• Okocha10
    1015 posts Professional
    All to do with politics the Ballon D’or they need to remove that award now
  • Shaanxz
    23746 posts Club Captain
    Lewandowski didn’t get robbed as bad as Suarez did in 2016
  • Radraptor
    1874 posts Fans' Favourite
    Award is a joke and has been for some years now. There is no rational explanation for Lewa not winning it and anyone who wants to say it’s because of the Copa America is crazy
  • Award is a joke because Ronaldo didn’t win it.

🐐 no more doubting him please!!
  • Springveldt
    6907 posts Big Money Move
    He was always going to win after Argentina won the Copa. They gave Modric one for his World Cup performances, Ronaldo got one when Portugal won the Euro's etc.

This is the first time Messi has won it and I've thought "Nah, not this year". There have been at least 2 years where he hasn't won it and he should have.
  • SYMMO19
    1735 posts Play-Off Hero
    He was always going to win after Argentina won the Copa. They gave Modric one for his World Cup performances, Ronaldo got one when Portugal won the Euro's etc.

This is the first time Messi has won it and I've thought "Nah, not this year". There have been at least 2 years where he hasn't won it and he should have.

Couldn't have put it better myself
  • Farley
    107 posts Has Potential To Be Special

Surely by this thought process Jorginho should have won then?
  • CeeQue
    14770 posts Has That Special Something
    Farley wrote: »

Messi > Jorginho A1Bny.png
  • Diddymow
    5802 posts Big Money Move
    Dinksy wrote: »
    Jorginho robbed :trollface:

Imagine if he won it just after that f up at the weekend.
  • Zefi
    975 posts Professional
    Diddymow wrote: »
    Dinksy wrote: »
    Jorginho robbed :trollface:

Imagine if he won it just after that f up at the weekend.

When he was talking
    I thought he was going to say I played better then yesterday lol
  • Eppzz
    81 posts Park Captain
    The award is a joke. lewa or kante should have got it
  • 1690_Ulster_FC
    4188 posts National Call-Up
    Messi had 58 goals and assists over 56 matches, plus won the Copa America.

It's hardly like he stole it from Lewandoski.
  • Shemson
    504 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I’m just glad the whole thing is over, the amount of crap I see about it on football pages from grown men crying about their favourite footballer is genuinely pathetic.
    I don’t understand these people who are so obsessed with a person rather than a team, proper weird imo.

Both players had exceptional seasons, top scorers in their leagues, it really depends on what trophy you value more, Bundesliga or Copa imo and it looks like more people like the Copa.
  • scalaneopt
    1198 posts Professional
    Messi is used to get undeserved awards. It happed before. Lewa should have won it! Messi is one of the best ever but not this year!
  • Springveldt
    6907 posts Big Money Move
    Farley wrote: »

Not really, it did manage to get him 3rd though. Not bad for someone that can only pass the ball sideways or backwards.
  • I SiR MartY I
    13537 posts Has That Special Something
    Whole award is just a popularity contest, no point taking it seriously.

Kjaer gets in the top 20 because he saved Eriksen's life with CPR

Jorginho gets in ahead of Salah and other better performing players because he won the Euro's and CL.... he's not even Chelsea's best midfielder

Ignore the awards for your own sanity.
  • Maximus AK47
    2986 posts National Call-Up
    Zefi wrote: »
    Can’t believe he won it over Lew

Lew got robbed of last 2

Dude. It is not that simple and straight forward as you think .

BALLON D’OR doesnt have clear criteria of selecting the best Player. It is a collective voting system and relatively subjective and dependent on those voters.

The most important criteria for BALLON D’OR has been (not written / but typically explained) > if the Candidate won any major Trophy / Competitions along with exceptional Statistics (goals/assists) during the year.

So the Facts are simple why its Messi and not Lewa or Jorginho:

1) Messi won Copa America (which is more prestigious than Europe Cup, but less than World's Cup) + had outstanding stats
    2) Jorginho won Europe Cup and Champions League but didnt have outstanding stats (goals/assists)
    3) Lewa had great year with over 60 goals (which is crazy good) , but didnt won ANY big trophies last year .

I know and hear you , that it all sounds UNFAIR to Lewa... But that's the way BALLON D’OR system is working until now.

Here is an article at FourFourTwo > https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/why-did-lionel-messi-win-the-ballon-dor-the-psg-stars-2021-analysed

PS> However Lewa should have got his BALLON D’OR last year . CLEARLY! But was robbed by the bureaucrats.
  • djnition
    1561 posts Play-Off Hero
    it is an absolute joke messi did nothing at barcelona they won a tin pot international competition that is literally the equivelent of nations league lol and he gets balon d'or for that i remember when balon d'or was for excellence
  • Krik
    380 posts Sunday League Hero
    Bacon D'or
  • llcg04
    896 posts Semi-Pro
    It's alright, Bundesliga is not a good leauge it is easy to score there for lewa playing in the best team. Messi was great in a better leauge, won an international title as one of the best players on the team. Both didn't play well or came far in champions leauge knockout games. Head to head race, messi won because of Copa.
  • d-Leon307-b
    1490 posts Play-Off Hero
    Copa america is more prestigious than Europe cup
    Now I’ve heard it all :D
  • llcg04
    896 posts Semi-Pro
    Copa america is more prestigious than Europe cup
    Now I’ve heard it all :D

What is Europe cup?
  • 1690_Ulster_FC
    4188 posts National Call-Up
    Whole award is just a popularity contest, no point taking it seriously.

Kjaer gets in the top 20 because he saved Eriksen's life with CPR

Jorginho gets in ahead of Salah and other better performing players because he won the Euro's and CL.... he's not even Chelsea's best midfielder

Ignore the awards for your own sanity.

To be fair Kjaer has been absolutely outstanding from he signed for Milan. Easily one of the best CB's in Europe at the minute.