I think he wasn’t offside.
Post edited by Fifapayne on

Comments

• bobbyfischer
    384 posts Sunday League Hero
    Looked offside to me too.
  • llcg04
    896 posts Semi-Pro
    On TV they said he was offside but Spain defender touched the ball so no call is right
  • Fifapayne
    6014 posts Big Money Move
    llcg04 wrote: »
    On TV they said he was offside but Spain defender touched the ball so no call is right

Yessir that’s right
  • Gazz10
    668 posts Semi-Pro
    Was offside but spain defender touched the ball..

BUT the real question is did Mbappe gain an advantage by being offside?

I think yes!

Goal should have been chalcked off
  • Fifapayne
    Gazz10 wrote: »

I think yes!

Defender made a deliberate play on the ball.
    So it doesn’t matter if mbappe was offside.
  • sneaky77
    763 posts Semi-Pro
    Fifapayne wrote: »

I think yes!

Did they change this rule this yr because that's never been the rule before. Unless is an intentional pass from the defender
  • TDOF
    8997 posts League Winner
    P2usMra.png
  • Rizzywizzy6786
    395 posts Sunday League Hero
    According to the rules, it isn’t offside as the defender attempted to play the ball. Another stupid rule that is there to confuse everyone.
  • TDOF
    8997 posts League Winner
    According to the rules, it isn’t offside as the defender attempted to play the ball. Another stupid rule that is there to confuse everyone.

It has to be a rule, if ball going off from opponents would be considered offside then something like a pass back to the keeper being intercepted by an attacker would be offside... it has to be dependant on who touches it last.
  • GD18M
    2 posts Ball Boy

Especially since the reason he tried to play the ball was because of the offside player. It's a ridiculous rule change.
  • Rizzywizzy6786
    395 posts Sunday League Hero
    TDOF wrote: »

It has to be a rule, if ball going off from opponents would be considered offside then something like a pass back to the keeper being intercepted by an attacker would be offside... it has to be dependant on who touches it last.

It’s happened plenty of times before and according to the rules, the attacker gets the advantage. A few years ago, Lovren attempted to clear the ball but sliced it, Kane went through on goal and won a pen, even though he was clearly offside from the pass from his teammate.

More recently, Tyrone Mings brought the ball down on his chest and was tackled by a player 10 yards offside, who then went on to score. Was against Man City iirc. The goal was given. Stupid rules like I said
  • Gazz10
    668 posts Semi-Pro

I think yes!

Defender playing that ball deliberate is a very far fetch…
  • MrRoadToGlory
    160 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    By the rules it isn’t offside apparently, BUT it should be offside!
  • MrRoadToGlory
    160 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    TDOF wrote: »

It’s happened plenty of times before and according to the rules, the attacker gets the advantage. A few years ago, Lovren attempted to clear the ball but sliced it, Kane went through on goal and won a pen, even though he was clearly offside from the pass from his teammate.

More recently, Tyrone Mings brought the ball down on his chest and was tackled by a player 10 yards offside, who then went on to score. Was against Man City iirc. The goal was given. Stupid rules like I said

In all fairness bringing the ball down with your chest or a small touch (from Garcia) is a big big difference already.
  • Diem
    952 posts Semi-Pro
    Kishta wrote: »
    Surely mbappe being offside caused the defender to play the ball, if he wasn’t offside and in the position creating the need for the defender to attempt to stop the pass.

Should be offside.

This is the key. Think we all agree it ought to be offside, but under the Laws it's not.

Not sure how you'd update the Law to accommodate it within breaking something else.
  • Kennyy
    10395 posts Has That Special Something
    llcg04 wrote: »

He was off when it was played though
  • joshyw
    882 posts Semi-Pro
    edited October 2021
    According to the rules it was the right call as the defender did intentionally play the ball, but would he have played the ball if Mbappe wasn’t standing in an offside position? terrible rule
  • IxToMxI
    8204 posts League Winner
    Became a second phase of play as the defender purposely played the ball, should of reviewed the previous phase though IMO as if you applied he’s not interfering with play he is as if he wasn’t in an offside position on his shoulder then he wouldn’t of slid for it.

I get they are trying to make football one continuous game but it’s to far
  • The way I see it France just have to be carried. In the Euros they had dubious decisions go their way and here we witnessed it again.
  • juliuscaesar8
    1872 posts Fans' Favourite
    When the ball is played (before any other touches or phases happen) Mbappe is offside and the ref or VAR can and should have called it right then.
  • Fifapayne
    When the ball is played (before any other touches or phases happen) Mbappe is offside and the ref or VAR can and should have called it right then.

Being in an offside position isn’t a foul or illegal position.

The defender consciously making a play on the ball negates that offside.
  • Fifapayne
    Surely mbappe being offside caused the defender to play the ball, if he wasn’t offside and in the position creating the need for the defender to attempt to stop the pass.

Should be offside.

By your logic this should be offside but it’s not
    In the sense that he didn’t play the ball.

• juliuscaesar8
    1872 posts Fans' Favourite

Being in an offside position isn’t a foul or illegal position.

The defender consciously making a play on the ball negates that offside.

You’re right that being in an offside position isn’t illegal, unless someone is passing the ball in your direction and you are making an effort to play the ball, which Mbappe was doing both before the defenders touch. If Mbappe was just standing somewhere else on the field and not making a play on the ball and the defender played the ball towards him he could go score and not be offside.
  • Bob_Bobson
    2575 posts Fans' Favourite
    Diem wrote: »

Should be offside.

This is the key. Think we all agree it ought to be offside, but under the Laws it's not.

Not sure how you'd update the Law to accommodate it within breaking something else.

This tbh. They need to scrub all the offside laws and redo them. Just a confusing mess now.
  • OZero
    7572 posts League Winner
    By rule it’s not offside but by football logic it should be offside. The rule should be revised ASAP.
  • Kishta
    163 posts Has Potential To Be Special

Should be offside.

By your logic this should be offside but it’s not
    In the sense that he didn’t play the ball.

No, by my logic if Messi had caused a defender to play the ball, he would be yes.

A defender didn’t try to block Messi getting the ball and played it into his path did they?

• Bargy611
    258 posts Sunday League Hero
    Wouldn’t the Mbappe goal be the same if the striker stood next to the keeper and tapped it in after he spills or parries the ball?
  • IraqBruin
    2242 posts Fans' Favourite
    Bargy611 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t the Mbappe goal be the same if the striker stood next to the keeper and tapped it in after he spills or parries the ball?
    I could be wrong but I believe a save keeps phase 1 going.
  • llcg04
    896 posts Semi-Pro
    The way I see it France just have to be carried. In the Euros they had dubious decisions go their way and here we witnessed it again.

No, the call yesterday was right