My Wout Weghorst Review

john_d_efc
3163 posts National Call-Up
edited April 4
Getting this one earlier than the last one, there's less games but I'll provide an update with more games etc. Also, being an Everton fan I can give a bit more information or view on the showdown game on Wednesday if that helps although I don't want to be dragged into a war of words with any other blues on it :joy:

The team:

Screenshot-2022-04-03-at-16-13-07.png

The tactics:

Here's the stats:

Games: 10 (Rivals Elite, WL Qual)
Goals: 17
Assists: 4

Futbin: https://www.futbin.com/22/player/25032/wout-weghorst
4* WF
4* Skills
Body Type: High & Average
Height: 6'6"
Workrates: H/H

Positions:

ST: 10 games in a 352

Chem Styles:

Engine: 10 games

Shooting:

Wout has really good shooting for me, he's usually very clinical as well although he has had this howlers in the finishing department. For the most part though, I can back him to finish. Heading is a different one because it's manual and I'm shocking at it however I'd say usually a free header lands and I dare say, in the hands of someone better at heading, he will bag even more

Passing:

Top quality passing for me this, I used an engine on him mainly for overkill but I want him to hold the ball up and lay it off to overlapping players and he does this perfectly. Is he Xavi? No. What he is is a good ball playing targetman

Pace:

He's quick, but he doesn't look it. He's got them lanky legs that just look awkward at speed and he does get caught up by quicker defenders like Varane etc. He's not slow... he's just not blisteringly quick either. I'd just use him as a focal point and not to tear in behind

Dribbling:

He isn't clunky, he's heavy to a degree but you can still turn really really well with him. Consider that he's 6ft6 with a bigger body type it's quite surprising. Definitely Ibrahimovic vibes from years past from him

Movement:

I did have him on get in behind but that was kinda forcing the issue, @freddfranca suggested that I just keep him on balanced and this has helped a lot! He always seems to find pockets of space to be open, he comes short when you need him and long when you need him (don't forget to L1 or R1). Personally, I'm loving the movement
and he offers a lot

The Showdown (Everton Perspective):

Simply put, Everton are shocking currently. Confidence is low, injuries are high but that isn't the biggest issue. The biggest problem is the lack of character in the group, especially away from home (this game is away for us) and when something goes against us the team folds like origami.

We are shocking at defending, even worse at defending set pieces (Burnley are solid at these)

I honestly see an upgrade for Weghorst, the upgrade I see is a +2 purely because it's away from home and Burnley are always a tough team to play.

Conclusion:

Honestly, he's a fun card and I have booted out R94 for him. He offers so much more than just the same old spinning around like Mbappe etc do. You need an out ball? He's up top. You need to get a goal in a packed box? He's there.

Surround him with players, don't always look to cross (go visit the Targetman thread those lads in there are always happy to help), look to hold the ball, play through him and you'll see other players (like Pele for me) have better numbers because people are covering Weghorst more due to his height and aerial threat

I don't want to go too overboard however I think if you were to get him into your team somehow you won't be dissapointed.

The price, it's 300k, I think it's an absolute steal for what he offers if I'm honest. Consider that you can get it cheaper with fodder and that he can upgrade as well it isn't bad. Compared to the other showdowns it's a bit disappointing that it's not priced likewise.

I'm leaving some clips below for you to look at, just to see the different types of goals etc

Comments

• abhreebhu_45
    13760 posts Has That Special Something
    Very well written mate
  • john_d_efc
    Very well written mate

Thanks mate, need to keep on top of adding gameplay as well
  • mypetfrog
    2890 posts National Call-Up
    Interested... I have enough fodder to do the 87 segment for free, so guess he's worth chucking 100k into as a super sub?
  • DannySTFC
    9464 posts League Winner
    I’ve only played 7 games with him so far with 8 goals. 2 of those games didn’t go beyond 16 minutes and another 45 minutes so 8 in 7 isn’t really fair, it’s more like 8 in 5.

I really like him early on, hopefully isn’t just a honeymoon period. He’s only had 10 shots for me in those games and converted 8 of them, feels like the best finisher I’ve used so far and that’s saying something with Ginola, Puskas, Eto’o in my team. I really need to find a way of maximising crossing though as it doesn’t seem to matter who I have up top I just can’t score headers.

I’d love him to get an upgrade but I feel like he doesn’t rely on one. If I had Richarlison, based purely on stats, I’d say he needs the upgrade because he looks average, but this Weghorst is good enough already.
  • john_d_efc
    mypetfrog wrote: »
    Interested... I have enough fodder to do the 87 segment for free, so guess he's worth chucking 100k into as a super sub?

Honestly mate, it'll all come down to your playstyle that one. If you cross a bit etc then definitely worth it however if you have other big strikers like Tammy Abraham then you may as well save the fodder
  • john_d_efc
    @DannySTFC that's the way I look at these showdowns, do they need the upgrade? If the answer is no then I'll do it otherwise I don't gamble
  • john_d_efc
    Plus we will give Weg that +2 no bother come Wednesday 😂
  • GeorgeGervin
    3217 posts National Call-Up
    Great review @john_d_efc - appreciate all the time you take for these.
  • john_d_efc
    Great review @john_d_efc - appreciate all the time you take for these.

Thanks mate, makes writing them worthwhile seeing comments like this :)
  • YidArmy
    2461 posts Fans' Favourite
    Good review and nice team you have here. Enjoying it more using a few different cards?

Used Weghorst for WL this weekend and really loved using him too. I don't use big men in attack usually but went for it to try something different and it really was a breath of fresh air being able to have another weapon against all these low block defenses I come up against.
  • john_d_efc
    @YidArmy Yeah mate, dropping Varane and Ramos for that backline has helped a lot

Gonna be doing Pavard so I now need to change it 😂😂
  • mypetfrog
    Worth chucking the 93 Flashback Kane card into this? Presume Weghorst will be an improvement?
  • john_d_efc
    Worth chucking the 93 Flashback Kane card into this? Presume Weghorst will be an improvement?

@mypetfrog Sorry mate, I couldn't say I've not used Kane. I'd dive over into the targetman thread and ask them, they all love a brute up top so they will definitely have used him :joy:
  • mypetfrog
    john_d_efc wrote: »

@mypetfrog Sorry mate, I couldn't say I've not used Kane. I'd dive over into the targetman thread and ask them, they all love a brute up top so they will definitely have used him :joy:

Thanks. Have posted. Then EA give a Prime Puskas SBC... Now, where should that 87 rated squad go... Hmmmm.
  • Biged808
    515 posts An Exciting Prospect

Got 1 myself that needs dumping he is terrible
  • john_d_efc

Thanks. Have posted. Then EA give a Prime Puskas SBC... Now, where should that 87 rated squad go... Hmmmm.

My view on this, you'll find plenty of Puskas type players knocking about on FIFA. Weghorst is very unique so I'd say go there. Also depends if Puskas or Weghorst will start or not I think
  • malso
    138 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Being a Blue myself, I couldn't do the SBC. Had to get Richi instead.
    Couldn't bring myself to have any positives if we lose on Wednesday.
    Gr8 review though 👍🏻
  • Neil_14
    3083 posts National Call-Up
    Nice review, getting better at them too. Nice to see some clips 👌
  • Torminator
    1781 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 4
    Just played 3 rivals matches with weghorst and origi up top in a 3-5-2. All three matches opponent quits as soon as weghorst scores. First ball in first match he decides not to head the cross but do some floppy bycicle kind off thing haha. Immediate RQ.

He is not clunky at all for me, i also use him with engine. His passing is also awesome and he doesnt seem to drop as deep as other H/H strikers i used which is great.
  • KSYM72
    1115 posts Professional
    Torminator wrote: »
    Just played 3 rivals matches with weghorst and origi up top in a 3-5-2. All three matches opponent quits as soon as weghorst scores. First ball in first match he decides not to head the cross but do some floppy bycicle kind off thing haha. Immediate RQ.

He is not clunky at all for me, i also use him with engine. His passing is also awesome and he doesnt seem to drop as deep as other H/H strikers i used which is great.

Haha he's definitely a rage quit machine! My favourite so far was a Mckennie giant throw to his chest on the penalty spot. I held shield and the defender just bounced off him and hit the deck, then a quick flick up followed by a volley on the turn and the guy was gone!

Excellent review aswell 👍
  • Riotiga
    1286 posts Professional
    This card is insane. His header is absolutely out this world lol and I'm not really a targetman-style player really, but he makes me change my playstyle to accommodate his strength.
  • Rainaz
    1079 posts Professional
    Hes unmatched at what he does. Don't run or dribble with him.

Abuse the cross and manually position him on corners.

Crazy fun card
  • heapsgood
    510 posts An Exciting Prospect
    John D for president
  • john_d_efc
    @heapsgood Too kind mate!
  • joshyw
    882 posts Semi-Pro
    I’ve gone from playing with Butra upfront to this guy so it’s taken some getting used to, but he’s given me so many different options with how I play.

I can now cross knowing he’ll be on the end of it, go long from a goal kick knowing he’ll win the header, I’ve basically morphed into Tony Pulis😂 his finishing with his feet is also incredible.

Great SBC and hopefully he gets the upgrade and pushes Everton nearer the drop in the process
  • Wegonaget
    914 posts Semi-Pro
    Made a prem team just for fun last night him and origi up top absolutely bossed div 1 to get me back to elite. The guy is very unique compared to my main team with greiz and mbappe was nice to enjoy a new fun team.
  • mypetfrog
    Still undecided. I have Tammy and FB Kane languishing in the club never being used. Is it worth me doing Weghorst? Maybe I'm just a rat who wants to go do Kent instead 😢
  • john_d_efc
    @mypetfrog Think of it this way, there's always another Ryan Kent type player, there's only one Weghorst
  • mypetfrog
    @mypetfrog Think of it this way, there's always another Ryan Kent type player, there's only one Weghorst

Haha. I'm just needing a push. I know it's time to try something different before I return to rat-play at TOTS.
  • KSYM72
    1115 posts Professional

Exactly this, players like Kent are ten a penny. You'll be lucky to see another player as unique as Weghorst for the rest of this fifa, especially as an SBC.