Who is the biggest Premier League flop of all-time?

Shshj
11815 posts Has That Special Something
This is just a bit of fun, please keep it civil.

I'm sure there's plenty that I've missed so please point out any that I've missed.

Who is the biggest Premier League flop of all-time? 38 votes

Andriy Shevchenko - Chelsea (2006, £30m)
2%
MattDufc14 1 vote
Eliaquim Mangala - Man City (2014, £40m)
0%
Alexis Sanchez - Man Utd (2018, Free)
23%
DandingoooAndy99TradeZWieler25Tornado31619Bobo23El_NinoHysxteriAPxul_EARoger_is_scum 9 votes
Kepa Arrizabalaga - Chelsea (2018, £71m)
50%
MorroWtjeAndyAlemas_2012limjitweG000nerAhmer50xTeh ZombzKellnerrPughy30TwoZebrasIbte10Wyojasond WryLuckyP1tch_1nvaderz88BO0OMforearmsStlducksBiabiaPietu 19 votes
Andy Carroll - Liverpool (2011, £35m)
5%
SmudgeCyodine 2 votes
Fernando Torres - Chelsea (2011, £50m)
7%
AaronMFCChrisLFCWFCBagnall 3 votes
Benjamin Mendy - Man City (2017, £51m)
2%
yosef167 1 vote
Danny Drinkwater - Chelsea (2017, £35m)
0%
Juan Sebastian Veron - Man Utd (2001, £38m)
5%
FUT_MoeSnugglebites 2 votes
Other (Please State)
2%
MazerM 1 vote

Comments

• WryLucky
    6085 posts Big Money Move
    How can it not be Kepa at this point.
  • Snugglebites
    2871 posts Fans' Favourite
    Juan Sebastian Veron - Man Utd (2001, £38m)
    I'd go with Veron. He was at his peak when he moved and was a genuinely top level player.
  • Kellnerr
    4982 posts Big Money Move
    You can't call the likes of Torres and Sanchez a PL flop. Would be different if we were talking about the biggest PL transfer flop but this way it has to be Kepa. Haven't seen enough of Veron tbf.
  • MazerM
    282 posts Sunday League Hero
    Other (Please State)
    Ali dia - George Weah's 'brother' for Southampton....
  • Tornado31619
    32152 posts National Team Captain
    On his wages...
  • Ahmer50x
    31657 posts National Team Captain
    There can be only one answer 😂
  • WryLucky
    6085 posts Big Money Move
    On a side note, surprised Ozil isn't on the list.
  • Ibte10
    2647 posts Fans' Favourite
    Sanchez was bad, but Kepa is next level bad.
  • Tornado31619
    The thing is, Kepa actually had a decent first season. Sánchez only played well for us once or twice.
  • Tornado31619
    WryLucky wrote: »

He was one of the best players in the league when Leicester won the title.
  • Wyojasond
    17928 posts World Class
    I was torn on Kepa or Sanchez but ultimately I think it has to be Kepa. That kind of money for a keeper and he can’t even be the backup anymore.

I think it counts against him even more that Alisson was the record for a few days before him and he has more than been worth his fee. One of those few times Liverpool got in ahead of Chelsea on a top target 😎
  • Nem
    8014 posts League Winner
    I'd go with Veron. He was at his peak when he moved and was a genuinely top level player.

Same can be said for Shevchenko.
  • HysxteriA
    4293 posts National Call-Up
    Ouch Sanchez, that still hurts now.
  • Kellnerr
    WryLucky wrote: »

Ozil isn't a flop imo
  • El_Nino
    9376 posts League Winner
    Torres being on that list is a disgrace!

Has to be Alexis for me, Kepa had good spells, pretty much an entirely good year, then fell off a cliff.

Alexis was never good, and had wayyyyy higher expectations, he was thought of as one of the best players in the league, Kepa was a somewhat unproven young GK that we massively overpaid for, Alexis is definitely a bigger flop imo.
  • SimenHP
    5135 posts Big Money Move
    I don't want to call Kepa a flop, but rather our board a flop. Kepa was never a mega star and should have never cost more than 10-15m. For me (as a Chelsea fan) I think it's the worst signing ever, with the only one even close being Maguire (who was also insanely overpriced). Btw. I'm not saying Maguire is that bad, but he should been 1/3 of the price
  • Stlducks
    8792 posts League Winner
    I went Kepa because Sanchez was really good for multiple years in the PL before declining. Kepa had one good year then became one of the worst keepers in the top flight leagues.
  • Cyodine
    5381 posts Big Money Move
    Andy Carroll - Liverpool (2011, £35m)
    Definitely Big Andy. Going from Torres to Andy was such a setback in terms of quality.
  • 1690_Ulster_FC
    4188 posts National Call-Up
    Nem wrote: »

Same can be said for Shevchenko.

Sheva's decline was a result of mismanagement. Mourinho never wanted him.

Veron just never fitted into Utd for some reason but was decent for Chelsea.
  • limjitwe
    10026 posts Has That Special Something
    This sounds about right for now.
  • ChrisLFC
    7364 posts League Winner
    Imagine if Salah left us for Chelsea for a 100+mil fee then didn't score in his first 6-8 weeks and had the same strike rate as Ashley Barnes during his entire tenure there never once looking like the world class player he once was.

That's the equivalent to the Torres transfer in 2020
  • El_Nino
    9376 posts League Winner
    ChrisLFC wrote: »
    Imagine if Salah left us for Chelsea for a 100+mil fee then didn't score in his first 6-8 weeks and had the same strike rate as Ashley Barnes during his entire tenure there never once looking like the world class player he once was.

While I might be bias, comparing Torres to the level of flop Kepa and Sanchez were is ridiculous, Torres was never world class for us, but he consistently played for a fair few seasons, he still offered us something, and had some great moments.

The same can’t be said for Kepa/particularly Sanchez.
  • Stlducks
    8792 posts League Winner
    El_Nino wrote: »

While I might be bias, comparing Torres to the level of flop Kepa and Sanchez were is ridiculous, Torres was never world class for us, but he consistently played for a fair few seasons, he still offered us something, and had some great moments.

I agree with what you said about Kepa and Torres though Kepa did provide a great moment by refusing to be subbed off..

But for Sanchez, is he a Premier League flop or just a Man United flop? That is why I did not vote for him because I see him as a Man United flop but not a Premier League one. He was great for Arsenal for a number of years.
  • Kellnerr
    I mean Sanchez for Arsenal was one of the best players in the league in the last decade. You can call him a transfer flop but not a PL flop. Torres is similar
  • ChrisLFC
    7364 posts League Winner

All depends on your criteria for flop really. I didn't expect Kepa to preform like a world class keeper but Torres was an established world class striker in the PL. I feel like he was the bigger disappointment based on expectations. Kepa's value was maybe worse value for money so he'd be the biggest flop if that's your criteria.
  • El_Nino
    9376 posts League Winner

All depends on your criteria for flop really. I didn't expect Kepa to preform like a world class keeper but Torres was an established world class striker in the PL. I feel like he was the bigger disappointment based on expectations. Kepa's value was maybe worse value for money so he'd be the biggest flop if that's your criteria.

Based on that criteria if still say Shevchenko or Sanchez were far bigger flops, both established world class players, both offered far less than Torres imo.

@Stlducks yeah if your taking the title literally it probably has to be either Kepa or Shevchenko, basically every other name on the list was world class or atleast decent for a period with a different team.

The fact the OP has included people like Sanchez/Torres etc makes me strongly assume it’s PL transfer flop rather than flop in the entire league.
  • Nem
    8014 posts League Winner
    edited May 2021
    Can anyone top this team of big money flops?

Shevchenko Torres (Chelsea years)
    Veron
    Sanchez Bakayoko Drinkwater Robinho
    Mangala Bogarde Mustafi
    Kepa

What a steaming pile of 💩
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    15932 posts World Class
    edited May 2021
    For me it has to be kepa, followed by shevchenko... Both went for huge fees, kepa wasn't worth anywhere near that. But sheva was expensive at the time. Both flopped in regards to their fees. Kepa at least, didn't have a reputation built up like sheva however

Sanchez 3rd for me. No fee saves him. But his wages were ridiculous, however par for the course when it comes to free transfers/swaps
  • Nem
    8014 posts League Winner
    edited May 2021
    One player that goes under the radar a bit here is Di Maria.

Chris Sutton another. £10m at a time when that was still a decent chunk of money.
  • SimenHP
    5135 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 2021
    Nem wrote: »
    One player that goes under the radar a bit here is Di Maria.

Chris Sutton another. £10m at a time when that was still a decent chunk of money.

Di Maria was more MU fault tbf + that he was unlucky with injuries at the time. Their system wasn't right for him and instead of changing it, he had to play the way he did. Yes he struggled against the physicality in PL, but when he played for RM he dominated against PL teams in CL and since going to PSG he has started to get back to his "prime" form