4-2-4 formation good?

ArsleWenger
627 posts An Exciting Prospect
Hello guys and gals! Ive always (since fifa 17 maybe) played 4-1-2-1-2 (2), its my go-to formation and I enjoy it. But there is a problem (not major), my cm’s are often playing as wingers, even tho I put everything I have on the custom tactics (width and stay central, don’t come up etc). I rely much on my defence and fast play forward (not mmuch posession), and I am an Elite division and Rank 1 WL player. But I’m now considering buying 92 Puskas, but not willing to sacrifice any of my attackers. Sooo I’m wondering if 4-2-4 is good or trash? Ive never played with it, hence why I’m asking. Ofc I could try it, but I want to hear your opinions first. I’m not into any meta formations, so thats no option for me.

Comments

• ManUnitedBarnes
    236 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    4-2-4 is an extremely attacking formation and is only really suited, if you play super fast with long passes. Direct play and fast build up. Its basicly 4-4-2 but where your wingers are super far up, and never helps in defense.
  • DannySTFC
    8339 posts League Winner
    edited November 2021
    I wouldn’t use it as my main formation. The front four stay really high up so there’s a big gap between your centre mids and the attack, you can’t really build attacks unless you want to ping one direct pass.

One thing I do find it effective for is when you need a late goal. 424 with constant pressure and 100 depth. Because your front four are pushed up so far forwards your opponent can’t pass around the backline like people do in the last 10-15 minutes in champs games. Your attacking four will cover their defensive four so they don’t have the option of passing around. It will force your opponent to try and break the press and attack, if they do break the press you’re in trouble but at least it stops people just holding possession across the backline for a win.

It basically creates a situation where you’re either going to equalise or their going to score and go further ahead. Although saying that, some people will break your line then just take it to the corner because this is Fifa.
  • ArsleWenger
    4-2-4 is an extremely attacking formation and is only really suited, if you play super fast with long passes. Direct play and fast build up. Its basicly 4-4-2 but where your wingers are super far up, and never helps in defense.

Hmmm thank you. I do play quite direct tho, will think about it thank you!
  • ArsleWenger
    DannySTFC wrote: »
    I wouldn’t use it as my main formation. The front four stay really high up so there’s a big gap between your centre mids and the attack, you can’t really build attacks unless you want to ping one direct pass.

One thing I do find it effective for is when you need a late goal. 424 with constant pressure and 100 depth. Because your front four are pushed up so far forwards your opponent can’t pass around the backline like people do in the last 10-15 minutes in champs games. Your attacking four will cover their defensive four so they don’t have the option of passing around. It will force your opponent to try and break the press and attack, if they do break the press you’re in trouble but at least it stops people just holding possession across the backline for a win.

It basically creates a situation where you’re either going to equalise or their going to score and go further ahead. Although saying that, some people will break your line then just take it to the corner because this is Fifa.

Smart! I always rage when that happens, I put everything on at that time, spamming team press etc but my players doesn’t really care about that it seems😂 so i will try it, thank you. Good information my friend!
    Well it looks like a swingy formation, I might just try it for a few games. Playing as we call it in Sweden (maybe other countries too?) ”hawaiian-football” haha!

• graff26lfc
    813 posts Professional
    424 is my main and its great fun you need a extremely good pair of Cms who cover everything kante is my workhorse breaking things up, just remember this is not a win with a clean sheet kind of formation it's a score more than them.
  • ArsleWenger
    graff26lfc wrote: »
    424 is my main and its great fun you need a extremely good pair of Cms who cover everything kante is my workhorse breaking things up, just remember this is not a win with a clean sheet kind of formation it's a score more than them.

Great! I use Kante and Goretzka as my CM’s, goretzka may be too attacking? Sounds good hahaha!
  • ScootEvil30
    198 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    graff26lfc wrote: »

How do you have it set up?