First-time ball roll

RedPlanet1986
167 posts Has Potential To Be Special
Apologies for a very basic question but I can't manage to do a first-time ball roll. I hold the right analogue stick in a certain direction before the ball arrives at the player, but the player does a ball flick instead. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• truegunn3r
    12964 posts World Class
    edited April 2021
    I don’t think you can do them. It is unrealistic in real life, not impossible but fluky if someone pulls it off in real life as the pass has to be very slow and subtle. Approaching balls come at a certain speed and trajectory so it is very hard to perform a first touch on top of the ball rather than infront or to the side. If you don’t understand what I mean then physically try it yourself.
  • RedPlanet1986
    I agree with you, and the only reason I've been trying to do them is because I saw YouTube videos last week of some people doing it quite easily - so I thought it was just a basic move in FIFA.
  • truegunn3r
    12964 posts World Class
    I agree with you, and the only reason I've been trying to do them is because I saw YouTube videos last week of some people doing it quite easily - so I thought it was just a basic move in FIFA.
    I’d like to see those videos. I’m assuming they involve some type of button cancellation to exploit a broken mechanic.
  • RedPlanet1986
    (at 3:05)

I might just be misinterpreting what he's doing though
  • RedPlanet1986
    Or maybe it only works in very specific orientation like in the example in the video
  • Barry Allannnn
    1896 posts Play-Off Hero
    You can definitely do first time ball rolls not sure why people are saying you can't. Use it all the time on the wings when the opponent plays a through ball and Inger there first to move it away from the attacker.it won't work of you're playing a pass directly into your players feet through.
  • RedPlanet1986
    it won't work of you're playing a pass directly into your players feet through.

Aha! This is what I was doing wrong. Thanks for clarifying!