UK Fellas

Fifapayne
6005 posts Big Money Move
Was watching this mattHd gamer.
Talked about getting drivers license just last year… he’s 29

What’s the scoop? You guys don’t drive or what?

Thanks in adv

Comments

• Furrag85
    2494 posts Fans' Favourite
    Depends where you live tbh.

I'm in SW London. Public transport is very good, and it's quicker, cheaper and more convenient to cycle most places. It's the way forward, but people are obsessed with driving unfortunately.

Plus, driving is expensive. Costs thousands for lessons to pass, excise duty based on emissions, MOT and your car.
  • Diddymow
    5802 posts Big Money Move
    No pollution machine for me thanks.
  • Chill
    479 posts Sunday League Hero
    Fifapayne wrote: »

Thanks in adv

London and some major cities in the country have great transport links, parking is a nightmare and you have to pay an extra tax (congestion charge) so maybe less drive there. The majority of the country our transport links are a joke so it's a necessity to drive, especially if semi rural where buses can be once an hour if you're lucky
  • i2-TempZ-2i
    7958 posts League Winner
    Alot of the streamers/big youtubers all live in London, theres almost no point owning a car whilst living in London tbh, it'll cost you alot more than just public transport + biking around plus insane traffic so a simple 15min journey could end up taking you 30-40mins
  • Neil_14
    2950 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 23
    Passed at 17 years of age on my first attempt, took the test as soon as I could legally take it. Always been interested in driving and most of my mates and cousins of similar age all learned to drive and passed before they turned 20.

I'm not from London though...
  • Team Sam
    3760 posts National Call-Up

Thanks in adv

I didn't pass until my early 30s (hadn't tried before!).

I grew up and still live in zone 2 (2nd most central circle of London).

All my mates that grew up near me never learnt to drive as the bus was just easier/cheaper.

All my mates that lived zone 3 or out learned at 17!
  • SeñorCatflap
    1845 posts Play-Off Hero
    I only started lessons and passed my test when I was 26.
  • Dazs23
    614 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I’ve driven since young but if I lived in London I wouldn’t have bothered if I didn’t need to leave the city. It’s a nightmare to drive around and easier using the tube system to get around
  • Arron xox
    4104 posts National Call-Up
    I was same age when I got mine. You don't understand the importance of driving till you actually start
  • john_d_efc
    2881 posts National Call-Up
    I only passed mine at 24, we've got really good public transport in the UK, especially in Liverpool
  • munchie63
    3946 posts National Call-Up

Thanks in adv

More likely he still lives at home, gets lifts off his mum and spends so much time telling kids which skills to use that he didn't have time for lessons.
  • Diddymow
    5802 posts Big Money Move
    munchie63 wrote: »
    Diddymow wrote: »
    No pollution machine for me thanks.

Turn your fridge, freezer and boiler off then champ.
    HTH

Those are all essentials, a car is not.
  • Jdizzle
    2993 posts National Call-Up
    Got mine at 17, as people have said, not worth it if you're in London.
  • i2-TempZ-2i
    7958 posts League Winner
    munchie63 wrote: »

Thanks in adv

More likely he still lives at home, gets lifts off his mum and spends so much time telling kids which skills to use that he didn't have time for lessons.

This guys is a prime example of a jealous 15 year old that doesn't really know how the world works :sweat_smile:
  • Cheetah Thumbs
    5162 posts Big Money Move
    I drive for a living, plus I just love to drive. Life wouldn't be the same without it.
  • Robertjames86
    2050 posts Fans' Favourite
    All Americans get their licence as soon as???
    London and South of England gets all the money for good transport and infrastructure. Not even a train and crappy bus service where I live.
  • SeñorCatflap
    1845 posts Play-Off Hero
    London and South of England gets all the money for good transport and infrastructure. Not even a train and crappy bus service where I live.

All the yanks mostly drive automatics if you put a manual gearbox in front of them they'll look at you like you've just spat at their kid
  • mook76
    201 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Cycling for me, no car. Can get to and from work quicker.
  • gavin2903
    667 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Waited til my 30s and only did it because moved to middle of nowhere often lived near train stations and for number of years I had jobs where I lived in the workplace just never needed to drive and never wanted to, funny now tho would dare be without a car now lol
  • Moxon
    382 posts Sunday League Hero
    I’m from the Uk, nearly 40, and don’t drive.

However I do have a fork lift truck license if that counts?
  • Moxon
    382 posts Sunday League Hero
    Also.., Matt HD gamer is only 29?

He looks about 50.
  • Safckje
    1224 posts Professional
    I think I didn’t pass until I was 28. I passed first time but never needed to drive until then.
  • Robertjames86
    2050 posts Fans' Favourite

All the yanks mostly drive automatics if you put a manual gearbox in front of them they'll look at you like you've just spat at their kid

You not need a license for automatic in America??
  • A_Snipe
    3781 posts National Call-Up
    Basically uk is set up for life without a car where Canada and America are not. If I wanted to walk to work it’d take like 2 hours. Or I can drive 20 mins. So I had to get a license asap to live in my town. Public transport is like every hour and only a few locations allow you onto the bus which would be 15 min walk and hope you don’t miss the bus
  • Sodan70
    1330 posts Professional
    I love my bicycle but I live in the city - guess it would be very different if I lived in rural USA...or even Los Angeles where a car is essential.
  • oldboiler
    5013 posts Big Money Move
    Driving for about 20 years. Outside of central London I’m not sure how anyone gets on without a car
  • YidArmy
    2423 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yeh as others have said, if you live and work in or around London, alot of adults don't ever have the need to drive a car (especially if they don't have children they need to drive places).

The underground and overground trains can get you anywhere you want much faster than a car. There's also the congestion charge you have to pay to drive a car in London, in a additon to there being few places to even park your car as alot of people in London won't even have a driveway to park one on.
  • Fifapayne

We can drive with a parent in the car at 15.. 16 we can take a test and drive by ourselves
  • Fifapayne

It’s not the 1950s

No need to learn how to drive a stick when nearly 95 percent of cars are auto