Southgate...Sigh...Idiot...

xCDHx
1439 posts Play-Off Hero
Can’t believe England have lost but I put it down to Southgate as have no idea why Grealish was not playing more minutes in this game when Mount was creating absolutely nothing.

England had a great 1st half where they surprised Italy with their tactics, but Mancini showed who was the Don by out coaching Southgate who didn’t make any tactical changes after when Italy were all over England.

Arrivederci Southgate....

Comments

• Gnomenclature
    8218 posts League Winner
    Well, Southgate did get England to a final for the first time since 1966.... Yeah, he's probably garbage lol.

Should not have had the teenager on the last penalty though. Credit to Donnarumma though.

Also, that Italy team is crazy good - England showed they deserved to be in the final imo.
  • xCDHx
    1439 posts Play-Off Hero
    LahmChops wrote: »
    Something leads me to believe he knows a little more about football than you.

No way mate. I win every cup going on Football Manager.
  • rmoxon
    3913 posts National Call-Up
    Its funny how they were the best team ever when winning and when they lose they are the worst.

The irony is that the first half performance today was the best they had been in the entire tournament.
  • Fifapayne
    6447 posts Big Money Move
    edited July 2021
    rmoxon wrote: »
    Its funny how they were the best team ever when winning and when they lose they are the worst.

The irony is that the first half performance today was the best they had been in the entire tournament.

That’s how it always goes
  • limjitwe
    10074 posts Has That Special Something
    Yes Southgate has gotten the country behind the team and the team did well to get into the finals.

But poor decisions or the lack of in the second half killed it when Italy was all over England.
  • Bob_Bobson
    3249 posts National Call-Up
    Point remains that other than Sir Alf Ramsey, he is the most successful manager England have ever had. This will be as much a learning experience for him as the players so it could well be his game management improves at the world cup.

• Mmandras
    6269 posts Big Money Move
    Well, Southgate did get England to a final for the first time since 1966.... Yeah, he's probably garbage lol.

Should not have had the teenager on the last penalty though. Credit to Donnarumma though.

Also, that Italy team is crazy good - England showed they deserved to be in the final imo.

Both teams are average at best, to be honest. Lack of real talents on both side.
  • torakun
    2701 posts National Call-Up
    England got tons of talents just sitting on the bench. What a wasteful squad opportunity.

Italy made the best of what they have. Losing Spinazolla, and Chiesa, but still dominating. Maybe thats what england needed. Losing Sterling and Mount, to have someone else made impact.

Sterling staying on for whole match really made no sense. Finally, sending cold, unplayed, maybe even lacking confidence - Rashford and Sancho - to take the penalty was too risky, and it was proven so.
  • Rainaz
    1156 posts Professional
    I'm not a Southgate fan however I you asked me before the tourney would I see us in the final, I would laugh.

If we win the pens we would be saying how great those tactical subs are.

We lose the pens, it's all his fault.

Truth is well done to the lads unfortunately the on the night we lost the toss up.

Non the less, absolutely gutted.
  • All4fun1991
    2991 posts National Call-Up
    It is football. Southgate have done a fantastic job and will continue the good work.
  • Greekgod97
    523 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited July 2021
    Southgate did a fantastic job with that team. Bad sports if you blame some young guys or the coach if they lose on penalties. It’s simple the coach asked if it goed down to penalties who wants to take them.. I’m sure Saka rased his hand, that’s why he was up there. And if you’re on the national team age doesn’t matter anymore youre part of the team.
  • Damo_Suzuki
    4012 posts National Call-Up
    edited July 2021
    Bad decisions by him last night but overall he far exceeded expectations.
  • CoCoGoaL
    235 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Roberto Mancini made England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 from 3 lions 🦁 to puppies 🐶 😝
  • TheMightyBee
    4046 posts National Call-Up
    CoCoGoaL wrote: »

It was a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ game that ended 1-1, Italy controlled the ball but it was dire and when a player did do something good they got rugby tackled or taken out. Most finals turn out to be dire.
  • CoCoGoaL
    235 posts Has Potential To Be Special

It was a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ game that ended 1-1, Italy controlled the ball but it was dire and when a player did do something good they got rugby tackled or taken out. Most finals turn out to be dire.
    in the end penalties is a lottery and respect for the young guys to have courage to take penalties then the more experiences players. It’s says enough that Luigi Donnaruma is the best player of the tournament

• Mdm
    5120 posts Big Money Move
    Harry kane went missing for most of the match . He couldn't even run after 30 min. Pathetic captain
  • Kennyy
    10579 posts Has That Special Something
    Could have very easily gone the other way.

Yes they sat back and defended, that’s what they’ve done all tournament. That tip onto the post by Pickford goes the other way and out, who knows that happens.

Such is football.
  • limjitwe
    10074 posts Has That Special Something
    Mdm wrote: »
    Harry kane went missing for most of the match . He couldn't even run after 30 min. Pathetic captain

Pathetic? IMO Kane was one of the best performers in the first half. Italy could not do anything to him but foul him constantly. Second half like the whole team dropped back and his performance suffered as a result.
    Kennyy wrote: »
    Could have very easily gone the other way.

Yes they sat back and defended, that’s what they’ve done all tournament. That tip onto the post by Pickford goes the other way and out, who knows that happens.

Such is football.

Yup fine margins 🥲
  • rmoxon
    3913 posts National Call-Up
    edited July 2021
    limjitwe wrote: »
    Mdm wrote: »

Pathetic? IMO Kane was one of the best performers in the first half. Italy could not do anything to him but foul him constantly. Second half like the whole team dropped back and his performance suffered as a result.

Kane was playing False 9, which means that someone from midfield needed to push on pass him into the striker position when he was deep.

The problem is that no one from midfield was taking up the striker positions, which meant there was no one up front performing an attacking role for a lot of the match.
  • Vidic_15
    106 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Can’t blame anyone for missing a penalty, like someone said above fair play to all the lads that stepped up

Surely poor management though by Southgate to settle for penalties knowing how awful England have been over the last 50 years at them….why not have a go at Italy and try to win it rather than risk another penalty defeat

Sancho, Foden, Rashford and even DCL all on the bench with pace and skill to burn yet they are not used - especially when Harry Kane had no legs, Sterling invisible and Mount totally ineffective.

England will never have a better chance at silverware, massive wasted opportunity in my eyes because of really poor management
  • TheMightyBee
    4046 posts National Call-Up

in the end penalties is a lottery and respect for the young guys to have courage to take penalties then the more experiences players. It’s says enough that Luigi Donnaruma is the best player of the tournament

I can't see Italy losing a shootout with him in goal, what a player. He will go down as one of the all time greats. Chiesa is also a hell of a talent, what a player.