The Fullback Problem

YNWA1994NV
1194 posts Professional
I don’t know how you fix it, and maybe I’m the only one who thinks it’s a problem. But, the fact that the best back line you can have in this game includes 3-4 fullbacks is wild to me. Maybe they need to make height more impactful, so having 5’10” CBs will leave you exposed? I just feel like there should be a benefit to using a VVD over a Kyle Walker at CB.

I guess this is just another consequence of EA leaning into pace and AI blocks being OP. All you need is pace at the back and you can press on possession loss, because no one can put run you and you don’t have to worry about them breaking you down because AI blocks are so OP that you never really need to tackle.

Didn’t mean for this to come off complainy, just more curious if anyone else is frustrated by this and if anyone has ideas of how to nerf it?

Comments

• RTG20
    1743 posts Play-Off Hero
    It's only a problem if you play in a 1 dimensional manner.

Anytime I vs a team with off chem FB's at CB I definitely notice it's a lot easier to pass around that CB, obviously if you just try to outrun them in a straight line the FB with 90+ pace will be better than the CB with 70 pace, that's the negative side of one dimensional play.
  • kraid
    7676 posts League Winner
    Never really come across fullbacks at cb. Played a guy that brought on freeze adama for vvd earlier but that’s about it
  • YidArmy
    2557 posts Fans' Favourite
    I'm one of the guys that uses full backs at CB on 7 chem.

My reasoning being, I play an aggressive 352 and 90% of the time I have 60% possesion or more. I literally can't play any other way.

Virtually every goal is concede is a counter attack through ball, so I need that pace.

I've tried with more traditional CB's but their additional defensive stats just don't help. I manually control my defenders too so very rarely is the AI bailing me out in defense.

If someone is on drop back or doesn't want possesion of the ball, then big defenders like VVD are the way to go as they definitely come into their own if you defend alot inside your own box. For me, I'm very rarely defending in my own box, so the extra size and better defensive awareness doesn't help me.
  • Dead_Dave
    1983 posts Fans' Favourite
    I did have Adama back there as CB, bailed me out with catching them up but I felt i conceded as many as he saved with poor positioning, although if im honest it doesnt seem to matter who i have back there lately, they seem to find the onion bag as much no matter what and thats with IF Walker (untradeable) alongside them, im probably just crap but i blame my age..... I lost earlier due to cramp ffs....
  • nextqprmanager
    3755 posts National Call-Up
    NealGuides always uses at least 1 FB as CB, so have I for agility. If your CBs are strong & clumsy, 1 false move = a goal.
  • Jamieshore22
    2027 posts Fans' Favourite
    YidArmy wrote: »
    I'm one of the guys that uses full backs at CB on 7 chem.

My reasoning being, I play an aggressive 352 and 90% of the time I have 60% possesion or more. I literally can't play any other way.

Virtually every goal is concede is a counter attack through ball, so I need that pace.

I've tried with more traditional CB's but their additional defensive stats just don't help. I manually control my defenders too so very rarely is the AI bailing me out in defense.

If someone is on drop back or doesn't want possesion of the ball, then big defenders like VVD are the way to go as they definitely come into their own if you defend alot inside your own box. For me, I'm very rarely defending in my own box, so the extra size and better defensive awareness doesn't help me.

I’m exactly the same, play with a bundes team and have Davies in 3 to help cover in behind. I normally start on 6/7 depth and go higher if I go behind so need the pace
  • GTaylor
    1109 posts Professional
    I've played 20 WL games so far this weekend and played against Varane and Mendy 20 times.....