DC United | Quique Setién | Summer Transfer Window

UN5Y
91 posts Park Captain
edited January 14
HmxF4gx.jpg

DC United have named Quique Setién as their head coach, the club announced today. Setién's last role was as Head Coach of European Giants Barcelona.

Setién takes over in Washington from Ben Olsen, who stepped down from the role at the beginning of October after 12 years in charge. United struggled in 2020, finishing 13th in the Eastern Conference with 21 points after 23 matches (5W-12L-6D)

“I am extremely excited about the opportunity to coach DC United,” Setién said in a club statement. “DC United are an iconic club with a rich history in Washington, MLS and North American soccer over the last 25 years. ... I am committed to working tirelessly for this club, our fans and DC to win a championship. I look forward to this new challenge in my career and am eager to get started.”

As a player, Setién was nicknamed El Maestro, and was best known for his two spells with Racing de Santander, starting and finishing his 19-year professional career at the club. Over 15 seasons in La Liga, he played 374 matches and scored 58 goals. He also won three international caps for Spain.

Setién started a managerial career in 2001, going on to coach several teams including Racing Santander, Las Palmas, Real Betis and most recently Barcelona.

Setién signed as head coach of Barcelona almost 12 months ago on 13th January 2020, replacing the dismissed Ernesto Valverde on a contract lasting to June 2022. However his tenure was cut short as on the 14th August 2020, they lost 8–2 to Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League, which was the first time in 74 years that the club had conceded eight goals in a game; it was also the first loss by a six-goal margin since 1951. Setién was officially dismissed three days later from his role.

The 62-year-old Setién inherits a DC squad in transition, though not short of talent. They have USMNT internationals in Bill Hamid, Paul Arriola and Russell Canouse and a German starlet in Julian Gressell, all leading the way. There will be plenty of additions as Setién will want to put his own signature on this roster.

“Quique is an excellent coach, I mean his credentials speak for themselves and we are confident that he is the right person to lead our team moving forward,” GM Dave Kasper said. “He has deep knowledge of the game and his accolades as a top European manager are evidence of his ability to create a winning and tactically astute mentality here. We look forward to working with Quique to continue to build a team that will compete for trophies.”

DC will be hoping Setién can replicate his work at Real Betis, a club that was on a downwards spiral prior to Setién taking charge.

Setién was appointed manager of Real Betis on a three-year deal in 2017. He led the team to the sixth place in his first year, with the subsequent qualification to the group stage of the UEFA Europa League. Due to his success with Betis, he was linked with a move to Barcelona in 2019 but it did not materialise.

Setién will have no difficulties with the language as in addition to his native Spanish, he also speaks English and Italian.

Setién is a keen chess player with a FIDE rating of 2055. He has played matches against former world champions Garry Kasparov and Anatoly Karpov. He has mentioned the game has an influence on his football tactics, which prioritised possession and midfield domination.
Post edited by UN5Y on

Comments

• UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    edited January 9
    So this is the start of my Setién MLS story, it's something a bit different so thought I'd give it a whirl.
    • I'm going to stick, to the best of my knowledge, to the MLS roster rules and Salary Cap restrictions.
    • I only like using Starheads, unless its a regen - so that will effect transfers etc.
    • I'll try use Setién's tactics i.e. his 3-4-1-2 and sometimes his 4-3-3.
    • I like the dates to be a bit more up to date, so I'll sim the first season and build most of the squad during that period to fit with my Starheads OCD.
    • There will also likely be a lot of transfers first window, so I'll try sum them all up as some sort of squad overhaul by Setién

Any ideas or questions from the community to make it better or more realistic are always welcome :)
    Post edited by UN5Y on
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    edited January 9
    LDSgQ4l.png

Setién Completes Complete Squad Overhaul!

Quique Setién has been very active during his first transfer window with DC United, looking to put his own stamp on the look of the squad. One of the conditions we believe for Setién signing for the Washington based club was that he would have complete control of all Senior roster decisions. He has definitely achieved that with no less than 15 new signings for the Red & Black.

Transfer Highlights

A number of trades have been completed with other MLS clubs during the hectic off-season:
    • Olivier Mbaizo in exchange for Frederic Brillant and General Allocation Money (GAM) from Philadelphia Union.
    • George Bello in exchange for Joseph Mora and GAM from Atlanta United.
    • Tristan Blackmon in exchange for Axel Sjolberg and GAM from LAFC.

Setién has taken advantage of the Free Agent Market as well with the likes of Dom Dwyer (ST), Maxi Urruti (ST), Teal Bunbury (ST) Juan Pablo Anor (W) and Miguel Ibarra (W) all being signed.

However it is the Transfer Market where Setién has completed the majority of his business.
    • Jaime Carreno has signed as Young Designate Player (YDP) from Chilean Premier Division outfit, Oriente Petrolero for an undisclosed fee.
    • Fellow countrymen Jose Pozo (Rayo Vallecano), Christian Rivera (Las Palmas) and Diego Gonzalez (Elche) have all signed from Spanish clubs.
    • Exciting Argentine prospect Evelio Cardozo has also signed from Racing Club.

This gives the roster quite a different look from the 2020 campaign. Notably the team only has one DP registered for the upcoming season, as, with use of GAM, Paul Arriola has agreed to a new senior player contract, reported to be valued at $260,000 a year. The team have also filled all available 6 International Slots. There are rumours that Setién will be in the market for an International Slot during the season.

The way I will get around this is to sign a player from an MLS club for double, possibly treble his Market Value, and deduct it from my GAM or Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). I'm not an expert on GAM or TAM by any means, but I have small understanding that MLS teams use this to buy-down/reduce player salaries, buy players from other MLS teams, or boost value to trades or picks. So that's the approach I'm going to take. Not to sure on how much a team gets so I just assigned myself $1 million for each, and i'll work within those parameters.
    2021 DC United Squad

1 Chris Seitz - Senior Minimum Salary Player
    2 Tristan Blackmon - Senior Domestic Player
    3 Eriq Zavaleta - Senior Domestic player
    4 Russell Canouse - Senior Domestic Player
    5 Diego Gonzalez - Senior International Player
    6 Christian Rivera - Senior International Player
    7 Paul Arriola - Senior Domestic Player
    8 Jaime Carreno - Young Designated International Player
    9 Maxi Urruti - Senior Domestic Player
    10 Jose Pozo - Senior International Player
    11 Felipe - Senior Domestic Player
    12 Miguel Ibarra - Senior Domestic Player
    14 Dom Dwyer - Senior Domestic Player
    15 Steve Birnbaum - Senior Domestic Player
    16 Juan Pablo Anor - Senior International Player
    17 Julian Gressel - Senior Domestic Player
    18 Evelio Cardozo - Senior Minimum Salary International Player
    19 Teal Bunbury - Senior Domestic Player
    20 Fatai Alashe - Senior Domestic Player
    21 George Bello - Senior Domestic Player
    22 Olivier Mbaizo - Senior Minimum Salary Domestic Player
    24 Bill Hamid - Senior Domestic Player
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    vUo2BN0.png

Setién Unbeaten in 90 Mins During Pre-Season

Setién has had a decent start to life as the DC United Head Coach. The team flew to Mexico to take part in the The North American All-Stars Trophy hosted at the Estadio Azteca.

The team took 5 points from a possible 9 in the group stage, with the highlight being a 1-0 win over Mexican side Mazatlán FC, thanks to a goal from Jaime Carreno.

Setién's men were eventually knocked out of the competition in the semi-finals by way of a penalty shootout by the eventual winners, Puebla FC. The game ended 1-1 after 90 mins, the DC goal coming from Jose Pozo. Setién's men eventually lost 5-4 in the shootout.

Jaime Carreno put in some very pleasing performances during the competition, starting all 4 games and grabbing himself 2 goals and an assist for his endeavours. Hopefully a sign of things to come from the young Chilean.
  • WestardLord
    2300 posts Fans' Favourite
    Wow what an overhaul of the squad. Some great additions to the team, IMO. Dwyer is still a valuable asset and I think he can get bags of goals for any side.

Unfortunate results in the preseason. I feel like the quality of the squad on paper is much higher and I hope they can prove that.
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    tHGUqKS.png
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    Wow what an overhaul of the squad. Some great additions to the team, IMO. Dwyer is still a valuable asset and I think he can get bags of goals for any side.

Unfortunate results in the preseason. I feel like the quality of the squad on paper is much higher and I hope they can prove that.

Yeah I've twisted it in my story that it's Setién's decision, but I just can't play without the Starheads 😂 Hopefully the transfers will be fewer from here onwards, as I don't really like destroying the core of the team usually.

Yeah I've just finished the first 4 games of the Season and Dwyer is flying, hoping he will recapture the heights 2014-16 when he was a star at Kansas City. He's got the players behind him to provide, so maybe.

• Danimal5981
    2594 posts Fans' Favourite
    Great start. Any particular reason for the club choice and why you decided to take a 5th option as manager? (instead of the 4 mentioned in your older thread)
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    Great start. Any particular reason for the club choice and why you decided to take a 5th option as manager? (instead of the 4 mentioned in your older thread)

I chose DC as they currently don't have a manager and had a particular poor 2020, so almost like a rebuild sort of thing with them. Also they have a few starheads already.

As I was mulling over which option to take, I stumbled across someone saying that one of the default manager Avatars looks very similar to Setién (the one with the hat) and it really does, so I decided to go with that, plus I could choose DC then. If you retire a player in that league you usually just get the option of Real Salt Lake, and didn't fancy doing it with them.

Thanks, I usually start well, but when the games start to mean something I find the game becomes harder, and I have a horrendous track record in the play-offs. My sole aim is to just get there this season.
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    edited January 10
    5fxa60G.png

DCdJOiR.png
    Post edited by UN5Y on
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    edited January 11
    KXAsD2j.jpg

DCUnited.com can reveal the latest out of the Setién camp is that Young Designated Player is out for 7 months with an Anterior Cruciate Ligament injury, which in turn means he will be placed on the Injured Reserve list and will play no further part in the 2021 campaign.

This is bad news for the Washington side, as they lose one of their key players early on in the season. The injury came after Carreño took a bad tumble in the recent victory over conference rivals, Inter Miami. DC went on to win the game 2-1 in front of a packed crowd at Audi Field.

Setién had this to say on the injury, "we knew it was serious right away, Jaime is a tough boy, but he was evidently in great discomfort. We wish him a speedy recovery". The Spanish tactician added "we have plenty of cover in midfield and this is a great opportunity for someone to grasp at the chance to make that spot their own, however I feel sorry Jaime as he has been outstanding thus far."

What does this mean for DC United?

Well, they now have an open International slot on their roster and 3 open DP slots. There will be some Salary Cap room to bring in possibly another YDP. Setién will likely look for a younger DP as Carreño only qualified as a YDP for this season, so they will have to revisit his contract at the end of the season.

Rumour has it that Setién has been keeping close tabs on Chilean striker, Diego Valencia, from Universidad Católica. He is now 21 and will be eligible as a YDP for 2 years.

Post edited by UN5Y on
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    EiE9hnE.jpg

DCUnited.com as always bring you the latest news happening at the club before anybody else! We can reveal the injury that forced Dom Dwyer to be substituted off in the game against NYCFC is a Broken Toe and is expected to be side-lined for up to 3 months.

This is the second mid-term injury Dwyer has suffered this season after just coming back from a 3 month set back due to an ankle injury suffered earlier in the campaign.

What does this mean for DC United?

Well, it leaves the team with just 2 healthy Senior Forwards in Maxi Urruti and Teal Bunbury, with no depth to support those guys. Jose Pozo can play up top, but is much more effective in the Midfield. We believe Quique Setién will now for sure be in the market for a Striker during the next transfer window.

This further sparks the rumours that a deal can be done for Universidad Católica forward, Diego Valencia. It is likely Valencia will be available for around the $4 million mark, and can be signed to a 2 year YDP contract. Other viable options who would suit the Setién style of play are Juan Agudelo (Inter Miami), Fredy Montero (Vancouver), Diego Rubio (Colorado Rapids) and Khiry Shelton (Sporting KC).
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    edited January 11
    NTpb27M.jpg
    Post edited by UN5Y on
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    edited January 12
    2jhF8e1.jpg

DCUnited.com can exclusively announce that DC United have completed the signing of Universidad Católica forward, Diego Valencia for a reported fee in the region of $4 Million. The young forward has agreed to a YDP contract with the Red & Black.

Valencia is an exciting prospect, native of Chile, who is a natural finisher. At just 21 years of age he has 6 goals in 36 outings for the Los Cruzados. He lists 2 x Primera División Winner, 1 x Super Cup Winner and 1 Cuadrangular Vina del Mar Winner amongst his honours as well as a host of Chile International Youth Caps under his belt.

This transfer will add much needed depth to Setién's front line and will provide welcome competition for Dom Dwyer and Teal Bunbury.

Valencia will join up with his new club and be availavle for selection when the transfer window opens on the 1st of July. This shrewd bit of business is a signal of intent from Setién to not just rest on one's laurels. Exciting times in Washington!

Welcome to DC, Diego!
  • Danimal5981
    Good start bij DC, 5 points up with 2 games in hand - you're sure it isn't too easy for you right now? :wink:
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    Good start bij DC, 5 points up with 2 games in hand - you're sure it isn't too easy for you right now? :wink:

Mate you are absolute correct, I've actually upped the level to make it competitive. I'm in between levels tbh, so I need to alter the sliders a bit. I'm either win 5/5, go up a level I lose 5/5. So I'm trying to experiment with sliders atm. I want it to be roughly around win 2, lose 2, draw 1 sort of experience if you get me.

However on the flipside of that, I have a built a decent team which, attributes wise, is better than most in the league, so that could be a factor also.
    In the next update, I have actually lost a game, last minute winner for them and I could feel it coming in the game, if you know what I mean, however next game I won 3-0 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    edited January 12
    gz14J5O.png
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    edited January 14
    Ly4EjPg.jpg

We take a look at what the Summer Transfer Window could bring for DC United.

You could argue a team which is performing as well as DC don't really need any additions, but we all know if you want to go deep into the play-offs you need depth in the squad, not to memtion the risk of injuries, which have already prematurely ended Jaime Carreño's season, and is preventing Dom Dwyer from playing at the moment as well.

Setién has already made a move last month and acquired the services of Diego Valencia to add much needed depth at forward, but where else needs some reinforcements? We take a look at some possible areas below.

GOALKEEPER

DC are blessed by having one of the best shot shoppers and commanding goalkeepers in the league in Bill Hamid. They also have a pretty solid backup in Chris Seitz, however they are both in their 30's now, and it is unlikely Setién will extend Seitz's contract to another season, so do they move early to provide competition to Hamid?

DC have academy Goalkeeper, Ivan Xavier, but at only 17 he is not ready to take on the number 2 role. So it is likely Setién will look to bolster this position during the summer window, especially with many contracts of players coming to an end now during this window.

Ørjan Nyland - He has been a free agent since his release from Aston Villa back in 2020. Arguably too good for a number 2 role, but we're sure he just wants to get back to playing football.

Raúl Lizoain - Rumour has it, Setién has been tracking the contract situation of his fellow countryman. A solid keeper for CD Mirandés, but only 6 months younger than Hamid.

José Aurelio Suárez - A younger and more viable option, has found game time hard to come by at Girona, and would likely welcome a fresh start and a real opportunity to play.

Juan Esteban Moreno - The 21 year old Colombian keeper who registered 6 clean sheets in 10 appearances playing for Millionarios last season. An exciting prospect who could hit the ground running in the MLS.

Maxime Crépeau - Canadian international currently with the Vancouver Whitecaps. He missed a large portion of the 2020 season due to suffering a fractured thumb in the MLS is Back Tournament. Would give real competition to Hamid and is a proven commodity in this league.

José Alberto Castillo - Like Suárez, the Mexican shot stopper has had limited playing time with Pumas, sitting currently at 3rd choice. A cheap option to challenge Seitz for the number 2 role.

All the players on this list would take up an International slot, so an international player would need to leave DC or Setién would have to acquire an additional slot in order to register the player.

The Domestic option is Alexander Bono who has shown glimpses of real maturity and potential during his time in the MLS but having only played 3 games last season for Toronto, he would likely welcome a change of scenery. A cheap and risk free option.
    Post edited by UN5Y on
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    edited January 14
    LEFT BACK

DC have only used an actual left back twice this season, as Setién much prefers a possession based 3-5-2 formation. However that being said should he want to play with a back four, the club only have one left back in the squad, George Bello. Bello is very comfortable playing anywhere down the left flank, but it would be naive to go all season with no back-up, wouldn't it?

DC again have an academy prospect in Joshua Gagnon, however the 18 year old is just finding his feet at DC's USL affiliate side, Loudon United. Like Xavier, for the goalkeeper role, he is not ready for MLS football. So it is likely Setién will look to this window as an opportunity to add some depth in the left back department.

Moi Delgado - The Spaniard has just completed a succesful loan with CF Fuenlabrada in the Spanish Second Division. He would make an excellent addition to Setién's squad, but would he settle for a bit-part role?

Antonio López - The Guatemalan international, can play anywhere down the left, so can be a second choice left back and third choice left winger. A seldom used player off the bench for Club América this season, would he be interested in a similar role in the MLS?

Hector Jiménez - An MLS domestic veteran, can play down either flank, and currently occupies a similar role with divisional rivals Columbus. Would The Crew be willing to do business with a side they're in direct competition with for the Eastern Conference crown?

Mohammed El-Munir - Much like Moi Delgado, El-Munir, would make an excellent addition to DC, however would likely knock Bello down the Depth Chart. Setién, who is no stranger to a squad shake-up, would have a tough decision on his hand if El-Munir was the option he went for. Additionally, it is likely LAFC would drive a hard bargain in exchange for one of their starters.

Andre Reynolds II - The young American doesn't have a ton of MLS experience, however he is a regular bench player for the Chicago Fire. When Reynolds has been called upon, he has been reliable, careful in possession and forward thinking, all traits Setién looks for from his wide men.
    Post edited by UN5Y on
  • Danimal5981
    If I might make a suggestion for GK: Joël Drommel of FC Twente. He has the right age, there's still some potential in him left (above 80) and his contract expires in the summer of 2021, about where you are in the story.

For LB you should go most-def for Alexandro Bernabei of Lanús. Stamina like a horse and able to cover the whole left flank.

They are two that I have taken over with Ajax, of which I might do (another) Career, stepping in around the summer of 2021 (as in: future tense)
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    If I might make a suggestion for GK: Joël Drommel of FC Twente. He has the right age, there's still some potential in him left (above 80) and his contract expires in the summer of 2021, about where you are in the story.

For LB you should go most-def for Alexandro Bernabei of Lanús. Stamina like a horse and able to cover the whole left flank.

They are two that I have taken over with Ajax, of which I might do (another) Career, stepping in around the summer of 2021 (as in: future tense)

Great suggestions, especially Bernabei, I'm going to seriously consider signing him next season, possibly as a DP too. I currently have Añor and high potential Bello, both with Important status, so to bring in a 3rd would be bad for morale. However if I sell one of those, I think I will go Bernabei.

Drommel is a great keeper, but bit out of my budget at around €25 million 😂 I currently have Hamid who is a crucial, he will likely be my starter for the forseeable.

This transfer window is mostly for adding cheap depth as I don't have much salary cap left either. Thanks for putting me onto Bernabei though, I've never heard of him and he is perfect for the 3-5-2 I play
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    CENTRE MIDFIELDER

Setién's Midfield is by no means bereft of talent, however with the rumoured interest in Brazilian Midfielder, Felipe, growing and if DC were to receive the right bid for him, the finiancial reward would be too tempting for DC to turn down. Also any monies would soften the $4 million spent on Valencia. So if business for Felipe does go ahead DC will need to fill that void.

Felipe currently rotates in the number 8 role, along with Jose Pozo and Christian Rivera. Now Pozo plays an equal amount at CAM, and is better at it, whereas Rivera has struggled at 8, but has looked more comfortable at number 4, which requires him to drop deep and receive the ball from the defence.

Setién's number 8 needs to be energetic and always looking for those gaps in the middle of park to create the triangles and play as the link-up player.

Academy prospect, Hunter Cameron, currently with DC's USL affiliate side, Loudon United, is showing signs of being an exciting prospect for DC and could well be ready for some game time in the MLS. What the 17 year old does lack though is the experience which Felipe has. We would not be surprised to see Hunter Cameron called up this season, but it's probably unlikely Setién will put faith in him just yet to fill Felipe's void permanently.

It is likely Setién will look for a domestic alternative to fill the potential vacancy, and here are a number of decent candidates:

Emerson Hyndman - The former AFC Bournemouth man has shown glimpses of real class so far this season for Atlanta United, and could well be ready for more regular playing time.

Kellyn Acosta - A bit of an MLS stud, once destined for Europe, has been outstanding for Colorado this season. Acosta who contributes as much defensively as he does to the attack would be a stalwart for DC if his current form is anything to go off.

Paxton Pomykal - Another exciting American prospect, who is ready to make the step up to a starting role, could be the perfect replacement for Felipe. Dallas have produced a number of great talents over the years, but they usually move onto Europe, not to other MLS clubs.

Kelyn Rowe - Probably the most surprising player on this list, Rowe sprung onto the MLS scene back in 2012. He played regularly for New England for 7 seasons before moving to Sporting Kansas City. It was at Sporting, and later Real Salt Lake, that Rowe's minutes and performances dwindled, he became a shadow of his former self. However, now back at New England, playing under fellow no-nonsense coach, Bruce Arena, Rowe has come to life again. Perhaps the versatile midfielder needs that authorative coach to get the best out of him???
  • UN5Y
    91 posts Park Captain
    vaTpYs1.png
  • WestardLord
    2300 posts Fans' Favourite
    Hmm, good start to the month and then the form seemed to fade abit. Granted, Atlanta and Philly are tough opponents. But league position is still secure.

Pomykal has arguably the bigger potential, but Dallas won't let go of their boy wonder easily. Acosta is also pretty vital for Colorado. Hyndman may end up being the way to go.