Skill ratings

PlacidCasual77
149 posts Has Potential To Be Special
Skill ratings are an absolute ❤️❤️❤️❤️ this year in the middle divisions. There are no tight games anymore. I either smash someone or get smashed myself. How can two players of such disparate abilities be in the same division? It’s maddening. Skill-based matchmaking doesn’t exist nobody is in their correct place anyway!

Comments

• Gazmac_868
    2895 posts Fans' Favourite
    This is a result of EA leaving self relegating unchecked. They keep pandering to these cheats giving them free run. This is the reason rivals is in a complete disaster.
  • kraid
    7637 posts League Winner
    Skill ratings are an absolute ❤️❤️❤️❤️ this year in the middle divisions. There are no tight games anymore. I either smash someone or get smashed myself. How can two players of such disparate abilities be in the same division? It’s maddening. Skill-based matchmaking doesn’t exist nobody is in their correct place anyway!

You think it’s bad in lower divisions when in div 1 you can legitimately be 1900 sp and get matched with someone 2400+
  • PlacidCasual77
    kraid wrote: »

You think it’s bad in lower divisions when in div 1 you can legitimately be 1900 sp and get matched with someone 2400+

Yeah, that’s bad dude. But at least there’s comfort in knowing you’re definitely being beaten by a player who is in their correct division. Skill ratings mean nothing in division 4.
  • Cabbstar
    115 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    kraid wrote: »

Well it's just as bad in lower divisions people relagate from div 1 to div 5, I am in div 4 at present and the relegation skill rating is around 1200 sp that is a 700 sp difference. I think they need an extra division between the bottom of div 1 and the top to make it fairer but I don't think it will stop the relagating
  • PlacidCasual77
    edited April 2021
    I’m not really talking about relegation - I know it will definitely be a contributing factor. But the skill ratings are an absolute mess. I batter people every other match, in between getting sparked myself. The extremes are just insane. I don’t believe I’m playing self relegators every other match, there must be more to it! Similarly, some of the people I play shouldn’t be anywhere near division 4. It’s just weird.
  • All4fun1991
    2846 posts Fans' Favourite
    I’m still not sure why I find WL unbearable but I can go through Rivals like it’s nothing...When I play Rivals even without focusing on the game I still win but WL I could feel my brain cells bursting one by one because of how focus I’m.....I also get beaten in the worst possible ways like leading 3-0 and ended up losing 3-4 in the last minutes...Things that would make you throw the tv out of the window.
  • Gazmac_868
    edited April 2021
    I’m not really talking about relegation - I know it will definitely be a contributing factor. But the skill ratings are an absolute mess. I batter people every other match, in between getting sparked myself. The extremes are just insane. I can’t believe I’m playing self relegators every match. Similarly, some of the people I play shouldn’t be anywhere near division 4. It’s just weird.

It's the knock on effect of the self relegating though mate. If a sizeable percentage of people relegate then that skews the whole system for everyone. Obviously not every opponent you face is a self relegater.
  • PlacidCasual77
    edited April 2021
    I’m still not sure why I find WL unbearable but I can go through Rivals like it’s nothing...When I play Rivals even without focusing on the game I still win but WL I could feel my brain cells bursting one by one because of how focus I’m.....I also get beaten in the worst possible ways like leading 3-0 and ended up losing 3-4 in the last minutes...Things that would make you throw the tv out of the window.

Im the opposite. I don’t mind WL because the perception is the matches are random and you could be facing people way better/worse than you, so I find those results easier to tolerate. Rivals should be close. Games shouldn’t be completely one sided because you are meant to be playing people at your level, and it just doesn’t happen often for me.

• PlacidCasual77
    Gazmac_868 wrote: »
    I’m not really talking about relegation - I know it will definitely be a contributing factor. But the skill ratings are an absolute mess. I batter people every other match, in between getting sparked myself. The extremes are just insane. I can’t believe I’m playing self relegators every match. Similarly, some of the people I play shouldn’t be anywhere near division 4. It’s just weird.

It's the knock on effect of the self relegating though mate. If a sizeable percentage of people relegate then that skews the whole system for everyone. Obviously not every opponent you face is a self relegater.

I agree that it is a major issue. But when I’m beating someone 6-0 and they have a higher skill rating it kind of knocks that argument. How have they avoided relegators in order to get to div 4, when, IMO they aren’t anywhere near good enough for it.

• Springveldt
    6656 posts Big Money Move
    edited April 2021
    I’m not really talking about relegation - I know it will definitely be a contributing factor. But the skill ratings are an absolute mess. I batter people every other match, in between getting sparked myself. The extremes are just insane. I don’t believe I’m playing self relegators every other match, there must be more to it! Similarly, some of the people I play shouldn’t be anywhere near division 4. It’s just weird.
    It's connection. Some games it's great and you smash people and the next your AI stand around doing nothing and you end up getting battered.

I had a great connection for over a week and went from 1480 or so to 1925. I had been bouncing around 1450-1650 for most of the season until then.

Honestly, there isn't much between guys at 1500 and guys at 1900, the guy with the best connection will win most of the time imho.
  • Gazmac_868

I agree that it is a major issue. But when I’m beating someone 6-0 and they have a higher skill rating it kind of knocks that argument. How have they avoided relegators in order to get to div 4, when, IMO they aren’t anywhere near good enough for it.

I find the people who I batter always have a higher skill rating but always when I get smashed its almost always someone with a lower skill rating. Bizarre EA must have all the data on this.
  • Cabbstar
    115 posts Has Potential To Be Special

This is it exactly some have been relagated as the knock on effect of self relagating and some have been promoted above their level due to the same it's ridiculous so people just give up no fun being bent over every match
  • PlacidCasual77
    edited April 2021
    It's connection. Some games it's great and you smash people and the next your AI stand around doing nothing and you end up getting battered.

I had a great connection for over a week and went from 1480 or so to 1925. I had been bouncing around 1450-1650 for most of the season until then.

Honestly, there isn't much between guys at 1500 and guys at 1900, the guy with the best connection will win most of the time imho.

That’s this thing tho, it kind of makes you wonder what the point of Rivals is, if the entire division system is upside down? EA really could do with revamping the whole experience but I’m not sure they have the appetite for it.
  • PlacidCasual77
    edited April 2021

I find the people who I batter always have a higher skill rating but always when I get smashed its almost always someone with a lower skill rating. Bizarre EA must have all the data on this.

It’d be great if there was a bit more info on your opponent, perhaps similar to what you get in seasons. Maybe your opponent’s highest ranking and division. That way you could get a firmer grip on your ability level. For example, I played someone and it was noted in profile that their highest division was 2 with 1750 ranking, at least I’d feel less useless for losing that one!

• David12344
    20160 posts Club Captain

It’d be great if there was a bit more info on your opponent, perhaps similar to what you get in seasons. Maybe your opponent’s highest ranking and division. That way you could get a firmer grip on your ability level. For example, I played someone and it was noted in profile that their highest division was 2 with 1750 ranking, at least I’d feel less useless for losing that one!

Great idea to see where they have been playing. Would help a lot !

I also would then feel better when beating them.
  • IraqBruin
    2242 posts Fans' Favourite

Matchmaking is impacted through relegation in more than one way:

1-A relegator finished his business and is going up at your expense.
    2-Someone who gained points through facing relegators gets smashed by you.
    3-Someone who went lower than you due to losing to relegators when in reality his natural rating is higher than you.
    4-People who gave up playing narrowed the pool of players you're getting matched up against at a different time which widens the geographical search area.

I live in VA-USA, I have repeatedly been matched up against people from Western Germany (Aachen, Bonn, Essen, Dortmund and Cologne) and South America (Ecuador and Colombia), I can only guess why.
  • Diddymow
    4903 posts National Call-Up
    We'll see in FIFA 22 if EA actually care about this or not. They'll likely run an analysis of if it's worth upsetting the relegators to keep the casuals playing.
  • Gazmac_868
    Diddymow wrote: »
    We'll see in FIFA 22 if EA actually care about this or not. They'll likely run an analysis of if it's worth upsetting the relegators to keep the casuals playing.

Unfortunately my guess is they ll continue to pander to these relegaters.