Do goalkeepers need a rework?

Eddieww
522 posts An Exciting Prospect
I'm seeing more Nick Pope and Alfonse Areola cards this weekend league than I am "top-end" goalkeepers. I'm seeing 81/82 rated goalkeepers pull off incredible saves from top end strikers at almost point blank range yet the top-tier goalkeepers aren't making these saves.

Surely given that it is 90% controlled by the AI, a higher rated keeper should be better than a lower rated keeper of the same save-style?

Also, goalkeeper movement is horrific, whoever decided that was a good addition is barking up the wrong tree.

Comments

• tommyboyo
    4221 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 2021
    The difference the slightly higher GK stats make in the algorithm is so minimal that it is almost irrelevant.

edit: but yes, GK movement is stupid.
  • Jamieshore22
    2027 posts Fans' Favourite
    The whole game needs a redo. From the ground up.
  • Paul9619
    720 posts Semi-Pro
    I have this issue. My Oblak is constantly outperformed. However, I actually think it’s the case whatever goalkeeper I have. The opposition keeper always pulls of wonder save after wonder save yet mine just flops on the floor and doesn’t save shots that are right next to his hands.

So I think some of this is connection related and if you went for a lower rated keeper it would be even worse.

As for gk movement it’s complete nonsense. The issue is that most of the games the connection is that poor that the shoot animation takes too long to enact so you can’t react to the unrealistic gk movement quick enough. Why it’s a feature is beyond me.
  • Eddieww
    Paul9619 wrote: »
    As for gk movement it’s complete nonsense. The issue is that most of the games the connection is that poor that the shoot animation takes too long to enact so you can’t react to the unrealistic gk movement quick enough. Why it’s a feature is beyond me.

My gripe with GK movement is that it is a complete lottery, if you get your first shooting opportunity in a game you have to guess whether or not they are a player who moves there keeper. Guessing takes no skill whatsoever, anyone can guess correctly ocassionally.

Then, if they do show that they do it, they rest of the game is a complete "will they, won't they" situation for the rest of the match. Again, this takes literally no skill whatsoever.

• Delvinho
    2451 posts Fans' Favourite
    The whole game needs a redo. From the ground up.

I mean this is the right answer but the fact I’m debating whether to buy TOTY Neuer or stick my Red Pope from rewards in is ludicrous really. Neuer one of the greatest keepers of this generation or Nick Pope cause he’s tall 😂
  • Jdizzle
    3025 posts National Call-Up
    You mean how a gk can rush out like a maniac and save it 90% of the time?
  • Eddieww
    Jdizzle wrote: »
    You mean how a gk can rush out like a maniac and save it 90% of the time?

I mean how I'm being encouraged to pay a 5 or 6 figure sum for a top goalkeeper only to have him get shown up by players who don't even have some of their keys stats above 80 *cough* Pope *cough*
  • BeastlyHusla
    7636 posts League Winner
    I've only seen Pope.. can't tell if I'm being blessed
  • kraid
    7637 posts League Winner
    edited January 2021
    All that seems to matter is height and saves with feet trait. Rb Donnarumma is the best I’ve used
  • Eddieww
    kraid wrote: »
    All that seems to matter is height and saves with feet trait. Rb Donnarumma is the best I’ve used

I have him as an untradable and he's been pish this weekend. Usually makes some cracking reflex saves but has struggled for me recently :disappointed:
  • john_d_efc
    3163 posts National Call-Up
    kraid wrote: »

Seconded, he's superb