocket. Shocked how good he was.

On a separate note, used Son 91 red for the first time and played him striker. 12 goals in 7 games, the finisher that I’ve been missing playing Puskas and Mbappe. Going to get him into a better team next time I play.

Hincapie has been lights out for me!
  • Boysie91
    15001 posts World Class
    Played him CB on 7 chem he was awful. I already have untradeable prime Cafu at RB so couldn't use him on full chem.
  • DannySTFC
    9451 posts League Winner
    Did him in a rush before 6pm. Only played 3 games but haven’t really noticed him yet. Varane will do things in defence where he stands out, it’s hard to say Pavard has done anything wrong but he definitely hasn’t done anything to stand out. Really early days but if Bayern don’t win I might be regretting this one.
  • Ballerson
    1524 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 6
    No clue why EA picked Pavard for this sbc, everyone who knows Bayern know he’s been dismal for the past 3 years, he’s entitled at Bayern & w the French ntl team. Rl if he plays cb its insta goals for opp; rb he consistently doesn’t mark corners, free kicks or like in the game tonight — vacant — although Musiala gave a shhh it no defense 1st half — all this to say, Pavard is about as deserving of this sbc as my pet parrot…

Ps, no way I did the sbc.
  • RuddyElmate2022
    Booooo.
    Ffs hahaha.
  • abhreebhu_45
    He was n will remain abysmal

My aurier on the other hand 😉
  • nufcMarcus1984
    506 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Can he be put into an sbc now?