I need a good defensive formation to see out the end of a game?

Stejens
558 posts An Exciting Prospect
So I was 3-0 up In WL with an amazing team vs Rooney eoa and the rest sucked. 70th minute I switch to 5 at the back and drop back, low depth etc just to see out the game....

I lost 4-3.

Does someone have a tactic/formation/instructions that actually work for seeing out the game?

Comments

• GeorgeGervin
    2659 posts Fans' Favourite
    I honestly find changing to a formation like that and changing your mentality just invites the pressure of “holding on”. You were doing something right to be up 3-0 at the 70th. Stick to that.
  • RadioShaq
    18958 posts Moderator
    4231 is probably the most defensive and able to hold possession. You will still lack the stopping of 1-2s that a 5 atb would bring but you gain possession.
  • Stejens
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    4231 is probably the most defensive and able to hold possession. You will still lack the stopping of 1-2s that a 5 atb would bring but you gain possession.

Could give it a try, do you suggest drop back? I can't find a formation where I can hold possession well, the one I tried to see out the game was awful.
  • Stejens
    I honestly find changing to a formation like that and changing your mentality just invites the pressure of “holding on”. You were doing something right to be up 3-0 at the 70th. Stick to that.

I feel that, but I controlled most of the game and then started getting hammered around the 70th, nothing was working, which is why I went defensive to try and hold out the win.
  • RadioShaq
    18958 posts Moderator
    5-5 balanced with everyone on stay back should work. When you get the ball just pass it around. If he gets bored and pulls everyone out then you can go for a goal and score otherwise just pass it around.
  • colm96
    329 posts Sunday League Hero
    For me it’s 4231, 3 depth 3 width - drop back and all players on come back bar striker to hold the ball up top. Once you’re okay at passing can easily hold the play up by playing up the wings. The one thing I never do is pass it around the back as people go ultra attacking in the last 15-20 mins while losing.
  • Stejens
    colm96 wrote: »
    For me it’s 4231, 3 depth 3 width - drop back and all players on come back bar striker to hold the ball up top. Once you’re okay at passing can easily hold the play up by playing up the wings. The one thing I never do is pass it around the back as people go ultra attacking in the last 15-20 mins while losing.

And your offensive choices?

Thanks though I will try them both 👍
  • P1stolpete187
    6374 posts Big Money Move
    I don’t change my formation when I’m winning I just try and keep the ball to see the game out the worst thing you can do is drop back and invite pressure.
  • Aspas10
    695 posts Semi-Pro
    If you're 3-0 up then you're probably the better player or doing something right. Just go for the throat, only be a little more conservative so you don't get hit on the counter.
    I bring on 76 Zarate and try to score with him, when I'm at 3-0. So I'm not focusing on trying to counter what the opposition is doing/defending my lead/clock watching. My sole focus is trying to add another.