Does WL difficult feels constant to anyone else?

what3v3r
959 posts Professional
While in previous years it seemed to increase as ELO increased, this year it feels the same regardless of record.

I mentally divide my games in chunks of 5, and I set a goal of winning 4, and it is as hard to get to 8-2 as it is to get to 23-6. Seriously, the games to clutch Elite 3 are not harder than the placement games.

Even the pro/verified matches seem to be evenly distributed, I usually match 3 verified players per WL, one in my first 10, one in the middle 10, one in the last 10.

Last year, I would easily go 14-1 or 15-0 and then start getting destroyed and try to win as much as I could to reach 23.

Comments

• Europa3114
    469 posts An Exciting Prospect
    what3v3r wrote: »
    While in previous years it seemed to increase as ELO increased, this year it feels the same regardless of record.

I mentally divide my games in chunks of 5, and I set a goal of winning 4, and it is as hard to get to 8-2 as it is to get to 23-6. Seriously, the games to clutch Elite 3 are not harder than the placement games.

Even the pro/verified matches seem to be evenly distributed, I usually match 3 verified players per WL, one in my first 10, one in the middle 10, one in the last 10.

Last year, I would easily go 14-1 or 15-0 and then start getting destroyed and try to win as much as I could to reach 23.

I read this and imagine a rich guy bemoaning petrol prices....

I struggle to get 11 wins just to qualify to go through the same hell next week.... Believe me any joy is ripped out of you getting beat every game by people who literally abuse the game mechanics in exactly the same way like some kind of robotic cult
  • Sctt78
    403 posts Sunday League Hero
    I’m only a G2 player but I agree with this. Placement matches in particular seem a lot harder and an easy win/rage quit are scarce. Transitioning from G3 to G2 for me the last few weeks has been at the same level of difficulty as my placement games.
  • nj10
    2859 posts National Call-Up
    I struggle to get to 11 wins usually takes me Around 20 games but then the next 3 games will be straight wins for gold 3
  • imi
    55 posts Park Captain
    I usually get to 14 or 17 wins and stop but last night went 8-2 between 9pm and 12am; after that I couldn’t win a game - lost the next 10 in a row by 1 or 2 goals each game so gave up (plus it was 2am)
  • David12344
    14387 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 17
    I find it gets easier as it goes on . (Maybe I adapt more to the carp house tatics people use as it goes on ) For example I can struggle to get to silver 1 losing 7 or 8 on the way then it’s plain sailing to gold 2. It’s almost as if matchmaking is harder at the beginning and the quality of opponents are so much better 🤷‍♂️

Last week I started 5-8
    The Saturday went 12-2

How does that work ?
  • NinthFall
    2567 posts National Call-Up
    I've stopped believing in ELO and started believing in randomness, expecting each match to be at least as difficult as the last one, regardless of whether I lost or won.
  • joshyw
    364 posts Sunday League Hero
    I seem to have similar runs every weekend I usually go about 12-4 and then i’ll lose 3 or 4 in a row and then win my last 8-9 games out of 10. Wish their was more information available on your matchmaking

This weekend I didn’t have one rage quit when I usually get about 3-4 a weekend, shows how difficult and close the games were.
  • kraid
    7637 posts League Winner
    edited May 17

100%. Even the games you win are very close. Start of the year I would win quite a few games by huge margins, or get very early rq’s. Last few weekends every game is hard, every opponent is doing skill cancels etc. Very few early quits, it takes ages. You’re as likely to lose a game in your first 5 as you are in your last 5.
    Post edited by kraid on
  • fussydutchman
    1801 posts Play-Off Hero
    Yes. I went 0-5 at the start of the last WL, which was a first for me. Finished 17-13 in the end.
  • TheonlywayisS6
    3902 posts National Call-Up
    Always the same pattern for me - absolutely hopeless in the first few games where it's random opponents (as a D5 player I'm getting matched against D1 and D2 players who are way better than me), then recover and go 50/50 win ratio or better after that.

Last 3 weeks I've ended with 14 wins despite starting off 0-4, 0-6 and 1-5.

I have got better though, or probably more accurately my team has, I used to have to grind just to get to 11 wins and very rarely managed 14 but now I'm usually comfortably achieving that with plenty to spare and either stopping there or going for gold. I hadn't managed gold since February but have now done it 3 weeks in a row, and the week before that I was on 13 wins with 4 games to go but lost them all when the matchmaking decided I wasn't having gold and gave me top class opponents and squads for them all!
  • BioNicoM2
    139 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I am gold 3 player. Sometimes I could push for Gold 2 but I stop anyway. The route to gold 3 is different bit this wl I just could not score goals.I was loosing my mind game after game. I scraped the gold 3 on last game win.
  • libertao
    1684 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited May 17
    No, I always start off decent, then at around halfway think "I should be able to comfortably get G2/G1, but maybe even Elite 3 if I stay on track" -- but almost always end up G2, with the last handful of games a huge struggle. Last weekend I had my best ever start 10-1 followed by my worst ever finish. 15-15.
  • starfox1284
    3606 posts National Call-Up
    edited May 17
    This week was hard in general, first two TOTS weeks i was E3, this week i got G2 (couldnt get the last win to get to G1). In all honesty, the way they have this mode setup is that its just not fun, its worse than work actually but you have to be in it to keep up with everyone this time of year.
  • TOTS season much harder. Before TOTS I got easily G1. Since TOTS started I am G2. Got yesterday from 17-5 to 19-10. I've luckily won the deciding last game, but every game from the beginning was a coin flip.
  • SalsaTequila
    27 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I feel like it is all connection based. When your opponent AI is more responsive then yours you know it will be a difficult game. At that point it doesn't matter if you play against an elite or a gold player you will struggle anyway, because the skill gap isn't that big.
  • All4fun1991
    2351 posts Fans' Favourite
    You have a point, Now I cannot believe I used to hit G 3 every WL in FIFA 20...I gave up WL in the start of this FIFA because everything seems lot more difficult.
  • greif44
    6117 posts Big Money Move
    In 19 and 20 I could easily finish 14-3, 17-5, managed to hit G1 multiple times like 20-8.

In 21 my best WL finish was 17-8, normally I can't get past +6 form, haven't got to G1 so far. And yes, I rarely get easy games, most of the time they're sweaty af.
  • RKO_VIPER
    705 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I was elite 3/2 last year
    Hit elite 3 few times this year but since the new year twice in 5 months
    And last year I’d get ‘input delayed games’ like 4-5 times out of 30
    This year it’s almost 13 games out of 30.
    People are definitely doing something to get lag comp on their side
    I play wired on 8-14ms and my players can’t even make 2 yard passes
  • Boommaametw3
    3977 posts National Call-Up

Exactly bro. I usually elite 3 with like 2 games to spare but not a single ragequit and like only 2 "easy games". Almost every game goes down to the wire, multiple extra time and penalties and it didn't make sense to me because i am 2200 SR in rivals NA and i completely destroy anyone 2000 or below.

I think it's because fut champs takes up rivals games so anyone div 3 or below chose to play rivals instead. Also this game has lower skill gap.
    You could lead someone 3-0 by 60 minutes then all of a sudden pressure tactics help opponent get it to 3-2 then you have to defend for you life to win a game you deserved to win easily. So many hand holding game mechanics. Offside traps,charging GKs,blocks, tracking runs etc all these AI does it for you.