R94 and R96 Analysis

Metalfly
1748 posts Play-Off Hero
edited March 24
I've been lucky enough to use both of these cards for a bit, and just want to give my thoughts on the cards, breaking down what they are good at and the differences between the two. Hopefully this is useful for some people who may be thinking of going for one of them. I won't really talk about PIM as I've not used him this year and he is quite obviously going to be incredible.

Overview of the card

So since the introduction in FIFA18, R9 is consistently viewed as the best striker in the game by the majority of the community. He is quite nimble for a big guy, has the strength and the size to go up against the best defenders, can shoot with both feet, 5* SM, Finesse and Chip Shot traits etc.

He is still the best striker in the game in my opinion, however I feel like the peak R9 was back in FIFA20, when he was quite clearly the best by a wide margin, you can see the evidence of this by literally every single pro using him during comps. Since then I think there have been some subtle changes that meant while he's still incredible, there's more of a contest now between him and TOTY CR7/TOTY Mbappe/PIM Puskas etc.

Things which R9 could abuse in previous versions are less effective this year, like Finesse Shot, dragbacks, shielding etc. Also the sticky dribbling that players like Neymar, Cruyff and R9 used to have in previous versions aren't as obvious this year.

His movement is still top tier however, he has the ability to sniff out loose balls inside the box and consistently able to get beyond the defenders with his power and speed. You will find that you can score a lot of tap-ins with R9, it might feel like he's not doing anything special but it becomes more obvious when you look at goal records over many games.

Things to keep in mind when using R9

In general, the main issue with any R9 cards is his workrate, the Medium attacking workrate means quite often when you are carrying the ball forward with your midfielders, R9 would kind of just stand around before making a late run. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as he could often find more space this way, but I believe this is the biggest problem for a player using R9 for the first time after they are used to strikers with High workrate. You need to hold the ball for longer with your ball carriers and wait for him to get into position, when he does start to move though he is unstoppable.

Another thing is R9 shouldn't be used as a dribbler, his dribbling isn't bad but it's not on the level of a Messi or Ben Yedder, so if you pass the ball to his feet when he's stationary, it just allows the defender to pounce on him. He does have 5*SM but he won't be able to pull them off as smoothly as a Neymar or Cruyff, so I would recommend unless there are ton of space, always look for through balls for him to run onto.

I also think R9 is much better as a lone striker as he will see more of the ball, in a two striker formation alongside a partner with High workrate he often just stays outside the box which isn't where you want him.

His stamina also isn't great, for a standard game he is usually pretty spent by the 70th min, you can mitigate this somewhat by giving him instructions like Stay Forward, Stay Central, Conservative tackling etc. But just be ready with an able replacement.

Difference between R94 and R96

So while R9 is R9, he is pretty much good at all the same things, there are some differences between the two cards and it's not as obvious that Prime is better than Mid.

The R96 is faster and a better dribbler, the R94 has more Strength, Composure and a better workrate (M/L vs. M/M). The workrate in particular means R94 tend to stay just a bit closer to goal where R96 would hang around further back, usually in between the half-way line and the penalty box.

One more thing that people don't usually look at but actually makes a notable difference is weight, R94 weighs 4kg more than R96, this makes R94 feel heavier when you trying to turn, even with an Engine on that gives him better Agility and Balance, however it also make him feel noticeably stronger as his model is bulkier.

Chemistry style also does make a difference for the two, R94 could use an Engine or Hawk, I tend to prefer Hawk as even with an Engine he isn't going to feel that nimble, while Hawk tend to boost what he's already good at. R96 has the advantage here as you don't really need to boost his Pace or Shooting, so you have the luxury of choosing beween Marksman, Finisher, Engine etc. My personal favourite is actually just Basic as it boost everything I want, although I've even seen people put Artist on him.

Final Thought

I think both of these cards are very fun and arguably the best strikers in the game, but overall I would recommend R94 just ahead of R96 due to value, there are enough small advantages of R94 that I don't think a 2m+ price differences are warranted. However if you prefer your striker to be more explosive and nimble then R96 is the obvious choice.

On the other hand, you don't go for R9 if you want value for coins, HM David and WW Alessandrini can't be beat on that front, but even from a nostalgic perspective R94 has that haircut so make that what you will lol.
Post edited by Metalfly on

Comments

• RealReal
    103 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Using the prime right now and while I love him I’m thinking of going back to the mid and upgrading my team. Although when I see 51 goals in 33 matches it’s hard to justify selling 😂. Great write up though, his mid and prime are def the most clinical cards in the game for me, runner up is cr7 but he can’t beat r9s weakfoot.
  • RealReal
    103 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Also I always thought the same about playing him as a lone striker but I’ve found even more success as a left st in a 442, seems to always be in the right spot for an easy finish.
  • Swanz05
    6061 posts Big Money Move
    Nice summary. The 4kg weight difference was really noticeable for me & just for my playstyle I preferred the prime & won't buy the PIM for the same reason.
  • Lackosweat
    10962 posts Has That Special Something
    edited March 24
    I had no problem with his medium attacking work rates because on next gen everyone is on drop back and I use a lot of player locks and manual runs anyway.

The prime suited my play style much better due to him being more nimble and much quicker. R94 gave me the most trouble when coming up against him though.

Btw, I don’t think David or Romain are that good. :#
  • Yolo1234
    30 posts Last Pick at the Park
    edited March 24
    I’m currently using the Prime after having used the Mid for about 2 months. I personally find the Prime clearly better because or him being faster and slightly more agile.

Both versions being so expensive, they clearly aren’t value for coins but for me personally, he’s my football idol growing up, had a huge poster of him on my bedroom door as a kid and I’ve always wanted to have him in my club.

This is the first Fifa where I could afford him, so I would never replace him (unless it’s his PIM) for any other striker in this game.
  • john_d_efc
    3163 posts National Call-Up
    Superb review mate! 👏
  • Furrag85
    2495 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yolo1234 wrote: »
    I’m currently using the Prime after having used the Mid for about 2 months. I personally find the Prime clearly better because or him being faster and slightly more agile.

Both versions being so expensive, they clearly aren’t value for coins but for me personally, he’s my football idol growing up, had a huge poster of him on my bedroom door as a kid and I’ve always wanted to have him in my club.

This is the first Fifa where I could afford him, so I would never replace him (unless it’s his PIM) for any other striker in this game.

I bought R94 and packed R96 from WL rewards and agree with this. R96 is more clinical too.
  • Arsenalman
    3822 posts National Call-Up
    Nice review mate, I had r94 and mid pele in a draft yesterday and Pele was way better. Safe to say I won’t be buying the mid as he did nothing but hit the post twice
  • Team Sam
    3898 posts National Call-Up
    Excellent review mate.

I bought R94 last night, so this was lovely to read in the morning.

I slightly overpaid due to getting one where I'd be the 9th owner!

It's the little OCD things in life that matter.
  • Metalfly
    1748 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited March 24
    Really appreciate the comments and feedback :smile:

I agree that R96 feels more rapid and nimble than R94, although for the way I play I feel like defenders nowadays are so quick that not even R96 could pull away from them, so the strength and size of R94 somewhat offset the speed advantage for me.

However depending on the game, especially against someone with a high line I could definitely see R96 being much better.
  • Andyh60
    2605 posts Fans' Favourite
    Thread very much appreciated as yes I am needing 500k more to buy prime r9 which has been my dream (ever since his last sbc was available in 19). Ww all know the failures of sbc in 20 and of course no way could I ever buy him, even worse in a way on 21 yes pim sbc but err bit too late hence didn't do that. Now the fact I'm in a position to buy prime r9 is amazing but yes was wondering what he brings compared to r94 but the mention of more speed/agility etc and the fact i play 442 seems to suggest R96 is the one, worst case is I can sell and then try r94 but yes come this far cant not go for r96. Cheers again.
  • Chet
    854 posts Semi-Pro
    Good summary, but R96 > R94 for me, in anything but the smoothest gameplay R94 feels like a truck.

Facing Varane, Rudiger, Dias and Marquinhos every game, the extra nimbleness/agility is so important (even if it’s marginal).
  • Leo_D10S
    783 posts Semi-Pro
    edited March 24
    R96 no dribbler?? Stationary?? Hahah, what? The guy is crazy. Extremely fast, and feels very smooth, even when he's 6'0 and bulky body.. Ugh, again the overyhyping of work rates.. just put get in behind and it's fine, allthough I leave him on balanced. Best striker I've used. Just use finisher and not engine. Also no issues with stamina, never ever subbed him off.

https://ibb.co/LSX7TJr
  • Furrag85
    2495 posts Fans' Favourite
    I use basic on R96. You have to look at his work rates like this.

If he had high, with get in behind, he'd just be on the shoulder ready to run beyond the centre back and finish. Many many generic strikers have this capability. Daka, Vardy, Antonio, Balde, David etc.

His medium WITHOUT get in behind instructed means he sits way too deep, and the game passes him by as you get into advanced positions, especially on the flanks.

However, instructing him with get in behind means he finds a balance where he will drop off the centre backs to find space. This works two ways. He's either followed by those who use step-up, which means space is created behind to either trigger a run for R96 or for a midfielder on get forward. If the oppo don't have step-up, he receives the ball, turns, and then makes use of his acceleration, dribbling and skills to scare the sh*t out of the opposition and they usually end up doing something rash which creates space elsewhere. If you back off of him, he can finesse it in from 30 yards on either foot. That's the big difference between 96 and 94 for me. The former is way more lethal at that I found.
  • Orison
    72945 posts Icon
    Leo_D10S wrote: »
    R96 no dribbler?? Stationary?? Hahah, what? The guy is crazy. Extremely fast, and feels very smooth, even when he's 6'0 and bulky body.. Ugh, again the overyhyping of work rates.. just put get in behind and it's fine, allthough I leave him on balanced. Best striker I've used. Just use finisher and not engine. Also no issues with stamina, never ever subbed him off.

My condolences if he's the best striker you've used
  • Leo_D10S
    783 posts Semi-Pro
    Orison wrote: »

Probably someone like toty mbappe is better, but I will never have those coins 🌚
  • Orison
    72945 posts Icon
    Orison wrote: »

Probably someone like toty mbappe is better, but I will never have those coins 🌚

CR7>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • mypetfrog
    2878 posts National Call-Up
    Interesting read. Been thinking of an R9 card.

Would R94 be better than Prime Eusebio?
  • IxToMxI
    8204 posts League Winner
    R94 for me was better than R96, for the coins though, TOTY CR7 and FB are better
  • JT_cfc
    929 posts Professional
    Is r94 better than prime cruyff or prime eusebio?
  • Metalfly
    1748 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited March 24
    mypetfrog wrote: »

JT_cfc wrote: »

R94 is better than both Prime Eusebio and Cruyff as a striker imo, Strength is very important this year, strikers with low strength tend to get bullied, it's why WBY isn't nearly as OP as in previous years in my experience.

Cruyff though would make a better CAM, his dribbling and passing are better than his shooting imo.
  • mypetfrog
    2878 posts National Call-Up
    Metalfly wrote: »
    mypetfrog wrote: »

JT_cfc wrote: »

R94 is better than both Prime Eusebio and Cruyff as a striker imo, Strength is very important this year, strikers with low strength tend to get bullied, it's why WBY isn't nearly as OP as in previous years in my experience.

Cruyff though would make a better CAM, his dribbling and passing are better than his finishing imo.

Thanks.

I've been thoroughly enjoying Mid Cruyff since I got him yesterday, a real surprise as his stats don't suggest he'd be that good. Yes he is weak though, so I make sure I keep well away from the CB's but he's just so smooooth and yes a cracking CAM.

If you'd rate R94 even above Cruyff then I'll start saving....

Did try Eusebio and was disappointed, not the impact I expected from a 2.6Mill card - then again I'm sure it was ALL my fault!
  • AlexBear012
    3401 posts National Call-Up
    I'm not good at attacking and Prime R9 has more goals than games for me. Not even Prime Cruyff does (he's close tho)

Should tell you a lot about him
  • MakingmeMad
    511 posts An Exciting Prospect
    R94 has been incredible for me. I’ve used CR7 TOTY and FB, Eusebio and Mbappe HL. All bring different options to the game. But what impressed me the most about R94 is the shooting. His animation is unlike any other player in the way that the ball leaves his foot lightning fast. I find that where other players have their shot blocked his are not. The other aspect is the strength, clinical accuracy and swerve effect he puts on the shot. He can bang them in from anywhere on both feet. Yesterday for insurance TOTY Donnarumma got a glove on the ball on three occasions but it ended up in the net anyway. There is something very special about R9 in this game.
  • madlion
    2941 posts National Call-Up
    R96 is more jammy and quicker, both are clinical but R94 feels heavier and in bad gameplay suffers the most