Is there a button (combo?) to jockeying more closely that I'm not aware of?

Gibiati
509 posts An Exciting Prospect
Just curious. I'm an 1850 rated (have peaked above 2k but hovering at 1850) gold 1/elite 3 player, so I consider myself decent but not great (or probably not even good by some standards). But the one thing that consistently escapes me is in all my competitive/difficult matches, it feels like I can't come close to their ball carrier 90% of the time, yet EVERY single time I touch the ball one of his defenders is literally just stuck to me like glue. Its not constant pressure tactic or overload ball side or anything like that, because they would be exhausted in 20m and they're able to keep this up all game no problem. When I jockey (L2 + R2 or just L2 sometimes) I do mostly fine but I can't close the gaps the way my opposition does and I just don't know why. Obviously, I move my analog stick towards them, but they just don't close the same way.

What are they doing that I'm not grasping? Its not tackling, they just walk up to my player and let the game auto-tackle during their jockey

It feels like there's some third tackling button I'm unaware of and everyone else but me is enjoying it. I know that's not true, but Its hard to accept that the reason is just "They're reacting that much faster than me" when sometimes I react/read the play insanely early but just can't get my defender to stick/pressure them the same as they do to me.

Any advice?

Comments

• shepj6
    1689 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited March 2021
    Know exactly how you feel, I’m in the lower reaches of div 1, g1/g2 player so not an elite player and I feel your pain, feel exactly the same. I can only asssume it is a combination of d-pad team press and press after possession loss tactic.
  • Paul9619
    720 posts Semi-Pro
    edited March 2021
    Yes I would like to know this too. This has been bugging me for a while. I switched assisted jockeying off yesterday to see if it helped but no such luck.

It’s odd as the opponents you are talking about literally track your every move and stick close to you like glue even if I do completely random RS or agile dribbling (which would lead me to think it’s the AI rather than a human input).

So I agree there must be something we are missing. I hope it’s not one of those Zen devices making pressing easier to achieve.

I’ll be surprised if you get any advice of that kind on this forum. I think people see it as a “once you know you know!” kind of knowledge and they won’t want to lose their advantage.
  • number7rocky
    8560 posts League Winner
    /elite 3? Really, that's not even D1 and low D1 is G2/G1 standard
  • Destin8or
    5682 posts Big Money Move

Come again?
  • number7rocky
    8560 posts League Winner
    Destin8or wrote: »

Come again?

Says he's a gold 1/elite 3 player but only has an 1850 skill rating, seems unlikely. (not the gold 1 part) but I doubt he consistently gets elite, maybe got it once or twice on a very good week at a stretch.
  • Gibiati
    Glad to know I'm not alone in this guys.
    I think people see it as a “once you know you know!” kind of knowledge and they won’t want to lose their advantage.

lol I even bought coaching from that FifaAnalyst youtuber (great guy, great Fifa coach) and he gave me an incredible 30 minute breakdown of my gameplay footage I sent him but never once answered that when I told him at the beginning that it was my biggest concern. Maybe even the youtube pros are in on the secret! :joy:
  • Paul9619
    720 posts Semi-Pro
    Gibiati wrote: »
    I think people see it as a “once you know you know!” kind of knowledge and they won’t want to lose their advantage.

lol I even bought coaching from that FifaAnalyst youtuber (great guy, great Fifa coach) and he gave me an incredible 30 minute breakdown of my gameplay footage I sent him but never once answered that when I told him at the beginning that it was my biggest concern. Maybe even the youtube pros are in on the secret! :joy:

The other explanation could be some kind of delay. If your opponent is seeing the game before you then it would seem that they are always on top of you 🤷🏻‍♂️ I am not sold on that theory though and I think we are just missing the golden nugget of information.
  • Foxsake
    3875 posts National Call-Up

You paid some 1 to give you coaching on a broken game 🙈 Hurd it all now
  • Vanch
    1375 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited March 2021
    I'm convinced we're playing against the computer sometimes, with no real person on the other end. Some of the evidence is ridiculous. Teams playing exactly the same way they do in Squad Battles, opponent NEVER (and I mean NEVER) accepting your friend request even if you sent it months ago, and generic user IDs with "This player has made their profile private" when you check their profile. These are the same people who when you Google their username, there's not a single online result for them and gives you the following message:

`Your search did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

Make sure that all words are spelled correctly.
    Try different keywords.
    Try more general keywords.`

9 times out of 10 a person with a user ID will have used the same one elsewhere and it would appear in Google search results, whereas the majority of the time that I come up against someone who has a private profile and never accepts their friend request, they don't have any hits when searching for their name on Google.
    Post edited by Vanch on
  • Paul9619
    720 posts Semi-Pro
    Vanch wrote: »
    I'm convinced we're playing against the computer sometimes, with no real person on the other end. Some of the evidence is ridiculous. Teams playing exactly the same way they do in Squad Battles, opponent NEVER (and I mean NEVER) accepting your friend request even if you sent it months ago, and generic user IDs with "This player has made their profile private" when you check their profile. These are the same people who when you Google their username, there's not a single online result for them and gives you the following message:

Suggestions:

Try different keywords.

9 times out of 10 a person with a user ID will have used the same one elsewhere and it would appear in Google search results, whereas the majority of the time that I come up against someone who has a private profile and never accepts their friend request, they don't have any hits when searching for their name on Google.

I made a post about this the other day. It wasn’t as detailed as yours but that’s how I feel
  • Foxsake
    3875 posts National Call-Up
    Foxsake wrote: »

You paid some 1 to give you coaching on a broken game 🙈 Hurd it all now

Yes I paid someone 20 dollars to give me an amazing 30 minute recorded breakdown of my gameplay footage and give me advice and tips, since then in 2 months I have gone up from 1600 to almost 1900 trying to use as much of the advice as possible.

The game is broken. Who cares? Are you denying that pros exist? Do you want to go play a pro and get wooped 7-0 so you believe they exist? Because they do exist. Its a broken game, and yet they exist, people who will beat me and you in any match, effortlessly, regardless of gameplay or connection or anything. Why do you think? Because skill still matters in broken games.

I am trying to be as good as I can in a game that is my only online competitive game played, rather than spend 20 for the next garbage batch of Fifa points to waste on packs, I spent it on a very respected youtuber to give me great advice and its made a big difference for me.

Fair play. If gameplay was consistently good I can c y you would
    But playing with players that don’t move etc and r stuck in mud is very hard to beat
  • Arsenalman
    3829 posts National Call-Up

Suggestions:

Try different keywords.

Very interesting theory 🤔 but would ea go through all of this? Playing squad battles is extremely boring and I don’t think I’ve experienced this in weekend league.
  • RemyS
    921 posts Professional

Suggestions:

Try different keywords.

Do you also think COVID 19 was generated by Bill gates and friends , and that 9/11 never existed or was made by the US government ? ;)
  • MIG40970
    811 posts Semi-Pro
    Ok. I fall into one of your categories. I have a user name that I use only in Fifa, I delete all friends requests and do not accept messages. It doesn't mean that what you said is not possible, just that there are people like me.

Suggestions:

Try different keywords.

Ok. I fall into one of your categories. I have a user name that I use only in Fifa, I delete all friends requests and do not accept messages. It doesn't mean that what you said is not possible, just that there are people like me.
  • TheMightyBee
    4046 posts National Call-Up
    The AI and high pressure has been so buffed it's boring, passing is a joke and your players never react and just get bullied off the ball where yours bounce off even when a clean tackle.

Basically they have ❤️❤️❤️❤️ the game, it's a chaotic mess.
  • kraid
    7637 posts League Winner
    Just curious. I'm an 1850 rated (have peaked above 2k but hovering at 1850) gold 1/elite 3 player, so I consider myself decent but not great (or probably not even good by some standards). But the one thing that consistently escapes me is in all my competitive/difficult matches, it feels like I can't come close to their ball carrier 90% of the time, yet EVERY single time I touch the ball one of his defenders is literally just stuck to me like glue. Its not constant pressure tactic or overload ball side or anything like that, because they would be exhausted in 20m and they're able to keep this up all game no problem. When I jockey (L2 + R2 or just L2 sometimes) I do mostly fine but I can't close the gaps the way my opposition does and I just don't know why. Obviously, I move my analog stick towards them, but they just don't close the same way.

What are they doing that I'm not grasping? Its not tackling, they just walk up to my player and let the game auto-tackle during their jockey

It feels like there's some third tackling button I'm unaware of and everyone else but me is enjoying it. I know that's not true, but Its hard to accept that the reason is just "They're reacting that much faster than me" when sometimes I react/read the play insanely early but just can't get my defender to stick/pressure them the same as they do to me.

Any advice?

Imo it’s connection based. I have games where I’m on both sides of this. Sometimes I can mirror a guys every move, sometimes I cant get near them. It’s nothing they are doing differently, no fancy moves or tricks. It’s simply that sometimes there’s a tiny amount of delay to my inputs, so every time they change direction i cant keep up and fall a tiny bit away from them.

The other time I notice it is when I do a ball roll from a sprint. Sometimes I do this and the defender runs a yard or two past me, allowing me to turn and pass the ball, other times they stop dead as soon as I do and I have no room to move. Again I get this same thing when I’m on the defensive side. I’m reacting in the same way, at the same time, often anticipating the change in direction. But sometimes I can stay close and sometimes I can’t.
  • Gibiati
    @kraid Unfortunately I think you hit the nail on the head. I took a long break from Fifa and it seems inconsistent connection issues now dominate the gameplay flow. When I read your explanation and really stop and think about the games that frustrate me, it really does perfectly fit that I was just on a slightly longer delay and it was just the difference needed for me to never press closely or get ahead of the play.

Much like you, I am doing the same exact things when I somehow get dramatically different results, so your story fits perfectly.
  • Gibiati
    Foxsake wrote: »

Fair play. If gameplay was consistently good I can c y you would
    But playing with players that don’t move etc and r stuck in mud is very hard to beat

Honestly at this point its as much just me working on my overall skillset for future Fifas as much as this garbage current version of the game
  • Evilp3te
    199 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Ok here is my theory on this

Team FORM

I have noticed that when my team is on a winning streak..my players all jockey so much closer to the attackers and as a result tackle more efficiently as the winning streak continues.

The same goes for scoring goals, where my players will score harder chances when the team is playing well.

As soon as I lose a game...its like a reset on the team and the players form.

The very next game... there feels like a barrier between my defender jockeying and trying to put a foot in on the attacker. Also the amount of goals I score drops dramatically. Chances seem harder to create and finish.

I beleive that the pro players get on winning streaks much more consistently as they are better at the game and therefore see this form within the team over longer periods.
  • SuperRob
    2051 posts Fans' Favourite
    It’s definitely connection based 100%. If you have good connection then your players will move faster and just be all over your opponent. On the other hand if you are on the wrong side then your players will look like they have just come off a pub crawl. They wont get close to your opponent. If you turn the defender will still be right behind you no matter what you do . You can’t create that extra half yard to get a pass away to the side or turn the defender. When defending with poor connection the opponent can move either way and will pull away slightly from the defender. Nothing you can do about this type of gameplay until EA goes into more detail about what causes it.
  • lippyone
    2644 posts National Call-Up
    I have noticed in some games my opponents full backs are literally glued to my wingers, so no chance of a through ball to the winger from my defender as he is constantly covered very tightly.
    Yet my full back who is also on stay back is nowhere near their winger.
  • Jamieshore22
    2027 posts Fans' Favourite
    Does anyone use the man mark tactic? I haven’t but I’m sick of seeing my midfielders not even looking in the right direction when my opponent is in behind me, never mind tracking back.

I also think that part of this could be those that play 10 depth and constant pressure, so the opponent always feels much closer to you?
  • RobotMajomInas
    197 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    It´s all about the Constant Pressure, literally you can do nothing when it´s switched on and you have a delay, it reduce your players ability A LOT.
    Today I played 2 matches and I lead all of them until the 75-78 minutes when my opponents just turned it on.
    Guess what happened my Van Bergen with 99 sprint speed and my Moments Dembelé could not run faster WITHOUT THE BALL than His players WITH THE BALL.
    It´s a shame, A base Leroy Sané ( who was tired ) could run faster with the ball than my fresh players.
    This is the problem since EA introduced the new tactic system the CP is so broken.
    I remember in FIFA 19 it was so broken you could turn it on and score 4-5 goals in one HALF.
    They adjusted it but it´s still OP as hell.
    Why they just don´t add the 2nd man press instead of these silly tactics and can we get back the old tactics panel.
    The new one is useless, There is only 2 options when you lower it aka drop back or when you put everything on max all out.
    I have tried all of the formations and all of the settings, I have watched a tons of video how does it work but the difference between 4 or 6 depth is nothing.
    Back then I could set up a lot of things and I could adjust my defense and my attack according what suits me better.
    Now the best thing is use everything on balanced and use an other slot where you set up the CP that´s it.
  • Thefranchise92
    6648 posts Big Money Move
    It might be A button or X on PS. I think it’s contain.
  • IraqBruin
    2242 posts Fans' Favourite
    kraid wrote: »

Any advice?

Imo it’s connection based. I have games where I’m on both sides of this. Sometimes I can mirror a guys every move, sometimes I cant get near them. It’s nothing they are doing differently, no fancy moves or tricks. It’s simply that sometimes there’s a tiny amount of delay to my inputs, so every time they change direction i cant keep up and fall a tiny bit away from them.

The other time I notice it is when I do a ball roll from a sprint. Sometimes I do this and the defender runs a yard or two past me, allowing me to turn and pass the ball, other times they stop dead as soon as I do and I have no room to move. Again I get this same thing when I’m on the defensive side. I’m reacting in the same way, at the same time, often anticipating the change in direction. But sometimes I can stay close and sometimes I can’t.

This is what happens to me all the time, I try to adjust mid game but sometimes the connection stability changes in either direction of the spectrum. That is when I start playing passive defense (which I am not as good at).
  • VJAX
    175 posts Has Potential To Be Special

Suggestions:

Try different keywords.

So, I haven’t played Rivals consistently (other than to complete an objective here and there) and today I got matched against random characters IDs that were anywhere from 400 SR below me (I barely won it with 90 rated squad again bunch gold players) to the most recent one that was 150SR above me and wiped the floor with me, winning 9-0. I mean matchmaking on PS5 can’t be that bad that EA would replace actual players with AI, can it?:)
  • Mmandras
    6269 posts Big Money Move
    Constant pressure that's being turned on and off to save stamina, must be since that's the only thing to stick players like glue. Team press does nothing.

If you turn on constant pressure while rubberbanding you can see AI attacking and sticking to opponent as soon as he touches the ball.

It's a little bit harder to notice when there's lots movement in the real game but it's gotta be it.

Possible modificafors could be also agressive interceptions on all cards.

The worst is when opponent turns in on when your goalkeeper has to give the ball to defender it couls be easily intercepted by attacker who are pressing like mad. I've lost countless games because of it.
  • Thefranchise92
    6648 posts Big Money Move
    edited March 2021

Suggestions:

Try different keywords.

I’ve seen it first hand. There was a time I tried playing with the correct controller in an online game of fifa, maybe fifa 17or 19. Whilst I was fiddling round with my controller trying to swap batterriee and what not, the computer were playing for me in a fut champs game.

And I don’t mean ai defending I mean, like passing, moving crossing etc