England didnt do enough

Gazz10
675 posts Semi-Pro
England fan.. no hate

But after going 1-0 up they didnt do ❤️❤️❤️❤️… letting Italy come at you is the shittiest thing to do.. own downfall

Comments

• Retro1989
    7614 posts League Winner
    Problem with alot of teams these days. Go 1 goal ahead and sit back, it's a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ way to play football.
  • TheMightyBee
    4121 posts National Call-Up
    To be honest it was just a poor final with lots of sideways passes and fouls with a pitch full of tired players. Southgate was super negative after half time and it made it hard for both teams to create anything. Better team won but it was a terrible watch.
  • nextqprmanager
    3790 posts National Call-Up
    Poor substitutions by England, sat too deep in 2nd half.
  • keith210277
    3626 posts National Call-Up
    Agree we were far too negative and Southgate's negatively finally caught up with him.
  • I SiR MartY I
    16811 posts World Class
    Wenger would be perfect to coach that team.

Southgate is not a great coach.
  • IraqBruin
    2242 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited July 2021
    I think they scored too early and before building enough attacking rhythm/momentum. A team scoring after a prolonged attacking dominance does usually demoralize their opponent to give itself a chance for a second goal; SG used the early goal to stop his team from building a psychological attacking edge on his behind-by-a-goal opponent.
  • Nodge86
    5676 posts Big Money Move
    That Southgate got that squad to a final with that group of players is incredible. A midfield of Rice and Phillips might be the most limited in the tournament. Rice is a cb playing in midfield and it shows. He’s not a bad coach, he set them up and played the only way they could. He’s just not the most exciting of managers.
  • TheMightyBee
    Vidic_15 wrote: »
    I think Southgate deserves credit for the togetherness, spirit and confidence in the squad….but tactically he is massively out of his depth!!

Most other top managers would have won the tournament with that squad

Lack of substitutions every game

Sancho has like 30mins all tournament, grealish hardly played, foden barely played

No balls whatsoever to play an attacking formation or team and go kill any game off, 2 goals in the group stage

36 and 37 year old in Italy s defence and he keeps a burnt out Harry Kane who has been poor all tournament on the full match rather than give rashford or sancho a run at them

Youngest player on the pitch hitting the 5th and crucial penalty….

The list goes on, pretty much a home tournament and a favourable draw again, other top nations not progressing so will never have a better chance. Massive massive opportunity lost and most of the blame for me goes to Southgate

Kane is the worst off the ball pressing striker I’ve seen, you might as well put a tree in the centre of the pitch. This allows teams to just chill on the ball and makes us drop deep. Second half was crying out for 3 players who could press and run in behind.
  • IraqBruin
    2242 posts Fans' Favourite
    Nodge86 wrote: »
    That Southgate got that squad to a final with that group of players is incredible. A midfield of Rice and Phillips might be the most limited in the tournament. Rice is a cb playing in midfield and it shows. He’s not a bad coach, he set them up and played the only way they could. He’s just not the most exciting of managers.

Phillips played a very good tournament and justified his selection to be honest.
  • keith210277
    IraqBruin wrote: »

Phillips played a very good tournament and justified his selection to be honest.

Agreed he surprised me with how well he played.
  • Nodge86
    edited July 2021

I think he played above what was expected of him, so I do agree to some extent. But that sort of proves my point a bit. That midfield is not good enough for international tournament football.
  • Ruprecht
    998 posts Semi-Pro
    Played Mount on the left who did nothing all game. Needed taking off and changing the system after an hour but he left it until they scored. Seemed obvious but there’s no invention to Southgate. Nice guy but you could have won that by having a go at Italy.
  • TheMightyBee
    Ruprecht wrote: »
    Played Mount on the left who did nothing all game. Needed taking off and changing the system after an hour but he left it until they scored. Seemed obvious but there’s no invention to Southgate. Nice guy but you could have won that by having a go at Italy.

Mount is the most over rated player in an England shirt, he runs around a lot, tries lots of turns but never just calmly controls the game, not everything needs to be done at 100mph.
  • TheMightyBee

I think he played above what was expected of him, so I do agree to some extent. But that sort of proves my point a bit. That midfield is not good enough for international tournament football.

Yeah that was the problem and why I think Southgate went with such tactics, Bellingham has lots of potential.
  • Dochter
    475 posts An Exciting Prospect
    The team of the tournament won it. The better team on the day won it.

England should be proud of what they have achieved and accept it's as far as they have got in most of the people on this forums lifetime. The negative comments and entitled attitude are totally unwarranted. Tbh England aren't really that that far away from winning something and the fans and media should support the squad not criticise them.
  • Nodge86

Yeah that was the problem and why I think Southgate went with such tactics, Bellingham has lots of potential.

For sure. This tournament potentially a year too early for him to start consistently. I would have brought him on instead of Henderson tonight though.
  • keith210277
    Dochter wrote: »

England should be proud of what they have achieved and accept it's as far as they have got in most of the people on this forums lifetime. The negative comments and entitled attitude are totally unwarranted. Tbh England aren't really that that far away from winning something and the fans and media should support the squad not criticise them.

No complaints Italy wer the best team in the tournament.
  • Dochter

No complaints Italy were the best team in the tournament.

There are so many positives to take from this tourney. If I was English I would be absolutely proud of the team and be quite optimistic about qualifying for the world cup and doing something next year.
  • TheMightyBee
    It will be interesting to see what happens to France and Belgium, lot of ageing players.
  • WryLucky
    7062 posts Big Money Move
    It will be interesting to see what happens to France and Belgium, lot of ageing players.

Nothing will happen to France, have you seen their under 21s?!
  • Dochter
    WryLucky wrote: »

Nope are they looking good? What have they achieved?
  • TheMightyBee

Yeah they have some talent but still needs to progress to senior team.
  • CeeQue
    15566 posts World Class
    They need to git gud QbadP.png
  • Dochter

So who are these players?
  • Th3DirtyPriest
    1205 posts Professional
    So you attack and attack them and get counter attack then what?

You simple don't have the quality in depth yet. Italy have been winning and loosing finals. So experience can set in. These England players will become better players because they lost this finals.
  • Hammer316
    4285 posts National Call-Up
    We were so poor after about 30 minutes. Invited all the pressure and the subs or lack of were really poor. Southgate gets found out by big teams unfortunately.

Tbf Italy deserved the trophy but it was ours for the taking if we went for the jugular first half.
  • TheMightyBee

Camavinga, Aouar, Kounde, Konate to name a few. All players who are currently not good enough to be first team regulars in the main team.
  • Dochter
    Hammer316 wrote: »
    We were so poor after about 30 minutes. Invited all the pressure and the subs or lack of were really poor. Southgate gets found out by big teams unfortunately.

Tbf Italy deserved the trophy but it was ours for the taking if we went for the jugular first half.

Easier said than done when you've got two attacking players in your squad (Kane and Sterling) and potentially another in Mount.
  • Bob_Bobson
    4105 posts National Call-Up

Camavinga, Aouar, Kounde, Konate to name a few. All players who are currently not good enough to be first team regulars in the main team.

Camavinga is the real deal. He's going to go very far in the game.