Prime Xavi review

Furrag85
2495 posts Fans' Favourite
He is deserving of his own thread. Absolutely unreal.

Passing has always been broken and frustrating this FIFA, so I was hesitant to purchase him, but he was decent in draft and his reviews on Futbin were glowing.

Having used RB Verratti and Barella, I knew I'd like him but I didnt expect him to be such an influence. Like Barella with the high/high, he is everywhere, dictating play. He isnt as good as Verratti as nipping in and stealing the ball as he doesn't have the strength/aggression, but he really intercepts a lot cleanly. He is DEFINITELY fast enough. He flies across the ground which helps with intercepting. With shadow, 92 accel, 92 pace, 98 interceptions, so hardly surprising.

His finishing in the box isnt great, but long shots are decent. People whack hunter on him, but he's probably better off having gladiator as that combines both shadow and hunters stats and drops the pace. Anyone who has used Barella and Verratti know that they're quick enough.

His dribbling is as expected. Turns on a sixpence. This helps both getting out of trouble and creating passing opportunities.

His passing genuinely has a wow factor. It shouldn't be surprising, but because previously I was let down by De Bruyne it has. Even when under pressure and you've got little options on, perhaps a single striker sandwiched between two centre backs, a through ball finds your striker. It really is eye of the needle stuff.

He plays in a diamond next to base Zidane, in front of Verratti and behind and mid Pele and is the most influential in terms of dictating play. Highly recommended.

Comments

• Wonderkiid
    1635 posts Play-Off Hero
    Nice review. I have used his mid for quite a while and was looking at his prime card. Passing is definitely underrated, most just look at pace which is understandable. But having cm's and cam's with insane passing and vision really makes a huge difference
  • Craigy21
    1087 posts Professional
    Great review - I’ve been looking at him myself. I think if I can afford any of the TOTY’s - I might go for his prime card as a back up option, looks really good.
  • Foxsake
    3875 posts National Call-Up
    Way past the curve now
  • xCDHx
    1406 posts Professional
    Wouldn’t WW Modric be a similar, better and cheaper player?
  • Damo_Suzuki
    4012 posts National Call-Up
    I got him too. I was hesitant to spend 800k on a CM as I don't have crazy coins.

He's really improved my team. I play 41212(2) and having him and HL Barella as CM's being able to turn on the spot really helps with ball retention. Also as you say his passing is noticeably great!
  • Furrag85
    xCDHx wrote: »
    I thought so too. Reading extensively the reviews on Futbin that posed the same question, it was unanimous that Xavi's work rates made him far more influential and involved in both defending and attacking.
  • David12344
    21069 posts Club Captain
    Foxsake wrote: »
    Way past the curve now

Doubtful
  • Hades
    780 posts Semi-Pro
    Way past the curve now

Prime Xavi is insane, and absolutely not 'past' the curve. If anything, he's still in front of the curve. Not many players are near his quality in the game.
  • SSL14
    1115 posts Professional
    Way past the curve now

A player with like 98 passing and insane balance/agility is past the curve?!!! Must be April fools 😆

I'm tempted to get the prime myself.
  • Foxsake
    SSL14 wrote: »
    Way past the curve now

A player with like 98 passing and insane balance/agility is past the curve?!!! Must be April fools 😆

He ain’t meta that’s the problem
  • Damo_Suzuki
    4012 posts National Call-Up
    Way past the curve now

He's totally Meta for a CM in some formations.
  • Jordonp
    3185 posts National Call-Up

Modric is clear imo.

I’ve used them both extensively.

Modric passing is better too - comment will probably trigger some but use both and tell me I’m wrong

Xavis work rates aren’t typical of a normal high/high CM. He will track back from an attack but if you’re pinned in your own box he won’t get involved like say a Barella would.

In game his work rates are very similar to Modric.

What Xavi does have his some fantastic dribbling and unique animations. I wish I could have them both but as far as effectiveness goes, Modric is clear for me. I’ve always adored both players - my heart of heart prefers Xavi to be in my team but there’s just no point given what Modric offers in terms of:

Pace
    Passing
    Dribbling
    Intelligence

• Redlad
    1101 posts Professional
    Way past the curve now

All of my players appear to be right now…
  • Wonderkiid
    1635 posts Play-Off Hero

The difference is only like 150/200k on Xbox. I'd rather have Xavi
  • Shake_n_Bake
    241 posts Sunday League Hero
    Great review. I’d love to try him but I’m coin poor right now. Was looking at baby Xavi though because I like the work rates. Anybody try him?
  • Scottybtech
    1610 posts Play-Off Hero
    Way past the curve now

Haha what am I reading, he’s one of the best cms in the game
  • Foxsake
    Way past the curve now

Lorrente good card would play better
  • AlexBear012
    3401 posts National Call-Up
    i had Prime Xavi last year. unreal player

i want him again but he's so expensive
  • Scottybtech
    1610 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited January 20
    Way past the curve now

Lorrente good card would play better

Nah Xavi all day bro
  • Joeznnn
    213 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Way past the curve now

Unless you’re 2000+ SR and challenging for rank 1 every weekend, “meta” is load of nonsense.

Use a squad full of meta donkeys for a week and then use a squad full of competitive players that you actually enjoy, guarantee your finish doesn’t materially change.
  • Joeznnn
    213 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Didn’t realise how cheap he is.

Unless I hit TOTY Messi tomorrow I might give him a go.
  • Qon
    1707 posts Fans' Favourite
    You gave me the advise to use him and I have to say he has been really good. I have Zidane RCM and Xavi LCM and where Zidane really pushes forward and scores a lot, Xavi is the player that's always available for a ball back and then send a player through on goal. Really liking him so far
  • Furrag85
    I've seen him go as low as 730k on bids on Xbox yesterday. Last weekend, 850k.

14 games today, 4 goals and 16 assists. He's a monster. I'm 100% forcing playing through him, but isn't that the whole point of a playmaker?

I found 41212 a bit of a struggle with him and everything being congested, so returned to 4231 today with him playing CDM alongside Zizou. It allowed him more space and time on the ball with more options to take advantage of his passing and vision, even against deep lines.

xavi.gif
  • Wonderkiid
    1635 posts Play-Off Hero
    Furrag85 wrote: »
    I've seen him go as low as 730k on bids on Xbox yesterday. Last weekend, 850k.

14 games today, 4 goals and 16 assists. He's a monster. I'm 100% forcing playing through him, but isn't that the whole point of a playmaker?

I found 41212 a bit of a struggle with him and everything being congested, so returned to 4231 today with him playing CDM alongside Zizou. It allowed him more space and time on the ball with more options to take advantage of his passing and vision, even against deep lines.

xavi.gif

You should try 41212 with fullbacks on full attack. If you are good defensively in 1-1's it can be such a blast to play. Width trough the fullbacks and two elite cm's feeding throughballs is a joy.