Makelele vs Essien

RedPlanet1986
167 posts Has Potential To Be Special
I'm deciding between Prime Makelele vs Base Essien vs Mid Essien for a quick/responsive CDM who won't be terrible at passing. Mid Essien is around 600k and the other 2 options are around 1 mil each. ANy recommendations?

Can I go for Mid Essien and save the extra coin or choosing one of the other 2 worth it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Noo
    1944 posts Fans' Favourite
    Can only comment on mid Makelele, he's fantastic. Kante but so much stronger in the tackle, not as good on the ball as Kante but a better CDM. Work rates are fantastic too, never out of position.
  • Prime Makelele is excellent but I would wait as his moments is out tomorrow.
  • RedPlanet1986
    Thank you! I will wait for the PIM and potentially buy the prime in a week or so when prices drop further, but it seems Makelele is the way to go.
  • DanishDynamiteUS
    1905 posts Fans' Favourite
    I quite like Essien. Kante was good, but his height and passing never cut it for me.

Essien is both mobile and has the size, packed him in the icon PP and he’ll stay for a while.
  • RedPlanet1986
    Which Essien version was it? And was the passing decent enough?
  • DanishDynamiteUS
    Which Essien version was it? And was the passing decent enough?

I got Prime now, have base as well. Base is fast and agile for his size.

Sorry, just realized I was thinking of the prime with passing hehe.. Base is same as Kante with passing, however you get that extra pace, height, reach and strength.
  • RedPlanet1986
    Ahh yes, I would absolutely love the prime, but outside my budget sadly! Makelele prime or base Essien might be my next best options.
  • nsholmberg11
    2349 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ahh yes, I would absolutely love the prime, but outside my budget sadly! Makelele prime or base Essien might be my next best options.

Think you nailed it here, seems accurate.

Been wondering same thing myself but I also could go for PIM Pirlo or base Guilitt which is tempting
  • Nickthegreek20
    2381 posts Fans' Favourite
    Just don’t get mid Essien, he was awful! Slow, clunky and just went missing in every game
  • DanishDynamiteUS

Think you nailed it here, seems accurate.

Been wondering same thing myself but I also could go for PIM Pirlo or base Guilitt which is tempting

Base Gullit is no good, don’t do it.
  • Tylercftla
    588 posts An Exciting Prospect
    had Mid Essien and liked him but sold when I packed Prime Essien. Used base Mak... when he first came out. Good for Def bad for shooting. Like his responsiveness though.
  • RedPlanet1986
    Just don’t get mid Essien, he was awful! Slow, clunky and just went missing in every game

Ok that's actually really good to know - he was definitely one of my options. Makes sense that he's not as good, he's almost half the price than the other 2.
  • Nickthegreek20

Ok that's actually really good to know - he was definitely one of my options. Makes sense that he's not as good, he's almost half the price than the other 2.

No problem, got him from the mid icon during TOTY. Was happy at first but after trying him a few games he was genuinely dreadful. Went into the mid/prime pack SBC and got prime Rio, so at least he was good for something 😂
  • nsholmberg11

FWIW I thought the Essien from Swaps last year, base I think, was awesome. Stayed in my team til the end. Different experiences I guess
  • Nickthegreek20

FWIW I thought the Essien from Swaps last year, base I think, was awesome. Stayed in my team til the end. Different experiences I guess

Base has +6 pace which makes a big difference, Mid was always getting out run or just be too slow into the tackle
  • nsholmberg11
    Fair enough, I get that @Nickthegreek20
  • alexanderk26
    1894 posts Play-Off Hero
    I was contemplating the same thing. I use storyline Duncan on 8 chem a lot as I like him in game and wanted him on 10 but mid essien pace seems worrying and 700k+ on the base is just too much