ZbTXNI6.png
    7IFwcn7.jpg
    Post edited by Danimal5981 on
  • Danimal5981
    2721 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 6
    'THIS BOARD OF DIRECTORS HAVE BROUGHT AJAX BACK WHERE THEY BELONG'
    NXq3WMK.jpg
    Principal Director Edwin van der Sar (left) and Director of Football Marc Overmars, two very successful ex-players of Ajax (including the 1995 Champions League win) who after retirement have returned to the Amsterdam side, this time as managing directors. And again, the efforts of these two have helped the club to a higher level.

In late 2016, Edwin van der Sar was promoted to the role of Principal Director. By that time, Marc Overmars had been Director of Football already for four years, long enough to have seen the last two championships under the reign of head coach Frank de Boer (2013, 2014).

Domestic giants
    Since the duo is at the helm of the club from the Dutch capital, Ajax reached the final of UEFA Europa League (2017), missed the final of UEFA Champions League by a thread (2019), claimed two championships (2019, 2021), two Dutch Cups (2019, 2021) and a Johan Cruijff Shield (2019). They were on top of the table in 2020, but because the Dutch football association aborted the season because of the corona pandemic, the first place wasn't acknowledged as a championship.

Financially sovereign
    Under the leadership of the pair, Ajax has become the solitary powerhouse in Dutch football, akin to Bayern in Germany and Salzburg in Austria. This is mostly demonstrated by financial figures. Ajax has an annual budget of around €160 mln and is estimated to raise it another sixty, up to €220 mln by next year. In contrast, PSV Eindhoven ranks second with €80 mln and Feyenoord is third with €65 mln. Social media revenues for the Amsterdam side are seven times larger than runner-up Feyenoord.

Challenging Europe's elite
    Even in Europe, Ajax are nearing Europe's best. For the first time in a long while the club's value ranks in the top 20 again. The club's revenue is Europe's 27th best. But further growth is very probable as the club is only depending on 11% external funding. In contrast, teams like Tottenham Hotspur, Barcelona and Juventus have budgets where over half is external, or debt. In fact, if all clubs in European could've solely relied on internal budgets, Ajax would be in Europe's top 5 (with Bayern Munich as absolute number #1).

This all now needs to fall together. The enormous financial rise, plus the fact that the squad has largely remained intact means that Ajax now openly focusses on European success first. It is expected that the side will win the domestic league with ease and the domestic cup if it is deemed important enough. But this season's focus will be on UEFA Champions League. And pundits rank Ajax as the 12th most likely candidate to win this year's elite ball. And that's all thanks to Edwin van der Sar and Marc Overmars.
  • Danimal5981
    edited October 6
    RULES
    • level: legendary (with OS sliders)
    • length: 9 mins per half (can be shortened once learning curve drops)
    • first transfer window is disabled
    • negotiation strictness is strict
    • no sugar daddies or increased funds; default budgets
    • limitations: spending no higher than €25 mln per player
    • limitations: no player can earn more than top earner (€32k per week)
    • It is not allowed to close a year with a loss; for every acquisition there needs to be sold or cuts

GOALS
    • WIN Dutch league EREDIVISIE
    • WIN Dutch Cup KNVB BEKER
    • REACH quarter final UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
    • SIGN a crucial DEFENDER
    • ACHIEVE a € 120,000,000 million profit on MERCH SALES
    • ACHIEVE a series of 15 games with at least a GOAL SCORED

TRANSFER LIST

Final year of contract
    Maarten Stekelenburg (GK), Remco Pasveer (GK), Danilo (ST), Zakaria Labyad (CAM)

Won't block
    Sean Klaiber (RB), Nicolas Tagliafico (LB), David Neres (RW), Dusan Tadic (LW)*

*only at end of season
  • Danimal5981
    edited October 6
    AJAX 2021/2022 SQUAD

i1owzjh.jpg
    SQ6c6cY.png
  • Kieren1888
    1822 posts Play-Off Hero
    Looking forward to this!
  • gavin2903
    398 posts Sunday League Hero
    Who doesn't like a good ole Ajax story. Never done a longterm with them but often have used them in a Journeyman Career and been fun
  • Danimal5981
    2ElT8ZQ.png
    RXiRSki.png

• Danimal5981
    Sg0bMoC.png
  • Wyojasond
    17516 posts World Class
    Uh oh, all the old timers are making there way back in here 🙌 welcome back man. Look forward to it.
  • Stlducks
    7752 posts League Winner
    Always learn something following your stories. Can’t wait!
  • Danimal5981
    edited October 7
    OQ8oAfh.png

71Q6y0O.png
  • Ashy
    17523 posts World Class
    edited October 7
    Good luck and welcome back!

Nice set of rules to follow there too
  • Steffolovitch
    588 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Great setup and nice set of rules to keep it rather realistic and true to the nature of Ajax. Starting with current squads too, saving possible transfers until later. Looking forward to see where you're going with this.
  • Danimal5981
    XvyJe7B.png

7tytA4t.png
  • Danimal5981
    eUFKdWA.png

iihBz8N.png
  • Danimal5981
    T4eaW6o.png
  • Steffolovitch
    I'm wondering if Stekelenburg is about to retire. In my own save players at 32 are retiring, so I assume that "De Steek" is also going down that road soon?
  • Ashy
    17523 posts World Class
    Interesting to be top of the league yet not have a player in team of the month. Expect PSV to give you a good fight for the title if they keep Gakpo for the season
  • Danimal5981
    WJPT8J6.png

Indeed as @Ashy pointed out: all indications are, it will be a two way fight. Ajax and PSV both have 10 points from 4 games with Ajax now ahead on a better goal difference, thanks to the convincing away win.

@Steffolovitch a good goalkeeper for the next season (possibly two) is top priority in the second half of the season. But I am going to try and finish the current season with these current goalies: Stekelenburg (38), Pasveer (37) and Gorter (19)
  • Danimal5981
    BX0VJ0A.png
  • Virtual_K
    2002 posts Fans' Favourite
    If the team is going to suffer key injuries before a Champions League match, at least Ajax has a couple things in its favor: it's a home match, and I'm sure Besiktas isn't the strongest team in the group, so I'll expect Ajax to earn at least a point.

Interesting read on the financials. Too bad I don't have the opportunity to see Ajax play very often. Can't even watch Champions League this year without paying a subscription (which I refuse to do). Maybe you should start doing videos. :)
  • Danimal5981
    edited October 18
    @Virtual_K clubs finances are more and more becoming a thing in European football.

If not for a lot of external big money coming from the US, the Arabian peninsula or India, as well as huge bank loans, or multinational companies keeping one or more teams afloat, a lot (meaning: 90%) of teams in Europe would be bankrupt, or acting on a much more modest level. As things stand now, the financially most healthy teams based on inhouse credit (meaning: no external finances) are Ajax, Bayern, Celtic and Benfica.

The English teams are all depending on broadcasting revenues and sugar daddy investments, with Chelsea having started the trend in the 90's and Newcastle as the most recent example. Spanish teams are mostly thriving on brand strength and real estate loans: Real Madrid and Barcelona exist only because they 'branded out' the rights to their stadia.

Ajax are Europe's strongest when it comes to inhouse finances and have been for the last decade. They are in Europe's top ten when it comes to kit sponsor deals and they are also in Europe's top ten when it comes to match day revenues. The only place where Ajax are falling behind is when it comes to geopolitics: they are from a small country, thus a small market with small broadcasting revenues.

This usually gets compensated via sale of homegrown talent but for comparison: Ajax would annually have to sell like they did in summer 2019 (Matthijs de Ligt to Juventus € 70 mln, Frenkie de Jong to Barcelona, € 85 mln), in order to constitute a budget akin to those fighting against relegation in the English Premier League. That's how large the difference is.

But in terms of all other indicators, Ajax and to a lesser degree Celtic and Benfica are the only teams outside of the Big Five countries (England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France) that can financially get along with Europe's strongest. All three are teams too big for their respective countries, but too modest in Europe because of the country they're from.
  • Danimal5981
    edited October 18
    In a very stale game, Ajax nearly had the better of Turkish champions Besiktas. Shortly after the opening goal, David Neres had his shot hitting the upright preventing a 2-0 lead for the home side. Besiktas became dangerous after a corner halfway during the second half.

PKp4atS.png

UWBdXWg.png
  • Steffolovitch
    Good win in the Champions League, especially with the injury troubles. Arguably the weakest side in the group, it's important to get all three there. And a goal from Kudus. How is he doing btw? In game and IRL? I'm Danish and remember him from being quite superb in FC Nordsjælland before moving to Ajax.
  • Danimal5981
    Good win in the Champions League, especially with the injury troubles. Arguably the weakest side in the group, it's important to get all three there. And a goal from Kudus. How is he doing btw? In game and IRL? I'm Danish and remember him from being quite superb in FC Nordsjælland before moving to Ajax.

He's getting there. He was injured for most of last season, but he gets his minutes now as backup attacking midfielder, sometimes as left winger. The guy has sensational turn and accelaration with the ball. Ajax also wanted to acquire Kamaldeen Sulemana from FC Nordsjælland but he went to Rennes, so in the end Ajax opted for Mohamed Daramy from FC København.

Historically, Ajax scoops a lot of potentials from Danish league, sometimes Sweden or Norway.
  • Danimal5981
    1DShs1k.png
  • Danimal5981
    UEFA COEFFICIENTS

The race for UEFA Coefficent points is on! Ranking the squads along a European meter is a matter of prestige and determines seeding of a team and number of European tickets for a country. It will be here, where we can truly measure if Ajax can hold up to the greats. The Amsterdam side aim for a top ten spot before the summer of 2024.

Country coefficient
    With the group stages of European tournaments having been kicked off, bonus points were awarded to those who are still represented in the Champions League. Along with the big four teams (England, Spain, Italy and Germany), Portugal (three teams), Ukraine (two teams), Croatia and Hungary (one team each) have made a lightning start.

However, from here it is expected that teams that are represented by five club or more wil have the easiest time gathering points. Along with the big four, that's France, Portugal and Netherlands.
    yg45AHw.png

Club coefficient
    The big divider for the country's coefficient as a whole is usually after the qualifying rounds. Teams individually make the biggest movements up and down the ranking at the end of the group stages, or in the first knock-out rounds.

At the end of this season, the results of 2017/18 will fall away, with especially Real Madrid, Liverpool, Atletico Madrid and FC Bayern having a lot at stake. Big gains await for Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain. Ajax and Internazionale are already surplussing in comparison to five seasons before and are expecting to make quite a jump up the list. This no doubt will be at the expense of Arsenal who are set to loose 21.000 points and drop back to 59.000, with a spot in the top 20 at risk. Also at risk are Spurs and Roma, who'll need to show perfect scores in the newly formed European Conference League, as well as Olimpique Lyon and Napoli, who failed to score points in the opening round of the group stages.
    0C5xr8D.png
  • Steffolovitch
    Ajax also wanted to acquire Kamaldeen Sulemana from FC Nordsjælland but he went to Rennes, so in the end Ajax opted for Mohamed Daramy from FC København.

Historically, Ajax scoops a lot of potentials from Danish league, sometimes Sweden or Norway.

Yeah I know. It's also one of the reasons why I (and many other Danes) hold Ajax in such high regard. It also goes decades back with Søren Lerby, Frank Arnesen, Jan Mølby, Jesper Olsen etc. Plus they've retired both Laudrup brothers and developed Christian Eriksen and several others over the years.

I know about the interest in Kamaldeen, but I never understood the amount of money paid for him in the end. I didn't see him have nearly as great impact as Kudus and other great talents leaving the Superliga, but still he ended as the most expensive sale ever from a Danish club. In the end I believe Daramy will be a better choice for Ajax, less expensive and with a higher potential if you ask me. His inclusion in the Denmark national team will probably also have him wanting more, and I see Ajax as a great club to help him reach his potential.
  • Kieren1888
    1822 posts Play-Off Hero
    I love this story, feel like I learn stuff from reading it😂
  • Stlducks
    7752 posts League Winner
    Kieren1888 wrote: »
    I love this story, feel like I learn stuff from reading it😂

That's how all of @Danimal5981 's stories go! I learned why names have a capital and small letter in his story from two years ago lol. Like van Dijk for example.