What happened to crossing?

cdbuck26
3912 posts National Call-Up
Didn't play much after the first week of 21 until this weekend, and maybe my memory is too short but it feels like an entirely different game.

The biggest thing though was that in the first week, you could vary your attack because crossing was a viable option- but after losing a couple of my first few games after many unsuccessful crossing attempts, it didn't seem so and I spent the rest of the weekend scoring on the counter or having to pass the ball around the opponents box looking for an opening (felt like Fifa 20 a little).

Is crossing useless now or am I just out of practice?

Comments

• goo_goo_gol
    146 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I feel exactly the same. It's not quite the same as 20 though, because long shots work on 21 and you can shoot across goal..but they've still done something.

Gameplay feels super boring atm. With delay it makes me feel like deleting the game, even though I hit elite most weeks
  • MDR123456
    525 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Same

• TDOF
    8995 posts League Winner
    CR7 Still leaps for me when i need him to.
  • OZero
    7503 posts League Winner
    I still lose a lot of crossing goals last WL. I don’t think it has changed
  • MDR123456
    525 posts An Exciting Prospect
    OZero wrote: »
    I still lose a lot of crossing goals last WL. I don’t think it has changed

L1 R1
  • JWNYsg
    7006 posts Big Money Move
    not sure my imagination either but crossing and also GK seems to be slightly different
  • NucksNation
    4361 posts National Call-Up
    Definitely changed since objectives are in the play..
    same old.. park the bus, drop back then counter with fast wingers.. now they don’t drag back or baseline pass for tap in but they just shoot it across the goal and keeper is left sleeping
  • Wurrsmycash
    1415 posts Professional
    Nobody crosses anymore as it leads to a counter.
  • Not just crossing...heading has gone also.

I can win a header, but like 20, it gets closer to the corner flag then the goal...checked my setting in case i had switched to manual heading, but no, still assisted.

Looks like its back to 20 gameplay just go down the middle...it was good while it lasted.
  • L1vingl1fe
    4829 posts National Call-Up
    I score tons of headers from crossed with Mbappe
  • zzachzx
    6279 posts Big Money Move
    Crossing and headers are both set to manual online
  • OZero
    7503 posts League Winner
    Not just crossing...heading has gone also.

I can win a header, but like 20, it gets closer to the corner flag then the goal...checked my setting in case i had switched to manual heading, but no, still assisted.

Looks like its back to 20 gameplay just go down the middle...it was good while it lasted.

Its manual online, since day 1.
  • OZero wrote: »

I did not know this...explains why I keep missing them...willhave to practice heading, my bad, thanks.
  • OZero
    7503 posts League Winner
    OZero wrote: »

I did not know this...explains why I keep missing them...willhave to practice heading, my bad, thanks.

EA said heading is easy to score this year so in order to balance the gameplay header becomes manual for online matches.

I also missed a lot of easy headers. You ain’t alone.
  • JustusX
    3334 posts National Call-Up
    edited November 2020

The vast majority of my headers go out for throw ins! I used to score headers for fun in 20 but in 21 I literally have to be on the goal line with an open goal!

As it’s now manual I think there has been a lot less crosses and a lot more cutting in and play to feet by nearly everyone I play.

• Thamightyboro
    8100 posts League Winner
    Potm niane still bangs them in another weekend with a couple of corner hatricks and multiple headers in open play. I'd say half his goals are headers reminds me of sif Modeste a few year ago.

With the right player it's still very viable.
  • ha032742
    43910 posts Moderator
    TDOF wrote: »
    CR7 Still leaps for me when i need him to.

Only from corners for me :D
  • SJR440
    8588 posts League Winner
    Potm niane still bangs them in another weekend with a couple of corner hatricks and multiple headers in open play. I'd say half his goals are headers reminds me of sif Modeste a few year ago.

With the right player it's still very viable.

This.

We're all about utilising crossing/heading in this thread if you're interested in trying some of our systems and tactics :smile:

https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/570021/the-targetman-thread-teams-systems-and-tactics-discussion/p1
  • cdbuck26
    3912 posts National Call-Up
    For me it's not so much the heading, but I can't get the ball to anyone's head it just gets shut down, like for all the balls where there's a defender up against an attacker jumping, the defender seems to win everything.

Good to know that the heading is manual though.