Why is the weekend league so hard??

SmokeSwift1
4385 posts National Call-Up
I am 2100 SR player, Elite 3 player even on my worst WL this year i started 10-5 and still finished gold 1 with a game to spare.
I play rivals a lot and against 1900-2000 SR i win easily, not even close i am talking 5-1,4-0 etc. Only against 2050-2200 it's 50/50 and 2200+ SR i get destroyed.

Yes i will still finish gold 1 at worst but i sweat hard for every win, every single game goes down to the wire. I have to defend 1 goal lead or score last minute goals to win games. I don't understand. Am i only playing 2000+ SR players or what?

Comments

• Nodge86
    5676 posts Big Money Move
    I am 2100 SR player, Elite 3 player even on my worst WL this year i started 10-5 and still finished gold 1 with a game to spare.
    I play rivals a lot and against 1900-2000 SR i win easily, not even close i am talking 5-1,4-0 etc. Only against 2050-2200 it's 50/50 and 2200+ SR i get destroyed.

Yes i will still finish gold 1 at worst but i sweat hard for every win, every single game goes down to the wire. I have to defend 1 goal lead or score last minute goals to win games. I don't understand. Am i only playing 2000+ SR players or what?

I’m the same as you and that’s not my experience at all. Although I play to minimum rank now so maybe it’s about perception whilst playing? You want the highest rank so it places additional strain upon you. I’m just playing so it doesn’t really matter what happens game to game.
  • MassofCox
    487 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Not sure what’s happening this weekend I lost 11 games across the whole weekend last week I’ve already list 8 out of 15 this week. My team (on paper at least) has got better with TOTS AWB and Tagliafico yet I’m conceding more and scoring less. In my first 5 games I won 4 today I’ve played 10 and only won 3 (2 of which went to pens)

I don’t understand how the WL experience can change so much in one week
  • Cainman88
    544 posts An Exciting Prospect
    This weekend has been crazy hardest weekend league this year ,was raging half way through kind of brought it back but stil behind normal
  • jonkero
    7221 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 2021
    Always the hardest during tots, we want those red tots players so bad
  • DannySTFC
    9460 posts League Winner
    edited May 2021
    Not really sure what you expect, WL is the toughest game mode because of the rewards and the limited games, realistically only the hardcore fanbase play it, so it’s going to be hard.

Also if you’re finishing G1/Elite you have a good elo so of course the games are going to be a good level.

Jump across to the WL thread and you’ll see people with twice as many losses as wins. People who only just about manage to scrape S1 or G3, they’re the ones who actually have the right to say it’s hard!
  • FifaProDK
    1921 posts Fans' Favourite
    It comes dowm to mentality.

In rival games you don't give a toss, you will still reach rank 1 as long as you get a little more than 12k points.

WL every match counts so you opponent try harder.
  • FrankFrank
    9068 posts League Winner
    edited May 2021
    Basically no difference between 2000 and 2200 skill rating. You should be much higher than 2100 if you are an actual elite player tho :)

* Dont know with PS, but on xbox you gotta hit 2300 skill rating before you match elite players consistently in rivals.
  • what3v3r
    1132 posts Professional
    I have been saying this for a while. WL is way harder this year. I remember last year we stressed on div 1 and chilled on WL. This year WL is harder. I have grinded the past weeks and I am 2300 skill rating. Last week I lost 9 WL games, I can't remember the last time I lost more than 7 games on a full WL.

I don't if it is matchmaking, servers, if people are better this year, if I suck, but this is the hardest FIFA for me
  • SmokeSwift1
    4385 posts National Call-Up
    edited May 2021
    FrankFrank wrote: »
    Basically no difference between 2000 and 2200 skill rating. You should be much higher than 2100 if you are an actual elite player tho :)

* Dont know with PS, but on xbox you gotta hit 2300 skill rating before you match elite players consistently in rivals.

I finished elite with 2 games to spare last week. That's not my point. Shouldn't i be matching div 5,4 first few games till i get a good record before matchmaking top players?
    There is only 5% of players in div 1 and out of that i easily beat the 1900-2000 SR players easily. But why in fut champs I'm 8-1 rn and already played 3 extra times and have to defend one goal leads or score winner in last 10 minutes of game. Only won one game 3-0 RQ, if he stayed he could have come back

20210501-174519.jpg
    20210501-174543.jpg
  • Jordonp
    3189 posts National Call-Up
    WL is weighted heavy psychologically because it’s competitive and this impacts confidence and subsequently performance. Going in with a clear mind and confidence is a good way to succeed. Because the limited time it’s difficult to do this but try spacing your games out.
  • Fifapayne
    6120 posts Big Money Move

Fake news
  • MarchOrDie
    500 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Almost every game was swetty and thight, ppl play like crazy for those tots, still mamaged to get 17,good result for me
  • JWNYsg
    7006 posts Big Money Move
    Anyone who finishes G1 and better are really good players
  • I SiR MartY I
    14129 posts Has That Special Something
    Rivals and its rank isn't a reflection of how good a player is, not with self-relegators ruining the ladder. I'm in d1 and I'm absolutely trash at this game.

WL is full of the ultimate sweats that don't play rivals (after they've got that first qualification) many of which you're going to face now there are TOTS cards on the line
  • RadioShaq
    19812 posts Moderator
    Good players are probably coming back for tots rewards.
  • 4dvz
    1142 posts Professional
    edited May 2021
    The gameplay is very bad.. all the players feel like they are stuck in the mud maybe because of everyone playing for tots rewards at the same time when EA propably bought their servers from discount market. For me this makes the game feel impossibly hard.
    Not even mentioning that the game mechanics are so random, so there is a very slight chance of actually outplaying an opponent who also knows how to play the game.
  • Started my best ever 4 wins out of 7 now on 15 games still only 4 wins think every game as been 5-4 with me leading at one point lol the BS in the game is funny cant ever be bothered get upset by it just makes me laugh defo last WL may play some games today see if it picks up dont want to miss out on a dupe untradeable ederson
  • BALDUIN
    492 posts An Exciting Prospect
    What server you on?

Come on the Asian Xbox server, my gosh. After living and playing on UK server this is another level, insane difficulty compared to UK
  • Hody
    945 posts Semi-Pro
    So after almost 3 years of PES I got fed up with the Kick Off Glitches, The lang ball spammers and the lag and the unresponsive commands. Gave up on it, went to Fifa. I had fun for a month or two now, until I decided to opt in for the Weekend League as my GF was out of town. Was not expecting much tbh but it was even worse than what I thought.
    The first few games where already harsh, I had no chance and quit early each game. Later a friend told me that I should not have quit within those first 5 games, as the seem to rank me and when I quit my rank does not drop somehow. So easy to say that I was matched only against people much higher rated than me. I am like Div 6 and played against Div 3 and so on and sofort. It was the same pattern each game, dont move your defense, and in offense just skill like there is no tomorrow. There was nothing I could do, even tried 5 atb for the last 2 or 3 games. Ended up with 4 wins out of 29 games - thank god I had not finish them all. The last game I did not play anymore, what is the point if there is no difference between the rewards of 4 or 5 wins - and anyhow I dont think I would won that one.
    So what has all this BS to do with PES. Well I thought I give PES another try. Went into Matchday, the mode I play exclusivle in my PES day, were I rose up to rank 930 something and felt down to just above/below after DP 5. I thought, well we are in DP7 now, so maybe things have changed... Nothing has changed. The first game was kick off glitch long ball buy, the used super cancel to outmuscle even my Veira (was playing France), spammed long ball outmucled me with Auba and scored. No immerson, just used any player for any nation, well its legit, but it ruins the game for me. He was a Brazilian. Second guy was Argentine, no passing, no defending, but always blocked before the game registered my shot. I think I had lag again, as he was the home (host) team. With a proper connection, I would have led easy 2:0 because I twice through on goal but nothing happend when I pressed shot. So I quit at halftime.
    PES is dead since DP5 and all hope there is is for the installment PES22, but the "New Online Football Game" demo or whatever the name was did not make much hope on 22. Plus I must admit Fifa offers more variety, there a goals where you need/must play special teams or nations. Goals you can complete to earn players or other rewards. Plus there is not that much need to spent money because you trade and SBC your way to good/better players. In PES I was only collecting full squads for Matchday, and spent a fortune on spins for IM boxes. I remember just spinning around 60 or 70 times for Torres.
    Tbh the idot in the story is me. Nobody told me to first only play matchday, second collect full squads and third to spent money on spins. Same with Fifa, I knew Weekend League would be hell and it turned out it was. It is the people that ruin the games for the other people who really love football, g, nor does the kickoff glitch, long balls (with braindead CBs) or outmuscling players by using glitches have.
    So Football Games are dead when it come to play online. You must be either a narcistic person that only cares about winning, or someone who does not give a monkeys arse about football, tactics or those things. The community is just toxic on one or the other end of the spectrum if it comes to playing online.
  • Jordonp
    3189 posts National Call-Up
    Hody wrote: »
    So after almost 3 years of PES I got fed up with the Kick Off Glitches, The lang ball spammers and the lag and the unresponsive commands. Gave up on it, went to Fifa. I had fun for a month or two now, until I decided to opt in for the Weekend League as my GF was out of town. Was not expecting much tbh but it was even worse than what I thought.
    The first few games where already harsh, I had no chance and quit early each game. Later a friend told me that I should not have quit within those first 5 games, as the seem to rank me and when I quit my rank does not drop somehow. So easy to say that I was matched only against people much higher rated than me. I am like Div 6 and played against Div 3 and so on and sofort. It was the same pattern each game, dont move your defense, and in offense just skill like there is no tomorrow. There was nothing I could do, even tried 5 atb for the last 2 or 3 games. Ended up with 4 wins out of 29 games - thank god I had not finish them all. The last game I did not play anymore, what is the point if there is no difference between the rewards of 4 or 5 wins - and anyhow I dont think I would won that one.
    So what has all this BS to do with PES. Well I thought I give PES another try. Went into Matchday, the mode I play exclusivle in my PES day, were I rose up to rank 930 something and felt down to just above/below after DP 5. I thought, well we are in DP7 now, so maybe things have changed... Nothing has changed. The first game was kick off glitch long ball buy, the used super cancel to outmuscle even my Veira (was playing France), spammed long ball outmucled me with Auba and scored. No immerson, just used any player for any nation, well its legit, but it ruins the game for me. He was a Brazilian. Second guy was Argentine, no passing, no defending, but always blocked before the game registered my shot. I think I had lag again, as he was the home (host) team. With a proper connection, I would have led easy 2:0 because I twice through on goal but nothing happend when I pressed shot. So I quit at halftime.
    PES is dead since DP5 and all hope there is is for the installment PES22, but the "New Online Football Game" demo or whatever the name was did not make much hope on 22. Plus I must admit Fifa offers more variety, there a goals where you need/must play special teams or nations. Goals you can complete to earn players or other rewards. Plus there is not that much need to spent money because you trade and SBC your way to good/better players. In PES I was only collecting full squads for Matchday, and spent a fortune on spins for IM boxes. I remember just spinning around 60 or 70 times for Torres.
    Tbh the idot in the story is me. Nobody told me to first only play matchday, second collect full squads and third to spent money on spins. Same with Fifa, I knew Weekend League would be hell and it turned out it was. It is the people that ruin the games for the other people who really love football, g, nor does the kickoff glitch, long balls (with braindead CBs) or outmuscling players by using glitches have.
    So Football Games are dead when it come to play online. You must be either a narcistic person that only cares about winning, or someone who does not give a monkeys arse about football, tactics or those things. The community is just toxic on one or the other end of the spectrum if it comes to playing online.

What’s the tl;dr version of this?
  • Gaz7Mac
    494 posts An Exciting Prospect

I don’t think you can measure it based on rivals performance. I have a 2200 SR however have reached Elite once and that was clutched that’s on PS.

Has to be a mental thing imo
  • Hody
    945 posts Semi-Pro
    Jordonp wrote: »
    What’s the tl;dr version of this?
    Boysie91 wrote: »
    I reckon I could read a Harry Potter book quicker than reading this 😥

Just proofs my point...
  • keith210277
    3626 posts National Call-Up
    At least in WL their is elo which makes the matchmaking fair most of the time. I'm a G3 player and am 8-7 in this wl yet in rivals I've lost my last five games. Four of those were against people who had blatantly relegated to do objectives. So as bad as the matchmaking can sometims be in WL at least it's reasonably fair. EA really need to sort out this self relegating nonsense once and for all.
  • Air Diddy
    2190 posts Fans' Favourite
    Lots of casual weekend leaguers have probably left the game

ELO and skill gap has likely narrowed significantly

Well thats my theory

• David12344
    21069 posts Club Captain
    Air Diddy wrote: »
    Lots of casual weekend leaguers have probably left the game

ELO and skill gap has likely narrowed significantly

Well thats my theory

Probably both true.

Only hardcore and I mean real hardcore left.
  • I was 17-3 last week, this week I'm 12-10. Never finished below gold 1 if I finish my games, be lucky to get gold 3 with this gameplay. No movement, slow motion passing and no pace. Gotta love one-sided delay.
  • Gainzy
    1445 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hardcore only left. Usually I’ll hop on for easy wins against kids with bad teams on Saturday mornings, the last couple of weeks it’s been anything but easy.
  • tommyk11
    362 posts Sunday League Hero

I finished elite with 2 games to spare last week. That's not my point. Shouldn't i be matching div 5,4 first few games till i get a good record before matchmaking top players?
    There is only 5% of players in div 1 and out of that i easily beat the 1900-2000 SR players easily. But why in fut champs I'm 8-1 rn and already played 3 extra times and have to defend one goal leads or score winner in last 10 minutes of game. Only won one game 3-0 RQ, if he stayed he could have come back

20210501-174519.jpg
    20210501-174543.jpg

At least you have lots of friends playing Fifa. I just talk about it to myself.
  • what3v3r
    1132 posts Professional
    WL has been hard all year , and I have been hearing people say before TOTS that casual lefts and would return for TOTS. Then on TOTS people would say that only sweats were playing for rewards, and now people say that the casuals left. I always got elite with easy on previous Fifa and have to sweaty my balls on this one every single WL. I honestly don't know why it is so hard this year, I am being croqueta canceled and nutmeg from my very first games