Icons that perhaps should be Heroes instead

Metalfly
1751 posts Play-Off Hero
With the ever growing Icons list and so many of them becoming nothing more than fodders, I think EA should consider changing some of them to just FUT Heroes cards instead, cuts down on the bloat and give them an opportunity to add others.

I understand every Icon player would have their fans, and I think you can find an argument for all of these guys to considered an "icon of the game", but I think to me an icon is someone who's considered an all-time greats in their position, and some of these guys while being club legends and national heroes, probably shouldn't be considered an Icon alongside the likes of Pele and Maradona. It's just my personal opinion of course and love to hear others.

Here's the list I think should become Hero cards instead:

Luis Hernandez
Jari Litmanen
Hidetoshi Nakata
Marc Overmars
Robin van Persie
Deco
Christian Vieri
David Trezeguet
Fernando Torres
Michael Owen
Davor Suker
Hernan Crespo
Michael Ballack
Pep Guardiola

There's prob a few more that I could put in here which I don't remember, and to be clear, all of these are incredible players in their day, but I don't think we need 3 versions of their cards and they fit more with a Hero card than an Icon.

Just as a side note, I hope they can eventually add the following to the Icons list.

Beckenbauer
Platini
Meazza
Gerd Muller
Zico
Di Stefano
Rumminegge
Johan Neeskens
Romario
Paolo Rossi
Kevin Keegan

Comments

• Damo_Suzuki
    4012 posts National Call-Up
    edited February 1
    I would say Van Persie was the top striker in the league for a fair number of years. You could maybe argue the same for Crespo although Serie A had others too back then like Batistuta and R9 etc.

Torres' peak was really high but short lived and Owen was incredible but declined quickly due to injury so those 2 are debatable.

I would definitely agree with all the others but add Okocha there too! It really irritates me he has an icon card at all he was so average. Oh and Ian Wright also. I think your idea is good!
  • Bob_Bobson
    2937 posts National Call-Up
    edited February 1
    Henrik Larsson should be a hero card tbh. Gattuso as well.
  • ozcs_69
    4856 posts Big Money Move
    you are right, most of these names dont deserve icon status, maybe EA can switch them over and make the icon section a much eliter players that are the icon of the game, people such as R9 and R10 , zizo should not be on the same tier as Jari Litmanen , i dont even know where did this guy play before ...
  • Metalfly
    1751 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited February 1
    I would definitely agree with all the others but add Okocha there too! It really irritates me he has an icon card at all he was so average. Oh and Ian Wright also. I think your idea is good!

Yeah I think Ian Wright definitely should be just a Hero card, Okocha was a club legend for Bolton but also shouldn't be considered an icon.
    Bob_Bobson wrote: »

I think there's perhaps more of a case for Larsson to be an icon, but he certainly wouldn't look out of place in a Hero card, Gattuso shouldn't be an icon also.
  • pauly0
    186 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Metalfly wrote: »
    With the ever growing Icons list and so many of them becoming nothing more than fodders, I think EA should consider changing some of them to just FUT Heroes cards instead, cuts down on the bloat and give them an opportunity to add others.

I understand every Icon player would have their fans, and I think you can find an argument for all of these guys to considered an "icon of the game", but I think to me an icon is someone who's considered an all-time greats in their position, and some of these guys while being club legends and national heroes, probably shouldn't be considered an Icon alongside the likes of Pele and Maradona. It's just my personal opinion of course and love to hear others.

Luis Hernandez
    Jari Litmanen
    Hidetoshi Nakata
    Marc Overmars
    Robin van Persie
    Deco
    Christian Vieri
    David Trezeguet
    Fernando Torres
    Michael Owen
    Davor Suker
    Hernan Crespo
    Michael Ballack
    Pep Guardiola

There's prob a few more that I could put in here which I don't remember, and to be clear, all of these are incredible players in their day, but I don't think we need 3 versions of their cards and they fit more with a Hero card than an Icon.

Just as a side note, I hope they can eventually add the following to the Icons list.

Beckenbauer
    Platini
    Meazza
    Gerd Muller
    Zico
    Di Stefano
    Rumminegge
    Johan Neeskens
    Romario
    Paolo Rossi
    Kevin Keegan

You get Torres off that list
  • Shake_n_Bake
    241 posts Sunday League Hero

Yeah I think Ian Wright definitely should be just a Hero card, Okocha was a club legend for Bolton but also shouldn't be considered an icon.
    Bob_Bobson wrote: »

I think there's perhaps more of a case for Larsson to be an icon, but he certainly wouldn't look out of place in a Hero card, Gattuso shouldn't be an icon also.

The blasphemy to say that! He is one of the greatest CDM’s of all time. You need to go watch how dominant he was for Milan and the national team. You only say that because he card is bang average at best. Which 80% of all other icons are at this game.
  • Shake_n_Bake
    241 posts Sunday League Hero
    OP, I like your idea. There is a lot of wasted space at icons with only more to come over the years very soon like Buffon, Iniesta, Fabregas and Aguero. Hero cards are a nice addition to the game and adds a nice dynamic touch to squad building. Would like to see more in the next fut. (Btw if you didn’t know, all hero’s have chem with each other regardless of leagues, I’m surprised I don’t see more hero teams) Anyways, RVP, Vieri and Torres deserve to be icons. The rest of your list is right on.
  • Moose Factory
    6207 posts Big Money Move
    pauly0 wrote: »

Luis Hernandez
    Jari Litmanen
    Hidetoshi Nakata
    Marc Overmars
    Robin van Persie
    Deco
    Christian Vieri
    David Trezeguet
    Fernando Torres
    Michael Owen
    Davor Suker
    Hernan Crespo
    Michael Ballack
    Pep Guardiola

Beckenbauer
    Platini
    Meazza
    Gerd Muller
    Zico
    Di Stefano
    Rumminegge
    Johan Neeskens
    Romario
    Paolo Rossi
    Kevin Keegan

You get Torres off that list

Exactly! Edit your post OP
  • JohnShelby
    1452 posts Play-Off Hero
    It will never happen..
    reason why ea need this unusable icons in Game is so they give one of this to you when you do gamble icon SBC

P.s Torres shouldnt be on this list
  • zago33
    774 posts Semi-Pro
    They messed it up with baby and mid versions. Icons should be only prime.
    Some of them are 70k value thats more disrespectful than iconic
  • M00N
    195 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    They should have Dixie Dean in the icons.
  • Thefranchise92
    6636 posts Big Money Move
    They’re are all icons I think OP is confusing icons with legends.
  • Edge01
    432 posts Sunday League Hero
    They’re are all icons I think OP is confusing icons with legends.

Totally agree. I personally think they should rebrand them and not have 3 variations of the same player. Maybe have hero cards as the entry tier, then icons, and finally legend cards (which should be a tiny pool of players), with only one version of the player.
  • balErik
    1385 posts Professional
    Most of the icons are useless. Delete the base and mids and almost any card with less pace than 80 :)
  • Lfc23
    3472 posts National Call-Up
    They just need to scrap base and mid and just do prime and prime moments

Some of the cards they have give icons are a embarrassment to some of them it’s shocking
  • Van Persie a hero 😂😂😂😂😂
  • Alford5
    729 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited February 1
    Agree on torres should be nowhere near, icons should be the very best ever surely? Torres wouldn’t even hit top 30 strikers of all time never mind players. EAs description of them, is torres one of the best ever? Absolutely nowhere near.

0-D4-B0-E3-C-404-C-41-B3-A671-96721-A6931-C5.jpg
  • I SiR MartY I
    14147 posts Has That Special Something
    edited February 1
    I agree with Owen being a hero card, after his Liverpool moved, he dropped off a cliff, should have at least 3 good club periods to justify a legend card + moments, Owen doesnt.

Ballack should remain an icon

I'd also add

Larsson
    Okocha
    Shearer
    Riquelme
  • rmoxon
    3913 posts National Call-Up
    The definition of “Icon” is: a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol or as worthy of veneration.

To me that just means any footballer who was worthy of great respect, which means that all the heroes should be icons, and hero cards shouldn’t even be a thing.
  • Jackwc
    2305 posts Fans' Favourite
    I agree with Owen being a hero card, after his Liverpool moved, he dropped off a cliff, should have at least 3 good club periods to justify a legend card + moments, Owen doesnt.

Ballack should remain an icon

I'd also add

Larsson
    Okocha
    Shearer
    Riquelme

Shearer not an icon?!?!?!?!!
    You can’t be for real man 😳
  • Alford5
    rmoxon wrote: »
    The definition of “Icon” is: a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol or as worthy of veneration.

To me that just means any footballer who was worthy of great respect, which means that all the heroes should be icons, and hero cards shouldn’t even be a thing.
    Eas definition is the best to ever play the game, meaning alot of the icons shouldn’t be icons.
  • pes1972
    1521 posts Play-Off Hero
    Gerrard definately should be a Hero-card
  • Jackwc
    pes1972 wrote: »

Get outta here 🤡
  • rmoxon
    3913 posts National Call-Up
    edited February 1
    Alford5 wrote: »

Eas definition is the best to ever play the game, meaning alot of the icons shouldn’t be icons.

Well it depends how big your bracket for best ever players is.

If you’re talking top 100 then yeah, but if you’re talking top 1000 then they should all be icons.
  • pes1972
    1521 posts Play-Off Hero
    Jackwc wrote: »

Get outta here 🤡

There are so many better midfielders through the years, at Liverpool he was a hero but among other midfielders just average, like many of the other english midfielders that has become icons in this game
  • Jackwc

Get outta here 🤡

There are so many better midfielders through the years, at Liverpool he was a hero but among other midfielders just average, like many of the other english midfielders that has become icons in this game

Don’t talk such nonsense. Are you from England and have watched any English football? He could of walked into most teams in the world but was loyal to Liverpool. I’m a United fan and can appreciate how good he was! I can’t believe what I’m reading from you 😳😳😳
  • Alford5

Well it depends how big your bracket for best ever players is.

If you’re talking top 100 then yeah, but if you’re talking top 1000 then they should all be icons.

How many icons is there in game? Can’t be many more than 100, I’d keep it to 100 personally. Got actual goaT strikers like batistuta etc missing out in place of torres etc, even players like George weah, balon dor winner nowhere to be seen
  • Alford5

Get outta here 🤡

Don’t talk such nonsense. Are you from England and have watched any English football? He could of walked into most teams in the world but was loyal to Liverpool. I’m a United fan and can appreciate how good he was! I can’t believe what I’m reading from you 😳😳😳

Wasn’t that loyal when he was as forcing though a move to Chelsea 😂
  • Jackwc

Get outta here 🤡

Wasn’t that loyal when he was as forcing though a move to Chelsea 😂

Well that’s just the scouser in him being a little rat 😉🤣