Ridiculous power creep. Already so many random promo/SBC players that are better than prime icons

princeapalia
1649 posts Play-Off Hero
The power creep is always insane, but this year it's just ridiculous.

Look at the recent Sow SBC for example. A <100k card that is better than lots of the prime icons midfielders.

Or Pau Torres, a 20k card than looks as good as prime icons CBs.

EA have got icons so, so wrong. Most of them were underwhelming at the best of times yeara ago, now it's just a joke how bad value they are compared random super-juiced promo players in November/December...

Comments

• Biged808
    517 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Yer sow is getting done,he just looks to gd not
  • Wonderkiid
    1635 posts Play-Off Hero
    Its pretty boring nowadays. Only 5% of the icons are usable and those 5% are crazy expensive. The rest is basically fodder past the first month

Hard to reverse this though as people are used to the stacked promo cards every week. Both TOTW and Icons/legends need a breathe of fresh air as they are outdated
  • Cbn
    2240 posts Fans' Favourite
    Weve had ridicolous amount of promos already and usually 2 teams! Its like no one is asking them yet they keep just pushing them into our faces. Same time the gameplay have been more or less tragic especially on New gen
  • Cbn
    2240 posts Fans' Favourite
    So made up promos like yhis Versus bs. Every week
  • radhoyl
    3937 posts National Call-Up
    Biged808 wrote: »

If you do not have a Bundesliga team, have you looked at Taarabt?
  • I SiR MartY I
    14788 posts Has That Special Something
    3526e4217f2c0f38e98b3c6dfa4389d4.png

Sure, big Pat is easier to link but is he really worth 10x more?

I'd rather it this way with random players being better than icons and a fraction of the cost

Unless EA juice up icons more or put better icons out from day 1, its always going to be this way
  • RadioShaq
    19954 posts Moderator
    Icons are overpriced. Couple problems though people should sell them for less. Ea can also improve the packweights.

If icons are cheap people will also be upset though as you can see all the complaints when players and the market is cheap.

So maybe it’s good to have some cheap players and icons that are expensive so it gives both sides something to shoot for.
  • Biged808
    517 posts An Exciting Prospect
    radhoyl wrote: »
    Biged808 wrote: »

If you do not have a Bundesliga team, have you looked at Taarabt?

Yer he looks quality but the German league will always be easier to have a link
  • xCDHx
    1438 posts Play-Off Hero
    Sometimes you do get random players that get boosted way too much (e.g.Sow) and turns them into basically TOTS players…brb just doing his SBC
  • People complaining about the same special cards every year, but then they want icons to be good every year.

Lol.
  • PHNTMx
    342 posts Sunday League Hero
    BENAF wrote: »

I'd rather it this way with random players being better than icons and a fraction of the cost

Unless EA juice up icons more or put better icons out from day 1, its always going to be this way

Don't get fooled by stats , SOW could have 99 defending and physical and that base vieira will still player better in game , some of the icons just have that different traits that makes them insane no matter what , I stoped caring too much about stats ever since I have used 85 blanc , he look so bad if u look at the stats but I can gurrrante you that he is much much better than the 99 percent of CDMs in the game.

A lot of it can be down to body type.
  • BENAF wrote: »

Don't get fooled by stats , SOW could have 99 defending and physical and that base vieira will still player better in game , some of the icons just have that different traits that makes them insane no matter what , I stoped caring too much about stats ever since I have used 85 blanc , he look so bad if u look at the stats but I can gurrrante you that he is much much better than the 99 percent of CDMs in the game.

1. No.
    2. Baby Vieira ain't even top 10 CM/CDMs on this game.
    3. Baby Blanc actually has decent stats for the start of the game, then becomes outdated about 2-3 months in. By now he's done for.
  • FlyingOkapis
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ran into this exact problem this year, had a few icons - 90 Stoichov, 90 Figo, 92 Puskas, 87 Beckham and 89 Casillas, ok there not exactly top bracket icons barring Puskas but they all have card similar for at least half the price, sometimes a lot lower.

When I had my icons they worked well but literally drained all my coins and felt like an unnecessary luxury.
  • BENAF
    76 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Orison wrote: »

1. No.
    3. Baby Blanc actually has decent stats for the start of the game, then becomes outdated about 2-3 months in. By now he's done for.

that's the most deluded comment I have read. Name me 10 CDMs better than base Vieira , not better stats actually better in game ? Baby Blanc is outdated according to you so I wonder why people are paying 700k for an outdated CDM . you might wanna consider playing the game before writing garbage comments.
  • SeñorCatflap
    1845 posts Play-Off Hero

1. No.

that's the most deluded comment I have read. Name me 10 CDMs better than base Vieira , not better stats actually better in game ? Baby Blanc is outdated according to you so I wonder why people are paying 700k for an outdated CDM . you might wanna consider playing the game before writing garbage comments.

Orison always has a stacked team. He knows his stuff.
  • Seeleyjs17
    2051 posts Fans' Favourite

1. No.

1. Sow
    2. Rb verrati
    3. FB draxler
    4. Ss renato
    5. Kante
    6. Rttgs De jong
    7. Gullet

I have seven just off the top of my head that was better. Base viera was dog in games
  • Dead_Dave
    1918 posts Play-Off Hero

1. No.

I bought baby blanc a month or so ago, potm fofana is a better player, based on my experience in div 1, SOW is better than POTM Fofana, not miles better but is an improvement, why do people still pay 700k for Blanc ? links or mugs.
  • Swanz05
    6065 posts Big Money Move
    edited December 2021

1. No.

Name me 10 CDMs better than base Vieira

He said CM/CDMs. There are loads better.

1. No.

Only reason why the prices are so high for cards such as Blanc etc is not because of their actual value in game but more because icon cards are rarer to pack, there’s always a lot more promo cards being packed and put on the market where as icons aren’t.

Also it’s the whole thing of oh I it’s an icon” that inflates the price.

There should only be Moments icon cards and from the start of FIFA.

1. No.

Swanz05 wrote: »

1. No.

It's one position for me. Even at CDM you don't want a pure destroyer, he should still be able to pass and have a WF.

Sow, Tonali, Vidal, SMS, Ruud, Pogba, KdB, Renato, Fred, Goretzka and the list goes on.

For the way Fifa 22 is played baby Vieira might actually not even make the top 30 :joy:

Also as to why people are paying 700k for Blanc it's really just because he's an icon and provides the links. Tonali is literally better in every way possible and costs 30k. That would be Blanc's price if he wasn't an icon, therefore super rare to pack (and now out of packs) and with icon links.
  • Swanz05
    6065 posts Big Money Move

1. No.

Swanz05 wrote: »

1. No.

It's one position for me. Even at CDM you don't want a pure destroyer, he should still be able to pass and have a WF.

Sow, Tonali, Vidal, SMS, Ruud, Pogba, KdB, Renato, Fred, Goretzka and the list goes on.

For the way Fifa 22 is played baby Vieira might actually not even make the top 30 :joy:

Also as to why people are paying 700k for Blanc it's really just because he's an icon and provides the links. Tonali is literally better in every way possible and costs 30k. That would be Blanc's price if he wasn't an icon, therefore super rare to pack (and now out of packs) and with icon links.

There's probably something to be said for Blanc/Vieira being 6' 4" but even mid Vieira was an expensive disappointment for me this year. Maybe top 10 but only just & I've been through most of them. As you say, passing & wf practically rules the likes of him & Kante out this year, although I'll force myself to adapt to the wf if we get a TOTY Kante.
  • SuperJames9005
    2670 posts Fans' Favourite
    90% Icons are not usable. Even the remaining 10% will become obsolete soon before TOTS.

By saying unusable I mean you want to actually compete.

The only reason they are expensive is because they are extremely rare to pack. There's no icon sauce in the last 2-3 FIFA titles. There used to be tho.
  • Simm0
    1294 posts Professional
    Icons do seem to have that special feeling though that you don’t get with non-icons.

I do agree though that they’re nowhere near as needed as they used to be, I think reactions and composure are a big part of it, EA aren’t scared to give regular cards massive boosts in those areas anymore.
  • TDOF
    8998 posts League Winner
    Icons aren’t good enough from the start of the game…. Only like 10 are always considered good.

Their stats are just not good enough.
  • Blytz
    228 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    You can play a full icon team that will be worse than a 50-100k starter team. Too many are blinded by them being "icons" but as others have said, only a very small proportion of icons are decent and they are waaay overpriced.
  • elStar123
    143 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I mostly agree but I love my baby vieira. Always there where he has to be. And do you know this special feeling when there is your icon doing his job and you think it's just because it's your ❤️❤️❤️❤️ vieira or whoever? Haha it's all in our head :D
  • Blytz wrote: »
    You can play a full icon team that will be worse than a 50-100k starter team. Too many are blinded by them being "icons" but as others have said, only a very small proportion of icons are decent and they are waaay overpriced.

sometimes is just fun to play with players you grew up with, is ok if its not meta