Question about ping?

Pikandel
1654 posts Play-Off Hero
I just tested my internet using SpeedTest, and I have 195 mbps download and 21 mbps upload. But when I play fut, my ping is 30+ most of the time. Does anyone know how I can lower my ping?

Comments

• Noo
    1944 posts Fans' Favourite
    Only thing I can suggest is making sure you use a wired connection i.e cable running from router directly into console.

Stopped speed up lag for me.

Im on about 36mbs download and 9.1 mbs upload and get 18-20 ping.

No idea how any of this works. 16 ping and gameplay is completely different for me, so much smoother and responsive. Rarely get it though.
  • RadioShaq
    18644 posts Moderator
    When doing a speed test it usually picks the closest server. Try doing a test about the same distance as the ea servers.
  • CtldChaos
    2406 posts Fans' Favourite
    Look at this:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/

This has a utility you can download UOTrace which will allow you to properly test your ping to EA's servers. Note the tracert and Poll items in it.

Also notice where the lag jumps, there will typically be a place where it goes up. If it is inside your network you can do something about it, if it is in your ISPs network, you can call but do not hold your breath, if it is in EA's network (which my tests repreatedly show), you are out of luck.

If you post a screen shot of your results, I can interpret them for you.

Also, a speed test is exactly that, a speed test, it does not test ping or stutter in any useful way that would be relevant to FIFA.
  • I have had 10-14 ping the last week and have speed up lag every 15-30 seconds in game... don’t know what to do... just started this past week
  • AULERT
    1232 posts Professional
    All I can say it go to a wired connection if you are not.

I did this and online games have been fine since.

Previously my ping would continously flicker between 20-60ish in the lobby, now it rarely moves, usually 10-12 m/s of ping now!
  • Barry Allannnn
    1632 posts Play-Off Hero
    Pikandel wrote: »
    I just tested my internet using SpeedTest, and I have 195 mbps download and 21 mbps upload. But when I play fut, my ping is 30+ most of the time. Does anyone know how I can lower my ping?

Lower your internet speeds. Try around 140mbs and your ping should improve.
  • WarrenBarton
    10986 posts Has That Special Something
    I have had 10-14 ping the last week and have speed up lag every 15-30 seconds in game... don’t know what to do... just started this past week

You wired or WiFi?
  • WarrenBarton
    10986 posts Has That Special Something
    I’m currently using a 4g dongle thing as I moved house to somewhere that doesn’t yet have fibre cables and it’s 45mbs download but the ping fluctuates between about 35-280 constantly before every game.

Gameplay is pretty horrendous atm, delay is the worst I’ve ever played and the passing, player switching and players not locking on to balls are all horrendous. I keep getting drawn back into the WL though 😂
  • Chavez76
    9311 posts League Winner
    usually the ping does not change that much between WiFi or wired. It's about the stability of the connection where wired shines over WiFi
  • I have had 10-14 ping the last week and have speed up lag every 15-30 seconds in game... don’t know what to do... just started this past week

You wired or WiFi?

Unfortunately Wi-Fi. It’s been fine all year until this last week... guess I have to get wired
  • Roobar
    1422 posts Play-Off Hero
    Speed has little to do with ping, wired connection first good step, but really i play 10 ms and game feels like it's 1000ms so I wouldn't worry much, not much you can do with this game, I play all other games and it runs great, it's a FIFA problem
  • AULERT
    1232 posts Professional
    Chavez76 wrote: »
    usually the ping does not change that much between WiFi or wired. It's about the stability of the connection where wired shines over WiFi

Yeah correct, it doesn't change too much but what I found is that it massively fluctates on wifi, whereas wired is pretty consistent (mine doesn't move more than 5ms).