Next gen Gameplay. Wow.... edit -(i've gone back to old gen version)edit2-(Ive gone back to new gen)

TDOF
9002 posts League Winner
edited December 2020
Just want to make a thread just purely on gameplay.

If you want a more general thread, (camera, haptics...etc) here; https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/579304/next-gen-update-now-available/p1

My Opinions;

So far played 5 games all in rivals at ~2200 rivals

First off im yet to play an opponent at my level, i keep getting matched against people at 1800, obviously not that many people are on.

The actual gameplay

Wow.

The difference is night and day... Just feels a lot smoother and responsive on the ball, the extra animations of players controlling the ball instead of the ball just bouncing is FANTASTIC.

The whole game speed feels slower, which isn't a terrible thing... you feel more in control on the ball if that makes sense.

Tackles.... i've yet to have a single bounce back. Every good tackle i made i got the ball.

Dribbling doesn't feel so clunky.

I have yet to see any crazy ice skating.

So far im actually shocked. I can't believe how much better this game is....

The bad

I really hope this isn't just because not a lot of people are on the servers.

Once a lot of people get it and servers start overloading on next gen are we just going to go back to what we had?

Obviously no one knows till it happens.

But as i said. Just the smoothness of the gameplay itself made this game so much better.

I really hope it stays like this.

After a full day of playing rivals.

16 games

3-A1-CE746-3-B80-4-C96-B671-D739-E093-F685.jpg

I’ve had fun, but also i lost around 100 SR

Went from like 2245 to 2150

Playing against mbappe, neymar, cr7 is so hard... keeping up with them is very difficult, which is a good thing.

I recently just sold my whole team and playing with saint max, ousmane... those type of players

And honestly in the previous gen i was still able to easily out play my opponents, but now it is tough.

When they get touched they lose the ball, the ball doesn’t bounce back or stick to me as often as it did (which is good)

I like it though, can’t wait to buy back my team... even though I’m 100% going to take more losses because trying to defend all those top players is ridiculously hard for me right now.

Idk if I’m just having an off day but I’ve been struggling a lot lol

I'm going back to old gen....

I like it, but the main reason is the AI blocks... just the blocks are so bad compared to what they are after the patch it's insane....

Once they patch the blocks on new gen i'll go back again.. but everything else i still enjoy.

Apart from the blocks which just ruin the game...
Post edited by TDOF on

Comments

• TDOF
    9002 posts League Winner
    Obviously ive not had a big sample size, but i want to make this thread right now and see if time goes on how it changes.

Also player switching, unreal.
  • joehuk
    8229 posts League Winner
    Server load.

But as you said hope I'm wrong.

Personally this year is a write off for me I've not got next gen console as I play on the pc but the current state of fifa 21 on the pc is just to much to take for another year and same goes for current gen of consoles.

I will be getting series X next year when stock isn't so hard to get lol.

And will attempt FIFA 22 on the consoles next year so it will be good to see if the overhaul has paid off.

As I can't see EA investing in the overhaul for the pc it took them two or three years to finally catch upto console engine.
  • Jsim86
    883 posts Semi-Pro
    I echo everything original poster has said, would add that the animations are far smoother and allow for them to be more effective
  • Minhk0
    45 posts Park Captain
    i dont need new animations, dont need graphics to be better, for me the current gen is enough from a game like fifa but minimum delay that i wish from ea
  • Supermario911
    2217 posts Fans' Favourite
    Lmao I bet it's the same
    Placebo

The game is built on PS4 code
  • TDOF
    9002 posts League Winner
    Orison wrote: »
    Impressive amount of placebo going on here :trollface:

have you played it? If you have there's no way you can't tell the difference lol
  • TDOF
    9002 posts League Winner
    Lmao I bet it's the same
    Placebo

The game is built on PS4 code

Actually no...

They made the game on next gen and then scaled down to old gen. Both Sony and Microsoft said last year that any game developer making a game for 2020 Q4 has to be made for next gen

@Supermario911
  • Chavez76
    9873 posts League Winner
    Hammer316 wrote: »
    It's the servers. We've complained about the servers for years and now the player base will be split so this year could turn out to be good for everyone whether you're on new or old gen.

explain. Does EA have different servers for PS5 gameplay?
    Dont think so. It's just split now.
  • Jamiecpfc
    235 posts Sunday League Hero
    I agree with the positive comments after around 10 games. Game is night and day better than the PS4 version from visuals, the cinematic match day sound to the actual game play. The cut scenes when you score late are amazing and even the manager run to the corner flag to celebrate a last min goal I scored. Overall very good early impressions.
  • Growler
    908 posts Professional
    Nope.... gameplay is still bad for me. Looks shinny, perhaps smoother animations but gave us still bad
  • AvalanJ
    1519 posts Play-Off Hero
    It's not just a new lightning almost a different game you'll notice as soon as the first kick off. They done a nice job although pretty sure there will be a lot of bugs given how this year's went.
  • Fergvsfood
    523 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Oh dear there's a cut scene for when you score late.
    Tells you everything you need to know.
  • NornIron
    16089 posts World Class
    edited December 2020
    I had quit my last 30, until this upgrade now won 4 out of 4 infact didnt just win I destroyed the opponents who had Mbappe and multiple icons. My best player is Sane then Havertz.
    If you can control your players anything is possible, I always go attacking but my defending was terrible because everything was so slow no reactions, now im straight into a tackle before my opponents can get the ball. Always could read the game but couldnt do anything about it.
  • Vichy360
    344 posts Sunday League Hero
    Agree OP
    Played 3 rivals games & I wanted to say it's seriously brilliant.
    No need to patch it, far superior to ps4 version with 0 delay/lag.
  • Azof
    21502 posts Club Captain
    Be interesting to see everyones thoughts after WL
  • SkeltonTom
    1765 posts Fans' Favourite
    Can't wait to play some games tonight after reading this! :D
  • ASX
    3538 posts National Call-Up
    Think you have good gameplay anyway based on your previous posts and your previous WL records.

I'm playing next gen on PS5 and it looks great, animations are cool but gameplay isn't better than last gen, for it me it feels a little bit clunky when controlling a player on the ball and all 3 games i played when I take a shot at goal there's some weird stutter (only when shooting).
  • Okocha10
    1097 posts Professional
    TDOF wrote: »
    Just want to make a thread just purely on gameplay.

If you want a more general thread, (camera, haptics...etc) here; https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/579304/next-gen-update-now-available/p1

My Opinions;

So far played 5 games all in rivals at ~2200 rivals

First off im yet to play an opponent at my level, i keep getting matched against people at 1800, obviously not that many people are on.

The actual gameplay

Wow.

The difference is night and day... Just feels a lot smoother and responsive on the ball, the extra animations of players controlling the ball instead of the ball just bouncing is FANTASTIC.

The whole game speed feels slower, which isn't a terrible thing... you feel more in control on the ball if that makes sense.

Tackles.... i've yet to have a single bounce back. Every good tackle i made i got the ball.

Dribbling doesn't feel so clunky.

I have yet to see any crazy ice skating.

So far im actually shocked. I can't believe how much better this game is....

The bad

I really hope this isn't just because not a lot of people are on the servers.

Once a lot of people get it and servers start overloading on next gen are we just going to go back to what we had?

Obviously no one knows till it happens.

But as i said. Just the smoothness of the gameplay itself made this game so much better.

I really hope it stays like this.

Wait till Friday after the promo, when the Xbox series x first come out the gameplay felt amazing at first then slowly went down hill day after day expecting the same when more & more people access the next gen game
  • Johno7256
    536 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Don't know what version you are playing but seriously feels like the same game but looks even more pretty.And the fact i only seem to be playing div1 players is absolute farce in it self. WL aint even started yet and am already dreading it ffs

• SkeltonTom
    1765 posts Fans' Favourite
    I think the fact that the game is slower is a really good thing. FIFA gameplay is too fast, and doesn't reflect the speed of a typical football match in real life. So if it is true that gameplay is slower, I'm all for it.
  • TDOF
    9002 posts League Winner
    ASX wrote: »
    Think you have good gameplay anyway based on your previous posts and your previous WL records.

I'm playing next gen on PS5 and it looks great, animations are cool but gameplay isn't better than last gen, for it me it feels a little bit clunky when controlling a player on the ball and all 3 games i played when I take a shot at goal there's some weird stutter (only when shooting).

Yes my gameplay was good, but this is different.

It's a lot smoother, i just don't feel the clunkyness on the ball as i did on the other version. I feel in control
  • AvalanJ
    1519 posts Play-Off Hero

Display bottleneck? Do you also experience stutter around corner flags or when there's crowd noises? If so I'm guessing that's the case.
  • TDOF
    9002 posts League Winner
    the shadowless ball still exists...
  • [Deleted User]
    0 posts National Call-Up
    edited December 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ASX
    3538 posts National Call-Up
    AvalanJ wrote: »

Display bottleneck? Do you also experience stutter around corner flags or when there's crowd noises? If so I'm guessing that's the case.

Not sure, only get a tiny stutter when at goal.

My display is OK, LG C9, maybe I need to tweak some settings.
  • tommyboyo wrote: »
    Right, my very first impressions after testing in squad battles (I always use this as my reference, as it is not as subject to connectivity issues).

Basically, this game was not meant for previous gen at all and they hacked something together from 20 to make it work on the old platform!!

Bit more in depth...

Dribbling is a joy now, because of all the extra touches.
    Tackling in my games was much more reliable.
    Player switching was much more reliable.
    Camera angles for my preferred tele broadcast setup are much better, with a wider (L/R) field of vision.
    Everything was more responsive.
    Passing was better.
    Ball physics was much better.

Still loads of flaws as per the current gen version and they won't be changing this year, but a massive difference.

*I should add, that online may still be subject to the dreaded delay issues, but that is not really relevant, other than as a standalone and ongoing problem.

I mean some of the stuff you claim is basically impossible given that old gen is the same game just scaled down a bit.
  • Growler
    908 posts Professional
    Johno7256 wrote: »
    Don't know what version you are playing but seriously feels like the same game but looks even more pretty.And the fact i only seem to be playing div1 players is absolute farce in it self. WL aint even started yet and am already dreading it ffs
    Exactly this.... hasn’t altered the gameplay at all for me. Looks nice, animations are smooth but everything is still clunky abs slow. I’m afraid it doesn’t matter how well you dress this game in ribbons there are serious flaws in the game engine and net code, add to that the state of the servers...... if you are lucky enough to be able to get good gameplay then I guess the next gen upgrade would improve it but not for me.