A fix for rivals, opinions.

Guvnor
2624 posts Fans' Favourite
So division dropping is still occurring, but I believe the icon swaps will be played in friendlies this time, which for me sucks a little as I’d like to combine the grind to at least earn rewards from rivals.

So what If EA made it so that we had month long rival seasons, where we still get weekly rewards, but couldn’t be relegated until the end of the month, this would mean it would take div 1 players basically 4 months to drop down to div 4, which would end the appeal to relegate. Rewards would work exactly the same each week, it’s just that relegation would not occur until the end of each month, this would give you more than ample opportunity to get out of the relegation zone if you so desired and mean that you would play more people at your level.

I only suggest this as I’m in div 3 and most games are nice tight and fair affairs, but every now and then (becoming more often now) I’m coming up against players who just destroy me and it literally ruins the game experience, they are clearly dropping down to make it easier for themselves.

To me this would negate the need to play friendlies to complete objectives, which I don’t mind for the odd objective but I just don’t have the time to play 30 rivals, 10 to 15 friendlies, 30 wk league games and squad battles games. Now yes I know it’s not a requirement to play them all, it’s a choice, but we are pretty much all fifa addicts who want maximum returns so most of us will certainly try, and what I find it does is make it a chore rather than an enjoyable gaming experience.

What do we think? Is this a good idea or are there pitfalls that I haven’t envisaged?

Comments

• djnition
    1568 posts Play-Off Hero
    Great idea but ea wont change a thing so its a pointless discussion
  • RadioShaq
    19818 posts Moderator
    Like the above anyone who goes up and down naturally would quit playing.
  • Guvnor
    edited October 2020
    kraid wrote: »
    Think of lil’ Timmy. Lil’ Timmy got lucky in his placement matches and ended up in division 3 even though he’s not fantastic at Fifa. It’s gonna take lil’ Timmy 2 months of utter abuse in rivals to get to his actual level of division 5. Do you think lil’ Timmy will still be playing in 2 months? I don’t.

Justice for Timmy.

Yep, this did cross my mind, the thing is, I have 6 close friends who play Fifa and I chat with often, and we all got put in the division that matches our ability, how about your friends? Would be interesting to know. Now I do understand that there will be a few who this will penalise but I think the vast majority of people will of been put in the correct division!

• Guvnor
    What if EA made the initial rivals placement a longer more thorougher experience. So it can gauge the ability of players better?
  • Fifapayne
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    Just cause you get owned in one game doesn’t mean the dude isn’t a d3 player as well.
    Some people just match up better than others.
  • ChappellRovers
    3408 posts National Call-Up
    I like the new format if im being honest. Treats rivals as a separate thing, results in less rage quits and more people trying. At the end of the day they added the FUT champs games counting towards your rivals, which negates half of what you are saying. Also no one needs to hit elite for everything. The rewards aren’t specific players just packs. Some packs are better than others i finished rank 3 for rivals. Took untradeable, got Kante and Alisson in a rare electrum pack. Trying to finish elite 3 for SB. I haven’t qualified for WL yet, im a bit more casual/take it slow.

The big pitfall as i can see it is there is no point in catering to the addicts. The addicts will play no matter what, you need to appeal to the casuals which they are successfully doing. If you cater to the addicts you put the casuals off and thats where their extra revenue comes from. The addict money is a certain thing, the casual money is not.
  • Leandrinho
    1619 posts Fans' Favourite
    If they would make relegations and promotions based one the 30 games every week it would be perfect (so no one could relegate them self after the 30 games)
  • Guvnor
    Fifapayne wrote: »
    Just cause you get owned in one game doesn’t mean the dude isn’t a d3 player as well.
    Some people just match up better than others.

Im experienced enough to know the difference between facing a good div 3 player and a div 1 dropper though.

Was just a throwaway idea anyway! Was interested to see what others thought. Maybe we will return to this if Icon objectives are in rivals in a month or so. Thanks for input though fellas!
  • Guvnor
    Leandrinho wrote: »
    If they would make relegations and promotions based one the 30 games every week it would be perfect (so no one could relegate them self after the 30 games)

I like this, but some will defo take a week of no rewards to drop to a lower division!
  • Guvnor
    I like the new format if im being honest. Treats rivals as a separate thing, results in less rage quits and more people trying. At the end of the day they added the FUT champs games counting towards your rivals, which negates half of what you are saying. Also no one needs to hit elite for everything. The rewards aren’t specific players just packs. Some packs are better than others i finished rank 3 for rivals. Took untradeable, got Kante and Alisson in a rare electrum pack. Trying to finish elite 3 for SB. I haven’t qualified for WL yet, im a bit more casual/take it slow.

The big pitfall as i can see it is there is no point in catering to the addicts. The addicts will play no matter what, you need to appeal to the casuals which they are successfully doing. If you cater to the addicts you put the casuals off and thats where their extra revenue comes from. The addict money is a certain thing, the casual money is not.

The fut champs has always counted its just now it’s fixed at 30 games it means it’s gone from being a Wk league bonus to a penalisation. Making Thursday rival grind day at the same time!

As for no rage quits and people trying, yes at the moment that may be the case, but wait until your division is full of division droppers all chasing the icon objectives and come back to me, because at the moment the only legit droppers are div 1 and 2 who are dropping to 4 because the rewards work out almost level, but once div 3 and 4 players start dropping to say div 6,7 Ect then it will also effect the casuals, and as the guy at the top of the page said I can’t see the casuals carrying on playing when every time they log in they get whooped by a superior player.

As for catering to the casuals over the addicts, I’m not so sure, casuals buy the game, play for a month and then move on, the more hardcore FIFA players generally stay invested for the whole cycle which gives them more opportunity to spend real cash on coins which I think is EAs end objective!

All fair points though and I appreciate the input! Like I said was just an idea I thought I’d throw out there. 👍.
  • Staxdoobie
    2426 posts Fans' Favourite
    Guvnor wrote: »
    kraid wrote: »
    Think of lil’ Timmy. Lil’ Timmy got lucky in his placement matches and ended up in division 3 even though he’s not fantastic at Fifa. It’s gonna take lil’ Timmy 2 months of utter abuse in rivals to get to his actual level of division 5. Do you think lil’ Timmy will still be playing in 2 months? I don’t.

Justice for Timmy.

Yep, this did cross my mind, the thing is, I have 6 close friends who play Fifa and I chat with often, and we all got put in the division that matches our ability, how about your friends? Would be interesting to know. Now I do understand that there will be a few who this will penalise but I think the vast majority of people will of been put in the correct division!

The placement matches were a bit of a sham, if you ask me. And they certainly didn’t take into account what Div you were in last FIFA. It put me in Div 4 - which, if you ever saw me play, is ridiculous. I’ve spent the first two weeks getting absolutely savaged in Rivals, dropping from 1250 to 990 skill rating. And I’m still struggling. I can see the merit in your system, but maybe 10-15 placement matches would give a more accurate result.
  • IraqBruin
    2242 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 2020
    Like I mentioned before, treat divisions the same way divisions are done in real life, you have 30 games per season/weak to stay in your division or promote up /relegate down one division, any game after that would not count towards anything other than WL points.

Of course that would work if you separate the WL's 30 from Rivals' 30