Leeds United ▲ A Fallen Giant Rises ▲

Comments

• Ashy
    17523 posts World Class
    HvCS8D1.png
    Leeds United present Marcelo Gallardo as new manager succeeding fellow countryman Marcelo Bielsa. Gallardo has been a major influence in South America for the past decade winning the Uruguayan league in 2011 with Nacional then winning multiple trophies over a eight year period with River Plate including Copa Libertadores twice. He's been named South American coach of the year 4 times in the past 5 years. Gallardo and Bielsa also have a strong connection in the past when Bielsa managed Argentina, both share similar philosophies, Gallardo is expected to keep the high pressing tempo however alter the formation and mould the team around his unique style, he likes to change formations and have a dynamic team that can cope with that.

In other news, Netherlands beat Poland in the final of the World Cup and win the competition for the first time in their history. Virgil Van Dijk goes down in history after scoring the winner.

Some managerial changes to mention, Tuchel was sacked by Chelsea and replaced with Sporting boss Rúben Amorim. Newcastle are the only other Premier League side apart from Leeds to make a change with Bruce sacked and former Brighton manager Graham Potter appointed. Newcastle also have a change in ownership with Ashley selling the club to an American investor after the Saudi deal fell through, the owner may not have the same kind of money however they are committed to making them compete again.
  • Ashy
    17523 posts World Class
    edited October 9
    QjbxDZb.png
    Leeds United complete their first summer signing and Marcelo Gallardo gets his wish bring River Plate star player De La Cruz along with him to his new club, the Uruguayan central midfielder cost the Yorkshire club a record £37.5m fee in total, signing a 5 year deal and getting the number 11 shirt. Gallardo had this to say, "He's a brilliant footballer, he can get up and down the pitch, sets the tempo, he is perfect for what we want."

And more fantastic news for Leeds they sign Raphinha to a new deal keeping him at the club until 2027, he gets a big pay rise and shows faith to the club that gave him the platform. Gallardo was keen to get this done as soon as he arrived at the club. Welsh forward Tyler Roberts is sold to Bundesliga side Augsburg for just over £7m.
    9Z60pZF.png
    Leeds United had big issues defensively last season and that is one of the key things Gallardo wants to fix in the summer window, in comes Roma defender Gianluca Mancini for a fee up to £33m. The Italian was eager for a new challenge and a call from the owner who knows his agent well was enough to convince him. More big money being spent with half of that funded by the sale of Llorente who was the main centre back last season that conceded so many goals. Can Mancini come in and make the difference?

Another new signing Gallardo was very keen on bringing in is the young Argentinian winger Alan Velasco from Independiente, Leeds trigger his £14.5m release clause and will ease him into the team, the manager has complete faith he will be a big player for the club in the future, he gets the 14 shirt. As Mancini comes in out goes Llorente to Serie A side Atalanta. The total fee around £16m.
    3dctKh7.png
    Leeds forth and final summer move will see Man City and Ukraine left back Oleksandr Zinchenko move on a year loan deal but the key part here is Leeds have inserted a buy clause of around £37.5m into the contract. Zinchenko struggled to find minutes in the City side last season and was keen for more playing time which he then engineered the move up North. He is expected to jump right ahead of Junior Firpo in the left back position but can also fill in central midfield when needed. He gets the 17 shirt.

Leeds United get some money back through some late window sales, Helder Costa going to Hertha Berlin for £3.8m a big loss in the players value and Poveda going to Spanish side Cádiz CF for £4.5m. Bate is loaned to Norwich while Cresswell is also loaned to newly promoted Bournemouth.
  • Ashy
    17523 posts World Class
    kANuVvo.png
  • Ashy
    17523 posts World Class
    SBiNxgd.png
    p0UFfo0.gif
    mpvYDto.png
    Leeds United had what is probably the toughest game of the season to kick off their campaign, Gallardo travelled to the lions den in Anfield as the leagues runners up put on a show beating them 4-2, Leeds tried to go toe to toe with them but ultimately failed, following that was a good set of fixtures for Leeds to pick up points and that they did. Some key things to mention were Bamford was the starter but faded as he struggled to adapt to his new role, Rodrigo coming off the bench and always delivered and soon after began to start games for Gallardo and looks to be his man leading the line. The Leeds defence looks very strong and are connecting well, Zinchenko is a revelation at left-back.

Carabao Cup progression is on course with two good wins for the out of favour players, a key thing to note the newly promoted youngsters Carr in goal and Young at right back showing their worth in both games. Leeds ended September with a loss to Villa, Struijk getting a red 30 mins into the game was the game changer and despite holding on Bailey scored in the 85th minute to steal the game.
  • Ashy
    17523 posts World Class
    9uxnMnO.png
  • Virtual_K
    2002 posts Fans' Favourite
    Leeds off to good start to the season with a new coach and system. They even have the best goal differential at this early stage.

Have to add that with Netherlands beating Poland in the World Cup, must have given @Danimal5981 an identity crisis. :)
  • gavin2903
    398 posts Sunday League Hero
    Like the signings and with the new manager I'm sure we'll keep our newly found Argentinian Fans that have joined the following since Bielsa arrived. ALAW MOT
  • Stlducks
    7752 posts League Winner
    Great season startup. Some really exciting moves for Leeds, not to mention the new manager who seems like a great hire after Bielsa. The table is really tight for the top 9 teams, the league is going to be very difficult to finish top four. Should be fun.
  • Wyojasond
    17516 posts World Class
    Had a feeling Gallardo would get the job. Great choice as the results have shown. United’s title defense is off to a pretty rocky start.
  • Danimal5981
    2721 posts Fans' Favourite
    Netherlands and Poland in a world cup final would be a wet dream for me
    (as I'm of both countries: Dutch father, Polish mother)
  • Steffolovitch
    588 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Great start and busy window indeed. De La Cruz and Velasco are both very talented, and Mancini is a solid defender, whom I used successfully in a Roma campaign in FIFA20, I think it was. Good signing, and bringing Zinchenko in on loan is also quite incredible.

Surprised to see Rodrigo return as a number 9, but it looks like he's started well in the new role.
  • Ashy
    17523 posts World Class
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Leeds off to good start to the season with a new coach and system. They even have the best goal differential at this early stage.
    Have to add that with Netherlands beating Poland in the World Cup, must have given @Danimal5981 an identity crisis. :)
    Yes very good start for us, couldn't believe Poland got to the final
    gavin2903 wrote: »
    Like the signings and with the new manager I'm sure we'll keep our newly found Argentinian Fans that have joined the following since Bielsa arrived. ALAW MOT
    Haha yes. I'm focusing on having a nice South American core in the team
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Great season startup. Some really exciting moves for Leeds, not to mention the new manager who seems like a great hire after Bielsa. The table is really tight for the top 9 teams, the league is going to be very difficult to finish top four. Should be fun.
    Be interesting to see how the top half develops over the season. I want Leeds to push for the top 8 this season.
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    Had a feeling Gallardo would get the job. Great choice as the results have shown. United’s title defense is off to a pretty rocky start.
    Yep pretty poor start from the title winners, strange
    Gallardo was always the guy I wanted to base the story on
    Great start and busy window indeed. De La Cruz and Velasco are both very talented, and Mancini is a solid defender, whom I used successfully in a Roma campaign in FIFA20, I think it was. Good signing, and bringing Zinchenko in on loan is also quite incredible.
    Surprised to see Rodrigo return as a number 9, but it looks like he's started well in the new role.
    Thanks, I think these signings will be very good, Leeds needed a strong window. Yeah Bamford worked wonders under Bielsa but he can't seem to get going under Gallardo and the new system, Rodrigo definitely works better right now

Sorry for the delay in the next update, it's been a whole week! Just took some days off but a new update will be up later and I'll catch up on everyone's stories
  • Ashy
    17523 posts World Class
    edited October 16
    vwLvG8s.png
    Zinchenko scores Leeds second goal in the 4-2 defeat to Wolves
    BTha0tc.gif
    rQv0rxm.png

Leeds United would have looked at October on paper and thought 'where are we going to pick up points?' and it played out as expected, Manchester United always seem to get one over Leeds and once again the reigning Champions did it, Ronaldo hatrick and the player was unstoppable on the day. Wolves followed a very hard place to go and pick up points, Leeds put up a fantastic fight to equalise on two occasions but two late goals saw Wolves prove why they are a top team. It only got worse as Chelsea came to Elland Road with intentions as they smash Gallardo's men 6-1, Calvert-Lewin with a hatrick this time and Rúben Amorim has got them playing brilliant football.

Leeds needed the break from the league and they got through a difficult Watford Carabao Cup game and qualify for the last eight against Reading. Arsenal ended the month of October as both teams go toe to toe in a 3-3 draw, Leeds were 3-0 up at half time but a fantastic comeback from the Gunners saw them batter Leeds, Smith Rowe scoring a late equaliser. November was much brighter for Leeds fans as they get 10/12 points and climb up to the top half of the Premier League, big wins over London sides Spurs and Palace and with Everton struggling a good win there.
  • Ashy
    17523 posts World Class
    hgcVEoA.png
  • Steffolovitch
    Definitely recovered well in November. Brilliant results there, three in a row vs Spurs, Palace and Everton.

Interesting take with Raphinha attracting interest from bigger clubs. Could see him take a step up at some point, intrigued to see how you'll handle that situation.
  • Virtual_K
    2002 posts Fans' Favourite
    Up 3-0 at half to Arsenal only to end the match in a draw. Hmmm, methinks something is afoot. :wink:

Seems like a favorable draw in the cup against Reading, but I'm sure they're glad to avoid some of the bigger PL clubs as well. Might be Leed's best chance for silverware.
  • Kieren1888
    1822 posts Play-Off Hero
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Up 3-0 at half to Arsenal only to end the match in a draw. Hmmm, methinks something is afoot. :wink:

Seems like a favorable draw in the cup against Reading, but I'm sure they're glad to avoid some of the bigger PL clubs as well. Might be Leed's best chance for silverware.

This keeps happening to me too😂
  • Stlducks
    7752 posts League Winner
    Nice of you to give the Gunners a point when you probably could have smashed them...

You really needed that turn around in form, sitting 9th at this stage is not bad for the goals of finishing top 8. The way the season started under a new manager, things could have become ugly real fast.
  • Danimal5981
    2721 posts Fans' Favourite
    Again a CM where AI Wolverhampton goes pretty strong for the second year running. It's remarkable how EA Sports still get some teams dead wrong. In Netherlands, PEC are dead last but in my CM they are in 3rd.
  • Steffolovitch
    Again a CM where AI Wolverhampton goes pretty strong for the second year running. It's remarkable how EA Sports still get some teams dead wrong. In Netherlands, PEC are dead last but in my CM they are in 3rd.

Hertha Berlin was my "always owerpowered team" in FIFA21. 4-5 seasons into every save, they were always a fully established Champions League contester with more than five £60-70m transfers completed. Some day you'd hope for EA to improve the realism of AI transfers.
  • Ashy
    17523 posts World Class
    Going to put this on hold for now until I feel like getting back into Fifa, will be posting an FM save in the meantime
  • Bieng a Man Utd fan i shouldnt want to do a leeds career, but the idea of reviving a fallen giant sounds so tempting