Russian Premier League 2016/17

Sabo
6818 posts Big Money Move
edited November 2016
z96UVRe.png?1
Russian Football Premier League/Российская Футбольная Премьер-Лига
A thread to discuss all things related to the Russian Premier League, including Russian National Team things I suppose. A niche, intriguing and certainly controversial league among the rising powers in European football. Welcome.

Standings
26ca605c31e3db299d1a7bb8b891bcfd.png
Gameweek 15 Fixtures
9f51dab3301e3f890f98c790ba208581.png

Top Scorers
d2ad1e3c88c5ceef5e67aacb42f2ef52.png
Most Assists
181cdc7c2f7fc86f7cae5cadf29f97d5.png

Related Websites
English Version of the Official RFPL Site (not very well translated)
RussianFootballNews
Futbolgrad.com - More general Post-Soviet Football Things

People/Accounts Worth Following on Twitter
RFPL Official Account (In Russian)
RussianFootballNews
Toke Theilade
Saul Pope

I hope you will all enjoy reading this thread and indeed posting in it, thank you.
Post edited by Sabo on

Comments

• Dan13
    4693 posts National Call-Up
    Kuban Krasnodar >>
  • Sabo
    Dan13 wrote: »
    Kuban Krasnodar >>
    A good wee side, somewhat eclipsed by FC Krasnodar of late. Does this penchant for Kuban have anything to do with Gheorghe Bucur? He's been a great servant to them.
  • Dan13
    Sabo wrote: »
    Kuban Krasnodar >>
    A good wee side, somewhat eclipsed by FC Krasnodar of late. Does this penchant for Kuban have anything to do with Gheorghe Bucur? He's been a great servant to them.

Him and Dan Petrescu
  • Sabo
    Sabo wrote: »
    Kuban Krasnodar >>

Him and Dan Petrescu
    Ah yes, the Dan Petrescu days when Kuban first reached the promised land of the RPL. I must admit that I think Viktor Goncharenko has been their best manager over the last few years, I still feel his dismissal very unjust given the record he had. 5th when he was fired and yet they finished the season 10th. Daft.
  • Sloosh
    6757 posts Big Money Move
    Interesting.

What drew you to following the Russian Premier League, @Sabo?
  • ffs Martan
    9822 posts League Winner
    Sloosh wrote: »
    Interesting.

He's an intolerably obnoxious hipster.
  • Sabo
    Interesting.

I was, like many, enchanted by the brilliance of the Russian national team at Euro 2008. I was but a mere slip of a lad at the time, but their performances piqued my interest in Russian football. It was not until a while later, however, that I really acted on this interest and got into following the Russian game. My knowledge isn't up to the standard of many others, but I feel as though I've learned a lot watching Russian football over the last 4 years or so.
  • stickey
    14699 posts Has That Special Something
    Still haven't decided which RPL team to fanboy. :disappointed: Might treat it how I treat the MLS, just enjoy the football.
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    Kuban Krasnodar >>
    HAHAHAHAHAH

• Andy
    7880 posts League Winner
    Interesting.

He's a hipster
  • Dan13
    Ash wrote: »
    Kuban Krasnodar >>
    HAHAHAHAHAH

What's so funny?
  • Sabo
    Reports emerging that, as expected, Leonid Slutskiy will take charge of the Russian National Team in the next few days while also staying on at CSKA for the time being. The obvious appointment in many ways given that Slutskiy is one of few Russian managers that have achieved prolonged success. Will be interesting to see how he gets on juggling duties with club and country.
  • Sabo
    Lokomotiv's 3-1 win over Anzhi earlier was an interesting watch. Skuletic impressed again, he's on course for a good season by the looks of things. Same goes for Lukman Haruna at Anzhi, he linked up well with Boli, frequently posing a threat on the counter-attack. The real game-changer was the introduction of Maicon mid-way through the 2nd half, he showed good movement to beat Ali Gadzhibekov to the ball and head home on the run to put Loko ahead. Plaudits must go to Kasaev for a fine finish, curling the ball past Pomazan from the edge of the box, but Maicon's backheel was also instrumental in the 3rd goal, catching the Anzhi defence completely off guard to find Kasaev.

I think Anzhi will be an interesting watch this season, it almost feels as though this year we'll see what they can manage on merit rather than on the back of Kerimov's wealth. They may well have enough about them to stay up on their RPL return.
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    Yeah, I'm hopeful Anzhi stay up. Their project is something to be admired, but the way they implemented it was reckless. Much better them stay up than clubs like UFA stay up.
  • stickey
    CSKA bottling it in Europe. :disappointed:
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    stickey wrote: »
    They shouldn't even be there in the first place...

• stickey
    No, they're rightfully there. Shame they're bottling it though.
  • Sabo
    Agreed, towards the end of the season they showed their experience and prowess in sneaking back into the final CL spot, but today's performance was highly unconvincing.

I'm still not sold on CSKA's options up front, it's something that they need to resolve very quickly. At the moment it's just Musa, whose finishing leaves plenty to be desired, and the unproven Carlos Strandberg. I suppose they have Panchenko as well, but he isn't a goalscorer at all. Far too reliant on the goals scored by their midfield.
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    Behave
  • Sabo
    Convincing 2-0 win for Krasnodar in EL Qualifying against Slovan Bratislava earlier this evening. I have to say that Krasnodar are an absolute joy to watch going forward, they're such a slick unit at times. He hasn't played much so far but I think getting Stefan Strandberg on a free transfer is a particularly astute signing, he'll be a big player for them in the future I'm sure.

Can't say that I watched the game but Rubin managed a 3-2 win away to Sturm Graz, looks like it was quite the eventful match.
  • Sabo
    Spartak vs Rubin is turning into a battle of the goalkeepers right now, some unbelievable saves from both Ryzhikov and Rebrov. Exciting, end to end game between two well-matched sides.
  • stickey
    Spartak into the dizzy heights of fourth place.
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    This has been a dreadful start so far, we usually peak later on anyways
  • Sabo
    Spartak into the dizzy heights of fourth place.
    The story of Spartak in recent years dictates that it will all fall apart in the next few weeks. Impressed with the work Alenichev has done so far though.
  • stickey
    Some start by CSKA here.
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    Would love it to be Sparta to serve up a plate of justice with a nice dressing
  • Sabo
    Shambolic defending from CSKA there. Embarrassing.
  • stickey
    As if Krasnodar would stand a chance against a team of this caliber. :D
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    we would've completely destroyed them
  • stickey
    we would've completely destroyed them
    :D