Why do skill moves give speed boosts?

DeanoZoff
4837 posts National Call-Up
Title says it all.

Why do these ridiculous speed boosts exist?

Even from a standing position. Skill moves are broken enough as it is. They already allow the attacker to warp through a defenders body so why do they need a speed boost on top of that?

Comments

• DeanoZoff
    We see so many things get patched throughout the year, yet the biggest problem in the game gets ignored.
  • Finesse_4days
    16371 posts World Class
    edited November 2020
    DeanoZoff wrote: »
    We see so many things get patched throughout the year, yet the biggest problem in the game gets ignored.

Because players can't accelerate properly off a standing start unless they are tall like Gullit so doing a fake shot propels their body forward in away that gives momentum. Need to add more options to first touches and make manual first touches if they want to remove skill move boosts.
  • DeanoZoff

Because players can't accelerate properly off a standing start unless they are tall like Gullit so doing a fake shot propels their body forward in away that gives momentum. Need to add more options to first touches and make manual first touches if they want to remove skill move boosts.

I have no idea what you're on about.

Skill moves are a joke on this game.
  • GL
    14961 posts World Class
    Did you ever play Fifa 20?

If you did then you’ll know why
  • Finesse_4days
    16371 posts World Class

I have no idea what you're on about.

Skill moves are a joke on this game.

Players don't accelerate properly, I play football and know what afast player can accelerate like off a standing start players are slow as hell. That's why speed boosts are used, if they sort the game mechanics out then they won't be necessary.
  • DeanoZoff
    I've played fifa for years.

I've played football for longer.

I still have no idea what either of you are on about.

Doing a la croqueta or that spinning crap would slow you down in real life. Why does the opposite happen on fifa?
  • Jackadinho
    2263 posts Fans' Favourite

Doing a la croqueta or that spinning crap would slow you down in real life. Why does the opposite happen on fifa?

This is a video game not real life
  • Finesse_4days
    16371 posts World Class

La croquetta doesn't give you a speed boost it just quickly moves the player to the side so if your defender is stationary they will get mugged off that's why you have to jockey backwards and forwards.
    The proper speed boost ones are the scoop turn and different fake shots, they propel the player forward because the ball is out their feet at a distance which allows them to sprint properly. In real life if you are very fast you dribble in a way that gets the ball out your feet, in Fifa you can't do that properly without mechanic abuse like the fake shot.
  • RadioShaq
    17843 posts Moderator
    People like offense in their video game. Last year the pros all complained about the skill nerf now it’s back and improved.
  • Danic123
    3784 posts National Call-Up
    Jackadinho wrote: »

This is a video game not real life

This. My console hardly ever registers skill moves, had same problem for years and as such I hardly use them. But for those that can, it makes sense that something is created in the game to give an attacking player the advantage.
  • Skillmoves are the effect and not the cause.

To claim that they are the biggest issue means you don’t understand this game.

As long as the game with it's defending, defensive positioning, dribbling and passing is like this, skillmoves have to give speed boosts.
  • DeanoZoff
    Orison wrote: »
    Skillmoves are the effect and not the cause.

Jog on with your hypothetical crap
  • DeanoZoff wrote: »
    Skillmoves are the effect and not the cause.

Jog on with your hypothetical crap
    You don’t understand this game.

Point proven.
  • Edu
    7426 posts League Winner
    EA doesnt know how to make a proper animation.
    Kick off goal with skill is a complete joke at this point.
  • CtldChaos
    2406 posts Fans' Favourite
    Not to mention that every player from the age of 5 is told to "accelerate" after a move. It does you little good to wrong foot the defender and then jog past them. I agree some of the speed boosts are a bit much, but there is a basis in reality for them.
  • DeanoZoff
    Would love EA to release a game mode where skill moves are capped at 3*.

All that other crap belongs on fifa street
  • Orison
    63713 posts Icon
    edited November 2020
    Removed quoted post ~Rtas
    Would love EA to release a game mode where skill moves are capped at 3*.

All that other crap belongs on fifa street

They did. It was the absolute worst. It was slow, boring, awful to play and awful to watch.
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
  • DeanoZoff
    I suppose you don't like football either then @Orison
  • Andy99TradeZ
    17528 posts World Class
    Your responses to anything that you don't want to hear is quite funny

Not just in this thread
  • DeanoZoff
    Too right n all @Andy99TradeZ

I'm extremely bored of fake shot stop, croqueta, ball roll, fake shot stop, rainbow flick, warp through defender, 5 stepovers, roulette, rinse and repeat.

Should have left that crap on fifa street.
  • Dodds
    9903 posts League Winner
    There needs to be more ways to pass a player, the offensive side to the game would be an absolute embarrassment. Especially the way that auto blocks are game changing.

There would be so many low scoring games otherwise and the 70% possession mob would be out in force even more.
  • libertao
    1420 posts Professional

I'm extremely bored of fake shot stop, croqueta, ball roll, fake shot stop, rainbow flick, warp through defender, 5 stepovers, roulette, rinse and repeat.

I understand where you are coming from, definitely not realistic, but as @GL was alluding to, FIFA 20 centering around patient passing made the game horribly boring, even if arguably more realistic in its emphasis on retaining possession.
  • DeanoZoff
    libertao wrote: »

I understand where you are coming from, definitely not realistic, but as @GL was alluding to, FIFA 20 centering around patient passing made the game horribly boring, even if arguably more realistic in its emphasis on retaining possession.

I get that too.

But the advantage that a few skill moves give is just a joke.
  • Sercs
    20760 posts Club Captain
    I actually prefer the attacking this year, I thought I wouldn’t but like people say.. last year was just pure possession and finding a spot to hit first time with a 5* weak foot. At least this year you can equally defend but get punished by skills
  • AjaxLegends
    3858 posts National Call-Up
    I’m with @DeanoZoff on this one. Skills are too OP this year. I’m too old to learn them and it’s near impossible to break down PTB without them. It’s just not very realistic if you compare it to real life football. Sure it’s a game and what not, but I’m not a gamer. Only play football games. I want some sort of realistic football without it being boring. This is just a little much. But still this is better than last year, at least now good players who want to learn skillmoves can punish PTB-abusers.
  • DeanoZoff
    I still do alright considering i rarely use any skill moves. 2000 skill rating and get gold 1 with games remaining. Obviously nothing compared to all the top 100 players in here though.

Simple passing and dribbling can create plenty of chances, although everyone seems to disagree.

As soon as i get to high ELO or skill rating, you just know what your opponents will do. Spam the same skill moves that give weaklings like Neymar 99 strength and allow him to warp through defenders.
  • BayernBru
    1152 posts Professional
    Let's be honest the whole games a mess, impossible to focus on one issue.
  • DeanoZoff
    BayernBru wrote: »
    Let's be honest the whole games a mess, impossible to focus on one issue.

In terms of gameplay, the 2 biggest issues are delay and skill moves.

Delay will probably never get fixed.

Skill moves can be fixed.
  • Danic123
    3784 posts National Call-Up
    You can’t make a realistic simulation of any sport. That said, real life football at the highest level is like Div1. Pass & move until your opponent makes a mistake & then pounce on it.

As crap as they are to play on a game though, things like high press & PTB do exist irl.
  • SomeGit
    85 posts Park Captain
    edited November 2020
    The weird skill moves boost exists because player momentum in the game is a joke.

If the boost didn't exist, you'd never be able to pass defenders, because they can easily iceskate around the field and switch directions on the fly hence the way skill moves work on real life, essentially baiting the defender into going in a direction and exiting another with higher speed, can work if the defender can just do an 180 with no speed penalty. To prevent that, the skill moves exit speed has to be higher than what a defender can achieve which means a huge boost to acceleration.

FIFA is fully of all these half assed workarounds to try because a lot of the basic mechanics of the game are completely undercooked.